Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones - a Lovecraftian Computer RPG

Jrpgfan

Erudite
I finally managed to kill the guards in front of the bank without the game glitching only to find out they're still there like nothing happened. What a turn off.

I guess I'll wait for a few patches and hope they have atleast fixed the bigger issues.

Jinn

Arcane
So I'm playing this thing, and I'm gonna be honest, the lack of a simple save option is driving my OCD crazy. There's already a 'save and exit' button that you can click whenever you want, so I'm not understanding the logic of not having a button just for saving.

As far as I can tell, they did it this way to discourage save-scumming, which is particularly likely considering the emphasis on choice & consequence and replayability.

They're definitely going to get a lot of complaints about it though.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
As far as I can tell, they did it this way to discourage save-scumming, which particularly likely considering the emphasis on choice & consequence and replayability.

Yeah, that's not a winning strategy. Players would prefer exiting and re-entering the game every 5 minutes if it's the only way to save the game.

Jinn

Arcane
Yeah, that's not a winning strategy. Players would prefer exiting and re-entering the game every 5 minutes if it's the only way to save the game.

Not defending the design decision, but it's the only thing that made sense to me as to why they would do it this way.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Amphetamine was not a drug used in the early 1900s.
I think it was invented in Japan 1918 or -19.
One companion is soldier who deceased during the Great War , so it was known, but probably not readily available substance.

edit.
I checked wiki; its medical effects were unknown until late 20's.

It was first synthetized in Germany in the late 19th century but was later resynthesized during the 20s by an american pharmacologist. Cocaine was the drug of choice during WW1 but amphetamine took its place in WW2 due to being considerably safer to use and its effects lasting longer. Metamphetamine particularly was extensively used by the German army.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Sooo i talked with the lady that is searching for her man in the bar and told her to come with me,then the dialogue ended and nothing happened. Did i double clicked by mistake or something similar or is it a bug,maybe working as intended????
I got her to join me at least.
Who was in your party when you ask her??? I have the butler as i am glorious nobility,also some mexican and the ghoul. Maybe that is why she doesn't want to come with me. Shame that i can't save and try kick out some of my companions and see what happens. Also guys have in mind that you can't kick out the butler!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
So I'm playing this thing, and I'm gonna be honest, the lack of a simple save option is driving my OCD crazy. There's already a 'save and exit' button that you can click whenever you want, so I'm not understanding the logic of not having a button just for saving.

As far as I can tell, they did it this way to discourage save-scumming, which is particularly likely considering the emphasis on choice & consequence and replayability.

It is really stupid decision. You could still save scum because you get an autosave when entering a building or a place. You could reload and try again,it is literally pointless limitation. Also that getting tired shit is getting annoying. The hunger one you could mitigate by buying 20 cans of beans and fuck exploring.

Cromwell

Arcane
My depraved occultists is referred to as herself in the grimoire. Progessivnes detected! Also, the ritual tooltipp is wrong and states 10 ap instead of hp.

Mortmal

Arcane
Amphetamine was not a drug used in the early 1900s.
I think it was invented in Japan 1918 or -19.
One companion is soldier who deceased during the Great War , so it was known, but probably not readily available substance.

edit.
I checked wiki; its medical effects were unknown until late 20's.

It was first synthetized in Germany in the late 19th century but was later resynthesized during the 20s by an american pharmacologist. Cocaine was the drug of choice during WW1 but amphetamine took its place in WW2 due to being considerably safer to use and its effects lasting longer. Metamphetamine particularly was extensively used by the German army.
It's past prohibition law in arkham so 1920+, it match.

GandGolf

Augur
I finally managed to kill the guards in front of the bank without the game glitching only to find out they're still there like nothing happened. What a turn off.

I guess I'll wait for a few patches and hope they have atleast fixed the bigger issues.

Why did you attack the bank guards? Won't that make the mafia mad at you? That's like ticking off Bruce Banner so he turns into the Hulk.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Sooo i am at dead willows place and

Did anyone find a way to not kill everyone in the fucking tribe???

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
As far as I can tell, they did it this way to discourage save-scumming, which particularly likely considering the emphasis on choice & consequence and replayability.
It won't stop "players" like you from save scumming, but don't pretend to speak for "players". They didn't want to remove saving altogether because of the crying that would ensue. They wanted to discourage scaredy cat F5-riding. Not prevent it, but discourage it. Sounds to me like they succeeded.

Codex Year of the Donut
It won't stop "players" like you from save scumming, but don't pretend to speak for "players". They didn't want to remove saving altogether because of the crying that would ensue. They wanted to discourage scaredy cat F5-riding. Not prevent it, but discourage it. Sounds to me like they succeeded.
Codex is full of savescummers, don't be surprised if people get butthurt by saying this.

Jrpgfan

Erudite

Why did you attack the bank guards? Won't that make the mafia mad at you? That's like ticking off Bruce Banner so he turns into the Hulk.

I was experimenting(and I was like 15 minutes in so I wanted to see how combat played out). But it doesn't matter, because if a game gives you the option to kill an NPC it should ATLEAST MAKE THE NPC DISAPPEAR AFTER YOU KILL IT.

I really hope it's a bug, because otherwise it would be some seriously lazy work.

Last edited:

GandGolf

Augur
I was experimenting(and I was like 15 minutes in so I wanted to see how combat played out). But it doesn't matter, because if a game gives you the option to kill an NPC it should ATLEAST MAKE THE NPC DISAPPEAR AFTER YOU KILL IT.

I really hope it's a bug, because otherwise it would be some seriously lazy work.

Report it in the bug forum on Steam, and hopefully it will be fixed. It's possible though that it is intended that if you kill one mob goon at the bank that another will take his place.

Jrpgfan

Erudite

Report it in the bug forum on Steam, and hopefully it will be fixed. It's possible though that it is intended that if you kill one mob goon at the bank that another will take his place.

It's the exact same two guards with the same dialogue lines. If they atleast changed the dialogue, but not even that.

Does anyone know how to use spells/abilities in combat?

I was prepared to be disappointed by the writing seeing as how AA eurojank games developed by ESL devs of recent have terrible/no editing (Vampyr, Sunken City, etc) but holy shit was I pleasantly surprised. I'm kind of in love with the various characters so far - they are colorful without being crude cliches, at least in my assessment, and I find the dialogue witty and natural.The prose can get a little purple and some the characters can get be a little long-winded, but considering the primary inspiration that is hardly surprising.

Traditional save/load systems are IMO lazy but as others have pointed out, Stygian's autosaves don't really solve anything since it keeps a full history of your autosaves. In fact, you can create a "manual" save at any time by using the save+quit option! One solution would be cap autosaves to a handful, which would lead to problems upon encountering bugs. I think a system like Pathologic 2's, which uses save points but keeps a full history of the character's saves, would be better for something like this.

Also, bugs. Ui issues like the interface occasionally bugging out in combat as well as more major issues like a transition to a optional area becoming available at one point then become unavailable at another. Probably best to hold off on this one at least for a few weeks if that sounds scary.

Last edited:

GandGolf

Augur
Traditional save/load systems are IMO lazy but as others have pointed out, Stygian's autosaves don't really solve anything since it keeps a full history of your autosaves. In fact, you can create a "manual" save at any time by using the save+quit option! One solution would be cap autosaves to a handful, which would lead to problems upon encountering bugs. I think a system like Pathologic 2's, which uses save points but keeps a full history of the character's saves.

When you save and quit are you given an option to name the save file? If there is unlimited autosaves then that is fairly cool. Perhaps if you start a topic in the Steam suggestion forum and enough people reply the developers will consider it. Seems that most people though just use the root forum.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom