Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City is actually not terrible.

Dr Tomo

Learned
Play the 3rd and Code Veronica if you want something similar like the ones that you've played.

Sure I will look for a emu and give it a shot.

Resident Evil Zero was pretty decent, too.

I will try it too why not.

As for whether the series is salvageable--definitely. They really need to do a reboot, though. After 17 years of games, there's way too much backstory, now.

Which is one of the things I liked about RE:ORC--by returning to the Raccoon City setting of the second & third games, they avoided a lot of the convoluted story stuff that got introduced later. Plus, they got back to the core gameplay concept of shooting zombies in the face with a variety of military hardware.

So they need to retcon most of the previous games and start from scratch? Also when you say core game play concept of shooting zombies in the face, don't they already do that in the recent RE games like 4-6?

Ebonsword

Arcane
So they need to retcon most of the previous games and start from scratch? Also when you say core game play concept of shooting zombies in the face, don't they already do that in the recent RE games like 4-6?

Well, the problem with RE4 and RE5 (and I assume RE6, too, although I've never played that one) is that the enemies aren't really zombies anymore--at least not the "classic" type of zombie found in RE1 - RE:CV.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Ok, I reinstalled Raccoon City. It's as bad as it has always been.

What don't you like about it? I can understand being disappointed if you expected a survival horror game, but as a squad-based TPS, I'm finding it quite fun.

Don Peste

Arcane
Ok, I reinstalled Raccoon City. It's as bad as it has always been.

What don't you like about it? I can understand being disappointed if you expected a survival horror game, but as a squad-based TPS, I'm finding it quite fun.
I expected a shooter. But I'm sorry, you cannot like this game. AI is awful, levels are ugly, shooting mechanics are terrible, characters are lame... There is not a single slightly good thing.
Do not loose time with this. If you're looking for a TPS shooter, play Inversion, Conflict Series, whatever. Not this. I understand the debate with Elder Scrolls Series, Witcher, Civ5. Some say they're good, some say they're bad.
This game is bad period.

Ebonsword

Arcane
So, I picked up the DLC missions for the game this week.

They're pretty sweet, but, Jesus, are they hard. In the original campaign, once you upgrade your weapons and abilities a bit, you can get through the missions pretty easily. But the DLC missions are a challenge even with your stuff upgraded.

I particularly liked the mission where you're fighting zombies in the sewers with nothing but flares and muzzle-flash to light your way:

Dr Tomo

Learned
Resident Evil 5 Replaces Street Fighter II As Capcom’s New All-Time Best Seller

This past week Capcom revealed that life-to-date sales of Resident Evil 5 have overtaken Street Fighter II, making the fifth (lackluster) entry in the Resident Evil franchise the Japanese publisher’s new best-selling video game of all time.

The update to Capcom’s Platinum Titles list on their investor site reveals that LTD sales of Resident Evil 5 have now reached 6.5 million units, beating out Street Fighter II‘s 6.3 million. This places the classic fighter smack in the middle of a nasty Jill sandwich, with Resident Evil 6 and its 5.2 million in sales stalled out in third place.

While the news of Street Fighter II‘s fall from the top of Capcom’s charts is devastating to Resident Evil 5 haters/SFII lovers (like myself), there is a footnote in the sales data that provides a small bit of comfort. RE5‘s life-to-date sales are calculated as a combined total from the PS3, Xbox 360, and full-game downloads via PSN (which, thanks to its PlayStation Plus appearance, is the likely culprit for the unexpected bump in sales), Xbox Live, and PC. On the other hand, Street Fighter II has only the original Super Nintendo version to thank for its 6.3 million in LTD sales. None of the fighter’s various releases on other platforms or downloadable services are recorded in the data.

We may never know exactly how Capcom’s top two selling games stack up against each other, but in my mind the missing Street Fighter II sales data has to be more than enough to close the gap on the yukky Resident Evil 5.

Capcom’s top 10 Platinum Titles are as follows:

Release Title Platform Units
(000 copies) *millions
1 2009/3 Resident Evil 5 PS3,Xbox 360,DL 6,500
2 1992/6 Street Fighter II SFC 6,300
3 2012/10 Resident Evil 6 PS3,Xbox 360,DL 5,200
4 1998/1 Resident Evil 2 PS 4,960
5 2010/12 Monster Hunter Freedom 3 PSP,DL 4,800
6 1993/7 Street Fighter II Turbo SFC 4,100
7 2008/3 Monster Hunter Freedom Unite PSP,DL 3,600
8 1999/9 Resident Evil 3 Nemesis PS 3,500
9 2009/2 Street Fighter IV PS3,Xbox 360,DL 3,300
10 2013/9 Monster Hunter 4 3DS,DL 2,800

Looks like Resident Evil Operation Racoon City was a flop, but luckily it turns out that 5&6 were best sellers.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Well, RE:ORC sold like 2 - 2.5 million copies, so I wouldn't call it a "flop" exactly (but who knows with the crazy sales expectations modern games have?).

I can't believe that RE5 is the best selling Capcom game ever. Of the RE games I've played, it's easily the worst in the series (although, I hated RE4, too).

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
So if the game is not terrible, the rating is nonshitty?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

YldriE

Learned
Your 6mos ago experience is outdated. Dozens of Steam reviews within the past month say it is broken.
Sure, and before that people were already saying it no longer worked. Would you look at that, I got it working just fine. Knowing the average Steam user, especially the average dumbfuck who complains about tech issues in reviews, odds are it's still fine.

For accuracy's sake, Steam says last use was August the 30rd.

YldriE

Learned

qUu6qad.jpg

Nothing seems out of the ordinary...

...which of course is far from a compliment. You still need to install GFWL separately, unlike other Steam dependencies that just get installed automatically when you first run the game. The first log-in is also very long (some people report almost 20 minutes), then the next times you run the game it's instant.

Just because it technically works doesn't mean it's not bullshit, I'm 100% on board with that, the least they could do is update GFWL one last time to clean it up for the few games that still use it.

If that's really beyond your tolerance, Xenia and RPCS3 are making great progress, someone curious should keep the .iso around. That's still a lot of trouble for it though, I like it a lot but it's still a pretty average zombie slaughter game.

Ebonsword

Arcane
I just booted RE:ORC up via Steam on my Windows 7 machine and it works fine (I have never uninstalled it, though).

Ebonsword

Arcane
Giving this thread a bump because RE:ORC is now playable at 60 fps on the Xbox Series X. Since people seem to have a lot of trouble getting the Steam version to work these days, the Series X is probably your best option for playing it,

I'm playing through it again right now. Man, I know people hate this game, but I still find it immensely fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom