Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
the only iso game that's looking as pretty as deadfire. disco have alot more identity due to its artstyle, but hate poe or not, deadfire is still graphics marvel for isometric game.
Did ya just attempted to hijack Disco thread for Deadfire?
yqsh9m4gj4p31.jpg

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
There is violence in the game, but no "battle screen" per se and you won't be killing 10000 goblins to collect their pelts. Combat is resolved through dialogue choices and skill checks just like everything else. You know, like in a real detective story where fighting is just another thing that happens sometimes.

Sounds super interesting. About to start Greedfall so I'll wait for day one impressions, but consider my interest piqued. Great art style.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Thats a pretty looking game.
the only iso game that's looking as pretty as deadfire. disco have alot more identity due to its artstyle, but hate poe or not, deadfire is still graphics marvel for isometric game.

Yeah, the stuff they did on that POE engine is amazing. Honestly I think that Tyranny is a better looking game than Deadfire, but that's just because I like that it did something different from the usual high fantasy stuff.

I think that Death Trash ( http://www.deathtrash.com/ ) and Disco Elysium are currently my 2 favorite isometric games for the unique 'look' they have.

Deleted Member 16721

I'm wondering if skill check dialogues will always be the best way to respond to a situation or if the other options will also be valid.

Since Kasparov rated this 'citation needed' I'll expound.

Will skill checks always be the premium way to handle encounters and situations? Or sometimes will a non-skill check dialogue option be a good course of action as well. In other words, if you have high skills will those options always be the best way to handle a situation?

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
There is no shortage of 'actual, real, driven, rigorously trained' artists in the industry.

I disagree on this - there is ALWAYS the shortage of talented and REAL artists. ALWAYS.

You can't just TURN into such artist - you need to work on this matter in order to be such artist.
To work where and on what projects - if there is no demand for such work?

I'm gonna model my first char after this bad cop:

giphy.gif

Which movie is it?

How did a collective of communist artist ended up liking rpgs enough to make one themself?

Are they?

Disco Elysium isn't even in the top 100 most wishlisted games on Steam, it's on page 6.

The smaller sect is, the stronger beliefs.

I'm ready for this. If it's like Numenera I will be pleased.

If so I will kick some asses.

Combatfags will hate it though, most likely dismissing it as not really combat, even as they lie on the ground bleeding to death from a gut shot.

Well shot my friend!

It sounds great, but then so did Star Citizen and Torment: Tides of Numanuma, to name just two.

Absolutely disagree - second looks to me like what it turned out to be from the first minute I heard about it - the game that not even a shadow of P:T, and the reasons are absolutelu objective and are in how culture and art works. The reason P:T happen to be a game it is wasn't because Avellon wanted to make game "like game X before",
so when I saw this bullshit "spiritual successor" words I knew it will be shit - like PoE was shit for similiar reasons.
As for SC - I never was excited by it, and the more time passed, the more cautious I was.

On the other hand, three years ago I expected from No Truce with th Furies exactly what we seeing todayfrom Disco Elysium - at least from articles, devblog and trailers.
Nothing changes even a bit, same picture and impressions.

Prime Junta

On the other hand, three years ago I expected from No Truce with th Furies exactly what we seeing todayfrom Disco Elysium - at least from articles, devblog and trailers.
Nothing changes even a bit, same picture and impressions.

Yeah it is remarkable how well it has maintained focus. It’s just gotten a LOT bigger in the interim.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Other way around, he was an art intern in the early days and has been living off Kasparov's work ever since. True story
Actually if you have any character/costume design questions then it is Rostov’s brain that needs to be picked. I worked on only a handful of those and focused on environments and props.
I would assume he’s aware of Gosha.

Will skill checks always be the premium way to handle encounters and situations? Or sometimes will a non-skill check dialogue option be a good course of action as well. In other words, if you have high skills will those options always be the best way to handle a situation?
I’m not sure I get your question 100%, but that might be because DE skills and checks work differently than how most cRPGs have used them. Or I might be an idiot – that’s never off the table.

Your interactions with the world often include passive checks that lead to dialogue options. Without looking at any one encounter I think you could say that it’s not the only way, but if you want your character to have a say in the outcome, then often you’re looking at a skill check.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom