Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Isles of Adalar - open world fantasy action-RPG with co-op and level editor - now on Early Access

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Indiegogo: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/isles-of-adalar-co-op-rpg

https://www.peakwaysoftware.com

ss_a9f007f099c5633d696849faac7442379ad8a5cf.jpg

ss_1ff5368b18c3f7db65ad8731c131cbc13fbdaa0b.jpg

Morrowind vibe, eh? This was originally called Isles Of Arthanos.

Demo and Indiegogo campaign are coming on October 21st.

CoopGif.gif

MULTIPLAYER
We've always wanted to experience this style of RPG with a few friends. With that in mind, Isles of Adalar will support up to four player co-op on release. However, we know multiplayer isn't for everyone so we will manually scale the difficulty of every encounter to keep the integrity of the single player game design.

ModSupportGif.gif

MOD SUPPORT
Our vision is for Isles of Adalar to become known over time as a nearly endless RPG experience rich with narrative driven content. With this in mind we've designed our game to support mods and user generated content from the very beginning. Everything that exists in game is created using the same level editor that ships inside the game, so the modders have access to all the tools we use ourselves to create campaigns.

Just shipping tools for modding is not enough to realize our vision. We are going to be actively working to build up a creative community around our game. This starts with making tools as user friendly and efficient to use as possible so that small teams of only a handful of people can make large scale campaigns. But in addition to the tools we will also be giving players extra content that is not used in the base game so that their campaigns can feel unique. This will range from environmental biomes, to different styles of architecture and even new enemies.

ROLE PLAYING AND REPLAYABILITY
Choice and consequence is at the core of our dialogue system. We use a hybrid (mostly) text based system that features non specific voice lines for NPCs. This allows us to have in depth dialogue with the characters in the world but also gives the player necessary feedback to reflect the NPC's general attitude and response to the player. For example, you may try to intimidate a bandit and if you fail the speech check you may get a voiced response saying something like "I won't stand for this!" but the text can be more in depth and context specific.

Instead of using a speech skill to determine dialogue choices and persuasion success, the player can assign multiple personality traits to their character and these traits will give unique responses. The success or failure of a persuasion attempt is determined by both the player character's level and if a specific type of persuasion logically makes sense in the context of the situation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
An obvious Skyrim clone, but it looks kinda nice. If there is a free demo, I will certainly give it a try.

Sacibengala

Prophet
Now it only needs good dungeon exploration and good quests to be better than any Elder Scrolls game out there.

Sloul

Savant
Kevin from Peakway Software said:
We plan to go into early access around July of 2020. We are launching an IndieGogo campaign October 21st to get us to July. A free steam demo will be available for anyone to play during the IndieGogo campaign. One of the rewards you can get for contributing to the crowdfunding campaign is access to our closed alpha builds between the end of the campaign and July.

The elder scrolls was definitely an inspiration. Dark Souls was an inspiration in that we wanted a bit more sophisticated combat than TES although not to the same level as a Dark Souls game. We are also inspired by early Fallout games (1+2) and Fallout: New Vegas for the deep role playing aspects.

Right now we have 4 playable races including human. We would like to add a couple more in the future.

-Kevin

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
It's always so weird to see indies think they can do Skyrim, but better.
Has this ever worked? Outward maybe? But that's quite limited, and they got a bunch of state funding in Canada iirc.
Mod support is also a double edged sword - it does help you keep up with content updates (pretty much a must have for a game like this today), but you also have to make, release, maintain and support the tools.

And it was fairly recently that another not-Skyrim went into EA. How many of these can the market support?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
And it was fairly recently that another not-Skyrim went into EA. How many of these can the market support?

Considering most of these end up being shovelware with half-assed implementation of systems and barely any content, the market for those that aren't crap is still large and untapped.

Outward is the exception, most games of this type end up as abandoned half-finished Early Access titles.

V_K

Arcane

Considering most of these end up being shovelware with half-assed implementation of systems and barely any content, the market for those that aren't crap is still large and untapped.
But that's the point. You can't make a better Skyrim with a 3 guys team on 0.1% of Skyrim budget.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron

But that's the point. You can't make a better Skyrim with a 3 guys team on 0.1% of Skyrim budget.

You could if you went with lower poly graphics. Let's say something that looks like modded Morrowind, or the original Unreal, and a Gothic-sized world.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.

Obviously not, but what made TES games somewhat enjoyable, was the scale, the sheer amount of various places to go and see. Here it seems that just like Oblivion and Skyrim went back from creative fantasy world of Morrowind to generic medieval/norse setting, just to cater to then hyped LOTR movie aesthetics, this game analogically tries to cater to TES/ESO public with its visual style.

V_K

Arcane
a Gothic-sized world.
But that'd be a completely different game. A large part of TES appeal is precisely the world size.

I'd take another Morrowind that's half the size of the original but just as handcrafted over a mostly empty or procedurally generated one any day.
But that's precisely what a small team can't handle. Handcrafting 3D levels takes a huge amount of man-hours - a resource they don't have. And "half the size of Morrowind" is still a huge landmass. 1/10th is more realistic, but there'd be very little TES in there at that scale - and you have to design the game with this scale in mind, which they probably are not.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I personally as a fan of first person action rpgs would welcome another game should it finish in my lifetime. Although, as others have said, due to the scale I can only hope they pace themselves appropriately and maybe build over time. A game like Terraria wasn't as massive as it was starting out.

I'm tentively excited at least.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
this at least would be cool if they allow to insert custom assets. could be the new TES modding community.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom