Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones - a Lovecraftian Computer RPG

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm not sure if you're trying to make some sort of joke, but most releases have 10-15% off the first week or so. Even Grimoire had a launch discount.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think I'll get back to the game after Disco Elysium. I hope the sales are decent enough for post-launch support and polishing.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
I'm not sure if you're trying to make some sort of joke, but most releases have 10-15% off the first week or so. Even Grimoire had a launch discount.
That's you're own fault. Did I not say the last game I bought at launch was Shogun 2? I don't remember a discount.

Silva

Arcane
As a little sidenote, if we get more Lovecraftian games in the future (which I'm starting to hope we won't given that they all end up being disappointing), I really hope that we will get a game that is not just a collection of Lovecraft stories. In my mind, you can be Lovecraftian without referencing Innsmouth in every goddamn game for example.

Write something that has similar sensibilities, unlocking the mysteries of the world, dealing with sanity and horror, all that shit. But do it without referencing Cthulhu or Dagon or all the other well known stuff that's been done to death. Keep the atmosphere but come up with new stuff. Getting a Cthulhu statuette is not interesting or mysterious, seeing the Marsh family referenced in every Lovecraft game ever made is not interesting or mysterious, having a quest essentially be The Whisperer in Darkness gives away the fact that yes, I will be meeting and probably fighting one of those flying Yuggoth cunts at some point. It goes on and on and on and it's not scary, it's not mysterious, it's not interesting. It's just "hey guys I get that reference, that's so cool!" and it's shitty.
Lovecraft is well known pop culture at this point. I have a Christmas Cthulhu plushie in my sofa. Cthulhu is nostalgic. It's not scary or interesting any more. It's been sucked dry of mystery.

Fuck the stories and come up with something new and have the "oooh it's a Lovecraftian game!" come from the atmosphere instead.
Already exists.

It's called Bloodborne.
Somehow I doubt that H.P. Lovecraft's creative vision included beating the shit out of Elder Gods in hand-to-hand combat.
So what do you expected from a game based on Lovecraft? Romancing the Mi-Go?

I'm waiting for a Lovecraft RPG where you play as the horrors rather than the humans. You can still start off weak and stuff, but the point of the game should be to become stronger and create dominion over the weaklings.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Somehow I doubt that H.P. Lovecraft's creative vision included beating the shit out of Elder Gods in hand-to-hand combat.
All games ultimately must boil down to chipping away at a boss monster hit point bar? Really hope you're not serious.
iseewhatyoudid.png

Trash Player

Scholar
So is this worth purchasing at -15%? I heard there's lots of bugs, but are the devs actually giving the game proper post-launch support to fix these issues?
If you can stand jank and like the what you see on store page, sure do. Otherwise no.
Devs will talk about roadmap in a stream in a few days but 10k sales and mixed review on Steam plus the whole project management so far don't give me any confidence at all.

but 10k sales and mixed review on Steam plus the whole project management so far don't give me any confidence at all.
10k sales at $24 = 240,000 = 1,372,872 TL
That is enough money to make several games of Stygian's size and caliber in Turkey.

Albeit project management is half the battle and i don't know anything about Stygian's.

V_K

Arcane
I'm not sure about 10k. Steamdb reported the range of 20k to 50k for a few days, but now is back to 0 - 20k. So I would assume that puts the actual number somewhere around 20k.

Mortmal

Arcane
but 10k sales and mixed review on Steam plus the whole project management so far don't give me any confidence at all.
That is enough money to make several games of Stygian's size and caliber in Turkey.

Albeit project management is half the battle and i don't know anything about Stygian's.
Turkey cost of life isnt so low , its like half of an european one. Can only hope they sell enough to keep going.

Silva

Arcane
I'm waiting for a Lovecraft RPG where you play as the horrors rather than the humans. You can still start off weak and stuff, but the point of the game should be to become stronger and create dominion over the weaklings.
Already exists.

It's called Bloodborne.

images

Last edited:

Trash Player

Scholar

Don't forget Steam 30% cut. And regional price would drag the average price lower. The pre-launch kickstarter updates reported lack of funds.
Steamspy is kinda wonky, the first few days tend to report sales unit inflation. Fantasy General 2 was reported to sell ~45k units early but later on stabilized to <20k.
Not sure why. The game dev page gives a sales unit number instead of a range. That is how I found the <10k sales.

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
All games ultimately must boil down to chipping away at a boss monster hit point bar?
Nope. You also have waking sims like Amnesia or Penumbra.

So what do you prefer: a) to beat the shit out of monsters in exciting tactical combats or b) walk, walk, walk, hide, walk, hide, walk, endgame ?

Deleted Member 16721

So what the heck. I just randomly encountered 5 dogs and 2 mobsters. Ugh. Mobsters stand on the other side of the map and just shoot you for big damage with rifles, while dogs crowd you. It's like an impossible fight. Maybe I need to upgrade some weaponry or armor or something. I'm really not enjoying the combat much. It's either too hard or too slow, and I can barely deal any damage. Kind of a bummer, I love the other aspects of the game but they're throwing me into these hard encounters that aren't much fun. I may shelve it for now and wait for Disco/Paranoia.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
So what the heck. I just randomly encountered 5 dogs and 2 mobsters. Ugh. Mobsters stand on the other side of the map and just shoot you for big damage with rifles, while dogs crowd you. It's like an impossible fight. Maybe I need to upgrade some weaponry or armor or something. I'm really not enjoying the combat much. It's either too hard or too slow, and I can barely deal any damage. Kind of a bummer, I love the other aspects of the game but they're throwing me into these hard encounters that aren't much fun. I may shelve it for now and wait for Disco/Paranoia.
That's one of the harder fights but I beat it second try, I had the dog, sonia and Eduardo, I had guns skill at 5 with the Tommy gun, just kite them to the entrance

Silva

Arcane
Anyone else find the character sprites too cartoonish? It's not so much to break my immersion but I wish it was a bit more sober. Arcanum-like would be a good compromise for me.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
My biggest gripe with combat, even after i got strong enough to wipe out pretty much anything, is that even after you win with minimal casualties in hp/sanity you still get a angst hit which you cant get rid of. So at the end i savescummed the traveling part, always reloaded if i got ambushed en route.

Stakhanov

Augur

You must've done something to piss off the mob. Those guys show up if you've had a hit put out on you. If you're early in the game or have weak gear just run.

As for combat, if you're having difficulties it's either a problem with build or tactics, the game is quite easy with some knowledge of the systems.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
DINDU NUFFIN and still got that Mob random encounter...reloaded.... got the crazies encounter ....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom