Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Call me when the developers censor woke-approved slurs against white people and right-wingers, because I sincerely doubt they extended the same "courtesy" to non-leftists.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
Call me when the developers censor woke-approved slurs against white people and right-wingers, because I sincerely doubt they extended the same "courtesy" to non-leftists.
Censoring faggot gives it more power, we all know that things like cracker are hilarious and carry no weight, but if you say faggot people lose their shit

Prime Junta

Wow this discussion went places.

Try this on for size: it wasn’t bleeped out, they showed it to people, they got spooked and told them in no uncertain terms that if they don’t bleep it out, no high-profile streamer is going to play it.

1. Risk losing the only mass-market mechanism you can afford and face bankruptcy, depression, alcoholism, and eventually waking up in a trashed hotel room in your underwear and the mother of all hangovers?

2. Make a small concession to liberal sensitivities without changing the substance or content of the game - which was written, feature complete, partly voiced, and playable from start to finish at this time?

Tough choice — not being ironic here, it must have been a tough choice — and one I wish they hadn’t made, but you gotta cut them some slack.

They could have rewritten the dialogue to just not have the Bad Word like everybody else does and none of you snowflakes would have noticed. Leaving it in but bleeped out is a middle finger to the sensibilities it ostensibly protects.

In a perfect world they wouldn’t have done it. This world is not perfect.

Doma

Augur
umKXQLx.png

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
Big think from watching the cohhcarnage stream, visual calculus determined that the footprints were of a 200kg man, fat fuck shipyard owner was 200kg but cohhcarnage didn't pick up on it

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Here, a free PR statement by Haba Knyllarman consulting services.

The preview version has the censorship toggled on by default.

This is done due to popular streaming platform TOS. Racial slurs and homophobic words are instant cause for a ban there. It doesn't matter if the streamer says the word out loud themselves, if the word comes from the game voice-over or a song (or even in some cases, if the streamer's chat starts using the word).

In case of 'Disco Elysium' the word 'faggot' is fully voiced several times, which would lead into unfortunate termination of any streamer who happens to stream the game.

In the release version, this censorship can be toggled on from the settings, and by default the game ships with no censorship.

I'm waiting form my free copy with complementary blowjob, ZA/UM.

barghwata

Savant
Is it really that important that a game has some censored words in it? i mean is it really gonna bring an end to western civilisation or something?

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Censoring the word faggot is not an indictment of the game, it's an indictment of the studio producing it. Regardless of how good the game is, they will always have a strike against them (in that they're spineless cowards). I hope that the game is good though.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
Censoring the word faggot is not an indictment of the game, it's an indictment of the studio producing it. Regardless of how good the game is, they will always have a strike against them (in that they're spineless cowards). I hope that the game is good though.
Sure thing faggito

the mole

Learned
Shitposter

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Sure thing faggito
Imagine white-knighting a vide game company.
Imagine being a fag on the codex
I don't need to imagine I can just take it from you.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Is it really that important that a game has some censored words in it? i mean is it really gonna bring an end to western civilisation or something?
yes according to people here

If anything, the fact that people nowadays allow themselves to get triggered over small things like these is a better indicator that western civilisation is going to shit.
Only shitposters and trolls like Fanta were getting triggered. Saying censorship is bullshit for a post on a Codex thread and moving on isn't getting triggered.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
Sure thing faggito
Imagine white-knighting a vide game company.
Imagine being a fag on the codex
I don't need to imagine I can just take it from you.
But you're gay

bataille

Arcane
Here, a free PR statement by Haba Knyllarman consulting services.

The preview version has the censorship toggled on by default.

This is done due to popular streaming platform TOS. Racial slurs and homophobic words are instant cause for a ban there. It doesn't matter if the streamer says the word out loud themselves, if the word comes from the game voice-over or a song (or even in some cases, if the streamer's chat starts using the word).

In case of 'Disco Elysium' the word 'faggot' is fully voiced several times, which would lead into unfortunate termination of any streamer who happens to stream the game.

In the release version, this censorship can be toggled on from the settings, and by default the game ships with no censorship.

I'm waiting form my free copy with complementary blowjob, ZA/UM.

The word in question is said in the ambient ruckus the streikbrechers make, by the way, where it's not bleeped out. :oops:
When I played yesterday, I thought I misheard it, but it was repeated at regular intervals, every couple of minutes...

barghwata

Savant
yes according to people here

If anything, the fact that people nowadays allow themselves to get triggered over small things like these is a better indicator that western civilisation is going to shit.
Only shitposters and trolls like Fanta were getting triggered. Saying censorship is bullshit for a post on a Codex thread and moving on isn't getting triggered.

You're right let's move on.

So can anyone who watched the twitch stream tell me what they think of the game? i was curious, but i didn't want to watch it to not spoil myself.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
failing a check means you die basically from what i've seen, then again cohhcarnage made a retarded minmax build

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The word in question is said in the ambient ruckus the streikbrechers make, by the way, where it's not bleeped out. :oops:
When I played yesterday, I thought I misheard it, but it was repeated at regular intervals, every couple of minutes...
Maybe it's actually your very own thought cabinet that automatically censors in your mind all the words you hear and say if you play a guy with leftist tendencies. The more leftist you become the more words become censored.
And if you play a right-wing fascist it actually uses slurs more often, in bold capital letters.
That would be an interesting mechanism to say the least.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

So far the game seems to be doing OK in its mission to offend everybody. At last count:

- liberals, because it has "faggot" and race theory in it
- freeze peachers, because "faggot" -> "f****t"
- fash, because the race theory asserts the supremacy of haplogroup E1b1b rather than R1
- feminists, because "Inexplicable Feminist Agenda" is clearly problematic
- capitalists, because they're commies
- commies, because they're financed by a capitalist swine of the first order <--- yeah this fucking stung, although I shut up about it like a man, oh wait I'm grumbling about it now
- RPG fans, because no tactical combat
- Adventure game fans, because you can fail
- Girls, because you have to play as a gross drunk dude

Who's left?

Edit: Added RPG fans and adventure game fans, as per Jenkem's suggestion
Edit 2: Added girls as per Sailor Woedica 's suggestion

Last edited by a moderator:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
So far the game seems to be doing OK in its mission to offend everybody. At last count:

- fash, because the race theory asserts the supremacy of haplogroup E1b1b rather than R1
- commies, because they're financed by a capitalist swine of the first order <--- yeah this fucking stung, although I shut up about it like a man, oh wait I'm grumbling about it now

Who's left?
BBQ lovers.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth

Who's left?

RPG fans

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom