Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Codex Year of the Donut
Then just don't say it has 'one million words'. Say it has more words than bible.
This is like a movie bragging that it has a million lines or more lines than the bible. No movie ever does this, and for a good reason.

Mortmal

Arcane
Do we get an official Codex preview piece Infi?

We already have somebody picked to do a review (no, it's not Prime Junta). Don't see much point in "previewing" a game that's coming out in less than two weeks. But maybe we can use the preview build to save some time.
Why the we of majesty ? You are probably the only one still doing stuff here, the owner is cruising in the vast australian wasteland in a suv and under heavy medication.

barghwata

Savant
Then just don't say it has 'one million words'. Say it has more words than bible.
This is like a movie bragging that it has a million lines or more lines than the bible. No movie ever does this, and for a good reason.

Yes, because when you're watching a movie you don't really get to choose what lines are being said by the characters and who says them nor how the story progresses, so a movie can't be good by virtue of the quantity of dialogue by itself, if the dialogue isn't of quality.

In a Roleplaying game that emphasises on C&C and player freedom however, the number of words can be a bragging point since it indicates that the game might offer alot of dialogue options for the player, a lot of C&C or a vast world filled with characters to explore.

The comparaison with movies just seems misplaced.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Do we get an official Codex preview piece Infi?

We already have somebody picked to do a review (no, it's not Prime Junta). Don't see much point in "previewing" a game that's coming out in less than two weeks. But maybe we can use the preview build to save some time.
Why the we of majesty ? You are probably the only one still doing stuff here, the owner is cruising in the vast australian wasteland in a suv and under heavy medication.

“We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.
Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.”

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I don't think I can handle another Codex review after I read the one claiming that Atom RPG is a sophisticated postmodernist deconstruction of quantum Neo-freudian Buddhism mixed with deterministic neurological Socratesian undertones.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The Codex Review will, of course, be out just in time for Grimoire II exclusive interview
Please refer to Cleve's next game by its proper name...

VggZYI8.png

...Armoire: Heralds of the Eldritch Abomination

Prime Junta

don't worry cunta would throw an old man shitfit if anyone dared to review the game before him

I'm not reviewing the game.

(Also, that bit about gameplay info was not fair. My reviews have been quite mechanics-heavy, even by Codexian standards.)

Prime Junta

I just got word from the Central Committee that I can talk freely about anything up to and including the first day and night of the game. I'm even allowed to post screenshots!

Some high (and low) points I've experienced --
  • Dying before getting out of the hotel room. This was in fact the first time I spun up the game. Involved a particular build, a poor decision, and a bad die roll. Good times
  • Failing to impress Klaasje with my game.
  • Succeeding at impressing Klaasje with my game!
  • Failing to get out of paying my bill.
  • Succeeding at getting out of paying my bill!
  • Succeeding at getting that little fucker Cuno to crack. (Finns will get an extra kick out of that encounter btw.)
  • Playing pétanque with some war veterans grousing about the old times, and succeeding by failing, and failing by succeeding.
  • Trying and failing to solve a mystery involving a business cursed with the curse of financial hardship
  • Developing an Inexplicable Feminist Agenda that gave me more authority when dealing with men, but made me less sexually attractive
  • Encountering the Homo-sexual Underground
  • Discovering something about my past life that was so traumatic it gave me a heart attack
  • Trying and completely failing to shock a rich liberal lady with outrageous behaviour, she turned out to be seriously cool and I'm sad she didn't invite me onto her yacht
  • Measurehead, the giant black guy with Advanced Race Theory
  • Fucking acing the autopsy, with help from my horrible necktie I discovered the actual cause of death
  • Starting to piece together the mystery of what happened to my badge and my gun
  • Bonding with Boring Cop Kim Kitsuragi
and jeez, I could go on forever but I won't

Anyway, I've got well over 30 hours in the first day and have played through it with a whole bunch of different builds. So ask me anything, I'll answer ... except I'll try to avoid any real spoilers as that wouldn't be cool even if it's technically allowed. So AMA

GloomFrost

Arcane
I just got word from the Central Committee that I can talk freely about anything up to and including the first day and night of the game. I'm even allowed to post screenshots!

• Dying before getting out of the hotel room. This was in fact the first time I spun up the game. Involved a particular build, a poor decision, and a bad die roll. Good times
  • Succeeding at getting that little fucker Cuno to crack. (Finns will get an extra kick out of that encounter btw.)
  • Playing pétanque with some war veterans grousing about the old times, and succeeding by failing, and failing by succeeding.
  • Trying and failing to solve a mystery involving a business cursed with the curse of financial hardship
  • Developing an Inexplicable Feminist Agenda that gave me more authority when dealing with men, but made me less sexually attractive
  • Discovering something about my past life that was so traumatic it gave me a heart attack
  • Trying and completely failing to shock a rich liberal lady with outrageous behaviour, she turned out to be seriously cool and I'm sad she didn't invite me onto her yacht
  • Fucking acing the autopsy, with help from my horrible necktie I discovered the actual cause of death
  • Starting to piece together the mystery of what happened to my badge and my gun

Anyway, I've got well over 30 hours in the first day and have played through it with a whole bunch of different builds. So ask me anything, I'll answer ... except I'll try to avoid any real spoilers as that wouldn't be cool even if it's technically allowed. So AMA
What is soundtrack/background sound like? What about voice-overs? Thanx.

Prime Junta

How many times you went through the preview build in these 30 hours?

I think I've done about three more or less complete first-day runs, but a lot more where I was just feeling out different builds and restarted early.

What is that 5th area? Did you get there?

No. The ferry over to the rest of Martinaise isn't running on the first day so you're restricted to the area around the harbour.

What is soundtrack/background sound like? What about voice-overs? Thanx.

Soundtrack is terrific, it's by British Sea Power so it could hardly be anything else. VO is partial. At its best it's terrific, at its not-so-best it's passable. It has more character than most game VOs and doesn't sound like it's a jaded actor reading from a paper; however it's a bit uneven IMO. Garte sounds like an asshole.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

Is the game in love with its own writing? Like numanuma, writing more words just for the sake of being wordy.

How was the dialogue window combat?

Loading screens between street and interiors?

How was the performance?

Prime Junta

How much of the game is the 1st day?

Pass.

Is the game in love with its own writing? Like numanuma, writing more words just for the sake of being wordy.

The writing is not at all like Numanuma. It's fast, tense, and punchy, easily the best writing I've seen in any video game. There are one or two possibilities for lore dumps if you dive into them but they are absolutely no kind of adjective soup. If it's in love with something it may be in love with its own cleverness at times, but then it is really clever so it's not like it's unjustified. You have to have a really giant chip on your shoulder to find things to hate about the writing.

How was the dialogue window combat?

There is no dialogue window combat in the first day that I could find, unless you count punching a kid. (He totally deserves it.)

Loading screens between street and interiors?

Annoying. There are also rather many of them. Comparable to Pillars of Eternity.

How was the performance?

Other than the loading screens, it's rather too good -- there's no V-sync option and I get some tearing on 1080p. I hope they'll add the V-sync box before release though. My rig is pretty beefy though (recent i5 with GTX 1080).

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
the number of words can be a bragging point since it indicates that the game might offer alot of dialogue options for the player, a lot of C&C or a vast world filled with characters to explore.
Likewise, it might just mean truckloads of boring lore dumps. It's like judging a book on word count.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom