Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones - a Lovecraftian Computer RPG

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Two people itt can't wrap their heads around the fact that they can see things the character they're playing can't. Stygian's programmers aren't particularly good, that may be a reason why they didn't go with a totally-obscuring darkness-that-covers-everything-but-your-character-and-the-exit.

ok once you know you might need a lantern, where do you get one, is your first guess the gunshop

It's not a gunshop; it sells a lot of other things.

V_K

Arcane
tygian's programmers aren't particularly good, that may be a reason why they didn't go with a totally-obscuring darkness-that-covers-everything-but-your-character-and-the-exit.
To be fair, they do have that effect in the blasted street - if you go in without protection, the screen becomes covered by red completely. You can still click around and move but you can't see what you're clicking on. So in principle they could do darkness the same way. I just don't see a problem with the way it is.

Yosharian

Arcane

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Again a disingenuous comparison, but not surprising from someone who just mindlessly labels other peoples' posts as retarded.
I sparingly rate something retarded in game discussions, so when I rate something retarded here it's retarded! (and never rate retarded post that I quote)
Some level of abstraction is understandable, why you don't whine that could not hit something point-blank with a shotgun if you have 0 firearms?
Stygian has 99 problems, but lantern ain't one. Many parts of rest menu are bugged, especially researching artifacts, there is no easy method to step on the title where is corpse in the battle and so on, but lantern mechanic? Sheesh!
There is ONE crate in that corner of the room, it's very obvious even though it's dark. It's not analogous to your example in the least.
It's not visible if you are playing in the brightly lit room. It's somewhat visible when it's dark.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is there nothing to research after science 5 or 6? I haven't been able to do any scientific research for a while now. Also, I'm having trouble with the Blasted Street boss encounter, and I saw somewhere that science characters can research rocks, but I definitely don't have that option. My science is 8.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Is there nothing to research after science 5 or 6? I haven't been able to do any scientific research for a while now. Also, I'm having trouble with the Blasted Street boss encounter, and I saw somewhere that science characters can research rocks, but I definitely don't have that option. My science is 8.
Find a radiant rock around hermaphrodite's house. You can research another rock after boss battle

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Find a radiant rock around hermaphrodite's house. You can research another rock after boss battle
I can't research anything with science skill. I got the thing first thing you say to research and touched it in the inventory to see the text. Does that remove your ability to research it? I haven't been able to research anything with science for a while at this point. I thought maybe I just had the recipes somehow that I'd gain from general science research, but I'm starting to doubt that's the case.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I can't research anything with science skill. I got the thing first thing you say to research and touched it in the inventory to see the text. Does that remove your ability to research it?
You can't research regular purple stones (there are three of them). They work just like books.

I haven't been able to research anything with science for a while at this point. I thought maybe I just had the recipes somehow that I'd gain from general science research, but I'm starting to doubt that's the case.
General science research is active but you can't research anything? I had it too, you need a specific stones that I mentioned earlier. If you want, we can compare recipe list. Post things that you can craft with a science.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
I can't research anything with science skill. I got the thing first thing you say to research and touched it in the inventory to see the text. Does that remove your ability to research it?
You can't research regular purple stones (there are three of them). They work just like books.

I haven't been able to research anything with science for a while at this point. I thought maybe I just had the recipes somehow that I'd gain from general science research, but I'm starting to doubt that's the case.
General science research is active but you can't research anything? I had it too, you need a specific stones that I mentioned earlier. If you want, we can compare recipe list. Post things that you can craft with a science.
I can't even do general science research since I had maybe 5 or 6 science. If I select it, it doesn't show the progress bar like it's supposed to and really jacks up the rest options other people have by not letting them select anything. At first, I thought maybe it was just a bug related to not having anything to research at that level, but I thought by 8 science, I'd have something to do with general science research. I also can't research anything else like I used to because nothing even shows up below general science research where stuff used to show up in the rest menu. I think the last thing I researched was the lockpick to give me the reusable lockpick. It's kind of frustrating to have made a science character who can't even science.

Silva

Arcane
Anyone else found smoking your money cool as hell and ingeniously representative of the crazy shithole the protagonist is in?

(I picked some Angst defect that made me addiction prone)

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I can't even do general science research since I had maybe 5 or 6 science. If I select it, it doesn't show the progress bar like it's supposed to and really jacks up the rest options other people have by not letting them select anything.
As I said two times already, you need proper stones to research. I had this bug too.
You need a radiant rock, easy to miss, just before window of hermaphrodite's house. It gives you weapon to win boss fight later.
You need another rock, meteorite fragment, that is obtained after the fight
That's all, research these two blueprints and "science research" will become grayed out.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
I can't even do general science research since I had maybe 5 or 6 science. If I select it, it doesn't show the progress bar like it's supposed to and really jacks up the rest options other people have by not letting them select anything.
As I said two times already, you need proper stones to research. I had this bug too.
You need a radiant rock, easy to miss, just before window of hermaphrodite's house. It gives you weapon to win boss fight later.
You need another rock, meteorite fragment, that is obtained after the fight
That's all, research these two blueprints and "science research" will become grayed out.
Ah, I had the anomalous rock and not the radiant rock. I guess that's what confused me. At least I got past the part when I found out the Outsider can use spit to kill the mound of dirt. I did get the meteorite fragment after the fight, but I hope I don't need it because I doubt I'll be able to science it.
I saw somewhere else in this thread somebody saying they were able to research some .22 pistol at 8 science, but that definitely isn't the case for me, so I was wondering if I had hit some snag.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
A simple way to show you a lanturn was mandatory would be to make the room so dark you couldn't see anything, stop making excuses for shit design

My character being retarded and unable to see clearly visible boxes wasn't the character I built

Binky

Cipher
Man, I can't stand that constantly wailing/yodeling woman in front of the theater. The guy responsible for that needs to be beaten with waffles.

vota DC

Augur
Anyone else found smoking your money cool as hell and ingeniously representative of the crazy shithole the protagonist is in?

(I picked some Angst defect that made me addiction prone)
Mechanic wise seems a good idea. A couple of cigs instead of drugs that give you temporary drawbacks.

There Is a list of survival recipes?
There Is some melee weapon made with science skill?

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
The pistol you're looking for is either 9 or 10 in science.
I loaded a game to before I fought the Blasted Streets boss and used cheats to make myself level up and max out my science, and I still can't research anything. Pretty sure my general science research just bugged out somehow. The Outsider got his medic skill maxed out and was able to do general medical research for new stuff, so I think it should've worked.

Sloul

Savant
A simple way to show you a lanturn was mandatory would be to make the room so dark you couldn't see anything, stop making excuses for shit design

My character being retarded and unable to see clearly visible boxes wasn't the character I built
If that was the case, and if you would spend all your fuel within the warehouse, you would be stuck within. Not very bright.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Mechanic wise seems a good idea. A couple of cigs instead of drugs that give you temporary drawbacks.

There Is a list of survival recipes?
Survival 1 - Molotov Cocktail (Alcohol + Alcohol + Cloth)
Survival 2 - Mystery Meat (Tainted Meat + Salt) - 3x Rations
Survival 3 - Survivor's Knife (Whetstone + Wood + Metal + Metal)
Survival 4 - Snare (Rope + Wood + Metal) - Apparently, could be used to get rations at rest
Survival 5 - Hunter's Belt (Rope + Leather + Metal) - less AP for reload

There Is some melee weapon made with science skill?
Yes, Stun Rod. 6 Science, 1 Melee, Baton+Copper Wires+Battery

Science:

Science 1 - Recoil Reducer (Springs + Cogs + Metal) - Ranged attack +2
Science 5 - Automated Lockpick (Lockpicks + Electrical Parts + Battery)
Science 6, Melee 1 - Stun Rod (Baton+Copper Wires+Battery)

Last edited:

GandGolf

Augur

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
...I loaded a game to before I fought the Blasted Streets boss and used cheats to make myself level up and max out my science, and I still can't research anything...

Did you use cheat engine or were you actually able to find out some of the console commands?
I just used the Tab key in the console to see the commands. There's one called add_level that adds a level and sets your XP to the minimum required for that level. I'm assuming this is how people get the achievement for reaching level 10 as I just beat the game at level 7, if I recall, and I don't think you'd ever get to 10. Maybe if you just rested over and over until you leveled up to 10, but that would take so long that I think it would drive me insane IRL. The combat speed in this game must be designed to make you feel the madness that your character experiences.

There are commands to do stuff like add and remove companions and conditions, but I have no idea what arguments those are expecting. The only ones I figured out were add_level, add_cigs, and add_item. I just used "add_item rations 5" every once in a while to save me the trouble of walking to a shop to buy them. add_cigs isn't necessary since you get way too many in the game as it is, but it works exactly like you'd expect, e.g. "add_cigs 50" would give you 50 cigs.

There's rest command, but I've no idea what the advantages are of using that. Maybe you don't get jumped if you're not resting at a campsite. I was hoping there'd be a command to speed up combat, since I can't imagine the devs played through these fights at this speed during testing.

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
What's the best pistol in the game?

Colt Peacemaker from Isidore is the best one I've found. Nice damage at 7-8 with good AP economy. There's that flintlock from the Old Man house quest that does obscene damage (12-18 or something) but shoots slow as fuck.

Is there some pistol that's craftable only with science or something Arcanum-like? It would be cool.

Stakhanov

Augur
What's the best pistol in the game?

Colt Peacemaker from Isidore is the best one I've found. Nice damage at 7-8 with good AP economy. There's that flintlock from the Old Man house quest that does obscene damage (12-18 or something) but shoots slow as fuck.

Is there some pistol that's craftable only with science or something Arcanum-like? It would be cool.

The craftable pistol is rubbish unfortunately, a repeater that shoots .22s for 1-5 damage, although at a very low AP cost. The one you mentioned is probably the best all-around gun, but given how irrelevant range seems to be, the bulldog that does 7-10 damage might be marginally better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom