Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail - Serbian pillow talk, turning Tricks, taking tips

Blackmill

Scholar
Any ideas, suggestions?

The metal armor brings some challenges.

- Metal armor isn't that great early in the game. We're talking ~35% damage resistance on what you can buy at the Junkyard. A lot of incoming damage won't be too affected and with 3 CON you will still die easily.

- Making your own, high quality metal armor probably means waiting until you can complete the Beast quest in Foundry. Planning your build to do this earlier than later would be good. An energy emitter sword (or better, spear) is really useful against the Bladelings. Crawler poison caltrops, plasma grenades, and toxic gas grenades are also very useful.

- Frankly, metal armor is best for AR builds and Tranquility Psi, since mobility matters less. But swords care a lot about mobility, because Flurry is so AP efficient, getting in close combat range of enemies is the major damage bottlekneck.

- I don't know if you're set on a particular Oligarch, but I would recommend CoreTech for the energy edge emitters and shock generators. Hana (Institute) and Fraser (Protectorate) are like better versions of the Praetorian merchant.

Edit: There are 130 lockpicking checks in Expedition that don't benefit from HuxKey or similar items. But currently I don't believe you can pass these checks without turning a major city hostile...

Tigranes

Arcane
Most people are perfectly fine with 100 lockpick (or even 90 then using upgraded lockpicks), and I would say 110 hacking for expeditions to make sure you can use the hacking 'solution' in every ruin. 130/130 seems overkill to me.

Go stealth with all those spare points - it will save you so much pointless annoyance in expeditions & is generally QOL.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Edit: There are 130 lockpicking checks in Expedition that don't benefit from HuxKey or similar items. But currently I don't believe you can pass these checks without turning a major city hostile...

Where exactly and what is inside?

Blackmill

Scholar

Where exactly and what is inside?

The jet skis in Ray's Shop require up to 130 Lockpicking to hotwire. And hotwiring provides no bonus to Lockpicking (you use a vehicle hotwiring kit and not a HuxKey or Lockpick). It's pointless, though, because I'm pretty sure Styg has made it impossible to actually get away with the jet ski. Unless you want to turn all of Core City hostile. I spent forever trying, and was able to do so without being seen by any NPCs or cameras, but it didn't work. From testing, it seems that crossing a certain tile automatically alerts every one no matter what...

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
What's the difference between three shot shell types? Is it simply progression from weak to stronger or buckshots and other types of damage? The popup description is too cryptic for me.

ciox

Liturgist
What's the difference between three shot shell types? Is it simply progression from weak to stronger or buckshots and other types of damage? The popup description is too cryptic for me.
They are a gradient from high damage and low armor penetration, to medium damage and high armor penetration.

I started recently playing this and I made a poor msg/assault rifle character (I did not read any guides). I was wondering what are they key differences between tactical vest/metal armor and riot gear. I can make them but I wonder what are the main benefits of each. My str is 8 atm so but I could up it to 9 come next level to get the most out of metal armor. I'd imagine tactical vest is the way to go against bullets tho?

just

Liturgist
I started recently playing this and I made a poor msg/assault rifle character (I did not read any guides). I was wondering what are they key differences between tactical vest/metal armor and riot gear. I can make them but I wonder what are the main benefits of each. My str is 8 atm so but I could up it to 9 come next level to get the most out of metal armor. I'd imagine tactical vest is the way to go against bullets tho?
-leather armors are for dirty cave wizards, knife wielders and other sneaky bastards.
-tactical vests are for weaklings who can't wear metal armor and don't want to be associated with any of the above mentioned groups. putting metal plates in doesn't make you any better.
-riot gear with shield is for special snowflakes who want to roleplay as achilles or random cave knights. only good for the nice looking sprites.
-metal armor is used by real men and the correct way to play the game. bonus points if you go full tungsten.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm in the expansion first areas and I found some shotguns for sale. What is their tactical usage, in what situations are they useful?

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm in the expansion first areas and I found some shotguns for sale. What is their tactical usage, in what situations are they useful?
If you're playing a full AR build, it could be useful to take a point in Barrel Stare or Sixth Shell to blow away the tougher creeps that manage to get close to you. It has a nice cone which can be used to finish off multiple low health enemies that have managed to get close.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
My style kind of evolved from assault to sniper rifles + grenades and traps. I didn't plan my build very meticulously and tried to roleplay it within reason. I use a sniper rifle, attack from stealth and use the AR for enemies who get closer because I can get multiple shots per turn with it.

hello friend

Arcane
True chads wear nothing but Rathound Regalia from start to finish.
I've almost finished my first run through the game (no expansion) going full psyker and been wearing rathound threads most of the game + ninja tabi. Nimble + Blitz + Evasive Action. Boxing gloves for a while, after a while swapped for +1str gloves for more carry capacity. Evasion is over 550 with evasive action, I wonder how high it could go if I'd gotten sprint.

Tigranes

Arcane
Underrail can give you a deceptive impression that the item progression is very long and multi-stage, because you seem to find delicious and strange things wherever you go. Whereas the game is mostly about (1) early don't-got-shit scavenging stage, (2) actually got my favoured equipment and shields and shit, (3) late game maxcrafted ubergear perhaps.

I don't think it's a bad thing, really, though once you know what you're doing, 99% of found loot and shop items become not even worth hovering your cursor over.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Underrail can give you a deceptive impression that the item progression is very long and multi-stage, because you seem to find delicious and strange things wherever you go. Whereas the game is mostly about (1) early don't-got-shit scavenging stage, (2) actually got my favoured equipment and shields and shit, (3) late game maxcrafted ubergear perhaps.

I don't think it's a bad thing, really, though once you know what you're doing, 99% of found loot and shop items become not even worth hovering your cursor over.
On normal it's a lot more fluid, if you have a decent build there's enough wiggle room to fuck around within that build using shit you find all through the game.
That's why it's great.
Post that exact same comment in the AoD forum; I'll tear u a new one.

AwesomeButton

Patron
On normal it's a lot more fluid, if you have a decent build there's enough wiggle room to fuck around within that build using shit you find all through the game.
That's why it's great.
Post that exact same comment in the AoD forum; I'll tear u a new one.
I really like Normal difficulty. If some area is too hard for me to fight through I can fall back on stealth and it's equally fun. I also have to get inventive with tools I have - Night vision, lockpicks, food buffs, traps, etc.

Trashos

Arcane
Back when I had started playing Underrail, Hard difficulty had better AI than Normal. My 1st playthrough was on Normal, my 2nd on Hard, and the difference was noticeable (eg, gunners shooting at you and then hiding). I don't know whether Normal AI has been upgraded since then.

In addition, you can't spam healing on Hard, so you really need to step up your game.

I do recommend migrating to Hard after one has finished the game at least once. Now, Dominating is a different matter.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I'm positive it's more than 2 turns, but I'll need to check next time to say how many exactly.

It's 6 turns on normal and 12 on hard. I have no idea why since 6 turns is already incredibly long so you'll barely ever get to heal more than once in a fight even on normal. All the 12 turn cooldown does is make it so it takes longer to heal once fights are over, and that's boring, not difficult. At least you can still spam bandages.

ciox

Liturgist
Moving to Hard after your first run or two is a good idea, otherwise you just miss out on a lot of stuff like more enemy variety and more challenging encounters in general, you still have Classic XP as a difficulty modifier if you are playing a goofy build.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom