Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

ultimanecat

Arcane
For the most part, the insanely expensive weapons and equipment aren’t even particularly useful for the base single-player content anyway. Obviously they’re better and some give you a few silly options but there’s nothing in the game that calls for using them. You can easily blow through the game just by playing a mix of missions and side-ops normally and developing a few things in each category that look interesting to you.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fuck, never have to go back up back down again, finally. It's probably the most fun mission first time around though.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fuck, never have to go back up back down again, finally. It's probably the most fun mission first time around though.
Who the fuck came up with the Reflex mode though? It's more broken than a china shop after a stampede.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Who the fuck came up with the Reflex mode though? It's more broken than a china shop after a stampede.
Turn it off as fast as you can. It's such a stupid shit.
Dude I finished the S ranking without it. I have turned it on now to finish if the remaining objectives and crap with all the tools at my disposal.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Playing it first time, bought it for 12 bucks with the Ground Zeroes addon.

So far I'm having a fucking blast. The only thing that's annoying me is the rating logic - if you actually play this stealth game slowly and stealthily you'll get slapped a C rating at best. Bu if you storm a base in your helo and just gattling everything into a red mist you'll get a big golden S since this game puts time above all other criteria.

Playing it first time, bought it for 12 bucks with the Ground Zeroes addon.

So far I'm having a fucking blast. The only thing that's annoying me is the rating logic - if you actually play this stealth game slowly and stealthily you'll get slapped a C rating at best. Bu if you storm a base in your helo and just gattling everything into a red mist you'll get a big golden S since this game puts time above all other criteria.

S-ranks are honestly just not that hard to get. If you get the perfect stealth bonus or do all objectives you are highly likely to get it. Do both and you can have hour long missions and still get S. I can attest to this on the mission where the 4 Russians meet, just seeing D-Dog spooked a soldier and they called off the whole thing running to the ends of the map.

Perfect stealth has pretty loose requirements, you just can't raise the general alarm. Plenty of soldiers can go missing or spot you so long as they don't get the few seconds to raise the alarm, and you can use grenades and stuff as much as you please. Dousing an outpost in smoke grenades and just running in to do your job works fine and gets you fast times + perfect stealth. Or blow some C4 up on the other side of camp to use as a distraction.

Last edited:

ultimanecat

Arcane
Christ I had never played any of these event missions on my first playthrough. Don’t care much about FOB stuff in the first place but I made about 6 mil GMP off a single infiltration of the event base. Been playing with increased difficulty so much that crawling around with vanilla settings made it pretty easy too. So yeah, that’s an option for easy money.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Did an "interesting" mission. The one where you have to destroy a bunch of armored vehicles in about 13 minutes, all over a gigantic map. While doing a bunch of other optional tasks. One of them is "extract 6 prisoners". What they don't tell you is those prisoners are a) time limited since some of them are chased by search parties and promptly killed, b) located in hidden canyons and river beds and c) randomly roaming about them so even if you watch a video or read a guide you'll never find them in the same place.

I spent like 2 hours trying to find those fucking retards and do all the tasks, especially because there are no checkpoints so if you panic, want to do something quickly and got two-shotted by a cannon you start from scratch.

Also is there a mod that removes the time creteria for the ranking? It's really annoying to know that the only guaranteed way to S rank a mission is to bumrush it in a tank, blast everything into smithereens and fuck off as fast as possible. Goes so much against everything the game is about I don't even. That's a common problem with famous developers like Kojima - noone dares to tell you some of your design decisions are retarded.

Even so it's one of the best games I've ever played and I never say this lightly.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
I spent like 2 hours trying to do all the tasks, especially because there are no checkpoints so if you panic, want to do something quickly and got two-shotted by a cannon you do everything from scratch
It becomes much more manageable when you show up with better gear. Really, save completing all the tasks for later.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I spent like 2 hours trying to do all the tasks, especially because there are no checkpoints so if you panic, want to do something quickly and got two-shotted by a cannon you do everything from scratch
It becomes much more manageable when you show up with better gear. Really, save completing all the tasks for later.
What better gear tho? I have fully upgraded fulton and a rocket launcher that two-shots the APCs. With this mission the problem wasn't the gear, it was finding the prisoners, mostly. Although once I realized only two are time-sensitive and you can sort out the rest after the time runs out it became a breeze.

If you have D-Dog with you he marks every human within like 300 feet, you should easily find most of them that are in the wilderness just by running around. Prisoners held in camps can be found by interrogating soldiers at those camps. None of them randomly roam, they follow a set path.

I have fully upgraded fulton and a rocket launcher that two-shots the APCs
CGM 25 takes them out in one.

Isn't one of the objectives to extract most of the vehicles anyway? Just park your horse in the road, sneak up and bag 'em. Or use the mine that stuns them if you want to be lame. You have enough ammo to shoot the few you are allowed to assuming you pick up the weapon being transported.

My strat for that mission was:
- immediately take out the 4 guards chasing the prisoner (I ran through them all from behind with the horse, stunning them and then extracting).
- ignore the prisoner who just waits, go north and shoot the vehicle before it leaves
- Extract the prisoner on the river
- Shoot the next target from around the small bridge in the center of the area at long range as it appears coming down the road
- Stun and extract the vehicle transporting the prisoner
- Sneak to the north of the main camp (go slowly and take cover to the side of D-Horse), then camp out around that corner since everything goes past there.
Then when all that is done you can take care of the rest of the prisoners.

Last edited:
7I8VX1C.png

Apparently there's also a "No Trace" bonus that effectively guarantees S-rank, which is 130k points according to what I've read. Took like 10 tries, a lot considering there's basically only 3 things you need to do, but shows that you can play it as a legit stealth game and time doesn't matter. Of course its a lot harder that way but just shooting up the place is obviously meant to be the casual way out.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Trying to S-Rank every mission in TPP is a legitimately stiff challenge, especially if you toggle off reaction reflexes and certain other overly-helpful features.

Fuck Back Up, Back Down and its psychic fucking helicopter gunship at the end. I did S-Rank that one, though.

I should fire this game up again. Hopefully, my FOBs haven't been obliterated over time by retaliatory incursions from all the other players I raided and pillaged. :lol:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Fuck Back Up, Back Down and its psychic fucking helicopter gunship at the end. I did S-Rank that one, though.
Worst thing about is that you could s rank it just by taking care of one vehicle, speeding up time then just moving to exfil.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Worst thing about is that you could s rank it just by taking care of one vehicle, speeding up time then just moving to exfil.
This.

(btw I just blasted the helo with the multiple-rocket thing you can snatch during the mission, easy)

S-ranking is p. easy in most cases, bumrushing helps. Except the mission I'm doing now with extracting Emmerich. Fucking hell, what a long and painful slog, plus that robot at the end is a goddamn nightmare. First attempt took like 20 minutes of hide and seek, second was better but still...Jesus.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
S-ranking is p. easy in most cases, bumrushing helps. Except the mission I'm doing now with extracting Emmerich.
I lost patience in this one, I just dropped a smoke bomb on my Jeep and drove it all the way to Huey

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom