Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Beamdog's final enhancement - now with new premium modules

Fishy

Savant
Thought I'd start with the base game campaign to get used to the UI. Boy, was that a mistake... I might just dump it and head straight for the player-made modules.

Probably a good idea. You could always start with something like Swordflight.

Nah, not yet, I've got a list of good short-ish modules thanks to Lilura. Swordflight looks way too long and involved for my current mood, so probably Snow Hunt.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Finally finished the module and I would like to echo Sabotin in his assessment of the module.

Very good presentation throughout but somewhat mediocre story and reactivity. Really liked the integration with realms lore, which made the world feel less like closed playpen.

Overall I enjoyed my time with the game and think it definitely was worth the asking price.

deama

Prophet
A thing to keep in mind about Lilura assessments is that she thinks a perfectly enjoyable RPG like Underrail is terrible and not worth playing because it isn't as good as Fallout at what it does nor as good as Jagged Alliance 2 at what it does. An "if it's not better than the existing best, then why should I bother?" attitude.

I always compare the new with what I consider to be the best of all time, yes. "Good for what it is" doesn't exist in my commentary.

I didn't enjoy Underrail. In the back of my mind, loomed Fallout and Jagged Alliance 2. I'd rather replay them or mod them because they are the best.

And as for NWN, Swordflight is the best. By far. Thus, every new/remade module gets compared to it. CToT + Tyrants cuts a poor figure against it, as does Daggerford. Even Aielund can't stand alongside it, and it's a great series with a big reputation in the community.

Have you read my interview with Rogueknight? I think it's a good read.
I played Aielund, I thought it was ok but stopped at chapter 3 or 4?
The one where you get fucked by the kingdom mage and then executed, but then get revived, I didn't like that my lvl 24 monk was so easily fucked by a mage and died so simply as he should have been able to easily breakthrough, resist the mage, or just run away when they were executing him.

Would swordflight be better for me then? Does it go into epic levels?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Would swordflight be better for me then?

Swordflight is better for everyone.

everyone2.jpg

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It always makes me chuckle when I come across this thread's name. It's quite overly optimistic of you, they can always move on to the Gold Box games, Wizardries or non-RPG.
:happytrollboy:

rogueknight333

Arbiter
Would swordflight be better for me then?

Swordflight is better for everyone.

Personally I would not recommend it to NWN noobs, as they are liable to find the difficulty of the combat excessive. It is probably advisable to acquire at least some familiarity with NWN builds and tactics in relatively easier modules (e.g., Aielund) before attempting Swordflight.

Does swordflight have romance?

Those looking for romances in their games might also be well advised to try something else.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
It always makes me chuckle when I come across this thread's name. It's quite overly optimistic of you, they can always move on to the Gold Box games, Wizardries or non-RPG.

Can't wait for their updated Gold Box games complete with a shitty pxiel filter slapped on top.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

One can never know, but they've said several times since earlier this year that they're done with enhanced editions: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...-nights-to-console.121644/page-5#post-6020635
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...-nights-to-console.121644/page-6#post-6020647
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...-nights-to-console.121644/page-9#post-6228683

But if they were to make another one, the next logical step would be TTOEE or NWN2 rather than Gold Box.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Isn't there a problem with getting the rights from Atari for NWN2 and ToEE? I seem to recall something like that.

Cael

Arcane

One can never know, but they've said several times since earlier this year that they're done with enhanced editions: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...-nights-to-console.121644/page-5#post-6020635
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...-nights-to-console.121644/page-6#post-6020647
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...-nights-to-console.121644/page-9#post-6228683

But if they were to make another one, the next logical step would be TTOEE or NWN2 rather than Gold Box.
And you believe the frauds?

Joonas

Arcane
Developer
Finished Tyrants of the Moonsea. Created a new character (human fighter) and finished at level 22 after 23 hours. Once you get some quality equipment for you and the henchmen, the module becomes a bit too easy. As others have said, some areas were almost empty. I really liked the Forgotten Realms lore. Where is the fallen solar?

Not module related but the EE engine clearly still has some issues. Crashed several times, also during quicksaving resulting in a corrupt save. Once I got stuck between an opened door (the character literally was inside the door) and could not move to any direction.

It amazed me already in 2002 how bad and inconsistent the 2d art in the game is. The biggest turn off for me is that everything in the game just screams that it was done in an editor making it very difficult to immerse into the game. The game world just seems so dead and just waits for the player to interact with it.

Fishy

Savant
Thought I'd start with the base game campaign to get used to the UI. Boy, was that a mistake... I might just dump it and head straight for the player-made modules.
The traditional campaign to start with is A Dance With Rogues.

Well... That... was... something...

That said, fanfic-lewd-scenes apart, it was a pretty cool rogue campaign, and I'd lie if I said the lewd bits aren't part of the charm. Pity there isn't a Part 3 to tie up the loose ends. And I'm definitely used to the awkward (to be polite, because I mean utterly shite) nwn UI now. It's a pity the party control is such a downgrade from IE games, some large party-based fights can be infuriating.

Torn between Aielund Saga and Swordflight now for the next big one. Doing some more short ones in the meantime while I ponder the next move. I feel like I've gone through the rabbit hole. I skipped the game in its days due to its seemingly multiplayer focus, but wow, it's a complete treasure trove of single player stuff by now. The UI is abject and the graphical engine blocky as sin, but ah, you get used to it. I'm seriously impressed at the player modules scene.

Sacibengala

Prophet
Hey guys. How do I play infinite dungeons on diamond online? I already downloaded the file itself, but how does online works nowadays? I installed the NWNCx but can't find the Skywing's Master Server List Replacement DLL anywhere.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
Just about to play through this for the first time. Felt great just playing through the tutorial tbh. Great music, nice atmosphere, and just that old school D&D vibe.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
beamdogmutt

:x

there exist few hells horrible enough to house these cheeky bastards

when i'm elected supreme leader of the free world this will be rectified

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I still can't stand how EE runs on my 3.8GHz/GTX 1080 system with the constant micro-stutter. It just totally chaps my ass. Occasional stutter... no problem. But microstutter every time I fucking just rotate the camera is unacceptable. And I'm not one of those mentally ill tech-nutters that needs 60 FPS else they simply can't play a game. I can even tolerate 24 FPS... as long as it's consistently 24 FPS with no noticeable stutter. I remember playing Diamond on my very old ATI 9800 video card years ago and it ran like a well-lubed glass cock. Smooth, smooth, smooth.

YldriE

Learned
That's basic troubleshooting but have you tried disabling everything and lowering to like 800x600 to see whether the performance would be stable? It would still be a fuck-up on Beamdog's part but at least you would eventually be able to corner the one thing that's causing the stutter.

Sacibengala

Prophet
Hey guys. How do I play infinite dungeons on diamond online? I already downloaded the file itself, but how does online works nowadays? I installed the NWNCx but can't find the Skywing's Master Server List Replacement DLL anywhere.

I didn't know and don't know if you guys are aware of it. But I discovered why it was not working. When you install your GOG version of Diamond, the cdkey is generic for everybody. To play online without problems, you need to take the personal cdkey on the gog website and change the cdkey.ini in the root files for it to work. didn't worth the trouble, though, because I played it a little bit and it was boring as hell.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom