Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D 5E Discussion

_Vic_

Educated
Forgive me the question, but , Any of you have experience with the new Eberron setting and could explain the new Group Patron (like a background for the whole party) mechanic?

Is it an actual Patron ( your benefactor) or a background story of your adventures together?
Does it require specific feats, races or skills from party members like in SoZ?
What does it modify ingame?
Thx

Bara

Arcane
Can't really say on the Group Patron mechanic I'm going to guess it works something like the 13th age Icon system?

Also for Eberron looks like enough people complained about the standard cover for a revision. The DnD website and other retailers have all changed to display this one.

81vACr2mVTL.jpg

Sacibengala

Prophet
Can't really say on the Group Patron mechanic I'm going to guess it works something like the 13th age Icon system?

Also for Eberron looks like enough people complained about the standard cover for a revision. The DnD website and other retailers have all changed to display this one.

81vACr2mVTL.jpg
Still a lot of space unused innthis cover. But it is much better than the last bizarre one. As to the system, we’ll see.

Alchemist

Arcane
A little better (glad it has a decent warforged) but it's still obviously an interior illustration they just slapped onto the cover, not composed well for a cover at all. Hastily painted concept art is all WotC commissions these days apparently. I miss the good old TSR days when they employed legit oil painters for their covers.

Sacibengala

Prophet
Zweihander shines nowadays in art department and consistency imho. some OSR stuff are great also. WOTC is not my cup of tea, I like the general artstyle, but some pieces are cringeworthy level of hipster or whatever they call twitter crowd these days.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
A little better (glad it has a decent warforged) but it's still obviously an interior illustration they just slapped onto the cover, not composed well for a cover at all. Hastily painted concept art is all WotC commissions these days apparently. I miss the good old TSR days when they employed legit oil painters for their covers.
The first cover was a nicely painted piece of art, that had clearly received a lot of time and attention to detail. It was just thematically completely wrong for the over of an Eberron book. This new cover is probably the best they could get ready in time before the book went to the printers.

Neither comes close to the quality of the 2e art by Larry Elmore and others. Do artist like that no longer exist, or are they just too expensive for WotC these days?

J1M

Arcane
"Couldn't get in time" is another way of saying "the people we hire based on nepotism are poor artists".

If they wanted something that looked like 2e thay could easily find and commission an artist online. It has never been easier to find a high quality starving artist.

Hamlet

Novice
I suppose we're supposed to be happy that the art is not some super-heroish abomination, like the previous edition. All while the greats of D&D art are still alive, and still available, for commission.

deuxhero

Arcane

81vACr2mVTL.jpg

Better than the last one, which only had the badly drawn Warforged to tell you it was Eberron.

Plenty of issues, but usable. The Warforged looks a little spindly. What I don't get is why they included the halfling's dinosaur mount in the illustration, but put it on the left (so it's cut off and only visible in the banner variant for WotC's webpage) instead of the big open rock on the right. That alone would fix a lot of the open space. Add a bridge with a lightning rail going over it or an airship to that big open center.

Bara

Arcane
Well the WoTC product overview page is up for Theros with descriptions of whats in the book. Sounds too high-powered fantasy for my taste.

Legends walk the lands of Theros, a realm shaped by deities and the deeds of heroes. From the temples of omen-speaking oracles to the five realms of the Underworld, the champions of the gods vie for immortal favor and a place among the world’s living myths.

Choose a supernatural gift that sets you on the path of destiny, align yourself with one of Theros’s fifteen gods, then carve a tale of odysseys and ordeals across the domains of mortals, gods, and the dead.

What legends will you challenge—mighty heroes, inevitable prophecies, or titans imprisoned by the gods? Where will destiny and immortal schemes lead you? And what tales will you leave behind, celebrated in the pantheon of myths and writ among the eternal stars?

• Introducing supernatural gifts—abilities that set your character apart from the common throng. Mechanically similar to character races, each one gives your character a variety of traits.
  • Select one of the new races for your character—such mythic peoples as the leonin or a satyr.
  • New subclasses include the Bard’s College of Eloquence, masters of oratory; and the Paladin’s Oath of Heroism, an affirmation of destiny laid out for you by divine providence.
  • Encounter mythic monsters, creatures whose power and renown are such that their names are truly living myths. More than simply legendary, these creatures have abilities that will create a challenge fit for the gods.
  • Wield god-weapons, signature items of the gods that allow your character to stand apart from other heroes. These can be a gift from your deity or perhaps you boldly stole it from them in a bid for ultimate power.

Also if you want more Eberron Keith Baker still working away on his Exploring Eberron book for DMs Guild.

Mortmal

Arcane
Superhero feats past level 20 or something like mythic pathfinder that was bound to happen.Setting is from magic the gathering, i only got one player asking for ravnica so i never DMed it. Not really inspired by it, i am too oldschool .Theros is maybe more my style, ancient greece , but probably too bland as usual.

Lhynn

Arcane
To be honest i think the game should continue after 20 without limits, and the concept of build would be gloriously demolished with that.

This normalization of PnP systems kills them.

Gyor

Savant
Superhero feats past level 20 or something like mythic pathfinder that was bound to happen.Setting is from magic the gathering, i only got one player asking for ravnica so i never DMed it. Not really inspired by it, i am too oldschool .Theros is maybe more my style, ancient greece , but probably too bland as usual.

Mechanically the Supernatural Gifts are like a second race you get mechanically, they make you more powerful, but not alot more powerful.

Piety is system is an expanded improved version of the piety system for Theros, set the Theros 15 living Gods.

You get the Leonin (let the annoying whining about furries begin), Satyr the party race (these Satyrs have females too), and reprints of Centaurs, Minotaurs, and Tritons.

Plus all kinds of maps by Dyson Logos, monsters including Mythic Boss monsters, ect...

Oh and it doesn't just detail the surface, it details the Underworlds 5 worlds.

Mortmal

Arcane
Mortmal
By "bound to happen" did you mean "was literally in the 5e DMG on page 227"?
Those boons aren't epic enough, check mythic pathfinder path, god like abilities .
Those boons aren't epic enough, check Scion or Nobilis god like abilities.
Yes a few are good but the whole system is embryonic, not class related and the Dm manual says give them a feat , a stat increase, real estate, whatever you wish, as anyway no one going to bother past 20. Several structured coherent lines of progression are needed.

Codex Year of the Donut
I dislike the lack of 5E splatbooks, yeah a lot of them sucked but there were a lot of good ones too and I just enjoyed reading them

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom