Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Code Vein - new action RPG from God Eater devs at Bandai Namco

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I quite like the genre but I picked up both The Surge and Lords of the Fallen on that premise and they were both super linear boring slogs with +1 stat equipment, is this one actually an open world with useful shit to find that really changes the gameplay?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I think it's quite moderate on the animu scale

Not. Moderate. Enough.

To give you an idea how much I loathe animu - I thought Nioh was a bit too much. And Nioh is only sprinkled with anime. Yeah.

The main reason I fell in love with Dark Souls is that there isn't an iota of animu in DS. Thank god. The Japs keep making great gameplay-oriented games but most of them are infected with this obnoxious manchildish artstyle. Someone should kill animu with acid and fire already.

Suicidal

Arcane
TIL Nioh, a game about samurai and medieval Japanese folklore is considered "too anime" by some. Interesting. So everything east of generic European knights is anime now? :M

Hyperion

Arcane
TIL Nioh, a game about samurai and medieval Japanese folklore is considered "too anime" by some. Interesting. So everything east of generic European knights is anime now? :M
Some people are too insecure to deal with the slightest bit of anything that isn't grimdark (cat clock, and big tittied sorceress I guess), edgelord stuff all the time. Colors other than grey and brown offend their sensibilities because it might make their senses react positively to the stimuli.

Give up trying to reason with it, and just accept some people won't play superior products for silly reasons.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
It's just fags being fags. A good game is a good game no matter the "look". So what if it's "anime" if you're having fun that's all that matters. Nice titties are a bonus as well.

Puukko

Arcane
So this is apparently not an RPG? No levelling, no builds? What.

Some people are too insecure to deal with the slightest bit of anything that isn't grimdark

Got me. I'm too insecure to watch My Little Pony.
I dunno where you got that info but you do level up and invest in builds as well as gear. After investing a bit into classes you can unlock their skills to be used across other classes as well so I expect there to be a hefty meta once people have reached the postgame.

Lord Romulus

Arcane
A lot of the earlier bosses are total pushovers, but once you start fighting this game's equivalent of the four lords, the boss fights get pretty cool and challenging.

Hyperion

Arcane
Terrible answer. If you look at Nioh and think MLP you've more brain damage than I thought. Kind of sad you can't provide something that even resembles a logical reason for not liking the art in Nioh. Even a "I've played all of Kou's games and every single fucking one is Sengoku era Japan and I can't take it anymore" would be SOMEWHAT acceptable.

Maybe if a friendly Codexer photoshopped Miyazaki's name on some Nioh screens you'll finally be assed to give it a fair shake, since you played through that dumpsterfire Suckiro instead? Which you weren't good enough to beat without a trainer I might add.

Last edited:

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Terrible answer. If you look at Nioh and think MLP you've more brain damage than I thought. Kind of sad you can't provide something that even resembles a logical reason for not liking the art in Nioh. Even a "I've played all of Kou's games and every single fucking one is Sengoku era Japan and I can't take it anymore" would be SOMEWHAT acceptable.

Maybe if a friendly Codexer photoshopped Miyazaki's name on some Nioh screens you'll finally be assed to give it a fair shake, since you played through that dumpsterfire Suckiro instead? Which weren't good enough to beat without a trainer I might add.
NioH was fucking awesome and I can't wait for NioH 2

Puukko

Arcane
Played for a few more hours. It takes quite a lot of time to learn all the mechanics and how to move properly but I'm slowly getting the hang of it. There's some unintuitive stuff when it comes to how your character can't really smoothly turn around while swinging, so it's easy to pull off combos into thin air even though you were locked on. Likewise, sprinting is a bit awkward since it has a ramp up of sorts so sometimes I try to sprint from rest only to have my character leisurely jog. Stuff like that which I will certainly learn but you'd expect to work in a different way.

I've only really stuck to one class, picking some skills from other classes via unlock materials. While I want to learn more of them, I also want to get comfortable and proficient with one class rather than be mediocre with several. The game pushes you towards investing in skills since gear upgrades rather quickly get halted by material requirements you can't get yet. Leveling gives rather minimal bonuses and there seems to be some form of level scaling in place, thus you probably don't want to level up a lot quickly, rather spend as much as possible on gear and skills first.

I've beat 2 bosses beyond the tutorial and I think their order could have been switched. The first, a butterfly lady who gives you a rather confused boner has erratic and hard to predict movements along with poison clouds and such which would've worked better once the player has a more solid grasp of the game's mechanics while the second boss was a frenzying big dude with swords which is fairly common in Souls games so learning his patterns was much easier and he could've worked better as a test of the player's physical combat skills.

laclongquan

Arcane
Some people are too insecure to deal with the slightest bit of anything that isn't grimdark

You are definitely too insecure to marry and have kids, that's for damn sure~

Because it's going to be funnier than hell when they repeat an episode twenty times over. Or worse, repeat a tiny scenes within it twenty times over~

Jinn

Arcane
Surprised to see the positivity in this thread. I'll have to keep my eye on this one. Thought it was going to be total shit.

Mojobeard

Augur
It's enjoyable and very compelling, even when there's traces of jank here and there, with obviously a lot of effort and heart put into it (though not maybe the talent to pull it off in all cases). There's a surprising amount of depth in how you can build your character, but at the same time you can just cast lightning weapon on Yakumo and the game plays itself. So far at least, maybe it gets tougher later.
Maps are large, with loot that makes it worth exploring, compared to Sekiro where exploring meant finding sugars or some other crap. And it's not like the later From Soft games where the enemies were either too tough, didn't drop anything good, or were just generally irritating to fight, that you'd just run past them. Instead fights go by pretty fast, and enemies give a nice chunk of XP and upgrade materials.
Weapon system is pretty much exactly like Dark Souls; different looking weapons all have mostly unique movesets, they're upgraded with metals and can be infused to make them deal elemental damage etc.
Magics, special attacks and buffs aren't only for bosses; instead you can, and should be, using them pretty much all the time, since you get magic points back from simply hitting enemies.

Now it IS very chuuni, so if you don't have tolerance for anime, then the game might not be for you.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The Souls formula has really bloomed in the hands of other developers, while it's stagnated in the hands of From. The best Souls games of the last few years have all been games not made by From.

Lord Romulus

Arcane
To anybody else who's this far, have the purple hedgehog yetis been the most annoying enemies so far? Damn, they're annoying.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom