Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Encased - isometric post-apocalyptic RPG under the dome

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
looks really great.
Sorry Age of Decadence, Atom RPG, and Underrail. This is the one.
this is quite the praise, and all of those game are very accomplished each in their own ways. at the very least encased will be ascended among codex's favorite

Self-Ejected

Carls Barkley

Safav Hamon
The Real Fanboy
I enjoyed those games, but they all failed to implement systemic C&C and non-combat playstyles in a meaningful way.

Encased gives me the illusion that I can be whoever I want, while at the same time not feeling like a visual novel. It's something that only Fallout has accomplished until now.

Tigranes

Arcane
Curious about this, the UI & other visual stuff in the video looks very Wasteland 2, but it's the systems that really matter.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
25449.jpg

ItsChon said:

I'd be more optimistic if this wasn't from you Safov.

Last edited:

PrettyDeadman

So, how is the game?
I can't get past character creation screen number 3. Then I freeze the skill focus points spend number or change it via Cheat Engine the game simply freezes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So how complete is this? Is this one of the early accesses that will hit 1.0 soon and is almost done, or is this going to take 5 years

Self-Ejected

Carls Barkley

Safav Hamon
The Real Fanboy
25449.jpg

ItsChon said:

I'd be more optimistic if this wasn't from you Safov.

Ironic coming from you...

ItsChon said:
Fallout 2 got boring extremely quickly and I spent a lot of time trying to push past that boredom, wondering what the hell was wrong with me. That is of course until I realized that Fallout 2 and Fallout 1 are probably shit and the Codex is filled with a bunch of NMA shills that will fanboy/defend a game regardless of all the completely valid flaws people bring up.

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/12-reasons-why-f2-is-a-bad-fallout-game.123240/

Last edited:
What's the state of the Early Access release? How much content is there? Is it even worth playing?
This is the greatest CRPG videogame so far.
Is it worth playing?
Depends on if you care about videogames as an artform.
Really? You'd sing its praises so even as an early access title? Well i'll take your word for it, but if it disappointing, i'll hunt you down and enslave you for my personal use.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Ironic coming from you...
25449.jpg

ItsChon said:

I stand by those statements. The combat in Fallout is fucking dog shit and considering that is what a decent majority of the game is made up of, I can't be bothered to play it. Games like Underrail, Age of Decadence, PS:T, Arcanum, etc, have settings and stories that are just as good if not better than Fallout's, so why would I bother torturing myself when I could just go play those games. You, on the other hand, praised shit like PoE, which has shit combat AND writing.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So how complete is this? Is this one of the early accesses that will hit 1.0 soon and is almost done, or is this going to take 5 years

The FAQ on Steam says the game will be in Early Access for "approximately nine months".

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
I'm not that impressed. Visually it's great, especially as it instantly reloads higher settings and you can see the graphics change as you crank it up. But there's not much of the game here yet. Even at character creation shitload of skills are just (not in this version), and the game itself after a rather atmospheric text introduction (which proves the world to be a lot more interesting than it seemed) just grinds to a halt when you find yourself alone (despite traveling with 5 other people), on a broken elevator without explanation whatsoever. The sudden, and game-y break in nicely led narrative was rather harsh. I hope there's just shit missing here, and not the general way they're going to chop the plot presentation.

Then I got one hit killed by frenzied worker not interested in talking it out, because apparently that's how they greet newfags in the bunker. Aaaand... I went to play Stygian instead.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What impresses me thus far is that this game managed to avoid problem which face many modern cRPGs - it's not too wordy. It has dialogues, it has text, but player is not drowned in it like in some other games. Good fuckin' stuff. Devs I have such high hopes.

AlsGaming

Novice
For what their is so far, it's pretty good. Took about 4 hours to get to the end of the first Act, which is where the story stops currently. The beginning sells the game pretty well, the art style is simple but nice to look at. There's a lot of skill checks as well as what 'Wing' your PC is from influencing how well you can talk to the members of other wings. Combat is decent, each weapon type allows for a few attack types. Initially made a science / energy weapon character and managed to get past all the encounters without too much difficulty. Trying an unarmed criminal type character now, will see how much different content there is for the 5 different starts.

Story is intriguing enough, you enter a zone dome where you look for and scan artifacts relics and avoid anomalies with bolts that you throw. Problems with the game are the standard early access ones. Typos, janky camera control and bugs, ragdolls freaking out, food / meds don't say what they do until you use them. The inventory is a lot better than games like Fallout and Atom, since you instead keep everything in a grid inventory as well as when you barter. Journal is a little bit of a mess but maps are pretty detailed. Overall a pretty good setup, just hoping there's a decent world built around it. There's an overworld map you travel across, so hopefully there'll be a good variety of locations to visit.

I stand by those statements. The combat in Fallout is fucking dog shit and considering that is what a decent majority of the game is made up of, I can't be bothered to play it. Games like Underrail, Age of Decadence, PS:T, Arcanum, etc, have settings and stories that are just as good if not better than Fallout's, so why would I bother torturing myself when I could just go play those games. You, on the other hand, praised shit like PoE, which has shit combat AND writing.
Here, i found a post where every single sentence is retarded.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Here, i found a post where every single sentence is retarded.
25449.jpg

ItsChon said:

Lmao.
Fallout has shit combat
This is true. Snail-paced turn based combat with little to no strategy involved is shit. There aren't any particularly interesting skills or interactions with weapons/different enemy builds. This becomes especially apparent when contrasted with games like AoD and Underrail, games with great TB combat systems.
Underrail, AoD, PS:T, Arcanum, etc all have settings and stories that are just as good if not better than Fallout's
This is true. Literally every game I mentioned has been heralded for their writing in regards to their setting and plot. Underrail is the "weakest" (in regards to public perception anyway) of the group, and even then is still very popular.
Why would I bother playing something that has shit combat/gameplay, which makes up the majority of the game
Hardly a revolutionary concept. The forum is filled with combat fags that would agree with the statement above.
You, on the other hand, praised shit like PoE--....
This is probably what ticked you off. You're just another PoE fanboy with shit taste. Fuck me the demographic around here gets more fucking stupid every year.

It all comes down to whether or not you think FO has good combat, as the rest falls into place if you agree with me on that point.

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I wouldn't go as far as to say Fallout has shit combat. At least it's turn-based and has aimed shots + satisfying death animations.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
I wouldn't go as far as to say Fallout has shit combat. At least it's turn-based and has aimed shots + satisfying death animations.
25449.jpg

ItsChon said:

Every time I bring up the combat in Fallout, people say this stupid fucking shit. Who the fuck gets so entertained by the same stupid death animations that they soldier through a banal as shit combat system just to see them for tens of hours. A turn-based combat system with none of the features that make a turn-based combat system good means nothing. The aimed shots are a drop of water in an ocean of shit when it comes down to the actual meat of the Fallout combat system.

Edit: UI is janky as fuck too and not very responsive. We get it, the SPECIAL screen is nice. What about the shit inventory screen and the poor responsiveness from clicking through the various menus in the game? People are so blinded by Nostalgia when it comes to these two games it's ridiculous.

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Every time I bring up the combat in Fallout, people say this stupid fucking shit. Who the fuck gets so entertained by the same stupid death animations that they soldier through a banal as shit combat system just to see them for tens of hours. A turn-based combat system with none of the features that make a turn-based combat system good means nothing. The aimed shots are a drop of water in an ocean of shit when it comes down to the actual meat of the Fallout combat system.
I wouldn't say that Fallout's combat is good either. It's certainly worse than AoD or Underrail. But I've slogged through some shitty combat in RPGs, from Tyranny to Eye of the Beholder to Morrowind. I'd take Fallout's combat over a lot of them.

This is probably what ticked you off. You're just another PoE fanboy with shit taste. Fuck me the demographic around here gets more fucking stupid every year.
How to spot the oldboi.

Your problem is that you suffer from an EXTREME case of autism and are unable to realize all your opinions are subjective and more importantly, nobody gives a shit what you think.

Saying that x game has a better setting than Fallout does not amount to anything. It's a meaningless statement that comes out of your addled brain, without any objective merit to it.

Dodo1610

Arcane
It definitely s Fallout but set in a corporate environment. I am currently playing a high Charisma + Intelligence character and it just works great. There are lots of ways to finish each quest which makes your skills feel important, even the choice in which wing of the company you work is important since it seems to completely change how some characters react to.
If the devs can keep up this level of depth up through the whole game(i am not sure if this is even possible) this could legitimately be one of the greatest RPGs I have ever played.
Obviously, the game just looks great for the genre. From the portraits of the NCPs to the environment, everything oozes quality and style.
Just the soundtrack seems to be kinda meh, haven't heard a single track that stood out.

Contentwise the game is still in development lots of skills aren't even available like there currently is no stealth and I think you can't even be caught doing something illegal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom