Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Distant Worlds (with expansions)

Baptismbyfire

Liturgist
Considering I got utterly facefucked by pirates in a normal difficulty game I think I'll avoid mods that make the game harder, at least until I get a better handle on the game (assuming the mod you mean is this one. Although it doesn't have any new races so maybe it isn't). I'll try it out when I suck less balls though

That's the one. But you need to get the Extended version to get additional races. The game also improves the graphics quite a bit, so just get it. You can just lower the difficulty, you pussy.

Lord Rocket

Erudite
Oh all right -- I started a new vanilla game this morning (with pirates set to 'very few') but I'll try the mods out when I start a newer game.

Norfleet

The key to winning space fights in DW is that RANGE AND SPEED ARE EVERYTHING. The AI, as a rule, tends to design ships that are slow and have short range and endurance. As long as you are faster and have superior range, you will win handily. Cut everything necessary to make sure your ship has superior range and speed, even if you are massively outgunned and have paper-thin armor for it.

Riel

Arcane
Honestly Distant World is an ultra liberal simulation. Low taxes -> Economic Growth -> Income from Spaceport -> Economic Hegemony -> Trivial Win.

It has nice concepts but as a game it is very uni dimensional.

Monocause

Arcane
Honestly Distant World is an ultra liberal simulation. Low taxes -> Economic Growth -> Income from Spaceport -> Economic Hegemony -> Trivial Win.

It has nice concepts but as a game it is very uni dimensional.

Agreed, it's a shame that the basic economic model never received a proper overhaul despite a lot of work done on the game.

Haven't played a lot but I read about the 0% tax rate strategy in a guide somewhere when i was learning the ropes and have done it in all my few games. It's just clearly optimal to keep your tax as low as possible, and I'm not sure if that was intended; if it was, considering how much in the game is automated, there should be an automation option where your taxes are kept as low as possible and only go up to prevent you from going into the red.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom