Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
ps5 will have RDNA2, maybe. It could run with 60 fps with raytracing.

that is expected for the basic ps5...... so the ps5 pro should be even better.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
-Sony confirms PS5 for late 2020
-it will be named 'Playstation 5'
- Ray tracing support is hardware based
- Controller has now adaptive triggers, haptic feedback, new speakers, USB Type-C

There are two important innovations in the new PS5 controller. The first is to reinvent the traditional vibration function found in the original PlayStation and its same generation of game controllers and adopt haptic technology. By adopting this haptic technology, you will be able to feel a wider variety of reactions than ever before. For example, the feeling of a car hitting a wall during a race might be quite different from the feeling of tackling an opponent in football. You can even run through the grass and taste the sensation in the mud.The second innovation is the evolution of the L2 and R2 buttons called adaptive triggers, which are newly introduced this time. Game developers will be able to program the trigger resistance to match the actions the player takes, and in combination with haptic technology, more realistic actions can be reproduced than ever before. You will be able to. For example, the feeling of squeezing a bow sharply and the feeling of accelerating an off-road vehicle on a rocky terrain can be reproduced more clearly. Game developers are already starting to deliver initial versions of the new controller, so we hope you will try these new features to your heart's content and expand your imagination.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
more info !

PlayStation 5 supports ray-tracing. This is not a software-level fix. “There is ray-tracing acceleration in the GPU hardware,” system architect Mark Cerny said, “which I believe is the statement that people were looking for.”

Physical games will use 100 gigabyte optical discs, which are inserted into an optical drive that doubles as a 4K Blu-ray player.

Game installation is mandatory, but is a bit different than game installation on PlayStation 4. Installation and removal is a more configurable process. “Rather than treating games like a big block of data,” Cerny said, “we’re allowing finer-grained access to the data.” For example, you may be able to install just a game’s multiplayer campaign, and leave the single-player campaign for later. Or install the whole thing and delete the single-player campaign when you have finished.

The user interface has been completely revamped. “Even though it will be fairly fast to boot games, we don’t want the player to have to boot the game, see what’s up, boot the game, see what’s up,” Cerny said. “Multiplayer game servers will provide the console with the set of joinable activities in real time. Single-player games will provide information like what missions you could do and what rewards you might receive for completing them—and all of those choices will be visible in the UI. As a player you just jump right into whatever you like.

The PlayStation 5 controller looks like the DualShock 4, but has a little hole in it, which Cerny said will be discussed at a later time. One of its new features is the “adaptive triggers,” which offer varying levels of resistance, which can make shooting a bow feel authentic in that the tension increases as you pull the arrow back, or make a machine gun feel different from shooting a shotgun. It also has haptic feedback “far more capable” than the current rumble motors, with highly programmable voice-coil actuators located in the left and right grips of the controller

he PlayStation 5 controller uses a USB Type-C connector for charging and has a larger-capacity battery. While a bit heavier than the DualShock 4, it will still be a bit lighter than the current Xbox controller “with batteries in it.”

Shadow of the Colossus developer Bluepoint Games is working on a PlayStation 5 title. “We’re working on a big one right now,” said Bluepoint Games president Marco Thrush. “I’ll let you figure out the rest.” He added, “The SSD has me really excited. You don’t need to do gameplay hacks anymore to artificially slow players down—lock them behind doors, anything like that. Back in the cartridge days, games used to load instantly; we’re kind of going back to what consoles used to be.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Playstation 5 already won next generation, they got everything that one would expect a console should have

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
The ray tracing part is the most interesting to me because if they include it that means that xbox 2 will include it too and that means that almost all AAA games from 2020 and onwards will most likely integrate ray tracing.

Unfortunately that means that I may have to change my plans for my next pc which I want to buy by the end of the year,I was planning to get a 1660 ti but now after this I may have to change that to a 2060

sullynathan

Arcane
The ray tracing part is the most interesting to me because if they include it that means that xbox 2 will include it too and that means that almost all AAA games from 2020 and onwards will most likely integrate ray tracing.

Unfortunately that means that I may have to change my plans for my next pc which I want to buy by the end of the year,I was planning to get a 1660 ti but now after this I may have to change that to a 2060
Microsoft already confirmed Raytracing in a video at E3 posted here like a few months ago. Both consoles coming Winter/Fall 2020 are going to be incredibly similar.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Game installation is mandatory
Oh of course. Also apparently the backwards compatibility is only with the PS4 and it isn't even 100%.

Thinking about changing to Xbox next gen, the 'game pass' deal is just too good. PS Plus is a joke.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

The 2080ti has "raytracing hardware" in it, but can barely play Control at 1080p60 with all of it turned on. No way the PS5 has a better GPU than a 2080ti. So I see three possibilities: 1) same level of raytracing but a huge focus on reconstruction techniques like consoles already do, meaning low internal resolutions, or 2) very limited raytracing implementation, like just reflections and only in a limited area, or 3) while the GPU is more normal in spec, they really load up on the raytracing cores and make it the signature visual aspect of the console.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Don't expect these consoles using RTRT as extensively as the marketing wizards want you to believe. In practice, this hardware will just about provide enough juice to render some selected reflections, make ambient occlusion more accurate and throw in some prettier shadows. In other words, render a cleaner frame overall, not blow you out of the water.

Achilles

Arcane
Don't expect these consoles using RTRT as extensively as the marketing wizards want you to believe. In practice, this hardware will just about provide enough juice to render some selected reflections, make ambient occlusion more accurate and throw in some prettier shadows. In other words, render a cleaner frame overall, not blow you out of the water.

Just like Xbox One's "secret sauce" and PS4's "supercharged PC architecture", every single buzzword that will be used to sell these machines will be 100% bullshit. Their hardware will be obsolete from launch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom