Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - now available on PC

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

JDR13

Arcane
Played a little of the first game and thought it was decent. Never understood the overwhelming popularity though.

Paul_cz

Arcane
RDR2 is made of two parts:

1) Linear playable TV series with insane production values and high quality writing (main quest)
2) Open Old West simulation (the open world exploration and sidemissions)

They somewhat clash on occasion, but nothing too bad. Both are of higher standard than nearly everything else in the industry. And I would say even across mediums. I have seen metric shitloads of westerns but I don't think I have ever enjoyed a protagonist as much as I have Arthur.

Swigen

Arbiter
Would’ve been a 10 outta 10 for me if you could just get prostitutes. Such fuckin’ horse shit that the only waifu you get is that twat that just keeps asking you to do stuff for her.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I absolutely loved it on ps4, and it was one of the few games I have ever played where I intentionally slowed down and started fucking about the map just to avoid finishing the story and ending the game, because it was just that good.

Must buy on pc for anyone who didn't play it... Now if only Rockstar weren't such cunts and made some actual single player content.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Console players don't get a lot of options. They have to hype everything that gets shat their way.
I enjoy shitting on console gamers as much as anyone, but in this case the hype is warranted. I can't wait to replay it on my master racist 2080Ti powered PC.

Well, gonna bring up the obvious: this game could be improved a lot with mods from what I hear. Combat improvements, animation improvements, mechanics, etc.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Will it have mod support? Or fans will just have to find a way like they did with the previous games?
I don't remember Rockstar supporting mods, let alone today.

Will it have mod support? Or fans will just have to find a way like they did with the previous games?
I don't remember Rockstar supporting mods, let alone today.
Officially, no. But that didn't stop the makers of mods for GTA IV and V. They basically reverse-engineered parts of the engine from what I've been told in order to get mods and private servers working. Rockstar will ban you. But who gives a shit. The most rewarding multiplayer experiences are from private servers and the single player game doesn't connect to a server.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Rockstar will ban you. But who gives a shit. The most rewarding multiplayer experiences are from private servers and the single player game doesn't connect to a server.

Yeah, modding an MP game, also called hacking. Obviously any dev will ban you if you play a hacked MP game, duh.

OFc if Rockstar banned your account for modding your SP game, that would be super fucked up.

Sentinel

Arcane
Rockstar sees mods as a way to force you to buy their game repeatedly, because they ban you for using them.
Wrong. Rockstar will only ban you if your mods interfere with online (basically, hacks). Private servers are allowed. One of the recent resurgences of GTA V was due to a Roleplaying Mod that ran on a private server.

Rockstar urges Take-Two to ease off on Grand Theft Auto modders
A popular modding tool may come back from the brink

By Thomas Biery Jun 23, 2017, 6:00pm EDTShare this on Facebook
gtav02272015_13.0.0.jpg

Grand Theft Auto 5
Rockstar has issued a statement through its support knowledge base solidifying their support for user-created mods of its games.

“Rockstar Games believes in reasonable fan creativity, and, in particular, wants creators to showcase their passion for our games,” the post begins. “After discussions with Take-Two, Take-Two has agreed that it generally will not take legal action against third-party projects involving Rockstar’s PC games that are single-player, non-commercial, and respect the intellectual property (IP) rights of third parties.”

This statement seems to be a response to the Grand Theft Auto 5 community’s intense negative reaction to publisher Take-Two Interactive’s cease-and-desist order against the creator of OpenIV, a long-standing modding tool for Grand Theft Auto 4, Grand Theft Auto 5and Max Payne 3. Rockstar Games said that Take-Two’s decision was based on the fact that “OpenIV enables recent malicious mods that allow harassment of players and interfere with the GTA Online experience for everybody.”

In the wake of Take-Two’s order, Steam users hammered Grand Theft Auto 5’s store pagewith negative reviews, plummeting it to “Overwhelmingly Negative” status.

One caveat to this new agreement between Rockstar and Take-Two is that it does not apply to mods that affect online multiplayer, which was the reason given for the order against OpenIV. Another exception is made against the “use or importation of other IP (including other Rockstar IP),” which does not bode well for canceled fan-developed remakes like Red Dead Redemption V.

Rockstar has confirmed that it has reached out to OpenIV’s developer Yuriy "Good-NDS" Krivoruchko in an attempt to resolve this dispute.
OpenIV was brought back.

Rockstar will ban you. But who gives a shit. The most rewarding multiplayer experiences are from private servers and the single player game doesn't connect to a server.

Yeah, modding an MP game, also called hacking. Obviously any dev will ban you if you play a hacked MP game, duh.

OFc if Rockstar banned your account for modding your SP game, that would be super fucked up.
Most private servers use modded versions of GTA V. You're not "hacking". You're not doing anything that would interfere with Rockstar's own service. But Rockstar have banned people for using single player mods in their single player game. Unless you're a complete corporate cuck then nothing objectionable is happening from just modding Iron Man into your single player game. Or going on a private server to do Cops vs Robbers.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
RDR2 is made of two parts:

1) Linear playable TV series with insane production values and high quality writing (main quest)
2) Open Old West simulation (the open world exploration and sidemissions)

They somewhat clash on occasion, but nothing too bad. Both are of higher standard than nearly everything else in the industry. And I would say even across mediums. I have seen metric shitloads of westerns but I don't think I have ever enjoyed a protagonist as much as I have Arthur.

No excuse me dude, you can't give the player a higly unrestrictive level of freedom and then completely take it away and force the player down a very specific script, and say that the game doesn't suffer greatly from that.

Specially when they take it away in the moments where applying that creativity should be encouraged (the main missions). I mean this would be like if in Deus Ex during missions there were no multiple ways to solve a problem in accordance with your build, and instead you're forced down a linear path, like in CoD title, but then while you explored the streets of New York you could do whatever you want.

Either your game is about emergent gameplay or it's about scripted setpieces. You can't be constantly jumping from one to the other in hopes of pleasing everyone. Even Nintendo, of all companies knows this for crying out loud.

PrettyDeadman

Why would anyone play this shit game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom