Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What language should an RPG be written in first?

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Let's say you're a non-English studio and you have two options to write an RPG script, dialogues, etc. Either in native non-English, followed by a translation, or in mediocre quality native (since quality English speaking writers are almost all first-worlders).

Translation problems:
A technical translation of a beautiful book loses roughly 30-40% of its meaning and most of its style. And most translators are technical ones.

A writer-translator could transpose your text into another language, and although it would be quite different from the original material, it could be extremely good. He'd basically be rewriting your stuff in his language, as a standalone writer. The result should be a standalone work of art.

Here's some examples, each representing a different outcome.

1) Sometimes the translation is so bad, it's offensive.
It's from Notre Dame de Paris (the musical). Very beautiful in French. Absolute trash in English.

When Frollo sings:
Ô Notre-Dame! Oh laisse moi rien qu'une fois
Pousser la porte du jardin d'Esméralda

He begs God to let him "push the door of Esmeralda's garden", meaning he wants to deflower her. He's too ashamed of it (being a celibate priest), so he lets himself say it only in this seemingly non-erotic way (slipping in a religious theme of the garden), and yet the idea here is fully sexually charged at the same time. It represents him being torn between his life as a priest and his raw sexual desire for her. Multiple layers of meaning in one simple phrase.

In the English version he sings:
O Notre Dame, please let me go beyond God's law
Open the door of love inside Esmeralda

^ doesn't necessarily mean anything sexual, maybe he talks about the door to her heart. The focus is on the illicitness of such relationship (rational thinking), not on passion and pain like in the source material. Boring, bad, utter failure of a translation.

And mind you, they obviously had a huge budget and wanted to get it right. They just couldn't. Because this isn't easy.

---------------------------------------------------------

2) In this case, the translation is better than the original. Louis Aragon wrote:
L'enfer existe
II est la part du plus grand nombre
L'enfer existe
II est ce paysage fou
La résignation des visages à l'ombre
L'espoir tenu pour crime et la vie à genoux

^ Aragon was a communist poet. In this passage he's lamenting the worker's condition, but it reeks of resignation.

But in Russian, holy hell:
Да, существует ад! И в нем живут мильоны.
Да, существует ад! Его свидетель ты.
Ад — это труженик коленопреклоненный,
Смиренные черты, запретные мечты.

The RED idea is suddenly piercing, there's anger here, the language is simple and cuts to the chase. Perfect for the proletariat. It's like a call to arms! The words are more or less the same, but the wording is hugely different, and so is the result. I love the translation much more.

---------------------------------------------------------

3) Other times it can't possibly be translated, e.g. "La Légende des siècles" by Hugo, especially the magnificent "La conscience". There's been some attempts to translate parts of La Légende, but they were extremely poor and people stopped trying. They realized that it was impossible.

« L'oeil a-t-il disparu? » dit en tremblant Tsilla.
Et Caïn répondit: « Non, il est toujours là. »
Alors il dit: « je veux habiter sous la terre
Comme dans son sépulcre un homme solitaire ;
Rien ne me verra plus, je ne verrai plus rien. »
On fit donc une fosse, et Caïn dit « C'est bien ! »
Puis il descendit seul sous cette voûte sombre.
Quand il se fut assis sur sa chaise dans l'ombre
Et qu'on eut sur son front fermé le souterrain,
L'oeil était dans la tombe et regardait Caïn.

It's powerful, it has a twist at the end, it plays on biblical words, and it's simply genius.

--------------------------

In GameDev, the only time I remember the translation being brilliant was in the Dark Souls series.

The narrative here is environmental, meaning you get scattered pieces of information from item descriptions or from someone talking nonsense here and there, and you try to piece it together. You'd think something like this is impossible to translate well. And yet the result was impeccable. On top of it, the translators came up with a style that submerged you into the atmosphere.
A character tells you: "Return from whence thou cam'st, for that is thy place of belonging". I know this isn't real old English, but it's a style that works extremely well for the game.

Another example of a fake style that does wonders can be found in Spartacus. A show with gratuitous sex and combat scenes. And yet they stylized English to sound like Latin, which was amazing. "Turn desire to piss and shit, and see yourself well satisfied", "You kiss my cheek, only to finger my ass?", "They give us swords absent edge", "Once again the gods spread the cheeks and ram cock in fucking ass!".
It's stylized as Latin speech ("swords absent edge"), it uses latin-sounding vulgarity and references gods all the time. Perfect job.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the subject, if you have any.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Off the top of my head, I'd say the writing should be in a language which the whole writing team feels comfortable with. That's during development. Then, your target audience will most probably be predominantly English-speaking, so if the first condition is met - your team feels comfortable with English - you should start with English from the beginning. I can't think of a good reason not to start with English, unless your target audience is Chinese.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I can't think of a good reason not to start with Englihs
Like I said, we're talking about a foreign indie studio and consequent budgetary restraints.
Option 1: You start in English and give it to an editor later.
Option 2: You start in your native language which you will feel more comfortable with, and then you translate it (pay for that) and give it to an editor again.

Funposter

Arcane
Release game in native language first, hope it makes money. Use revenue to hire a writer-translator, but have the original writer (or the team member most proficient in English) oversee the translation. Curious that you gave the example of JarlFrank's work on a German product, since I'd imagine German->English is probably the easiest (or at least most straightforward) translation that can take place for the case you've described. Of course meaning and subtlety will be lost in more poetic language, so it's up to a writer to either reinvigorate the verse, or use their own judgement to decide whether it's better for certain pieces of writing to remain literal, if uninspiring.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Like I said, we're talking about a foreign indie studio and consequent budgetary restraints.
Option 2: You start in your native language which you will feel more comfortable with, and then you translate it (pay for that) and give it to an editor again.
Yes, I discussed the pros and cons of each of those options in the OP post. Thanks for the participation. Here's your award.
participationtrophy.png

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Native, because actual "writing quality" is irrelevant, what we want is interesting and coherent narrative as well as character design.

A game is not a song or a poem.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Curious that you gave the example of JarlFrank's work on a German product, since I'd imagine German->English is probably the easiest (or at least most straightforward) translation that can take place for the case you've described.
Well, maybe Jarl is just shit at his job. Probably. Sorry Jarl.

I don't speak German, but the fact that I enjoyed Faust's translation makes me think you're probably right.

I’ll be your servant here, and I’ll
Not stop or rest, at your decree:
When we’re together, on the other side,
You’ll do the same for me.

^ fun stuff

I am too old to be content with play,
Too young to be without desire.
What can the world afford me now?
Thou shalt renounce! Renounce shalt thou!
That is the never-ending song
Which in the ears of all is ringing,
Which always, through our whole life long,
Hour after hour is hoarsely singing.

^... midlife crisis in a nutshell

As translations go, these passages sound very well done.

Last edited:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Native, because actual "writing quality" is irrelevant, what we want is interesting and coherent narrative as well as character design.
After enjoying good quality writing, I find it impossible to enjoy books with shitty writing. I find bad passages and my mind feels some sort of pain. They also distract a lot.

Funposter

Arcane
Curious that you gave the example of JarlFrank's work on a German product, since I'd imagine German->English is probably the easiest (or at least most straightforward) translation that can take place for the case you've described.
Well, maybe Jarl is just shit at his job. Probably. Sorry Jarl.

I don't speak German, but the fact that I enjoyed Faust's translation makes me think you're probably right.

I’ll be your servant here, and I’ll
Not stop or rest, at your decree:
When we’re together, on the other side,
You’ll do the same for me.

^ devilishly fun stuff

I am too old to be content with play,
Too young to be without desire.
What can the world afford me now?
Thou shalt renounce! Renounce shalt thou!
That is the never-ending song
Which in the ears of all is ringing,
Which always, through our whole life long,
Hour after hour is hoarsely singing.

^... midlife crisis in a nutshell

As translations go, these passages sound very well done.

My knowledge of it is pretty limited (I did some stuff on duolingo for a few months), but the two are in the same language family, English owes about 25% of its words to Germanic languages, and I believe it's the similarity in grammatical structure which leads German and Afrikaans to being the best translated languages using Google Translate. Not that Google Translate is any good, but it's quite interesting.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Better to hire someone full time and hope the end product won't have an irritating amount of spelling errors and strange wording. I think it's most you can do given the budget constraint in a situation like that.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I wrote in English from the start, not in German. The translation to German was actually done by another guy :D

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'd assume that writing in another language thats not your native language will always be problematic because no matter the proficiency you'll always lack a certain element of language awareness or nuance that a native writer will intrinsically have.

On the other hand, translation is a really tough job and then you'll have to rely on the proficiency and competence of yet another person which introduces just as many issues or perhaps even more as if you would have written in your second language right away.

There is no real ideal solution but it seems that if you have a really high proficiency in your target language and feel very comfortable in it you might as well write in that, even though you better find a native speaking editor if you do that.

Last edited:

buffalo bill

Arcane
first order predicate logic (probably with predicates specifying coordinates in planar geometry) & set theory to construct a rule system (same language you would use to write chess)
(also good would be a programming language)

AwesomeButton

Patron
Yes, I discussed the pros and cons of each of those options in the OP post. Thanks for the participation. Here's your award.
participationtrophy.png
You asked a question, I told you my answer. English first. After all, you are making this game to sell it.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, it obviously should be English, if the writers feel comfortable enough with that. And then have an editor look it over.
If not, whatever the native language is and then translate. And then have an editor look it over.

Editor is optional if your writer is English fluent & really damn good, but the good ones probably insist that someone should read it over anyway, so...

The reason is pure business, really. If your English sucks, even a good editor will have a hard time, so it is more likely that native -> English produces better results.
Of course, that also introduces another layer that could "break" (as in, produce subpar results) in the translator.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Option 3: Maybe you should not start as long as you ask stupid questions.

Citizen

If your RPG's plot is more intricate then a party of adventurers beating the shit out of skellingtonz in the dungeon, or god forbid you consider hiring a "writer" for it, better switch to making visual novels

thesecret1

Arcane
Option 1. Hire an English native speaker writer, but of very dubious quality. Because they live in first world countries, good writers are more expensive. And if they were great, they'd be published already, presumably.
Literature has been in a massive decline for a while now. Getting published is more a matter of having the right connections than being actually skilled at it. A decent writer should have some works under his belt, but not necessarily have a publisher. He could, for example, self-publish on the internet or similar. You should get a feel of a writer's capabilities by reading his recent works.

Hire a non-English writer, pay him less, but in his country that's a lot of money, so he'll be dedicated to you full time, and he's probably going to be of better quality. The only problem is that languages of different groups translate poorly into each other.
Then hire one who is fluent in English as well, and have him write the game twice - once in English, once in your native language. It will be of higher quality than giving it to a translator, as the author will know the precise intent of each line and will know where he can take liberties and where he can't and so on. Or just have him write the whole thing in English in the first place.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom