Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Latro

Arcane
Let's settle this once and for all. Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, madamen und herreren, incels and furries, I give you...

Huge Nick's Ultimate Guide To What is An RPG.

gYKpLTR.png
Let's go a step further.

Can you LARP = Is there a Character Creator.

So Dark Souls qualifies as an RPG, but Disco Elysium does not.

CASE CLOSED.

What?? are you saying DE doesn't have a character creator?
the stats/skill system is just for dialogue based bullshit, it's masking the fact that you don't create the character. ergo, it is not an rpg.

planet-escape tournament also scrapes by, but more on the merits of being a D&D game.

Prime Junta

To answer Infinitron's question about shop interfaces earlier ITT, the answer is "yes."

As in, yes, it is through dialogue, and yes, there is a shop interface. The specifics of how it works depend on where you're shopping. That's kinda remarkable that they went to the trouble actually, it would've been much simpler just to have the same shop interface for everything. Screenshots:

Im1rWy7.jpg

gT5At9s.jpg

Terenty

Liturgist
Just because it doesn't have traditional combat that doesn't mean you can't get a game over screen. You have health points and volition points. If you run out of either, you're dead. Failing physical checks tends to cost you health, failing more emotional checks tends to cost you volition. Drugs that boost your stats also cost health or volition. You can recover these with "potions" or by succeeding at stuff.

Ok, this sounds good. Definitely not a twine

barghwata

Savant
Let's settle this once and for all. Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, madamen und herreren, incels and furries, I give you...

Huge Nick's Ultimate Guide To What is An RPG.

gYKpLTR.png
Let's go a step further.

Can you LARP = Is there a Character Creator.

So Dark Souls qualifies as an RPG, but Disco Elysium does not.

CASE CLOSED.

What?? are you saying DE doesn't have a character creator?
the stats/skill system is just for dialogue based bullshit, it's masking the fact that you don't create the character. ergo, it is not an rpg.

planet-escape tournament also scrapes by, but more on the merits of being a D&D game.

So by your definition of an RPG, any game that doesn't have some sort of turn based, real time, or RTwP combat is not an RPG period?

vota DC

Augur
Not sure why this is so complicated, the game allows you complete freedom in how you build your character through stats and skills, and the character build impacts every aspect of the game, the gameplay, the story, quest solving, dialogue etc........
What does a game have to do to be considered an RPG i don't understand, can anyone of the people claiming DE is not an RPG explain to us what an RPG is? so we can understand your point of view.
RPG Is very tight, so It isn't a 100% RPG, for stuff like Diablo you have the definition "action rpg", in this case you don't. It isn't a graphic adventure too since without right stats you can't unlock some path I guess, you can't even find objects. Planescape was 100% RPG, there wasn't anything hybrid about It, DE seems a little hybrid, still RPG Is the genre with most elements in common.

barghwata

Savant
Not sure why this is so complicated, the game allows you complete freedom in how you build your character through stats and skills, and the character build impacts every aspect of the game, the gameplay, the story, quest solving, dialogue etc........
What does a game have to do to be considered an RPG i don't understand, can anyone of the people claiming DE is not an RPG explain to us what an RPG is? so we can understand your point of view.
RPG Is very tight, so It isn't a 100% RPG, for stuff like Diablo you have the definition "action rpg", in this case you don't. It isn't a graphic adventure too since without right stats you can't unlock some path I guess, you can't even find objects. Planescape was 100% RPG, there wasn't anything hybrid about It, DE seems a little hybrid, still RPG Is the genre with most elements in common.

If you want to claim it's a hybrid i am fine with that, but to claim it's not an RPG at all makes the definition of RPG awfully restrictive.
It won't just be DE that will have to be moved to general gaming, a looot of games will.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
There are lots of ways to accomplish many of your goals in this game--that's a good thing! Nevertheless, when you fuck up, you will feel it.

I guess, in my mind, storyfag RPGs require correlation to combatfag RPG if to be considered as equals.

In Combat RPGs failure means death usually, so I hope DE has some utterly depressing shit with end game consequences for big failures.

I'm talking Witcher 3 worst ending kind of thing.

Prime Junta

Where does the challenge come from in Disco Elysium?

There's a strategic challenge, namely, building a cop who is able to solve the case (and put his sad life back together).

Then there's the tactical challenge, which is using that cop's strengths and finding ways around his weaknesses to do that.

For example, suppose you want to get into the back room of a bookshop, but the owner really doesn't want you there and there's a pretty sturdy, locked door in the way. How do you do that? If you're a high Psyche cop, you could try mindfucking her into letting you in. If you're a high Physique one, you could just ignore her and bash your way through.

The mindfuck way was very satisfying. I had to impress her daughter with my mad detection skills, then convince her I was an expert in the paranatural capable of dispelling the Curse of Financial Distress affecting her business. I was left with the feeling that I might actually be an expert in the paranatural capable of dispelling curses... Kim was less certain though.

Both approaches are possible, they require different skill checks to work, and there may be things you can do to make these skill checks easier. The challenge is figuring out which approach works best for your cop, then doing it, and using your skill points strategically to reroll crucial white checks where you happened to roll badly, and for subsequent playthroughs, finding a build that can clear those obstacles more easily.

This is not like solving a puzzle in an adventure game (or a conventional RPG with a puzzle). It's much more dynamic. There isn't just one correct solution, there are several, and finding one that works for your build and your previous actions is not obvious. Moreover, the solutions can be various degrees of correct -- for example, just yesterday I solved a sidequest -- it got ticked off on my list and I got the XP and everything -- but I was very much left with the feeling that I missed out on something important; I intend to come back to it later to dig out what.

This isn't easy to describe and if you're already skeptical about what I'm saying it's unlikely that it'll impress you much if I tell you that yes, it does give the same kind of kicks as beating a combat encounter in a more conventional RPG, but... well, it does.

Latro

Arcane
There's a strategic challenge, namely, building a cop who is able to solve the case (and put his sad life back together).
aka, save and reload until the dice roll in your favor

Then there's the tactical challenge, which is using that cop's strengths and finding ways around his weaknesses to do that.
which also consists of getting dice rolls in your favor

For example, suppose you want to get into the back room of a bookshop, but the owner really doesn't want you there and there's a pretty sturdy, locked door in the way. How do you do that? If you're a high Psyche cop, you could try mindfucking her into letting you in. If you're a high Physique one, you could just ignore her and bash your way through.
but the game will always give you a way of getting in, which probably consists of dice rolls

the only reward for "building your detective right", seems to be less reloads :/

Prime Junta

aka, save and reload until the dice roll in your favor

Which is unheard-of in combat-heavy RPGs.

(Some might say that the very possibility of savescumming demonstrates that DE is, in fact, a RPG. Can you name an adventure game you can savescum your way through? :M :M :M )

turkishronin

Arcane
To answer Infinitron's question about shop interfaces earlier ITT, the answer is "yes."

As in, yes, it is through dialogue, and yes, there is a shop interface. The specifics of how it works depend on where you're shopping. That's kinda remarkable that they went to the trouble actually, it would've been much simpler just to have the same shop interface for everything. Screenshots:

Im1rWy7.jpg

gT5At9s.jpg

Screenshots look like that old game on Codex that had a name like "No Truce with Furries"

Prime Junta

there's a difference between dice rolls in turn based combat and dice rolls in situations

What is that difference?

(Oh, and. There are tabletop RPGs with no combat. Are they RPGs? If not, what are they?)

Terenty

Liturgist
Where does the challenge come from in Disco Elysium?

The mindfuck way was very satisfying. I had to impress her daughter with my mad detection skills, then convince her I was an expert in the paranatural capable of dispelling the Curse of Financial Distress affecting her business. I was left with the feeling that I might actually be an expert in the paranatural capable of dispelling curses... Kim was less certain though.

Both approaches are possible, they require different skill checks to work, and there may be things you can do to make these skill checks easier. The challenge is figuring out which approach works best for your cop, then doing it, and using your skill points strategically to reroll crucial white checks where you happened to roll badly, and for subsequent playthroughs, finding a build that can clear those obstacles more easily.

This is not like solving a puzzle in an adventure game (or a conventional RPG with a puzzle). It's much more dynamic. There isn't just one correct solution, there are several, and finding one that works for your build and your previous actions is not obvious. Moreover, the solutions can be various degrees of correct -- for example, just yesterday I solved a sidequest -- it got ticked off on my list and I got the XP and everything -- but I was very much left with the feeling that I missed out on something important; I intend to come back to it later to dig out what.

This isn't easy to describe and if you're already skeptical about what I'm saying it's unlikely that it'll impress you much if I tell you that yes, it does give the same kind of kicks as beating a combat encounter in a more conventional RPG, but... well, it does.

That sounds good to me, and if they managed to challenge player without conventional combat than its even better than your standard fare

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Do we have to quabble and bitch and fight even before the games release? It's disrespectful to Kasparov and all the contributing members of the games development. All this talk of labeling, ugh.

Can we just get back to discussing the actual game and its mechanics, systems, skills etc. from what we know.

Thanks in advance!

Prime Junta

That sounds good to me, and if they managed to challenge player without conventional combat than its even better than your standard fare

I got a kick when I first discovered the actual cause of death in the autopsy. And when I managed to get Cuno to crack. And when I managed to get the bookshop owner to let me into the back room. It was the kind of kick you get from succeeding in a challenge. (And yes, I had failed several times previously.)

Latro

Arcane
there's a difference between dice rolls in turn based combat and dice rolls in situations

What is that difference?

(Oh, and. There are tabletop RPGs with no combat. Are they RPGs? If not, what are they?)
pen and paper role-playing games, which disco elysium is not. this is a common tactic among decline enablers; that you should fall back onto PNP conventions. if DE had a real character creator, then maybe....but....

Latro

Arcane

I got a kick when I first discovered the actual cause of death in the autopsy. And when I managed to get Cuno to crack. And when I managed to get the bookshop owner to let me into the back room. It was the kind of kick you get from succeeding in a challenge. (And yes, I had failed several times previously.)
the kinda kick you get saving and reloading :/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom