Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I actually thought the games gonna make fun of everybody from every political spectrum and every walk of life

Turns out fags are untouchable
This game is the answer to the "what will happen what a team of faggots decide to make a game?" question.

Insert Title Here
If having the word faggot in the game and lightly censoring it makes both the PC crowd and codexers have a glorious meltdown, just go for it.

Still hoping the word can be uncensored in the options though.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I...I...I agree with fantadomat on this one. I need to leave Codex for a while, it seems.

:shredder:

But seriously, if you use words that are offensive, or offer the player character an option to use them, go all the way or don't intoduce them at all. I'd rather cuck away from using slurs of my own volition if presented an opportunity, rather than see some censored dialogue.

EDIT: and who knows, maybe the option to uncensor is there.

Last edited:

asterix

Educated
If having the word faggot in the game and lightly censoring it makes both the PC crowd and codexers have a glorious meltdown, just go for it.
The ultimate trolling.

Thought experiment: if they'd just replaced it with some generic "fuckwad" (i.e. actually censored themselves by changing content), they wouldn't be risking any outcry yet to potentially come from "PC Crowd" parts of the Internet, and Codex would've been none the wiser either, by now probably brofisting themselves over advanced race theories and cock carousels still in the game instead. But, they left it in and just bleeped it instead. Why?

frajaq

Erudite
I actually thought the games gonna make fun of everybody from every political spectrum and every walk of life

looks like the "unspoken rule of show business" that Dave Chappelle talks a lot about applies to video games too

you are never, ever allowed to upset the alphabet people

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Didn’t give much fucks about this gaem so far, but the stream got me completely. This is fucking great, reminds me of good old adventure games. Writing is awesome, couldn’t stop giggling. Totally waiting for the release.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What if it's some heretofore unknown word that just looks like faggot?
people-who-annoy-you_o_227732.jpg

thinking.png

frajaq

Erudite
The distance between "GOTY" and "SELLOUT CUCKS" is only a single asterisk, it seems.

hey now I'm still buying and playing this game, it still looks great. I don't let minor slip-ups affect my judgement, its just weird that this one censor happens on the same map (?) that you can talk to a fucking race realist that puts races into tiers

Terenty

Liturgist

looks like the "unspoken rule of show business" that Dave Chappelle talks a lot about applies to video games too

you are never, ever allowed to upset the alphabet people

I just read on the tolerant forum that they do in fact have a swearing filter in the game and the streamers were using it. Dunno if true

Man I was going to write out why I think this particular example of self-censorship is pointless and, ironically enough, pretty crass (unless its indeed just an optional courtesy feature, in which case I have no problem with it) but I see the Codex reactionaries have already taken the argument to its most hysterical reaches. Here is the funny thing, you righto*ds - this game contains a far more charitable and in-depth representation of your degenerate ideology than nearly anything that came before it. There are at least two instances in the previews where you can explore race realist ideas in a more or less balanced fashion (as balanced as a representation of your inanity can be, anyway) and your character can even come away 100% on board with them - one with the lorry driver and the other with Measurehead. You should be heralding the game as a machine for red pills for even giving you the time of day, but instead you reject it because of a few asterixes. Good riddance, I guess.

Another funny thing - if Prime Junta is wrong and the filter is indeed optional, that would be the second time he has accidentally misrepresented the game to seem *more* limited than it actually is (the first being the time he told us there are some checks that must be passed in order to progress.) So much for a shill, eh? :^)

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

asterix

Educated
I just read on the tolerant forum that they do in fact have a swearing filter in the game and the streamers were using it. Dunno if true

Here's the settings screen in its entirety, as per the streams:

FNiEeNm.png

I wonder if someone saw the asterisks part, took it to mean that all f-words can be similarly censored and is now gleefully spreading the news.

Which means all the people who don't want any fucks in their games are gonna be in for a surprise once they load this up.

bataille

Arcane
Man I was going to write out why I think this particular example of self-censorship is pointless and, ironically enough, pretty crass (unless its indeed just an optional courtesy feature, in which case I have no problem with it) but I see the Codex reactionaries have already taken the argument to its most hysterical reaches. Here is the funny thing, you righto*ds - this game contains a far more charitable and in-depth representation of your degenerate ideology than nearly anything that came before it. There are at least two instances in the previews where you can explore race realist ideas in a more or less balanced fashion (as balanced as a representation of your inanity can be, anyway) and your character can even come away 100% on board with them - one with the lorry driver and the other with Measurehead. You should be heralding the game as a machine for red pills for even giving you the time of day, but instead you reject it because of a few asterixes. Good riddance, I guess.

Another funny thing - if Prime Junta is wrong and the filter is indeed optional, that would be the second time he has accidentally misrepresented the game to seem *more* limited than it actually is (the first being the time he told us there are some checks that must be passed in order to progress.) So much for a shill, eh? :^)

Honestly, this sounds more like a cuno/cunoesse case than measurehead, i.e. the fantasy of a total, unrestricted id-rampage, not any substantial content of the particular transgression.

Why would it matter if you know what the character is going to say anyways? If you are set on being offended or whatever, fag or f*g shouldn't matter, since from what I have learnt from the Twitter mob it's all but intent, even if it wasn't intended.

Because hypocrisy is the tribute that vice pays to virtue. F*g tells the audience that you know it’s not nice to call people fags, which is what the people who’d object really care about. It’s a bright neon sign screaming “this is a depiction, not an endorsement.”

My argument against the whole asterix thing is actually from a left of center position - sure, I can see the "depiction not endorsement" argument for putting the asterix in but I think doing so also dilutes the impact of the word in a way that can be taken as downplaying its negative impacts and I personally find that distasteful. I think that if you are exploring a controversial position in earnest you shouldn't pull punches - imagine a serious drama about the horrors of American slavery with all the racist plantation owners literally calling Africans "n-words." It would come off as surreal and crass to me. I even think that ZA/UM's writers probably agree with me as they did not feel the need to have any such asterix-laden neon signs for the game's racial content, or indeed the mention of pederasty by the clearly homophobic Measurehead or the "liberast" label being brought up if not in the game then in blog posts (for those unfamiliar, the equivalent of "faggot" in post-soviet countries, or at least in Russian-speaking ones, is a variant of "pederast" - the implication being that homosexuals practice pedophilia - which I think carries with it way more harmful baggage than "faggot") and, if Prime Junta is correct, they only bothered to censor the f-slur because some Americans complained.

This seems like a very specific concession for the sake of either the game's twitch coverage or a publisher's/investor's pet issue. If ZA/UM's priority was the reduction of offense - which is an understandable priority if not one I share - then surely rewriting the slur out of the script entirely would be more prudent than keeping the script intact but leaving it obviously censored. Intuitively, I think that most people poised to take offense at the word's inclusion will still do so regardless of the censorship. The only other explanation I can think of is that ZA/UM were trying to be subversive: "we were told we can't have this word in the so we just bleeped it out instead of excluding it entirely so that everyone knows what we really meant."

Flower,be my glorious sex slave so i could punish you with my sweet sweet little nothings.

This is like the real-life version of "I want to have fuck with you." Fanta perfectly represents a low psych character, in the way of constant tantrums coupled with the inability to get laid.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
This is like the real-life version of "I want to have fuck with you." Fanta perfectly represents a low psych character, in the way of constant tantrums coupled with the inability to get laid.
Do you have problem with me getting in to larping psyhe :)?

So do you want to have sex with me?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom