Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - now available on PC

Sentinel

Arcane
Actualy RDR 2 is the worst R* game so far.

You don't like pressing x on horseback and listening to overwrought dialogue for 40 hours?

That's the game in a nutshell, ride with horse from A to B, watch cutscene, rinse repeat
That's every game in a nutshell. Go here, do this, rinse and repeat.

Sentinel

Arcane
And as usual in Rockstar games there is a huge disconnect from story and the actual situation in the game. The main character and his friend keep complaining about money while you sit on 10k+.
This is explained in the story in Chapter 6. It's also a huge part of understanding Dutch.

Main problem with the game was how rail-roaded the missions were.
And this is just rockstar inconsistency. Some missions are disappointingly railroaded, like the oil factory sneaking one, but others let you do different stuff, like the getting micah out of jail one.

Last edited:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

You don't like pressing x on horseback and listening to overwrought dialogue for 40 hours?

That's the game in a nutshell, ride with horse from A to B, watch cutscene, rinse repeat

No, games usualy have some mechanics to keep gameplay interesting like leveling, character progression etc, there is nothing of that in RDR 2

sullynathan

Arcane
The main missions are weak in terms of gameplay but strong in terms of character writing and story. I suggest you ignore them as much as you can to focus on the open world which should be easy.

There was still 100 hours worth of content for me.

Sentinel

Arcane

No, games usualy have some mechanics to keep gameplay interesting like leveling, character progression etc, there is nothing of that in RDR 2
No, role-playing games do. Red Dead Redemption 2 isn't a role-playing game (although it could be turned into an amazing one with mods).

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

No, role-playing games do. Red Dead Redemption 2 isn't a role-playing game (although it could be turned into an amazing one with mods).

Not only rpgs, in phantom pain you build up your base, have recruits and there's plenty of stuff to blow up in the world, RDR 2 is empty and you just ride from mission to mission.

Morkar Left

Main problem with the game was how rail-roaded the missions were. Deviate even a little and you are met with a game over screen. Also trying to make money by doing side activities are utterly pointless, because you get a shit ton of money right from the beginning by doing a few main quests. It makes all the survival aspects of the game, like collecting pelts, robbing stores etc, totally pointless. And as usual in Rockstar games there is a huge disconnect from story and the actual situation in the game. The main character and his friends keep complaining about money while you sit on 10k+. Also there is no decisions to be made in the game. You can see bad things coming a mile away, and the main character even acknowledge it at times but he still keep trucking like nothing - in other words the main character is a pawn for the story and it gets frustrating to see after a while.

That sounds like the nutshell with all modern AAA open world games...

Sentinel

Arcane

Not only rpgs, in phantom pain you build up your base, have recruits and there's plenty of stuff to blow up in the world, RDR 2 is empty and you just ride from mission to mission.
And Phantom Pain is by far the worst MGS game to date, with the Mother Base feeling like tacked on busy work with no purpose whatsoever. There is no "plenty of stuff to blow up in the world", it's all very tiny camps with only 1 big area in both maps, with tons of collectible resources (to feed the MB grind) and useless tapes. MGS5's open world is repetitive, lifeless, and not much better than Ubisoft trash.

Sentinel

Arcane
This is explained in the story in Chapter 6. It's also a huge part of understanding Dutch.

I see, I have totally forgotten the reason why... was it because he wanted to start anew community somewhere?
No, he was hoarding and hiding money from the camp. Dutch had no intentions of letting everyone go their own merry way and settling down. All he wanted was people to feed his narcissistic ego, the "plan" was just an illusion to keep people around.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Also trying to make money by doing side activities are utterly pointless, because you get a shit ton of money right from the beginning by doing a few main quests. It makes all the survival aspects of the game, like collecting pelts, robbing stores etc, totally pointless.

Damn, I fucking hate when games do this. Give you tools without the need to use them. "We don't want to annoy players who don't wanna bother with survival elements." Then don't put them in at all ffs.

I was looking forward to RDR2 and now I'm not. I'll wait for a deep sale or snag a key from some shady reseller. No way I'm paying full price for this consolitis retardery.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Actual good "quest" design is a thing, even though people act like it isn't to defend mediocre games. Also bland "quests" can be overcome with great story, dialog choices and stuff like faction systems to make it more interesting. Rockstar traditionally have succeeded based on story/presentation that makes you forget the gameplay is kind of meh. No idea if they did here, will find out soon.

Insert Title Here
All in all I did enjoy the game and Arthur was a great protagonist. It did have its boring moments, the economy was broken and I did not care much for the hunting.

This might sound strange, but I also felt that on many of the main missions there were just way too many enemies to shoot. The best gunfight moments were the quick ones where there's only a few enemies, especially indoors. Methodically going through rooms with a shotgun and blasting people in the face felt amazing and looked pretty damn gruesome as well.

One great moment that came to mind was when I totally fell for that sobbing woman in the swamp. "Are you OK, lady?"

YldriE

Learned
Just a quick reminder that if you are waiting for the PC release and need a Western fix in the meantime, you might want to check out GUN.

It's sort of free-roaming, as in you can travel freely around the map for sidequests, but it's still a game that can be done in less than 4 hours (maybe 6 with sidequests) so it's easy to fit in-between other more meaty games. The graphics held up well, the OST is straight out of a 70s movie, and the gameplay is, at the very least, entertaining and serviceable for the short time you'll be playing. The plot is nothing special but still sports great cinematography and acting. A nice little one-shot Western story.

The PC version is 4:3 running at 30FPS. The ratio can be fixed, the framerate cannot. On the other hand, the GameCube version have native widescreen and 60FPS, plus ReShade works like a charm with Dolphin. You know what to do.

Sentinel

Arcane

Actual good "quest" design is a thing, even though people act like it isn't to defend mediocre games. Also bland "quests" can be overcome with great story, dialog choices and stuff like faction systems to make it more interesting. Rockstar traditionally have succeeded based on story/presentation that makes you forget the gameplay is kind of meh. No idea if they did here, will find out soon.
What is good "quest" design in the context of a Rockstar game?

Sentinel

Arcane
Just a quick reminder that if you are waiting for the PC release and need a Western fix in the meantime, you might want to check out GUN.

It's sort of free-roaming, as in you can travel freely around the map for sidequests, but it's still a game that can be done in less than 4 hours (maybe 6 with sidequests) so it's easy to fit in-between other more meaty games. The graphics held up well, the OST is straight out of a 70s movie, and the gameplay is, at the very least, entertaining and serviceable for the short time you'll be playing. The plot is nothing special but still sports great cinematography and acting. A nice little one-shot Western story.

The PC version is 4:3 running at 30FPS. The ratio can be fixed, the framerate cannot. On the other hand, the GameCube version have native widescreen and 60FPS, plus ReShade works like a charm with Dolphin. You know what to do.
Or Outlaws. It still plays superbly 20 years later.

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
Something from San Andreas
Also trying to make money by doing side activities are utterly pointless, because you get a shit ton of money right from the beginning by doing a few main quests. It makes all the survival aspects of the game, like collecting pelts, robbing stores etc, totally pointless.

Damn, I fucking hate when games do this. Give you tools without the need to use them. "We don't want to annoy players who don't wanna bother with survival elements." Then don't put them in at all ffs.

I was looking forward to RDR2 and now I'm not. I'll wait for a deep sale or snag a key from some shady reseller. No way I'm paying full price for this consolitis retardery.
eh you need pelts to upgrade your items and the camp, until the last act where you can't upgrade the camp anymore. Plus hunting is fun anyway.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Something that isn't "go here and kill these dudes." Something with more to it, like an investigative element, a unique gameplay aspect or interesting faction choice to make. I wasn't talking about Rockstar games specifically, to be obvious, just refuting the idea that "ever game is just go here and kill dudes LOL."

Sentinel

Arcane

Something that isn't "go here and kill these dudes." Something with more to it, like an investigative element, a unique gameplay aspect or interesting faction choice to make. I wasn't talking about Rockstar games specifically, to be obvious, just refuting the idea that "ever game is just go here and kill dudes LOL."
Then you replied to the wrong person. I wasn't the one doing ridiculous reductionism. I was mocking someone who was.

cruel

Cipher
Got this game with my PS4 Pro and sold it after 8h or so. Boring as f#ck, terrible controls, basic animations taking forever. Be careful before buying.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom