Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sacibengala

Prophet
When I see, that some random citizen post interesting news on codex:
NNzJ8G8.gif
Wait is today the Random Citizen day in Metrocity?
I knew it all along. You all are jewish russian bots!

CITIZEN arKANE

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Dude, they released a great demo the day the Kickstarter launched. It's a strong implementation of D&D combat. The verticality creates some interesting possibilities, but that's not why people are giving them money.

I played it when it was released before the patch, well, the beginning at least, it was alright but on the weak side and walking "through" enemies because they were suspended above was more confusing than fun.

Still, it might turn out alright, i can't really put the finger on what i dislike beside their early communication and the cheap and linear exploration, it's only small things, like the knight who's able to block without damage an attack directed to an ally but takes a full blow when he's targeted, that's just retarded.
And the spiders climbing down the wall on round 2+, it's just unnecessary.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Uh, is this a thing? Isn't the whole point of the SRD that you don't need a license? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tacticaladventures/solasta-crown-of-the-magister/posts/2630193

Wizards of the Coast granted us a license to use the Dungeons and Dragons SRD 5.1 Ruleset!

Press release even, with Mathieu Girard's comment and disclaimers all that: https://www.gamasutra.com/view/pres...ACTICAL_RPG_SOLASTA_CROWN_OF_THE_MAGISTER.php

DUNGEONS & DRAGONS SRD 5.1 CONTENT AND RULES COMING TO TACTICAL RPG SOLASTA: CROWN OF THE MAGISTER

With a Free Demo and Over 95% Funding on Kickstarter, Tactical Adventures will use SRD 5.1 Content and Rules

PARIS, FRANCE – SEPTEMBER 24, 2019 – French independent developer, Tactical Adventures, announced today that Wizards of the Coast has granted them a license to use the Dungeons & Dragons SRD 5.1 content and rules in their upcoming tactical role-playing video game Solasta: Crown of the Magister. Tactical Adventures released a completely free, one-hour pre-alpha demo of Solasta: Crown of the Magister on Steam earlier this month. In addition to the free demo a crowdfunding campaign on Kickstarter has seen the support from over 4,300 backers, and more than $190,000 pledged out of the $200,000 goal with nine days left in the campaign.

Critical Role, the smash hit show featuring popular voice actors playing Dungeons & Dragons, recently featured a gameplay session of Solasta: Crown of the Magister’s free demo. Check out the video HERE: www.youtube.com/watch?v=49haijyLyB0

Watch the Solasta: Crown of the Magister Kickstarter launch trailer HERE: www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sU5JvaUegA

“We are absolutely thrilled at the response Solasta has been receiving. On top of it, garnering the license from Wizards of the Coast is a big step forward for the game,” said Mathieu Girard, founder of Tactical Adventures and Creative Director of the game. “We are excited to fully embrace the SRD5 rules, and the license opens up many more creative opportunities to build Solasta as our fans expect.”

The dynamic and mysterious world of Solasta features elements of verticality, allowing players to use their surroundings as an element of strategy. Players can position ranged characters on high vantage points or send their thief down into shafts and caverns to scope out what’s ahead. In Solasta, light is a tool to explore the depths and hollows of dungeons or can be used as a weapon against the creatures of the dark, but if not careful, it can also give away the party’s position. Solasta is a unique team-based adventure where each character plays a critical role in the campaign and can be a hero. Players must take advantage of each character’s strengths and weaknesses if they are to succeed.

Solasta: Crown of the Magister Features:
  • Verticality: Solasta is a three-dimensional world, rather than a series of flat maps. Locations can be explored by climbing walls, flying, teleporting, crawling through tunnels, finding secret passages, or falling through unstable ground, allowing the player to use the environment to take on encounters in multiple different ways.
  • Team Based Adventure: Players will have many options to choose races, classes, backgrounds, and can even roll for stats as they create their party. All members are essential - together you will adventure through Solasta as a group, where you must work together in pursuit of your quest.
  • Tactical CRPG: Each encounter can be handled in multiple ways. Will you use the high ground to strike your enemies from above as a Darkweaver Rogue, or shove your enemies into deep chasms as a Mountaineer Fighter? Your choices alone will determine the destiny of your party.
  • Light: Light will not only help to see your surroundings as you explore deep underground or in a dungeon. It can also be used as a weapon against the light-fearing creatures you will encounter along your journey. Careful, though - light can also give away your position.
  • Created by Tabletop Players: Tactical Adventures is a team of highly experienced Tabletop players and veteran game developers who are passionate about the genre, striving to create the best Tactical RPG videogame
  • Kickstarter: Tactical Adventures is giving players the opportunity to be heard by joining the community and backing Solasta on Kickstarter. The campaign features an amazing tiered reward system and a free hour pre-alpha demo available to everyone.
Solasta: Crown of the Magister is now available to back on Kickstarter with a free demo available to play on Steam. Media interested in learning more about Tactical Adventures and Solasta: Crown of the Magister should email Danitra Alomia (danitra@reverbinc.com).

Stay up to date with Solasta: Crown of the Magister: visit the website and Steam, follow on Twitter, Instagram, like on Facebook, watch on YouTube, and Twitch, and join the conversation on Discord or the official forums.

# # #

ABOUT TACTICAL ADVENTURES:

Tactical Adventures is a videogame development studio, created in 2018 by Mathieu Girard, who previously co-founded Amplitude Studios (acquired by Sega in 2016). Located in the heart of Paris, Tactical Adventures is a self-published studio, aiming to create immersive & tactical videogames within the RPG genre. One of the key strengths of the studio’s philosophy revolves around the recruitment of experienced team members, organized into agile teams, whose development process & decisions will be made in collaboration with their community. Tactical Adventures is not affiliated with Wizards of the Coast LLC. Dungeons & Dragons and SRD 5.1 are property of Wizards of the Coast.

ABOUT WIZARDS OF THE COAST

Wizards of the Coast LLC, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc. (NASDAQ:HAS), is the leader in entertaining the lifestyle gamer. Wizards' players and fans are members of a global community bound together by their love of both digital gaming and in person play. The company brings to market a range of gaming experiences under powerful brand names such as MAGIC: THE GATHERING, DUNGEONS & DRAGONS, and AVALON HILL. Wizards is also a publisher of fantasy series fiction with numerous New York Times bestsellers. For more information about its world-renowned brands, visit the Wizards of the Coast Web site at www.wizards.com.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I would like warlocks too and not just because I worship elder things that shouldn't be irl

Imagine some invocations in a game with verticality, Eg

"Repelling Blast
Prerequisite: Eldritch Blast cantrip
When you hit a creature with Eldritch Blast, you can push the creature up to 10 feet away from you in a straight line."

source http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/warlock:eldritch-invocations

Think the possibilities. You can technically use it to make an enemy take fall damage and die, can pull enemies away from your cleric. And there are other invocations that allow jump/levitate that could't exist in any other game without verticality.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tacticaladventures/solasta-crown-of-the-magister/posts/2633781

Stretch Goals & Character Creation Sneak Peek (almost there!)

Hello folks!

As we're getting awfully close to being fully funded and some of you are getting really eager to know what's in store, we're giving you a sneak peek of the upcoming Stretch Goal Table!

25eb3f2e7e991f4755474d8aee685b32_original.png

First comes the Paladin, who will be unlocked immediately when the project is funded as a result of the Community Votes. And ooooh what's next? A new Background to add to the Character Creation!

Backgrounds in Solasta
There's more to Backgrounds than the usual Bonus Proficiencies, Languages & Equipment. In Solasta: Crown of the Magister, Backgrounds will also be crucial in shaping your Characters' personality, giving them different dialog options in various situations. There will also be quests that are background-specific, meaning replaying the game with different Backgrounds may unlock different questlines.

Adding New Backgrounds thus means adding more Dialog Options & more Quests! Note that due to how Backgrounds interact with Personality, Characters in Solasta currently aren't allowed to share the same Background. That being said, remember that we're still early in the development cycle so design may change along the way!

612356bbd7ee893606638203522dcbae_original.png

You were many to ask about Character Creation, as it was absent from the Pre-Alpha Demo on Steam. And for good reasons too! Tabletop RPGs wouldn't be half as fun if you were stuck with Pre-generated characters.

Today we'll be sharing with you our progress on the Character Creation Tool, which is currently being implemented by none other than our Creative Director (and CEO). Please keep in mind that a lot of what you will see is still work in progress, so do not make assumptions based on these images (like the number of races / classes displayed). There might also be some placeholders. But first, a word from the Boss (who's sitting at his desk tinkering with what you're about to see):

The Character Creation was actually the first part of the game I developed (more than a year ago, before the studio was established), in conjunction with the database of classes, races, etc. It made sense to start working on this first, as a good tabletop game starts with character creation. The complexity was to figure out how to handle all the possibilities of character creation in a unique interface. It was fully functional in our early prototype, then set aside as we focused on the Ruins of Telema and in-game features. Now that we are moving our focus towards developing the full game experience, our UI/UX partners FIGS have produced the gorgeous concepts that you see today. They know RPGs, but they are not SRD experts so there may be incorrect / temporary fluff in some screens. I have also started implementing this new design to enable the final Character Creation feature for the game.

29155ac5a9e0b668f3ffc151f5b17e79_original.png

Race Selection
I believe most of you will be very familiar with Character Creation works, though I'll still be explaining for those who may not know the system so well. You will first be selecting the Race & Sub-Race of your character, which will grant you Racial Features and Stat Bonuses.

3cc7d6bc025124ec1c30898ca374b69c_original.png

Class Selection
After that, you'll be choosing your Class. This will give you Class Features, Proficiencies and Saving Throws on top of what you already got from selecting your Race. Skills will be selected later down the line, and Spellcasting Classes such as the Wizard here will be selecting their Spells after that.

59e61f68f1daa0d3d3de5e6f25d4a5c4_original.png

Background Selection
We're now reaching Background Selection. As we presented at the beginning of this article, Backgrounds in Solasta actually have a lot of hidden attributes on top of the usual Proficiencies and Equipment, so do keep that in mind when selecting one!

712038c2a2ad38ba90efbd1c65322f47_original.png

Ability Selection - Dice Roll
You've been patient so far, now is finally the time to roll the dice! In the current system, we're using the standard 4d6 drop 1 - meaning you throw four 6-faced dice, keep the three best rolls and add them up to get an attribute score (rinse & repeat 6 times). And for those who like to "force their luck" we have an option to reroll the dice as many time as you want. It's a single player game, no-one will judge you. Maybe.

For those who want, you also have the option to use the Standard Array as shown here in the "Predetermined" option. Standard Array gives you a score of 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8 - which you can then distribute as you want in the different Attributes.

440939dfbd3d56de15aa5d57cada10b9_original.png

Ability Selection - Point Buy
We also have the Point Buy System for those who prefer it that way. How it works is that all your Attributes start at 8, and you have 27 points to spend. You can't get an Attribute past 15 (before Racial Bonuses), and increasing one past 13 cost 2 points instead of 1 per Attribute point (so 12 -> 13 costs 1 point, but 14 -> 15 costs 2 points).

This is the end of our Character Creation Preview for today! We'll have more to show in the weeks to come.

c2b6c1ca5f261cd5c1569ac3f6631073_original.png

Today we're featuring an adorable and fairly original Fan Art by Sarraiah: a cute Space Hamster holding a D20! The story behind it is fairly sweet - SpaceHamster is one of our most active community members in Discord, and there was a lot of discussions about Rangers & Pets. So... Space Hamster Pet. Note that while absolutely adorable, we have already stated that Pets are not currently planned for Solasta - and not even a cute drawing will make us go back on that decision.

67308515885218c77549a882a40b6107_original.png

Now it's been quite some time, here is an update of where we're sitting at for the Social Goals!

Prequel Short Story in 2 more Goals!

357f700915fc7d3fd182a756a8cb43f7_original.png

Like like this update

Last edited by a moderator:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The UI is cool but it really looks too sci-fi-y.
It's the thing that bothered me the most in the demo. UI doesn't mesh well with the rest of the game. But I also find it ugly in general. Especially the inventory/equipment screen.

Ysaye

Arbiter
The backgrounds bit (and no one character having the same) is interesting; I was wondering how they were going to limit the amount of different dialogue that they would have to produce (and voice act as per the demo!) but that is probably how they are keeping it to a somewhat reasonable level.

purpleblob

Savant
I like the dice rolling bit. Hmm I wonder how many different background choices the game will offer. The UI look too modern imo - would be nice if it has more fantasy feel to it but I guess I am nitpicking.

getter77

Augur
U/I seems fine given it is almost certainly going to get improved tremendously going forward as they indicate it more of a statement of intent as such an early element compared to the rest.

Hamlet

Novice
They might as well seek out the full license, WOTC isn't doing anything interesting with it anyway. This Avatar Crisis we are experiencing is becoming somewhat grating, fellow citizens. It seems Dark Underlord cares little for our individuality. Why doesn't he simply force us all to wear Stars of David, or something to that effect?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:yeah:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tacticaladventures/solasta-crown-of-the-magister/posts/2634697

You did it, 100% Funded! Stretch Goals start now!

You people are fantastic! We reached 100%!
f58fdcb11e6b638da25179b8138bbea4_original.png

Get yourself a drink, round's on us!

Thank you, thank you from the bottom of our heart. From the very start of the project, we poured the passion we had for Tabletop RPGs into Solasta: Crown of the Magister. We stayed in the dark for some time, turning a prototype into a real, solid and beautiful game - followed by working on a public Demo.

During that time, there is one question that's always in the back of every game developer's head - will players like it? Then we went to Gen Con this summer with the first version of the playable Demo, and the tabletop crowd loved it. We went to Gamescom, and the journalists loved it. We went to Pax West, and the video game community loved it.

Finally, we went to Kickstarter and you guys loved it. It's thanks to every last one of you that we're funded today, and that we'll be able to expand beyond the initial scope of the game. As promised, these $200,000 will go towards many things, the most important being more content!

30332a19a0a1166002d09787bff577a1_original.png

bd121a44763abc7f1e593d12e343a84e_original.png

Stretch Goals will be gradually revealed as we reach more and more of them!

The first Stretch Goal is the New Background: Lawkeeper!

You have an instinct for spotting trouble and the force of personality to nip it in the bud. As a deputy, you learned how to spot a lie and how to discourage a troublemaker with nothing but a cold-eyed stare. And if keeping the peace and protecting the innocent requires you to break a few heads, you're ready. After some time working in law enforcement in the Principality of Masgarth, you discovered that dealing with petty criminals on a daily basis wasn’t enough for you, and you left for a different life - one of travel and discovery, hoping that your experience and personal qualities would serve you well.

The second Stretch Goal is the New Feature: Party Banter!

Part of the fun of Tabletop RPGs is the "friendly" and "wholesome" remarks from your companions when you roll the dice - even more so when you fail repeatedly. It just wouldn't have the same charm without these jabs and sarcastic comments now, would it?

Well, worry not - you will now be able to experience this in Solasta: Crown of the Magister as well! The kind Cleric that encourages you to do better next time, the wholesome Paladin who tells you not to give up... Or the Rogue who simply laughs at you and tell you how much you suck. It's always the Rogue. Why is it always the Rogue.

The third Stretch Goal is... Thought I would tell you? You'll see soon enough!

As a reminder, the Paladin is already unlocked from reaching 100% of the Campaign Goal.

c2b6c1ca5f261cd5c1569ac3f6631073_original.png

As good news come in pair (wait what), we're happy to announce that we've reached the first tier of the Referral Program, meaning every backer gets the In-Game Item: Dwarven Bread! Keep spreading the word of Solasta out there!

dbd1c5ca5e28953ee675abaafaf08594_original.png

Delicious (not really) AND deadly as an improvised weapon!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom