Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fluent Plays Stygian

• Thread starter Deleted Member 16721
  • Start date

Deleted Member 16721

Let's see how this goes. I'll post impressions after a bit of time with the game. Looking forward to it.

P.S. I don't make these threads because I'm egotistical or think I'm important. I make them to share my joy, excitement and love for various RPGs. I like sharing with you guys which is why I do these.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
P.S. I don't make these threads because I'm egotistical or think I'm important. I make them to share my joy, excitement and love for various RPGs. I like sharing with you guys which is why I do these.
But you could also do this within the game's dedicated thread.

Deleted Member 16721

I could, but I like making new threads. There's not enough new threads on the Codex, everything gets jumbled into megathreads that are harder to follow. I believe in making new threads here and there for different games. It breaks things up a bit.

barghwata

Savant

That's definitely understandable, but think of what happens if everyone starts posting "x plays x" threads, the forum will be submerged.

Then again i am certainly interested in hearing your and other people's impressions on the game, since i am very curious about it but hesitant to purchase it.

Deleted Member 16721

That's definitely understandable, but think of what happens if everyone starts posting "x plays x" threads, the forum will be submerged.

Then again i am certainly interested in hearing your and other people's impressions on the game, since i am very curious about it but hesitant to purchase it.

Yeah, I understand if everyone posted "x plays x" threads it would get crowded. No one else really does it though, so I'm able to break up the megathreads without crowding the forum, so it works out.

I'll be posting my impressions later. I have to do a few things before I play.

Deleted Member 16721

i know you pick highly hyped game on codex to win some love

i will love you for a week if you play top 10 codex games and say how you love them so much

I actually just picked it because it's my kind of thing. I love deep CRPGs with pen and paper style rulesets, so to me it's a no-brainer.

I played all top 10 of the Codex RPGs and do love them. I'm a fan of Fallout, Planescape Torment, Arcanum, etc..

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Let's see how this goes. I'll post impressions after a bit of time with the game. Looking forward to it.

If only you had to share something of value.

Deleted Member 16721

If only you had to share something of value.

Trust me, I'll share some detailed impressions. I get very deep when I am immersed in CRPGs and notice a lot of interesting things. My impressions will live up to your level of value, just watch. :)

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
stop shitting up the front page with your inane threads
these should be all moved to prosperland

Deleted Member 16721

Alright, some quick impressions after some time with the game.

1 - It's quite polished. Atmosphere is good and believable, game is dark in tone and setting, graphics are good, animations are fine. It sets the atmosphere very well.

2 - It's an investigative type of CRPG. You play someone who has to look into what's going on in this strange world, and it has a detective feel to it. You have to gather clues, find items, read notes and generally figure out what to do yourself. It's quite rewarding in that when you make progress you also gain XP, so it gives a reward feeling to it as you progress through the story and quests.

3 - Character creation is incredible incline. You can choose your age, your belief system, your background - all from a wide range of options. You can configure your skills and attributes as well, and make whatever type of character you could possibly want. Very nice character creation.

4 - Writing is good as well. There are spots to view text about what you're seeing and it's descriptive and well-written. It also helps set the atmosphere.

5 - Combat is deadly. I'm not playing a strong combat character, but I had to retreat from a battle after killing just one enemy, or else I would have died. It's dangerous combat and deliberate, as the pace of the game overall is slow and deliberate. But it's definitely not too slow, unless you're a zoomer and need to move a million miles an hour. It's a nice, relaxed pace that also sets the detective aspect of the game very well.

6 - Lots of skill checks so far. You can really create an interesting character and use your skills in the world via dialogue.

If any of you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'm enjoying the game so far. I will post more impressions later.

Last edited by a moderator:

barghwata

Savant
You play someone who has to look into what's going on in this strange world, and it has a detective feel to it. You have to gather clues, find items, read notes and generally figure out what to do yourself.

Is it a linear experience where you follow the main story or does it have secondary content to go through?

You can choose your age, your belief system, your background - all from a wide range of options.

That sounds great, but judging from what you've seen in your playthrough do you think these things impact the story or the gameplay in a substantial way or are they just secondary characteristics that add little to the game ?

It's dangerous combat and deliberate, as the pace of the game overall is slow and deliberate.
The gameplay footage i've seen did kind of scare me since the combat seemed like such a slog, does it take up a lot of time from the game and if so is it really worth that time?

Deleted Member 16721

Is it a linear experience where you follow the main story or does it have secondary content to go through?

Well I haven't played a ton yet, but so far the world is open and there is side content to explore, but the main story will keep you moving forward. It also lets you piece together the clues on your own, without holding your hand.

That sounds great, but judging from what you've seen in your playthrough do you think these things impact the story or the gameplay in a substantial way or are they just secondary characteristics that add little to the game ?

They impact the game via stats. Your sanity for example, is based on which background philosophy you've chosen. Age plays a part in how skilled you are - the older you are the more skill points you gain via experience, but you lose attributes like Physique, or Senses. Your background job description plays a part in your skills as well, what you'll be skilled in and what you will need to work on or leave unskilled.

The gameplay footage i've seen did kind of scare me since the combat seemed like such a slog, does it take up a lot of time from the game and if so is it really worth that time?

The game is not a slog, it's slow but it's not too slow. Combat, I had to run after killing one raving lunatic because the game said "the escape route is open!" and i couldn't possibly take down the other lunatics, so I ran. I still gained XP and had an impact on my stats from the combat. But no, it's not too slow, at least not for me, but I should let you know that I'm a slow player in general and don't mind this kind of thing.

Responses in bold. Hope that helps.

Deleted Member 16721

Alright, so some more impressions.

Combat is definitely slow, but it's intense, dangerous and fun. Sometimes you win by the skin of your teeth.

The game is very fun so far. It's rewarding with the progress you make, lots of loot, some crafting materials, story objects that need identifying and so on. Quite interesting.

Deleted Member 16721

Yeah it's definitely decent so far. Having some fun with it.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I like the itemization quite a bit. Unusual items and capabilities they give. Refreshing!

Deleted Member 16721

I like the itemization quite a bit. Unusual items and capabilities they give. Refreshing!

Yep, pretty neat itemization. I haven't explored crafting yet, but I've picked up some empty syringes and stuff like that. Seems there's quite a lot to craft if you get into it.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
You could also jump off a bridge. But like Mick Jagger once said, you don't always get what you want.

(don't actually jump off a bridge)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom