Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Yeah, got 12 with skinner, 41 rathound leather and 142 supersteel fiber.
I wonder though IF I CAN GET MORE

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Found the music puzzle in the Nexus of Technology-- wow, you're joking right? For a puzzle like this the reward better be killer...

*looks up spoilers* Oh gee, a gun. Whoop dee doo. At least I can skip it. Why not make it an awesome feat or stat bonus or something? So lame.
I believe there are also some oddities in the chamber that it unlocks. Plus the gun and the other items in there are worth a ton of money.

But yes the cipher is absurdly hard to solve considering the reward.

So far the XP in Expedition has been crap, I get more for picking locks than killing mobs. That plus the hordes of trash mobs and crappy loot have finally made stealth feel worth it.

But I get tons of oddities everywhere. I guess this is styg's revenge on me for picking classic mode. :argh:

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
doubt it, maybe you can get 13% but will you really notice difference in that 1%?
The real question that bothers me is whether I need Skinner feat to get this 12-13 critchance bonus. Maybe there’s a way to get it with higher quality of leather/supersteel? God I hate this game for this kind of hard choices (just kidding, I love it).

ciox

Liturgist
doubt it, maybe you can get 13% but will you really notice difference in that 1%?
The real question that bothers me is whether I need Skinner feat to get this 12-13 critchance bonus. Maybe there’s a way to get it with higher quality of leather/supersteel? God I hate this game for this kind of hard choices (just kidding, I love it).
Pretty sure there isn't.

Btw what are you trying to do? From my research, the easiest way to reach 100% crit chance without extremely annoying conditional factors like Ambush and Survival Instincts, is to use Steadfast Aim and the S&W revolver.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I rescued the professor, which was one of the better experiences in gaming that I've had. But what now? I talk to him, or to Briggs or to the millenial scientist, but there is nothing new in the dialogue options. How do I progress the quest?

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I rescued the professor, which was one of the better experiences in gaming that I've had. But what now? I talk to him, or to Briggs or to the millenial scientist, but there is nothing new in the dialogue options. How do I progress the quest?
Try the radio, there should definitely be a way to progress. I've always negotiated to get the professor back so it's all one big dialoge tree. IDK how it's supposed to work if you bust him out.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Found the music puzzle in the Nexus of Technology-- wow, you're joking right? For a puzzle like this the reward better be killer...

*looks up spoilers* Oh gee, a gun. Whoop dee doo. At least I can skip it. Why not make it an awesome feat or stat bonus or something? So lame.
I believe there are also some oddities in the chamber that it unlocks. Plus the gun and the other items in there are worth a ton of money.

But yes the cipher is absurdly hard to solve considering the reward.

If you specced into the build it the reward is pretty amazing.

The puzzle is also really simple if you know how, but you basically have to use a spreadsheet/guide for it

ColCol

Arcane
So I beat expedition. But what was

acorn. Also, were the subislanders used because they were fit for the environment or because they were considered expendable?

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
Grenade spam is your friend and primary weapon till level 10, or until you pick up a submachine gun

Grenades is a last resort thing, use them like that or you won't learn how to fight.
Grenades are part of how to fight. duh.
Grenades are your primary weapon throughout the whole game, your first action in any combat should be a molotov, to fear and weaken as many enemies as possible, especially early game because you'll be out numbered and your gun is trash

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Pretty sure there isn't.

Btw what are you trying to do? From my research, the easiest way to reach 100% crit chance without extremely annoying conditional factors like Ambush and Survival Instincts, is to use Steadfast Aim and the S&W revolver.
An SMG build with minimum of 59% unconditional critchance.

ciox

Liturgist
Pretty sure there isn't.

An SMG build with minimum of 59% unconditional critchance.
That's definitely achievable, slightly easier if you went AR because of the +7% scope.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Grenades are your primary weapon throughout the whole game, your first action in any combat should be a molotov, to fear and weaken as many enemies as possible,

:dead:

If only I played that way - I wouldn't play past initial 100 hours.
I can't insert my brain to another person's head - oh well...

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Try the radio, there should definitely be a way to progress. I've always negotiated to get the professor back so it's all one big dialoge tree. IDK how it's supposed to work if you bust him out.
I tried the radio but I was in the camp, so most people just said "Come talk to me in person". I don't know, maybe the next mission is on a scripted timer when to appear?

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
Grenades are your primary weapon throughout the whole game, your first action in any combat should be a molotov, to fear and weaken as many enemies as possible,

:dead:

If only I played that way - I wouldn't play past initial 100 hours.
I can't insert my brain to another person's head - oh well...
How did you beat the early encounters in the game then, molotovs are by far the most effective method, without them depot a becomes almost impossible for a guns player

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
A few days ago I finally finished this behemoth of a game. Main campaign + expedition. It took me approximately 121 hours, 6 hour less than Assassin's Creed: Odyssey (without DLCs though). So it was my second biggest game of 2019.

What a great experience. Combat, exploration, certain puzzles*, the worldbuilding and ambiance, it was all perfect.

I hated the DC though. Constant respawning enemies and general lack of clear direction what the hero should be doing and why. The game would be almost perfect with a different endgame area. Also, some questlines could use some more love (the Protectorate or the factions of the Oligarchy - they are simply too short).

The lore was interesting, if too cryptic. I didn't really love the storyline, because it never felt like my character had a strong motivation to do anything.

First he was searching for a McGuffin of unknown use (powersource? powering what?) because Tanner told him. Why does the Cube need finding, except for the fact it brought the Faceless invasion? Then he heard from Six, who really does not seem like the most reliable and truthful creature in the Underrail, that Tanner is the bad guy and the only way to fix things is to kill Tchort. Why? We don't really see Tchort doing anything truelly evil. Sure, his sect is obviously evil, but the creature itself? Then, after we kill Tchort, we really don't have much choice: we can give it to the Faceless, thus ending the war in Underrail, which seems like common sense. We can try to fight through and don't let go of the Cube but then Six takes it from us, so it is really a false choice. Then we have the final choice of becoming council member at SGS or listening to Six and going to Hexagon. The second option would be more exciting if we even knew, who of the Godmen is worse: Tanner or Six.

At least in Expedition it was obvious that my PC was in for the money.

Some questionable design decisions: it is far too easy to miss the Oculus storyline (I did because I though Abram is a free drone and I wanted to cooperate with the Protectorate this playthrough). It is far too easy to alienate the Free Drones, if you wish to cooperate with them, but still deliver aid to Railway Crossing. Finally, it is far to easy to make the Faceless hostile.

Despite these facts and a weak story, I am looking forward to the sequel. I hope it finally provides us with some answers.

I'd rate it 8/10. 1 point substracted for lack of meaningful motivation for the PC, one for the Deep Caverns.

Lord_Potato out!

* I ignored the music puzzle, because the gun did not fit my build. After trying a few times and failing I also ignored the mutagen puzzle, because I felt my cave wizard is powerful enough to finish Tchort without such an easy mode. And he was.

Last edited:

OldJonas

Barely Literate
Some questionable design decisions: it is far too easy to miss the Oculus storyline (I did because I though Abram is a free drone and I wanted to cooperate with the Protectorate this playthrough). It is far too easy to alienate the Free Drones, if you wish to cooperate with them, but still deliver aid to Railway Crossing. Finally, it is far to easy to make the Faceless hostile.
It was far too easy to miss out that the Oligarchy quests are mandatory to find Cornell and that they were mandatory to finish the game. When I first got to Core City, I agreed with the residents that they oligarchs were cunts and instead did other quests, the arena, etc. I did the Gorsky quest line expecting it to be the main quest only to find out that plot thread just ends abruptly and isn't even necessary to finish the game.

In the end, I finished literally every other quest in the game barring the ones locked off by faction choices. I even nearly fully explored the entire map until I gave in and googled it. Nope, you HAVE to do an oligarch quest, and no, it isn't mentioned anywhere. It took me 2-3 hours from starting the JKK questline to finishing the game, as there was no other content.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
2-3 hours for the JKK questline, Institute of Tchort and Deep Caverns?

That seems almost unbelievable. For speedrunners sure, but for 1st playthrough? I spent like 10-15 hours in DC alone.

The connection between Oligarchy questlines and finding Cornell was briefly mentioned in a journal entry (something about seeking the aid of rulers of Core City to locate the Acid Hunters), but I think it was easy to miss, true.

Scrounger

Educated
Storyline definitely have a few bumpy points on a road but most of the crucial details and story elements are contained in Oculus "pyramid" which you probably missed (perfect reason for at least one more playthrough).
I can spell few things here and there but most of them are hidden throughout the underrail.

There is surprisingly elaborated answer to the most mysteries and questions revolving around Tanners plan and execution. How he has done it, who helped him, etc...
Also how he used Bakers (the missing merchants) and you to get what he wants. You could also see and speak several times with Six before going to Deep caverns, find additional information about Terry Baker, her story and also about Tchort (what kind of creature is he?).

It's very tightly and maybe too much hidden from initial glance. As I said, Oculus is crucial for the full story, without it it's pretty much clueless walking around, confusion and bewilderment...
I'm kind of ok with all of that, if I would add something it would be option to fuck away from Tchort Institute before Faceless Invasion, maybe some kind of soft game over. You are alive but you doesn't know anything and you don't want to....

Also there are additional answers if you wait a little before you take a ticket to the North and finish a game. Again Oculus...the Centar of all important information!

I don't know, everything clicks down in the end but there is definitely a difference between clueless guy and unbelievable lucky guy who survived the horrors of the depths and who understood what was actually going on.
My take is that the next DLC will take in account alliances with certain factions and C&C in expedition. Including the hidden ones. And information that your guy or girl gathered up!

Goromorg

Savant
The lore was interesting, if too cryptic. I didn't really love the storyline, because it never felt like my character had a strong motivation to do anything.
Tanner used advanced neuro linguistic programming on protagonist to make him follow orders without questioning. This was also done to break natural limitations of protagonist's brain to give him superhuman ability to adapt.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom