Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones - a Lovecraftian Computer RPG

Traditional save/load systems are IMO lazy but as others have pointed out, Stygian's autosaves don't really solve anything since it keeps a full history of your autosaves. In fact, you can create a "manual" save at any time by using the save+quit option! One solution would be cap autosaves to a handful, which would lead to problems upon encountering bugs. I think a system like Pathologic 2's, which uses save points but keeps a full history of the character's saves.

When you save and quit are you given an option to name the save file? If there is unlimited autosaves then that is fairly cool. Perhaps if you start a topic in the Steam suggestion forum and enough people reply the developers will consider it. Seems that most people though just use the root forum.

My headache totally ate the end of that last sentence. No, save files are not named, it simply shows up as a "quit save" in the menu. However, turns out I was wrong - there is a buffer of only about 10 autosaves or so. This is IMO better than what I originally thought the system was (effectively manual saving with more annoyance) but like I explained makes playthroughs very vulnerable to bugs.

GandGolf

Augur
Traditional save/load systems are IMO lazy but as others have pointed out, Stygian's autosaves don't really solve anything since it keeps a full history of your autosaves. In fact, you can create a "manual" save at any time by using the save+quit option! One solution would be cap autosaves to a handful, which would lead to problems upon encountering bugs. I think a system like Pathologic 2's, which uses save points but keeps a full history of the character's saves.

When you save and quit are you given an option to name the save file? If there is unlimited autosaves then that is fairly cool. Perhaps if you start a topic in the Steam suggestion forum and enough people reply the developers will consider it. Seems that most people though just use the root forum.

My headache totally ate the end of that last sentence. No, save files are not named, it simply shows up as a "quit save" in the menu. However, turns out I was wrong - there is a buffer of only about 10 autosaves or so. This is IMO better than what I originally thought the system was (effectively manual saving with more annoyance) but like I explained makes playthroughs very vulnerable to bugs.

Only 10? Maybe the player can backup the save files manually. That's what I used to do when I played Diablo 2 anyway.

Another thing: you can use the medicine/occult/etc skills of your companions to research recipes. However, for actually *crafting* shit, only the main characters' skills are considered. If this is intended design (which I doubt) then that is pretty bizarre.

Jinn

Arcane
I love that I had to leave the bank to get drunk, in order to get my courage up enough to go face those crazy fucks again. I don't think the sanity mechanics were implemented (or as well implemented) in the backer beta build I played. Or maybe my character build is just that much different this time around. Either way, it makes this "dungeon crawl" section of the game waaaay more interesting than it was the first time I played it.

Loving the game so far. Everything it has shown me so far indicates it's a great CRPG. Definitely the closest to Call of Cthulhu pen and paper we've ever gotten in videogame form, and maybe will be the closest we ever get. I'm about 4 hours in and look forward to playing much more soon. Hope this quality continues to hold up.

RegionalHobo

Scholar
so is escape route the optimal way to do combat?
From what I understand, yes. But you don't get enough loot or something like that. The loading screen tips encourage you to leave but by doing that you don't get the loot you might have gotten otherwise.

i see, is the exp the same thou? i'm more worried about losing it than the loot, which seem really shit so far. that said i've been gaining FAR more exp with dialogue and quests than killing shit

Child of Malkav

Erudite
From what I understand, yes. But you don't get enough loot or something like that. The loading screen tips encourage you to leave but by doing that you don't get the loot you might have gotten otherwise.

i see, is the exp the same thou? i'm more worried about losing it than the loot, which seem really shit so far. that said i've been gaining FAR more exp with dialogue and quests than killing shit
I don't know about the xp. I've just ghosted the bank and that gave me 10xp. Haven't really gotten into combat yet. How much do you get per quests and dialogue?

RegionalHobo

Scholar

I don't know about the xp. I've just ghosted the bank and that gave me 10xp. Haven't really gotten into combat yet. How much do you get per quests and dialogue?

it s less exp then finishing the combat ( 20 then ). many npcs give about 10 which adds up, quests give 10-20 for advancement so far ( i'm still level 4 )

also, bleeding does a fuckton of dmg buy a bandage

Child of Malkav

Erudite

it s less exp then finishing the combat ( 20 then ). many npcs give about 10 which adds up, quests give 10-20 for advancement so far ( i'm still level 4 )

That's right, I forgot about the story advancement. Also sanity gains are 5 xp I think. Level 2 here. Still exploring and trying to do some side quests. Thanks for the bandage tip.
Also I bought a grappling hook. Did you see something that required it?

GewuerzKahn

Savant
needs a way to speed combat up
what is it with every turn based game being so fucking slow, do devs even test this shit?
Speeding up this game works fine with Cheat Engine.

I really dig this game, but I have one immersion breaking bug. On every map/screen I see a dwarf doppelgänger version of one of my companion just standing around.

RegionalHobo

Scholar

That's right, I forgot about the story advancement. Also sanity gains are 5 xp I think. Level 2 here. Still exploring and trying to do some side quests. Thanks for the bandage tip.
Also I bought a grappling hook. Did you see something that required it?

did not, but then again i'm pretty sure the game does not show options when you don t have the requirements. pretty sure i've seen many psycho checks and i don t have the skill

GandGolf

Augur

Only 10? Maybe the player can backup the save files manually. That's what I used to do when I played Diablo 2 anyway.

Is it possible to quit the game without saving?

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Played a couple of hours last night, went with adult aristocrat with cursed bloodline (+1 in occult, increased crit failure).
3/3/3/8/8/8 stat spread, skill points into occult, psychology, science and speech.
Atm adventuring with the butler and the outsider who is teaching me about occult matters.
Had an option to recruit the lady who is looking for her husband, but i guess you cant have more than 2 companions (for shame!).
Its great, lots of skill checks, nice choices. Combat is ok, got a lot better after i iearned the al razi spit spell for main char. I do not plan on running from combat, unless forced to.
Rest mechanics are great!

Anyway, in short - the game is amazing, a bit janky, but well worth the full purchase. Buy it to support the devs.

P.s.edited for typos

Last edited:

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
This game is exceeding my expectations although it definitely needs ironing out. If what they said is true about it being about 15 hours in a single run and ending in a cliffhanger, I hope it is successful enough to warrant at least an expansion.

RegionalHobo

Scholar
Played a couple of hours last night, went with adult aristocrat with cursed bloodline (+1 in occult, increased crit failure).
3/3/3/8/8/8 stat spread, skill points into occult, psychology, science and speech.
Atm adventuring with the butler and the outsider who is teaching me about occult matters.
Had an option to recruit the lady who is looking for her husband, but i guess you cant have more than 2 companions (for shame!).
Its great, lots of skill checks, nice choices. Combat is ok, got a lotlot bet after i iearned the al razi spit spell for main char. I do not plan on running from combat, unless forced to.
Rest mechanics are great!

Anyway, in short - the game is amazing, a bit janky, but well worth the full purchase. Buy it to support the devs.

did you beat the warehouse with 3 agi and no combat skills?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom