Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What RPG has blown you away recently? (Looking for RPG recommendations)

Kliwer

Savant
If You are looking for good RPG adventure in classical style then You should play Drakensang: River of Time. This game is much better than You could expect. Fighting system is a bit too clunky and writing is a bit too juvenile but every thing else is great. One of the few RPGs when I feel like playing P&P adventure.

Here's my advice to OP: forget your 1001 rules (because I am too lazy to read them all), and play the below.

Witcher 3 - excellent writing/dialogue/lore/world, decent action combat, massive world
ELEX - excellent exploration, cool world, tons of quests with C&C, good progression
BotW - beautiful world, excellent exploration, amazing interactivity, cool combat and neat puzzles
Kingdom Come: Deliverance - great atmosphere and realism, awesome combat system (once modded), cool systems to tinker with
Dark Souls - amazingly designed world, interesting combat, lots of challenge

purpleblob

Savant
Pathfinder: Kingmaker - I'm on my 3rd playthrough and after more than 700 hours of playing, I'm still discovering something new!

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Shadowrun Returns + Dragonfall + Tyranny would be top choices.

Dragon Age: Origins is brilliant IMO, not everyone's cupa chah but definitely worth a try. Those who like it tend to love it.

Underrail is another. Personally I got bored before the end, just not enough story for me, but the game itself is really well designed and one which exploration fans thrive on.

If you don't mind some action-RPG-ing Witcher 2 has the best C&C I've ever experienced in a game. A literal game changer, that demands multiple replays.

DA:O's combat is only a few iterations away from being incredible. Unfortunately, Bio(EA)ware has iterated in the exact wrong direction.
But the concept still holds true! The bones of that system should serve as the basis for all RTWP combat in the future, because it minimizes the need to pause.

The Surge 2. While it doesn't feature nearly as many "RPG opportunities" as many of the classics here, i was pleasantly surprised by it nonetheless. I beat it today and it has become one of my favorite games of the year. I wrote about it here: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-surge-2.120310/page-4#post-6329770

Thanks bro, appreciate the write up. Surge 2 is now on my radar.
nice! can't recommend it enough.

Codex Year of the Donut
Are DA:O and Witcher 2 RTwP or pure RT?
Neither are RTwP in the traditional sense of the term. It has been misapplied to DA:O.
If the people who rated this negatively want to debate it, feel free to.
DA:O doesn't use a round/turn-based combat like IE games which is traditionally associated with RTwP. It uses attack and cast speeds.
If you want to call it RTwP because you can pause it, well, then pretty much every ARPG fits that description.

Deleted Member 16721

Morrowind should have had DA:O's combat system.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Neither are RTwP in the traditional sense of the term. It has been misapplied to DA:O.
DA:O doesn't use a round/turn-based combat like IE games which is traditionally associated with RTwP. It uses attack and cast speeds.
If you want to call it RTwP because you can pause it, well, then pretty much every ARPG fits that description.

By your logic Pillars of Eternity isn’t real-time with pause. You can’t give commands in most paused ARPGs (other than the ones from Spiders), you can give commands when DA:O or any other RTwP game is paused. That’s what makes them RTwP.

Codex Year of the Donut

By your logic Pillars of Eternity isn’t real-time with pause. You can’t give commands in most paused ARPGs (other than the ones from Spiders), you can give commands when DA:O or any other RTwP game is paused. That’s what makes them RTwP.
Mass Effect is RTwP by this definition.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron

Fine, RTwP is real-time menu mediated combat where you can give orders when the game is paused. Whether or not it’s round based is irrelevant.

Codex Year of the Donut

Fine, RTwP is real-time menu mediated combat where you can give orders when the game is paused. Whether or not it’s round based is irrelevant.
Essentially every existing action RPG with companions falls into this category.
Fallout: New Vegas is now RTwP.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron

Essentially every existing action RPG with companions falls into this category.
Fallout: New Vegas is now RTwP.

That combat isn’t menu mediated, it’s an FPS.

Falksi

Arcane
Shadowrun Returns + Dragonfall + Tyranny would be top choices.

Dragon Age: Origins is brilliant IMO, not everyone's cupa chah but definitely worth a try. Those who like it tend to love it.

Underrail is another. Personally I got bored before the end, just not enough story for me, but the game itself is really well designed and one which exploration fans thrive on.

If you don't mind some action-RPG-ing Witcher 2 has the best C&C I've ever experienced in a game. A literal game changer, that demands multiple replays.

DA:O's combat is only a few iterations away from being incredible. Unfortunately, Bio(EA)ware has iterated in the exact wrong direction.
But the concept still holds true! The bones of that system should serve as the basis for all RTWP combat in the future, because it minimizes the need to pause.

Could not agree more mate. I fucking thrived on it, it just needed those few extra additions to make it the real modern-day tactical combat option.

Yeah it's not CRPG as it once was, but things evolve, and if they're gonna evolve to snag mongs in lets at least hook them in with the likes of DA:O, then lift them up with more CRPG elements, instead of dumbing everything down to mongify it all again.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Control has blown me recently. It has skills, crafting, combats, dialogue trees, so I think it's a RPG.

Puteo

Learned
Pathologic 2. The game is a true work of art that goes beyond the traditional power fantasy that every other game gives.

Pathfinder, as it brought out something in me that I thought was long dead and gone. All of the tech issues aside, it made me feel like I was back in good old times... just letting the hours fly by and enjoying myself thoroughly.

Twitcher, since it's as good as it gonna get when it comes to tripple A mainstream titles. Sure you have your popamole character progression/item systems, a sad but required sacrifice to consoletards that allowed them to keep writing, atmosphere and a sense of adventure intact. I didn't really like it at first, but it grew on me the more I played it and as far as quest design/writing are concerned it might be my favorite RPG of the last decade.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom