Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Party banter is a great feature and you who like Wizardry 8 should know this better than most.

Wizardry 8 is the exception but even there, i don't like them all, some are annoying, even, if only you could check them all when you select personalities ...

Look, if i'm wrong and all the unnecessary/retarded features don't weight so much on the budget they get all the necessary features right, i'm buying 3 copies of the game.
I'm not taking much risks because i'm sure it'll weight a lot on an indie budget and the result will be underwhelming.

Dorateen

Arcane
gallery-1469116863-therock-424pyxurz.jpg

Thonius

Arcane
Gotta say those goals are meh... not worth Kickstartering for me... 200k for a single class? Sounds meh...Voice-overs? Who the fuck cares? Oh right retards do!
Gonna cancel pledge a day before end day. Gonna buy game later with regional pricing of wooping 700RUB or something similar (10bucks).
Voice acting bwahaha, fucking larian and their cohorts of crayon eating monkeys.

getter77

Augur
Presumably the Ranger and any more exotic racial and class fare will get illuminated after these initial mini-goals get a bit of traction as they chase down the finish line.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I say again: Knights of the Chalice has some of the best D&D combat I’ve ever seen in a CRPG, and KOTC only had three races and three classes.

Everybody loves having lots of character creation options, but I suspect that limiting the number of permutations for the player makes it easier to design good encounters.

Solasta has a really thorough implementation of the rules. It’s fine for their focus to be narrow as long as the game has a lot of depth.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tacticaladventures/solasta-crown-of-the-magister/posts/2634924

Reddit AMA starts now!

Hey there folks!

We'll be answering questions from 7 am PDT / 10 am EDT / 4 pm CEST onward on Reddit. We'll be there for at least 3 hours, maybe more! Don't hesitate to drop by, just click on this link!

I will be joined today by:
  • Tactical Archimat - Our Creative Director, CEO & Lead Programmer (we all wonder how much sleep he gets)
  • Tactical Zaz - Our Gameplay & Narrative Director
  • Tactical Myzzrym - Myself, Community Lead!
See you there!

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Still, it might turn out alright, i can't really put the finger on what i dislike beside their early communication and the cheap and linear exploration, it's only small things, like the knight who's able to block without damage an attack directed to an ally but takes a full blow when he's targeted, that's just retarded.
That's just an animation, it's just a rough approximation of what's actually happening in the rules. Were you also bothered that you could "hit" an enemy with your sword in Morrowind but the game still counting it as a miss if the attack roll was too low?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
That's just an animation, it's just a rough approximation of what's actually happening in the rules. Were you also bothered that you could "hit" an enemy with your sword in Morrowind but the game still counting it as a miss if the attack roll was too low?

I would have but i'm not sure i played Morrowind long enough to meet an enemy at all.
Walking in the woods 10 minutes watching mushrooms and butterflies was enough for me to hit uninstall and never look back.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.shacknews.com/article/1...magister-brings-the-tabletop-experience-to-pc

Solasta: Crown of the Magister brings the tabletop experience to PC
Verticality plays a major role in how combat and exploration works in Solasta: Crown of the Magister.

Developed and published by Tactical Adventures, Solasta: Crown of the Magister looks like a tabletop game poured into a video game. This is a purpose-built experience, as the team are incredibly passionate about classic pen-and-paper games like D&D. Please check out the video below!

The title is being developed by a small team and is currently raising funds through Kickstarter. The main appeal of Solasta: Crown of the Magister, as mentioned above, is how the team has managed to encapsulate that tabletop experience. Players will adventure through a rich campaign in a magic-infused world.

Character customization will be a big element in Solasta: Crown of the Magister. There are the classic classes players should expect, but there are some surprises too. Solasta is its own universe, so the developers have created classes specific to that world.

Unlike other turn-based tactical games that typically only utilizes on plane, Solasta: Crown of the Magister leans heavily into the third dimension.

solasta-crown-of-the-magister-verticality.jpg

There’s a lot of verticality present in Solasta: Crown of the Magister. Combat takes own a whole new challenge as the levels and world rise up around you. While some characters use ladders to reach new heights, the team have created a class that excels at climbing difficult terrain.

While we did try to sniff out any potential of co-op or campaign editor tools, the team’s main focus is on the campaign. They want to deliver the best fantasy-style tactical RPG possible. It’s certainly shaping up to be just that!

Players that are looking to get their hands on Solasta: Crown of the Magister to see what it’s all about ahead of release can download a demo through Steam. This demo should give players a good insight into what they can expect from this turn-based tactical RPG. There’s currently no release date, with Solasta: Crown of the Magister Steam page stating: When it’s ready! However, it can be added to your wishlist on Steam where updates will be posted.

Ysaye

Arbiter

The munchkins can't help themselves repeatedly and incessantly asking about bloody multiclassing can they?

I have to say it must be really annoyinv to be a developer and have a clear view of what you are doing (which IMO it seems they do and which I think is a really good thing) but still have to put up with people wanting to have all of their every feature from every game they ever liked implemented; I get annoyed for them just reading that!

Darkzone

Arcane
The munchkins can't help themselves repeatedly and incessantly asking about bloody multiclassing can they?
Multiclassing is the way for making OP builds. This can be viewed negative or positive, but it can also break the game if it does not adjust CR for encounters.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

But without multiclass how i could make Pun-Pun? Just kidding.

I care for consistency with rules, but multiclass in pnp is up to the DM decide if he allow or not. I allow if have an interesting story reason and the PC wanna build an interesting character. Eg, an fighter that got converted into an new religion and started to pray a lot can receive an cleric level, but if the PC wanna to multiclass only because "improve AC/improve BAB/ saves/etc", i would NEVER allow. A lot of DMs ban multiclassing by a reason. For each guy "i wanna build an interesting character consistent with his story and will multiclass", there are an army of munchkins> https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/706cp5/is_disallowing_allowing_multiclassing_bad_dming/

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
The free demo expires on October 18th: https://www.gamasutra.com/view/pres..._THE_MAGISTER_FULLY_FUNDED_ON_KICKSTARTER.php

With full funding and the recent license grant by Wizards of the Coast to use the Dungeons & Dragons SRD 5.1 content and rules, Tactical Adventures will keep its hour long free demo available on Steam for an additional two weeks. Players will now have access to the completely free demo through October 18. Tactical Adventures will gradually roll out stretch goals adding more content and new features to the project to please its community and to ensure Solasta: Crown of the Magister reaches its full potential. The Kickstarter expires on October 4.

Ysaye

Arbiter
Nobody wants this shit for the story or NPC interaction. We've got enough of that from elsewhere. Make a mechanically faithful D&D game with interesting combat first. Save the story for Solasta 2.
Because ToEE is well known for being a massive commercial success that led to a sequel.

I hear you, though ToEE from memory had those annoying popup circular menus that I thought were reserved for early 2000s JRPGs; that probably cost them a few punters! (Also some of the bugs....)

I think people will rate it if it has enjoyable spatial (including the vertical element) based battles which is fundamentally what a lot of people like about the demo. From the discussion it seems it will be fairly linear with (side quest) branches in terms of design, which is fine and congruous with pnp D&D. I think if they achieve that then strategy game fans may also be keen; I don't know much about Endless Legends but did strategy fans like that? (I see just quickly it has high ratings from a number of sources).

Success is dependent on how you define it; if we are talking financial success then it depends on how much they are forking out on developing the game and associated costs versus the sales. Obviously this game is a little bit also a labour of love for it's creators, so if people like it that might go a way towards their measures of success as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom