Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Elex

Arbiter
Not a single F news about gameplay yet, I suppose. Probably will be at that disgusting videogameslive bullcrap awards.

I'm desperate for gameplay news just so this thread stops being a big D&D lore circlejerk.
when they release gameplay every single post is going to be “BUTT IN ThE TAbLe tOp”

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Anyone thinking Larian will ditch their cartoonish artstyle approach and adopt one more grounded in functionality, reality and give us a throwback at the 90's rule book drawings, is delusional.
Delusional as the ones that expected Blizzard to make Diablo 3 visually and in spirit similar to Diablo 2 which was made by Blizzard North that had a totally different DNA.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Anyone thinking Larian will ditch their cartoonish artstyle approach and adopt one more grounded in functionality, reality and give us a throwback at the 90's rule book drawings, is delusional.
DOS2 is already less cartoony than DOS itself, less Blizzardly, less shiny and less saturated colors. That was an intentional move. And Divine Divinity is also even less cartoony, so grittier is possible.

But anyways, Forgotten Realms itself is a cartoony D&D setting. DOS2 type graphics are prefectly suited for it.

And BG2 itself is super cartoony in spirit: the companions are basically anime-tier, giggly cutesy unsufferable emotive cunts. So a realistic artstyle wouldn't fit.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
DOS2 is already less cartoony than DOS itself, less Blizzardly, less shiny and less saturated colors. That was an intentional move. And Divine Divinity is also even less cartoony, so grittier is possible.

Divine Divinity is the unique Larian game that i liked.

About Blizzard cartoony, Irvine Blizzard and Blizzard North generally uses compeltely different in artstyle.

iu

iu

I an an huge fan of Blizzard North. But think that Blizzard Irvine is responsible for a huge decline that affected not only the mmo market thanks to wow... I wish that their D3 version din't got canceled. An screenshot of Diablo 3 - Blizzard North version

And armor sets too. Armor on D1/D2 looks like armor. On D3, looks like Carnival suits. As for catoon graphics on Forgotten realms, depends. For eg, on BG1/2, here is how an armor looks like

iu

And on DOS2
iu

This not mentioning that armor is mechanically more akin to IRL armor in BG1/2, not only visually. Plate armor AC is better vs slashing than blunt weapons for eg. Armor in dos2 works is a more "wow like style" offering damage reduction.

I was with negative expectations about BG3 but i an now neutral.

Some art on modern D&D have cartoonish artstyle but i believe that is to avoid an new satanic panic...

Inehresa

Educated
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Armor in dos2 works is a more "wow like style" offering damage reduction.
This is incorrect, armor in DOS2 works like a additional health bar that also grants immunity to certain effects. This awful mechanic has nothing to do with damage reduction seen either in WoW or generally any other RPG.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
This is incorrect, armor in DOS2 works like a additional health bar that also grants immunity to certain effects. This awful mechanic has nothing to do with damage reduction seen either in WoW or generally any other RPG.

OMG. That is ridiculous. Armor in DOS1 was awful and they managed to make it worse on DOS2? I really miss when armor was used to deflect "blows". That is how armor works, from the ancient Greece to modern armored warfare...

Nines_Anarch

Learned
Tony DiTerlizzi should be a concept artist for this game...

I mean do you remember how awesome TD art for Planescape was?

039a9db81cdf63a09093d8ef62ea26f6.jpg

DiTerlizzi-DnD.jpg

Btw
tumblr_mtvur2ll0N1snl898o1_500.jpg

Which version do you preffer?

Evilution-Mind-Flayer.jpg

If I had to choose I would say 2nd Edition by Tony DiTerlizzi. IMO it's the most creative one.

5 th edition try to look too cool.
He really worked with the posture.

Posture is fine. I was complaining more about the shiny armor and how everything stylish and distinct from the older clothes is absent. Cool kids wear minimalism and I hate it.

I think the 3rd edition look is the best closely followed by the second edition.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
5 th edition try to look too cool.
He really worked with the posture.

Posture is fine. I was complaining more about the shiny armor and how everything stylish and distinct from the older clothes is absent. Cool kids wear minimalism and I hate it.

I think the 3rd edition look is the best closely followed by the second edition.
Well, IMHO he became less “for teenagers” in 5e. But sure the one from 3e is the best: freaked out dr. Zoidberg.

Deleted Member 16721

Speaking of cool art, I have the 3 Planescape bestiaries and they are full of neat character and monster art. I really enjoy reading them and seeing the lore behind the creatures. Recommended if you can find them and are interested in the Planescape setting.

McPlusle

Savant
Is it safe to assume this won't be directly based on any tabletop ruleset? That'd be a shame. I'd really love to see just one more AD&D 2e game. One with all of the supplement class kits. We never got ninjas or psionics in BG/IWD

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
RPG (DE)volution.

In 1990s, Armor was used to deflect blows. Then devolved into absorving an % of damage, doesn't matter if is against a knife or an warhammer. Then devolved agains to determine your charname's IQ/muscle mass(WoW), Larian managed to devolve it further by making armor an secondary health bar...

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I am rather ok with 5th edition as they rolled back all the retarded ideas and spellplague noone liked. The only thing I don't like is how they also rolled back wall of fathless and afterlife shit. The idea in 4th Ed. that adventurers, who do not want to worship gods or, like Planescape faction deem they not worty of worship, just vanish to some Great Unknown was okay for everyone, because it was a good compromise. Wall of fathless was a shitty and lazy concept, especially when you compare it to other descriptions of seemingly worthless fluff.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
FWIW they've been looking for contract testers and other QA related positions from last month.

https://larian.com/jobs/1cd40c60-87fb-4985-b82d-e03f2886f50e

With multiple awards to our name, Larian Studios has proven that we’re dedicated to delivering high-quality role-playing games. We are now looking for a Gameplay Tester to help test and improve our games. This is an initial 12 month contract.

Posts on Linkedin from QA leads directly refer this is for Baldur's Gate 3: https://www.linkedin.com/posts/anne...t-est-venu-activity-6577320833637724160-D4tC/

Ladies and Gents, now is the time to rejoice since Larian studios is now looking for gameplay testers to join their talented team and help them make Baldur's Gate 3 the best game it can possibly be. Be sure to check out our other openings to have the opportunity to be a part of the wonderful journey that will be the making of Baldur's Gate 3!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom