Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Poll: The Outer Worlds and Fallout: New Vegas

Which one of these describes your opinion most closely?

• Total voters

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
There is a skill check and it affects the difficulty of the minigame.
I know, but it's absolutely beyond the point.
You have to play a stupid mini-game to do something that a simple skillcheck should do. See VTMB on how to do it properly.
And on top of it, you often had to save scum the hacking. So bad.

And no, I do not accept that understanding the minigame makes it enjoyable. Sawyer is either lying to himself, or to everyone else.

Good thing that every lockpick and hacking in The Outer Worlds is a hard skill decks without minigames.

Void_Pickle

Educated
For games where you're supposed to fight with guns, both lack any kind of basic gunplay mechanics that you can find in games like Far Cry.

Fanboys love to retard-rate when I say this. They think gunplay is unnecessary in an RPG, it's like the dumber the gunplay gets the happier they will be. They're like asexual people that hate on big titties in video games. If they can't enjoy it, they don't want anyone else to. But then they go out of their way to install mods that improve melee combat in Skyrim that suffers from exactly the same problem. They're phonies, they know exactly what I'm talking about.

Daily reminder, fanboys. FNV is absolute shit.

Most RPGs have crappy combat. FNV's being tolerable already sets it above many. Personally I enjoy the game far, far more than Far Cry despite the gunplay disparity. That's just not what I care about when playing it. Not that I wouldn't take better if it were offered of course, but it just isn't as crucial as you're making it out to be. Different types of games, different types of standards.

The hacking minigame was more fun than the terrible gun play. They should have replaced the shitty combat with a "skill check" instead.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Fallout New Vegas is neither good nor bad, it's highly customizable decent written actual fallout game. Get over your hate over mods, it's piss easy to install them with Mod Organizer.

The Outer Worlds is nothing like New Vegas since it aims to be more linear game. And TOWs politics is weak excuse compared to FNV.

Last edited:

Danikas

Arcane
Fallout New Vegas is neither good nor bad, it's highly customizable decent written actual fallout game. Get over your hate over mods, it's piss easy to install them with Mor Organizer.
Gaybryo Engine brings New Vegas down hard sadly, entire ending of the game felt like kindergarten play. Here we have second battle of Hoover dam, clash of two mortal enemies, two ideologies. Lets present that battle with 20 people awkwardly shooting at each other in small corridor.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Infinitron, taking names of bad goys.

wtfamireading.png
at Quillon vote.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Gaybryo Engine brings New Vegas down hard sadly, entire ending of the game felt like kindergarten play. Here we have second battle of Hoover dam, clash of two mortal enemies, two ideologies. Lets present that battle with 20 people awkwardly shooting at each other in small corridor.
Name at least a shooter game with massive battle. I want to see an actual battle in a first person shooter too. Planetside 2 doesn't count, their maps just suck.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Let me sum FNV: run backwards while shooting. At least you can't do that in Outer Skyrim.

Danikas

Arcane
Name at least a shooter game with massive battle. I want to see an actual battle in a first person shooter too. Planetside 2 doesn't count, their maps just suck.
Arma 1/2/3, Red orchestra 1/2. If you cant properly show battles in your game, dont write situations where your character takes part in battle. Whole ending could have been different with the courier learning about the outcome in ending slides.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I recently played Metro: Last Light. The final battle is about 8v8 in one room.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

BF2 with 100+ slot severs.

Terenty

Liturgist
New Vegas is a typical obsidian turd, a disgrace to Fallout 1. Boring writing with boring voice acting, retarded premise and a gps system.

Outer Worlds seems to be a worthy successor

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
The problem is this: I never thought of vanilla Fallout: New Vegas as a "great" game. I'd even say "good" is stretching it a bit, but I'll take it. The most important thing about New Vegas is that the writing is very enjoyable and the game has extensive mod support. Two things The Outer Worlds doesn't count with. And it looks like yet another GameBryo game in spite of not being GameBryo, released NINE years after New Vegas. It's unacceptable.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

EDIT:

Last edited:

Trashos

Arcane
New Vegas is fucking awesome, and I voted that TOW could also be good. However, I doubt that it will be comparable to NV in goodness.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom