Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

the_shadow

Arcane
Still no shopping cart, I see.

How to know someone is retarded ?
He asks for shopping cart while buying digital goods.

So instead of one transaction to buy three games, you prefer three transactions to buy three games.

Such a hard life. Don't worry, I'm sure they will bring a cart feature in eventually and eliminate another of your one-percenter problems.

Then continue buying games on STEAM if you don't like the EGS, problem solved. Although people complain about STEAM as well, and even GoG. Then they'll complain when there is a new alternative like EGS. Consumers like this have an extreme case of cognitive dissonance and are never happy.

Those evil consumers, curse them! Protect us from those horrible consumers Lord Sweeney!

Reinhardt

Arcane
you'd cut off your nose to spite your face by remaining loyal to a distribution platform that gamers have complained about endlessly in the past.
Nigga, boycotting epic costs me nothing. They still have zero games i care enough to even pirate.

And i don't even need shopping cart for this!

lefthandblack

Arcane
I am not retarded to buy multiple games for them to lie down in library not played.
So you don't take advantage of sales then? You must be one of those guys who insists on buying games at full price to sUpOrt teH DeVelaPaRs!

Secondly almost every clinet out there support one click buy (or with ccv code) so that is not an issue to begin with.
Yeah, just store that shit on their servers. What could possibly go wrong?

Third even if you have to input all cc details for every game this still is about minute or two which is nothing.
Yeah, except for triggering the CC fraud algorithim which just got more retarded thanks to eurofaggotry.

lefthandblack

Arcane
Such a hard life. Don't worry, I'm sure they will bring a cart feature in eventually and eliminate another of your one-percenter problems.

Another one who discounts sales (heh). Thanks for acknowledging one of your betters though, that's rare these days.
I don't even use epic and never will so it doesn't affect me, I just have trouble ignoring retardation.

Maybe I should have been a Mental Health Professional?

the_shadow

Arcane

Another one who discounts sales (heh).

Nope, I just don't make mountains out of molehills. If needing to enter your credit card details a few extra times is enough to turn you off a a digital platform, even when they have heavily discounted products, then you really are a snowflake.

Sukhāvatī

a.k.a. Mañjuśṛī
Patron
The remaster of Ghostbusters (2009) is Epic exclusive and out today; unfortunately the Steam version was removed a couple of years ago. Generally considered to be the actual Ghostbusters 3, as it had all the cast and was actually pretty well written, with script doctoring by Ackroyd and Ramis.

Also out on Xbone, PS4, and Switch.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The remaster of Ghostbusters (2009) is Epic exclusive and out today; unfortunately the Steam version was removed a couple of years ago. Generally considered to be the actual Ghostbusters 3, as it had all the cast and was actually pretty well written, with script doctoring by Ackroyd and Ramis.

Also out on Xbone, PS4, and Switch.
Thankfully I bought it earlier on Steam.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I bought it retail, and it comes with a nasty bug in the installer so that you have to install it manually from the disc.

A remaster of the game is nice, but not any reason for me to sign up for EGS.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

I own the Steam version so we'll see how much the remaster improves. I remember hating the KBM controls in that game, which really turned me off it in general. If I recall correctly the aiming felt like utter dogshit with a mouse with no way to fix it.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
RDR2 will be a one month epic exclusive before coming to steam. it will be available on rockstar launcher the same time as epic

first they had 1 year exclusives, then with blands 3 they moved to 6 months. now they are at 1 month. decline = incline

Drakron

Arcane
RDR2 will be a one month epic exclusive before coming to steam. it will be available on rockstar launcher the same time as epic

first they had 1 year exclusives, then with blands 3 they moved to 6 months. now they are at 1 month. decline = incline

I am sure its more about Red Dead Online that anything else really, EGS doesnt have the amount of people that would buy Gold Bars since thats were RDR2 is really making money from, just like GTAV with Shark Cards.
I am only surprised they are even giving some exclusivity to EGS, question is Humble and GMG will be EGS or Rockstar Shitty Club keys? Either way thanks to Epic we now have the streaming wars on PC gaming ... maybe Steam will follow the path of Netflix but Epic will follow then close behind ...

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It'll likely force the Rockstar launcher wherever you buy it, so might as well buy it directly from them.

ultimanecat

Arcane
Yeah, it seems like it’s not an EGS/Rockstar exclusive so much as it’s “anti-exclusive” to Steam for a month. Not sure if it’s Epic throwing cash around or Rockstar wanting to keep those early adopters off of Steam where they have to share purchases of in-game currency with Valve. Back in the day that was EA’s primary goal with Origin - they didn’t care so much about game sales but they didn’t want to share revenue from DLC and in-game purchases with Valve, which was something they required if you sold it through their store.

Dexter

Arcane
Why did Timmy Tencent manifest a mild form of tard rage on Twatter over an IGN article of all things pointing out the obvious?

EGS6ReNXYAAt7KF.jpg:large

Last edited:

Thane Solus

Arcane
Steam is probably the only store that does something to deserve the 30%.

Was, these days, maybe 15 to 20% max. As developer if you dont receive at least some decent traffic base from a fair algoritm, it doesn't really matter. The rest of features are useless.

For example humblebundle widget, it gives you 90%. For that it provides with the tools to manage ur builds, upload keys, library for user downloads and stats. No traffic!

Steam gives u some traffic on launch, but without huge PR and/or a 30-50k wish lists, low chance to get anything out of it, and now with the latest algorithm, it basically killed indies, that are under 10k to 30k copies sold. So why give 30% then? Well cause fuck you!

As a user Steam its ok, i use it, not so much, since i despise always online crap so i play offline. As indie developer if you are one, without much back/investments, you will hate Steam and their incompetence (lack of curation, adding algorithms without proper tests, that can cut your income by 70% for some months, etc).

So these days instead of adding proper curation, they added an algorithm with the title "helping indies!" ay lmao ! that basically destroyed the sales, wishlists by 70-90% for almost all indie games without huge marketing under 10k-30k sales. Steam is great!

The future for a few indies that will survive, is either sell big on steam by luck/skill and PR, or build slowly and smartly a community on your site, and use these stupid stores as secondary or tertiary income. Good games that did that, but its quite hard: Starsector, Rimworld and others.

Meh...

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
I would support Steam enslaving developers and forcing them to work inside tiny cages tbh.
This is what they deserve for shit like DRM, preorder bonuses, and day zero DLC.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
As indie developer if you are one, without much back/investments, you will hate Steam and their incompetence (lack of curation, adding algorithms without proper tests, that can cut your income by 70% for some months, etc).

I don't know, Vault Dweller sure has remained adamant in not shitting on Steam.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom