Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Multi generational rpg

Milo

Critical Forge
Developer
Hello,

So, I’ve had an idea bouncing around for a while for a multi generational RPG. You play a character, have a kid, play the kid, who later has a kid, and so on. You’d basically have two levels of progression: short term character progression and long term lineage progression. Things like your estate, taught skill sets, etc.

I’ve been working on the basic premise for a while as a sort of side project to teach my daughter game development. Starting to consider whether I should make it something commercial. Is there much interest for a game like this? Anyone know any other games that would be similar to this?

barghwata

Savant
You’d basically have two levels of progression: short term character progression and long term lineage progression. Things like your estate, taught skill sets, etc.

The guild 2 renaissance does exactly this, if you can consider it an RPG.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
What you're really looking for is Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines, but it's a JRPG.

Milo

Critical Forge
Developer
Oreshika is similar, yeah, though still quite different. I’ll check it out though as likely can learn a lot from it :)

The others aren’t quite what I was referring to :)

v1rus

Arcane
Theres that one weird Fire Emblem game that does it; whole lotta jrpgs too i think

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Medieval Dynasty is supposed to come out next year. It looks like a cross between Banished and Crusader Kings. You build a small village - into a kingdom, and also build a family dynasty and establish bloodlines to ensure rule through the middle ages. It sounds more like a building sim, but it's listed on Steam in the RPG section, so who knows.

Ysaye

Arbiter
For older jrpgs that did this, Fire Emblem 4 (2 generations with some inbetweeners) and Phantasy Star 3 (3 generations)

Last edited:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
One of my forever-unfinished game projects is like this.

Basically you control a pioneer of sorts who can later marry one of the eligible ladies from the nearby village. The big twist here being that depending on who you choose, you may or may not get children who will eventually be added to your party for the end game. I.e. one of them is physically frail and sickly, but carries the bloodline of witches etc.

I wasn't designed generational per se, more about a single full generation and the game ending on your character's deathbed as you pass the mantle on to your children. Your choices and the choice of who you marry affecting the end scenario greatly.

So yeah, the concept is interesting hand does have potential. The biggest challenge I see is that each generation needs to be kind of short-lived for the whole thing to be interesting. But it is hard balance.

I guess you could take a super detached approach with minimal story, treating the extra children as bonus lives. Or what about having multiple wives and then deciding on the best cross-breeding experiment as the successor (who has the fight all of his siblings now, thx dad!)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think Double Fine's Massive Chalice did this.

Also, the upcoming The Iron Oath is supposed to have playthroughs taking place over hundreds of years with characters who age and retire, but I don't know if they have children.

laclongquan

Arcane
I think Double Fine's Massive Chalice did this.

Also, the upcoming The Iron Oath is supposed to have playthroughs taking place over hundreds of years with characters who age and retire, but I don't know if they have children.
Massive Chalice!

That generation thingy is interesting which is why I chose to test it.

It has a very basic problem that I cant install it in the first place. I dont even remember now what it was, just that it's very basic.

Recommend OP to play Massive Chalice to see if your idea the same.

There was a series of games in Playstation1 with same idea I think. Something Saga games.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
A few games have this gimmick, the one that came to me was a ps1 jrpg, likely the one laclojgquan is referring to. It was one of those games that I never played but seemed fun to read about in gaming magazines, I remember it having really nice hand drawn looking visuals and that the plot changed according to who you married and what kid you ended up spawning but little else. A quick google check suggests it might have been saga frontier 2 going by the visuals?

Efe

Erudite
agarest is based on this..
there was also one indie top-down game where every action takes a year and you build town, go on adventure etc.. i cant remember the name tho

Falksi

Arcane
For older jrpgs that did this, Fire Emblem 4 (2 generations with some inbetweeners) and Phantasy Star 4 (3 generations)

The one with three generations is Phantasy Star 3. 4 is the one with best girl Rika.

And here they are...........

Phantasy+Star+3.png

Great idea, not a bad game with lots of good elements but ultimately dragged down by empty areas & an encounter level which is way too high.

I'd love to see something similar done again. Flesh the story & RPG aspects out a bit more, improve the combat, and you've got a winner.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Dragon Valor and Phantasy Star... III, I believe. It's less mechanics and more "choose your path and then continue the stories on their path." But the kind of storytelling really differs in Dragon Valor's case.

Lurker47

Savant
Imagine if Faulkner wrote an RPG. :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom