Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your TOP 5 favorite rpg settings!

Tell us you Top 5 fave settings

• Total voters
Not in Any Specific order

1 ) AD&D FR Ice wind dale
2) Fallout Southwest Desert
3) Warhammer 40k (very entertaining lore)
4) Conan Cimmeria
5) Gamma World
6 ) Glorantha/Rune Quest
7) Grim Dawn

Last edited:

Gibson

Learned
Planescape

Other than the ones i voted for, there's quite a lot of settings i would love to see a good party-based TB cRPG adaptation, specially if the focus isn't on graphics or gimmicks but quests, combat, character dev and a bit of story/scripted events.

Here they are :

The potential of Discworld for an excellent RPG (even if people haven't read the books) is well over 9000. The Locations, The Magic, The Guilds, the Races,...a proper Team could go crazy on that setting. I'm not really the one that enjoys Cities much (IRL and in Games) but to be able to wander around Ankh.Morpork....pfff, DUDE!!!

Kliwer

Savant
If someone will ever try to make a Discworld RPG it will be a disaster. Books are very popular so it will be a game for casuals and mass market..

Moreover the idea is quite absurd. Discworld is a parody of fantasy and RPGs. How could you make something from its own parody?

Discworld is good setting for adventure games (and there are some of them) if you could find competent writters. But I do not belive than any modern company could make a good cRPG in this setting.

Silva

Arcane
The Brazilian Slaughter , Lithium Flower , SMAC's Planet need your vote bros. Let's sink Forgotten Realms to the depths of hell where it belongs.

Speaking of hell... just a remind that Planescape is much more than Sigil. It has Avernus too, one of infinite hells with it's share of creatures, lava, red skies and FUCKING WAR MACHINES that devils use to war Mad Max style.

images

Shin Megami Tensei - For the general blend of mythology and occultism.
Well remembered. What Shin Megami has the best setting in your opinion? Nocturne demon apocalypse is moody af. But that future Tokyo from SMT4 also is, as is Persona with it's modern day Jungian magic.

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
Results so far:

1st place: Planescape multiverse, Fallout Wasteland (52 votes)
3rd place: Morrowind (35 votes)
4th place: Dark Sun (31 votes)
5th place: Forgotten Realms, World of Darkness (28 votes)

Egosphere

Arcane
About Arcanum, I don't know, it's flavorful as fuck sure, but I feel it's more due to it's conceptual premise (steampunk+fantasy) than it's world building proper. I've never felt it's world was as compelling as the greats like Sigil or Dragon Pass or Fallout's

Probably because it's a lot larger and less dense in lore and content relative to fallout/pst. But there is def. a lot of world building in Arcanum: the looming war between Tarant and Caladon; destruction and enslavement of the nomadic tribes (orcs);accelerating tech breakthroughs that are pushing everyone other than humans farther out into the fringes of the continent; the old gods etc. My favourite part of Arcanum is that it never explicitly tells you why tech is destroying the practice of magic, but the answer may be gleaned from the mechanics themselves.

Quillon

Arcane
West coast Fallout & Witcher.

Cyberpunk's alternate universe sounds cool. TOW we'll see.

Dragon Age was cool when it was dark fantasy. Maker didn't protect it.

I'd like to see an RPG set in aSoIaF's known world.

Also there is real world - any time period :obviously: but its under-utilized. So far the amateurish attempt of Warhorse and Alpha Brotocol is the only ones that I know of, of the top of my head.

Last edited:

Ysaye

Arbiter
Other settings I like apart from those in the poll (and/or would like to see more games set in):
1. Lodoss the Acursed Island
2. Great Underground Empire (GUE)
3. Aventuria
4. The world of Septerra
5. Zemuria

Falksi

Arcane
Morrowind was s-u-p-e-r-b. Every other corner was a magical discovery of wonderment.

Kingdoms of Amalur:Reckoning had something special about it.

Final Fantasy 7 too.

Shadowhearts: Covenant's blend of fanstasy & reality really hit the nail on the bellend.

Mass Effect captured a vibe that as a kid I dreamed of when I wanted to explore Space in the year 2000.

Worth noting that Dragon Age: Inquisition doesn't have one single ounce of interest in it's entire being what-so-ever.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Once, I would've said both Tamriel and The Wasteland, but Bethesda managed to fuck up both so bad that I genuinely have no interest anymore. So I went for World of Darkness (under the assumption that we're talking about oWoD and not gWoD) and Charon ("SMAC's planet") instead.

Other than that, I'd be lying if I said that Forgotten Realms (pre-4e, obviously), Dark Sun (again, pre-4e at least), and Planescape aren't all the way up there somewhere at the top. I'd also want to add Starjammer, because it's pretty fucking cash.

Silva

Arcane
Once, I would've said both Tamriel and The Wasteland, but Bethesda managed to fuck up both so bad that I genuinely have no interest anymore. So I went for World of Darkness (under the assumption that we're talking about oWoD and not gWoD) and Charon ("SMAC's planet") instead.

Other than that, I'd be lying if I said that Forgotten Realms (pre-4e, obviously), Dark Sun (again, pre-4e at least), and Planescape aren't all the way up there somewhere at the top. I'd also want to add Starjammer, because it's pretty fucking cash.
Do you think ignoring Oblivion would change your mind? I mean, the settings in Daggerfall, Morrowind and Skyrim are fairly good, right?

And it's "Chiron" and "Spelljammer". What are you smoking, I want some.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

Do you think ignoring Oblivion would change your mind? I mean, the settings in Daggerfall, Morrowind and Skyrim are fairly good, right?

And it's "Chiron" and "Spelljammer". What are you smoking, I want some.
Yeah, you're right, it's Chiron and Spelljammer, I'm just tired and getting shit mixed up.

Setting-wise, Skyrim was better than Oblivion, but it still pulls and builds on Oblivion more than anything, in a wider sense, even if you thankfully do not see much of it, so I just lump it all together and chuck it out.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I can only urge the Codex to set aside its differences and vote in 5 settings other than the Forgotten Realms, the most generic and bland D&D/AD&D setting, adopted by TSR as an inferior replacement for Greyhawk after the ouster of Gary Gygax. The poll could easily contain 5 more worthwhile settings just from the other fully-fledged D&D/AD&D campaign settings published by TSR.

Vorark

Erudite
Well remembered. What Shin Megami has the best setting in your opinion? Nocturne demon apocalypse is moody af. But that future Tokyo from SMT4 also is, as is Persona with it's modern day Jungian magic.

I'm no expert, played only a couple of the games in the series. You hit the nail on the head, though: Nocturne's setting is absolutely fantastic, it conveys so much in its minimalistic style and oozes atmosphere. I'm also a big fan of Persona 3 "end of the world, gloominess and learning to move on" motifs and Devil Survivor 1 "fight for survival in a demonic invasion".

Deleted Member 16721

Morrowind was s-u-p-e-r-b. Every other corner was a magical discovery of wonderment.

Kingdoms of Amalur:Reckoning had something special about it.

Final Fantasy 7 too.

Mass Effect captured a vibe that as a kid I dreamed of when I wanted to explore Space in the year 2000.

Yep, agreed on these. Amalur is a cool mention, it was definitely special and had great lore and a great setting. If I replay it I would probably use the difficulty mod with it though. Base game was a bit too easy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom