Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Long Live Wizardry! (And The All-New Games By Ex-Wizardry Developers) - UPDATED: MARCH/07/2016

DRPG Book

Educated

ECmyxBpW4AA7bZb

Ventidius

Arbiter
I'm just relieved to see that the game will get the PC release after all. Or so it seems anyway.

This should definitely be worth purchasing, even if it isn't as good as the Elminage games or SOSC. We gotta send the message out there that there is a market for these sorts of games.

mindfields

Learned
Rights for games in Japan has always been a mess, I think I remember reading an article about how many companies in Japan don't even bother with contracts.

Ysaye

Arbiter
Random question - has anyone bought the Katsuya Terada Busin Wizardry Artwork book, and (if so):

(1) Is it worth it?
(2) Does it have artwork from multiple games, or just Busin Zero?

tl;dr Here's a patch for reroll-free chargen for snes wiz6, compatible with or without english translation patch: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TKPyiVSghfMZ1uY-5RTFNk18EFdI2Wwm

---

I love everything about wizardry... except rerolling new characters. I'd much prefer a point-buy system, classes that are locked only by accomplishments, prestige classes only after reclassing at level X, whatever. Anything but design that encourages hitting that reroll button ad-nauseaum.

So, sitting down to play wizardry 6 on the SNES (seems like a great port), after planning my party, and rerolling a few times, I broke down and made a patch to eliminate rerolling, cause I hate doing stupid repetitive shit.

You can patch it on top of the base Japanese rom, or after (and probably before) applying the translation patch: http://www.romhacking.net/translations/939/

When you create a character (race/gender), you'll be able to pick any class at the outset due to many bonus points. Then, while you freely allocate stats, the # of bonus points will be set to and remain at zero so you can stop anytime. Setting skills and spells (and everything else) is unchanged.

Wanna simulate rolling for hours to get a fairy ninja? - fine, just pick fairy ninja, allocate like 1 bonus point, and pretend you just mashed the buttons for 30 minutes.
Wanna be a munchkin or make a super solo character? fine, just pick whatever you want and set all stats to 18, you filth.

Eventually the patch will be on RHDN, unless they hate me or something.

If there's interest, I'll try one of these for gaiden IV sometime.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
it's a fun little piece of animation. they put a lot of attention to detail in it, including specifying why they can't simply use resurrection on the dead party member(s) at the end.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Just wanted to thank all contributors to this thread for introducing me to the wild world of wizardry.

I distinctly remember being intriqued by the back of an anthology edition as a child, particularily by the magic system which seemed fascinating.

Sadly, my IQ was impaired by pubescent hormones and I put it back on the shelf to buy NOLF2 instead. Like many men I made the mistake of choosing a sexy woman in a jumpsuit over the oppurtunity to languish in a dungeon for the remainder of my childhood in the company of dwarves and hobbits.

In any case, I have now located the SNES and PSX versions of Wizardry 1-3 and, while there's no way I'm going to progress in them while holding down a full time job, I can at least listen to the soundtrack while playing Operation Abyss: Tokyo Legacy; which I can now appreciate the design of.
:martini:

Thanks again and have a fantastic day.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
In any case, I have now located the SNES and PSX versions of Wizardry 1-3 and, while there's no way I'm going to progress in them while holding down a full time job

That's actually one of the best things about these games, that they don't really waste your time. Every time you sit down to play it's 100% gameplay and "content". Ironically, this kind of turn-based dungeon crawling gameplay translates almost perfectly to "mobile" play, which is precisely why Etrian Odyssey games were so succesful.

Reality

Learned
I don't know if this is just me or what but - I've always felt that Wiz 6-7 appeal in part to people who wouldn't play other DRPGs - I also feel like Wiz 1-5 have a strong "push your luck" aspect, ith how far you can go down before using the 2nd half of your resouces purely to survive the trip back to town, culminating in Malor / Titlowattt sharing the same slot - I think it comes it comes at the expense of Wiz 1-5 having most random encounters go "fight fight fight parry parry parry" except when you can justify burning spell slot resources (enemy has breath attacks / status effects) . Now Wiz 6-8 have a larger focus on "abstract combat" and stuff, and it's NICE, but I've never gotten the same Push your luck / spelunking feeling from them. Is this just me? I kind of feel like there has to be other people out there even though I see D.W.Bradley's game talked about more than Greenwood's...

Ysaye

Arbiter
I don't know if this is just me or what but - I've always felt that Wiz 6-7 appeal in part to people who wouldn't play other DRPGs - I also feel like Wiz 1-5 have a strong "push your luck" aspect, ith how far you can go down before using the 2nd half of your resouces purely to survive the trip back to town, culminating in Malor / Titlowattt sharing the same slot - I think it comes it comes at the expense of Wiz 1-5 having most random encounters go "fight fight fight parry parry parry" except when you can justify burning spell slot resources (enemy has breath attacks / status effects) . Now Wiz 6-8 have a larger focus on "abstract combat" and stuff, and it's NICE, but I've never gotten the same Push your luck / spelunking feeling from them. Is this just me? I kind of feel like there has to be other people out there even though I see D.W.Bradley's game talked about more than Greenwood's...

You meant Greenberg (not Greenwood) I think?

Yes I think most people here on the JRPG forum would agree with you that the attraction of Wiz1-5 and games like Elminage Gothic is the "spelunky" feel to them, whereas Wiz 6 - 8, Wizards and Warriors (and I presume Grimoire?) are more like what the Might and Magic series tried to cultivate in that series. It's not that I don't like the latter, but in terms of enjoyment and of game-playing, the simplicity of the game premise behind the original Wizardry games and their clones I find more appealing.

Viata

Arcane
Well, I really think is that we lack games like Wiz 6~8. I mean, Grimoire is the only game like that released in what? Almost 20 years? I can't remember any other, tbh.

Machocruz

Arcane
That is Wizardry to me. Go as deep as your resources and nerve sustain, come back up and regroup. It's not (only) a quest to kill the baddie, it's an expedition into the heart of darkness.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
so other than Nis game,coven labyrinth of galleria. any new game coming out? experience inc seems to be into visual novel now.

RatTower

Arcane
Developer

Labyrinth of the Lost Souls will be released on the 15th of January.
Hopefully for real this time.

Speaking of japanese Wizardry:

There was a Wizardry: Dimguil for PS1.
I mistakenly thought this was just another bundle of remakes (like Llylgamyn Saga), but apparently it's its own thing.
Is Dimguil part of some series like Wizardry: Empire?

Besides that, I'm currently trying out Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land, which is very, very good.
I actually regret not getting it back in the day - saw it plenty of times at a store.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom