Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's play Berwick Saga (PS2 Strategy-RPG from the director of Fire Emblem 1-5)

Endemic

Arcane
The name Faramir also used in the Japanese version?

It is. ファラミア was his name in the Japanese script.

Regarding names, how do the translation works? Were the names already "European-flavored" in the Japanese version? Or is the translators tried to find European-sounding equivalents?

There are a few minor changes (Thaddy being the notable one), but the names are by-and-large identical. The place names on the map are the same in the untranslated game (with katakana added underneath them). If you've played or seen any other Kaga-led games, you'll notice he's a big fan of European mythology and names.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Regarding names, how do the translation works? Were the names already "European-flavored" in the Japanese version? Or is the translators tried to find European-sounding equivalents?

There are a few minor changes (Thaddy being the notable one), but the names are by-and-large identical. The place names on the map are the same in the untranslated game (with katakana added underneath them). If you've played or seen any other Kaga-led games, you'll notice he's a big fan of European mythology and names.

Not surprising considering the aesthetics of the game.

Endemic

Arcane
Update 72: Chapter 6 - On the Front Lines (Battle preparations)

part1uzkxd.jpg

Fewer deployment slots than the chapter 5 main mission, and I have to fit Esteban in as well. Before I do that, though, it's time to review the new store inventory.

Equipment and items

part2opj63.jpg

While the Stun Knife is a bit less accurate than the basic dagger, that 33% disarm chance can be useful when encountering enemies in Search hexes (since 5 rounds of combat give more activation opportunities).

part31cjke.jpg

We've already seen the Mithril Sword as part of Clifford's starting equipment, and it certainly performed well in his hands. The steep price tag means it isn't a no-brainer choice over the longsword or broadsword.

part46fkza.jpg

Like its sword counterpart, the Mithril Shield has a fairly high price tag. 7 defence, modest weight and good durability by shield standards is nice, but the level requirement of 15 for optimal use does limit its utility. Medium shields are generally a better option for most knights by that point.

part5lekn6.jpg

As the name suggests, the Killer Axe has a decent crit chance as one of its selling points. Accuracy is also above average. However, it is a rank 15 weapon, and even Dean will take some time to get to level 15.

part6ohj27.jpg

Ah, our good friend, blunt force. As a hard counter to armoured units (which includes Generals), the Hammer is a powerful combat tool. Aside from the high level requirement, it's rather heavy and a little inaccurate even for a trained axe user. The axe shop only sells one of these, if you want more you'll have to capture them (the first chance was on Vall last chapter).

All that said, Dean using this in conjunction with his desperation skill is extremely deadly - not much will survive two strikes of a hammer.

part7mwkbk.jpg

The Iron Lance is a basic jousting lance; as mentioned in a previous update, only Clifford can use these to begin with. Adel and Leon can equip them after promotion. Good positioning and attack timing are vital, given the inability to counterattack combined with very high weight.

part8l0jsw.jpg

While not a straight upgrade from earlier spears, the Mithril Spear does put out a fair amount of damage in the hands of an experienced knight (eg Clifford). It also lasts roughly twice as long as an iron spear, and is available in greater quantity than the wind spear.

part9dtkd4.jpg

Not a very creative name, but Strongbow might have been chosen as an obscure historical reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_de_Clare,_2nd_Earl_of_Pembroke

The strongbow presents a common tradeoff of more damage and durability for less accuracy. A level requirement of 12 is fairly modest though, and there are numerous ways for archers to increase their chances of hitting the target.

part10njjx9.jpg

A classic Chinese invention in real life, the Chu-ko-nu is a powerful repeating crossbow, with the drawback of being somewhat cumbersome to use. Sylvis can equip it right now, since she has Expert (which puts her effective level for weapon use at 17). Underlevelled characters (currently Christine in this playthrough) won't get the additional shots. Running out of ammunition is something you might also want to be mindful of, especially the arrows that have bonus magic damage.

part11ujjiw.jpg

Not much to say here, other than the + variants being in shorter supply than standard arrows.

part12u7jsz.jpg

These arrows stack with weapon crit, giving up to 51% crit chance with the killer crossbow. They're expensive and have low availability, of course.

part13lek9f.jpg

Awaken is the first of two new spells offered at the temple this chapter. Pretty straightforward.

part14huj8c.jpg

Lightning is the close range alternative to thunder. Best used when the enemy is already injured, to improve the chances of crippling them for capture.

part15clk0p.jpg

The panacea (or more literally, "curative potion") is rather expensive, but you may find it worthwhile if one of your stronger mercenaries gets crippled in an important battle.

There are also new crafting materials available for purchase at the atelier:

part16aokab.jpg

part17i4kmd.jpg

Battle Party

I'm going to be more frugal here, especially as mercenary prices have increased from them gaining levels (Sylvis now costs 2200, Volo charges 2450, etc). I will hire Volo to deal with the more difficult targets, as well as Dean (1270). Since this is an escape mission, Owen is a good choice - he only costs 395 as I hired him at the end of chapter 5. Likewise with Esteban, 330 instead of 660.

Ward can fill in the paladin role normally occupied by Clifford, and his guard skill will come in handy for protecting civilians. Elbert is still diligently working on promotion requirements, and provoke is much easier to use on defensive missions. Czene can take care of any search tasks and fetch the mithril. Christine and Sherlock round out the team for ranged support.

As luck would have it, there is an accuracy-boosting option on the Kingfisher's menu:

part18rhjlz.jpg

At a total cost of 4270, I buy it for all but Owen and Christine. Owen's focus will be healing, and Christine already has the aim + canto combination. Sherlock needs a new horse, so I assign him a thin one from my collection at the stable.

part19k6jx6.jpg

Reese gets a round shield as replacement for his broken perseid, and some spare swords to switch between depending on the situation at hand.

part20uekpc.jpg

I gave the wind spear to Ward as a backup, though I think he'll sticking to swords for the moment.

part21ksj65.jpg

Elbert won't be running out of spears any time soon, with another set of pilums and an iron spear in his bag as well.

part22wokne.jpg

Czene will benefit from the new stun knife when encountering enemies hidden in searchable locations.

part23nlktm.jpg

I've been neglecting Sherlock's training up to this point, so he gets a set of improved iron arrows.

part24qikd0.jpg

The rest of my good swords are on Volo; he also has a giant's brace and miracle charm (in bag) to use as required.

part250qjhh.jpg

Dean is assigned a backup iron axe just in case.

part26y7j6f.jpg

Esteban's starting bow is bad; I bought him an iron one so his accuracy is noticeably better now.

part271rk0n.jpg

I put the blessed brace on Owen to boost his healing potential; he also has some spare light magic in his bag, along with a vulnerary and fire spell.

part28dxj0a.jpg

Last but not least, Christine will be focusing on crossbows for now, with a spare iron crossbow in her bag. I let her carry a couple bows on the off-chance they come in handy.

Endemic

Arcane
Update 73: Chapter 6 - On the Front Lines (part 1)

Arriving at the town of Lebron, it looks like we have our work cut out for us. The remaining population (represented by the green NPCs) is quite spread out:

part1d1kv4.jpg

The escape point is at a southern corner of the map. There are shallows nearby, so enemies that make it that far could cut us off from the west.

part2o3jsm.jpg

This eastern road is one of the expected attack routes.

part3x7kkp.jpg

Gonzij is some distance away, mining ore next to the mountain, with a shop nearby. There is a chokepoint created by the bridge here, and two shallows as alternate river crossings:

part4roj44.jpg

There is another civilian near the western road, past the second bridge.

part59tkdq.jpg

After rearranging everyone, I begin the mission.

part6wwj8a.jpg

part7jmj87.jpg

Reese: This town of Lebron is the last major settlement that remains free. However, we are surrounded to the west, north and east, and the enemy has begun their advance.

part8gwjhe.jpg

Catherine: I refuse to flee before seeing to it that my people escape.

Reese: Please entrust that task to me. I will protect the townspeople. My knights will rally the people and oversee their evacuation.

Catherine: I worry that you might find that to be rather difficult... You see, the remaining townspeople no longer trust the military at all. The only person they would be likely to trust is myself, or my late husband, Duke Warrenheit...

part9xfjep.jpg

Meia: If you push yourself too hard, your life will be in danger! Please do as Lord Reese asks, and join the caravan back to Narvia.

Enid: Sister Meia, please go with Mother and leave the town together. Leave the citizens to me.

Catherine: What are you saying, Enid? As Lord Reese said, the Imperial Army is rapidly approaching! I need you to stay here, and then withdraw together with the Sinon Knights to be safe!

Enid: Mother, please listen to me. Half a year ago, Father ordered me to leave his side and flee to the Duchy of Narvia, and I obeyed... but I just can't do it anymore... I can't sleep at night worrying about you like this! I was so scared for you and Father, and then when he died, I... I didn't know what to do anymore... I'm not going through that again! I won't lose you, Mother!

Catherine: Enid... I'm sorry... You've been through so much... I'm sorry, my child...

Enid: Mother...!

The pair share a tearful embrace. A few minutes later, Reese gets back to the task at hand:

part10b5j70.jpg

Reese: In that case, Sister, I will entrust the Duchess's safety to you. Please take her and any other of her Grace's servants who remain, to the village of Torino. There, we will meet you tomorrow with the citizens of Lebron.

Catherine: Lord Reese, please look after Enid. She is still so young, and she cannot fight alone on the battlefield...

Reese: Your Grace, I swear it on my life and on the honour of the Knights of Sinon. However, the time will soon come when we will be forced to choose between the citizens and our own lives. When the Empire arrives, I will not hesitate to make that difficult choice.

Enid: Mother, I trust that Lord Reese will not betray his word. Please, I want you to trust him, too...

Catherine: ...I understand. Lord Reese, I place my faith in you. Everything... is up to you now.

part11jhkvk.jpg

Heh, I'll need to get Enid over to him as soon as possible.

part12jrjeq.jpg

None of the citizens will move until Enid talks to them. I'm planning on keeping all of them alive to meet the tactics ranking. In addition, killing or capturing the Imperial commander is required for the third point.

There's new music too.

Enid is sent to begin the evacuation:

part13ryjjw.jpg

Lebron citizen: ...I understand. You escape too, Lady Enid!

Enid: I will. I promise.

Volo and Esteban hold station, while Ward is dispatched to protect the NPC in the western sector of town.

part14k0kc8.jpg

As Catherine's group departs, Reese repositions to defend the eastern flank.

part156aj8e.jpg

Elbert, Dean and Christine form up to the north. Sherlock is sent to provide support to Ward.

part16djj8h.jpg

Czene searches the nearby house:

part16_1cnj2q.jpg

A pitchfork-wielding thug notices her.

part16_24jktv.jpg

Czene is hurt by the pitchfork in the ensuing fight, but manages to disarm Balmer with the stun knife.

part17jrksd.jpg

Nice, some loot.

part18jckgh.jpg

A level-up, too:

part19v8joi.jpg

At the end of turn 1, Imperial troops begin to arrive.

part20c9jlc.jpg

With a pilum ready, Elbert provokes the crossbowman.

part21yvjbg.jpg

Christine is struck by one of the spearmen. Dean moves in and eliminates the third enemy courtesy of Desperation:

part22ccjbs.jpg

After taking a shot with her crossbow, Christine falls back to a safer position.

part233njds.jpg

Enid continues to see the citizens to safety.

part245ujpz.jpg

Lebron citizen: I didn't want to leave, but... I trust you, Lady Enid.

Enid: Thank you.

Sherlock forms up with Ward:

part25a0koq.jpg

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Update 74: Chapter 6 - On the Front Lines (part 2)

Czene uses a vulnerary and moves towards Gonzij.

part19kk78.jpg

Reese, Volo and Esteban hold their ground in the east, while Elbert successfully dodges the crossbowman he provoked earlier:

part2k2ko9.jpg

Owen makes use of Physic's range to heal Christine from a safe position.

part38nj9l.jpg

The level-up gets him a single point of light skill.

part47nk2h.jpg

Turn 3 sees another group of Imperials arrive from the west:

part5huktf.jpg

Dean moves first to cut down the remaining spearman to the north.

part66rkpk.jpg

That takes him to level 8.

part7nzk9x.jpg

Arrowbane ensures that Elbert comes out on top.

part8cuku9.jpg

Czene collects the mithril:

part993kb2.jpg

Gonzij: Here, I dug it up a while ago. Take yer junk and get goin'!

In addition to the ore, Czene obtains some Mithril Dust from him, a crafting material that will be used later on.

Christine rejoins Elbert at the northern edge of town.

part10iijta.jpg

Sherlock skirmishes with the advancing spearmen:

part117aklt.jpg

Ward stays put to continue guarding the civilian, and Owen joins him.

Enemy forces join the fray from two different angles on turn 4.

part12lrjy7.jpg

part12_14lkol.jpg

I try the same tactic as before, with Elbert going first and provoking the crossbowman.

part1341jkm.jpg

Sherlock avoids a spear charge, and takes advantage of his double shot skill becoming available:

part14otj1u.jpg

Level 5 brings some stat increases.

part15skjy3.jpg

Rather than attack with Dean, I have him fall back. Ward takes a pilum hit while guarding, taking a bit more damage than usual as he doesn't block.

Enid asks Gonzij to evacuate.

part16n6j9i.jpg

part177uj7i.jpg

Gonzij: Imperial soldiers? Ha! Like I'd ever let 'em steal my secret to minin' platinum, either!

Enid: If you stay here, you'll be killed! You have to believe me! Please, listen to what I'm saying!

Gonzij: I've been minin' this spot since long before you were born, missy! Now grab a pick and start diggin'! Ain't no Imperial soldiers gonna get in the way of me and my platinum!

Enid: If it's that valuable, then the Empire will definitely come and take it away! So please... Listen to me! Run away before it's too late!

Gonzij: ...Wait a minute, I know you... You're Lady Catherine's kid!

Enid: Yes, my name is Enid.

Gonzij: Well, if ya really want me to... I guess I can put my work on hold. But as soon as it's safe, I'm comin' right back home, got it?!

Enid: Yes, of course...

Gonzij: All righty then! Guess I'll head out.

Enid: Thank you!

Meanwhile, on the other side of town, Ward continues to wall off attackers:

part18hck5r.jpg

Czene heads to the store.

part19qakmk.jpg

This is the only place to get the Mithril Sheet, so I lay down the money for them.

part204mks9.jpg

Christine makes a hit-and-run attack on an approaching spearman, followed by Owen healing Ward.

part21iwkdj.jpg

Elbert continues to dodge crossbow fire like a pro and throws a pilum in return. Over on the eastern road, Reese meets a spearman and cuts him down with Gram:

part222fkhu.jpg

8 strength is above average for Reese at this level.

part239sjuq.jpg

Volo deathmatches the next incoming soldier with a shortsword, taking a hit during the fight but gaining a point of sword skill as well.

part245zkfa.jpg

Endemic

Arcane
Update 75: Chapter 6 - On the Front Lines (part 3)

At the start of turn 5, there are multiple enemies in range:

part1lbjdn.jpg

Dean attacks first, making short work of another Imperial.

part2yljl9.jpg

The convoy lead by Catherine withdraws safely. Some of her people follow suit.

part397kjx.jpg

Sherlock takes a hit, but retreats a short distance and puts an arrow on target to dispatch his attacker.

part4r9k9d.jpg

To the east, Reese cuts down an approaching crossbowman:

part53tj0t.jpg

An Imperial's already worn crossbow gives out. I guess he was involved in heavy fighting immediately before arriving at Lebron.

part6ltkon.jpg

Christine and Elbert skirmish with Imperial troops in the north, while Sherlock receives some healing.

Czene makes her way back to town:

part7u9kqc.jpg

On turn 6, a mage arrives in the area.

part8mokp0.jpg

Hmm, this guy looks like he's recruitable.

part97zku9.jpg

part106mjjl.jpg

Let's check the objectives screen.

part11wnjne.jpg

Yup, I have to get Enid over there to talk to Percy.

A group of Imperial axemen also turned up:

part1288krm.jpg

One of them has a strong weapon, too.

i
part13vlk91.jpg

Dean continues his killing spree.

part148vjmb.jpg

Elbert blocks a crossbow shot, then gets back on his horse and equips a sword to eliminate the soldier that hit him:

part15rtjge.jpg

He then cantos back to the bridge.

Sherlock makes use of his one-two skill, but the second arrow misses:

part16kmkjw.jpg

Owen keeps himself busy.

part17mgjht.jpg

Christine continues her hit-and-run attacks.

part18xpkl6.jpg

Next turn, Elbert dismounts and lures one of the axemen towards him.

part19pgk1g.jpg

Dean's Vengeful ability kicks in, making this soldier regret his decision to strike:

part20uaj1n.jpg

Owen steps in to patch up Dean:

part21xrjjc.jpg

This time, Sherlock's aim is true and his target falls.

part22l5kn2.jpg

Elbert blocks an axe swing from the soldier he provoked, while Christine's crossbow breaks after her next shot.

part23ijkvg.jpg

Unfortunately, the very same Imperial heals himself with a vulnerary, undoing the effect of said attack.

As more citizens flee, Czene finds a crafting material in an abandoned house:

part24dcjog.jpg

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Update 76: Chapter 6 - On the Front Lines (part 4)

Advance elements of the Imperial army continue to trickle in:

part1nwkca.jpg

Time to recruit Perceval to our cause. Enid looks around, initially not seeing anyone.

part277jkg.jpg

Perceval appears from behind the scenery, taking her by surprise.

part3biksk.jpg

part49vje6.jpg

Perceval: Ha ha ha, there's no need to be so angry! I'm not with the Empire. I'm just passing through.

Enid: You're a traveler? But you don't have a weapon or anything to defend yourself...

Perceval: Sure I do, look.

part4_2gvjp8.jpg

Perceval: Turns out most people run away when you hit them with lightning.

Enid: That's incredible... You can use magic...

Perceval: You must not be used to seeing mages around here, huh? They're not that uncommon in Leia, back where I'm from.

Enid: Um... Is it difficult to use magic?

Perceval: Yeah. You have to be born with it, or else you can't even use it. Also, some people who have the gift can't use it until it's awakened by something.

Enid: .....

Perceval: Why do you ask? Are you interested in magic?

Enid: ...I want to become stronger. I'm trying to become a knight...

part4_3ghkdf.jpg

Indeed. That's why you start with only 4 strength and 3 defence ;) Anyway, I'll let Percy continue his explanation.

Perceval: In fact, women often make better mages than men do.

Enid: Really...?

Perceval: Now it's my turn to ask. Who are you?

Enid: Oh, I'm Enid Warrenheit. I'm the daughter of Duke Mikhail Warrenheit of the Lowlands. I'm here to help evacuate the people of this town.

Perceval: Oh? That's kind of you. Especially for a kid like you...

Enid: I am not a child! In fact, you look about the same age as me!

Perceval: Hah, sorry if I made you angry. Really! What can I do to make it up to you? Tell me.

Enid: Huh? Are you serious...?

Perceval: Sure, I'm in no hurry.

Enid: In that case, can you help me protect the people here as they evacuate?

Perceval: Yes, I can do that.

Enid: Great! Then I'll go and tell the commander about you. ...What's your name?

Perceval: I'm Perceval.

Enid: Perceval? That's a funny name...

Perceval: Well it's my name, and it's very important to me! The woman who found and raised me gave it to me.

Enid: O-Oh... I'm sorry... Let's start again, shall we? Nice to meet you, Perceval.

part560js2.jpg

Aside from giving us some insight into the two characters, this conversation strongly hints at Enid's potential. This is also reflected in her combat statistics: she is the only one so far to have 2 points in magic as a non-mage class (Larentia, Ruby and Faye have 1, everyone else has 0). I'll cover that in more detail in a future update, as I'm having Enid focus on the evacuation for now.

The choice of the name Perceval might be a reference to the the mythological figure: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perceval,_the_Story_of_the_Grail

As for why Enid makes fun of his name, that's down to the intentional misspelling of it in Japanese. ペルスヴェル instead of パーセプバル.

We'll now have his help defending the town. Before I get my next move, Elbert is hit:

part6m0kpa.jpg

Christine provides covering fire with her crossbow, not doing much damage but breaking an enemy shield in the process.

part6_2q0kzj.jpg

Dean lands the lethal strike:

part7d9j5e.jpg

Elbert saddles up, throws a pilum at the axeman that attacked him, then falls back into the town centre. Owen is thus close enough to use mend rather than physic.

part8llke0.jpg

Reese, Sherlock and Perceval fall back behind the bridges as well. On turn 9, Reese makes the first attack, cutting down his opponent with ease thanks to Gram + adept:

part9ivj7y.jpg

He then cantos back to block the bridge.

Dean uses desperation to get rid of the next Imperial in range, taking an injury in the process.

part10yekqw.jpg

Physic once again shows its utility here, as Owen can heal from relative safety across the river.

part111dkrt.jpg

Enid continues to evacuate the citizenry:

part127hkf7.jpg

Lebron citizen: If you're leaving, Lady Enid, then I guess I'll follow you.

Enid: Thank you. There isn't much time, so please hurry.

Elbert switches to an iron spear to attack the incoming crossbowman. Thanks to 3 different bonuses (Kingfisher, Reese's commander skill, Christine support) he has almost perfect accuracy.

part13dsj8o.jpg

Teamwork dispatches the enemy.

part14vujky.jpg

Ward is now free to reposition, as the NPC he was protecting is heading for the escape point.

part15b3ka0.jpg

Esteban, Volo and Czene hold position to screen their side of the battlefield.

part16r8j6o.jpg

On turn 10, a larger group of Imperial soldiers arrive from two different directions:

part17b8knp.jpg

part18ldkvr.jpg

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Update 77: Chapter 6 - On the Front Lines (part 5)

Owen gets Dean back to full health, while Sherlock makes use of double-shot as it becomes available. Unfortunately, both arrows are blocked by the advancing spearman:

part1n9jem.jpg

Volo joins in as well, getting a crit but falling short of a kill. Reese has better luck on the northern side of the battle.

part2qbkbn.jpg

Elbert readies his spear and charges at the nearby raze monk, but the latter evades. This draws the attention of the other soldiers, but they don't inflict significant damage.

Dean wipes out the crossbowman with help from adept activating.

part3t8jp7.jpg

Now he can use the hatchet without penalties.

part40jji5.jpg

Next turn, Gonzij makes it to safety:

part59gj4d.jpg

Sherlock finishes off the enemy he attacked last turn.

part6sbkc0.jpg

Gram is a crit machine right now.

part7c0k35.jpg

More speed.

part8wtjau.jpg

Volo holds the line.

part943k3j.jpg

He then dodges a spear charge and counterattacks. Enid begins the final phase of evacuation:

part10a4kgc.jpg

Enid: Please, flee from here! I wil be evacuating, too.

Lebron citizen: All right, Lady Enid. I will.

It takes Elbert, Christine and Dean to cut down this axeman due to shield blocks.

part117qk2k.jpg

On turn 12, the quality of Imperial troops begins to increase:

part11_127jw5.jpg

This axe soldier in particular could be dangerous.

part13x6km0.jpg

part126vktx.jpg

The archer next to him has a composite bow and overwatch.

part143jk0j.jpg

To the north, there is a marksman with a multishot crossbow:

part15o4j8x.jpg

part165ikop.jpg

This guy has a unique portrait. Must be important in some way... maybe I should try capturing him.

part17ewjnp.jpg

Again, the amount of crits Reese is getting from Gram is impressive.

part180ujde.jpg

The spearman that attacked Volo last turn retreats to use a vulnerary. Instead of pursuing, I have Ward guard Volo and wait for the Imperials to advance.

part19iajvn.jpg

I guess this would be a good time to discuss Enid's abilities briefly.

part20kzkup.jpg

Statistically she's rather weak, besides magic. Her sword offsets that somewhat. As the name suggests, it's locked to female characters. While the crit (the Japanese name implies it's poisoned in some way) makes it seem rather strong, you only get 2 more of them across the whole campaign.

part21qbkkh.jpg

Charisma is a small but welcome boost. Paragon of course makes training her easier, given how experience points work. I think the choice of these skills is also fitting story-wise, which will become more apparent after the mission.

Since I haven't done this yet, there is an alternate save feature I'll show off now:

part22p2jk8.jpg

Suspend works like the save and exit option in roguelikes. You can only have one of these saves active at a time for a mission.

part23uejdg.jpg

When you click on a memory card file that has suspend data in the load menu, you'll be prompted to resume it:

part24msk41.jpg

After the save is loaded, the suspend data is erased.

part25ibjuu.jpg

Sherlock misses a shot, but his one-two skill is available this turn and allows him to try again:

part26xrj85.jpg

Ward blocks incoming attacks, as Christine and Elbert mop up on the other side of town.

part27fzjs9.jpg

Another one bites the dust.

part28yhj4s.jpg

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've been meaning to ask, is there a post-battle screen showing the number of kills? And stats for the characters?

Endemic

Arcane
I've been meaning to ask, is there a post-battle screen showing the number of kills?

The unit list will show details of killed\captured\defeated enemies, which you can check in-mission. If you mean an X-COM style one, no. That's only at the end of the game.

And stats for the characters?

There is a history graph for level-ups (and projected stats), if that's what you mean.

baud

Arcane
Patron
I've been meaning to ask, is there a post-battle screen showing the number of kills?

The unit list will show details of killed\captured\defeated enemies, which you can check in-mission. If you mean an X-COM style one, no. That's only at the end of the game.

ok. I was asking because for some mission the enemies were falling right left and center and I was wondering about the final tally for those missions.

And stats for the characters?

There is a history graph for level-ups (and projected stats), if that's what you mean.

I was more asking for per-characters missions done and kils, like in X-COM

Endemic

Arcane
Ok. I was asking because for some mission the enemies were falling right left and center and I was wondering about the final tally for those missions.

Chapter 4 and 5 main missions have about 55-60 enemies. The game does internally track the stats you're asking for, but without a lot of assembly coding, there's no way of displaying specific characters' kills per mission.

I can manually tally them for you if you like, but that might be a while since I'd have to check hundreds of screenshots ;)

baud

Arcane
Patron
Ok. I was asking because for some mission the enemies were falling right left and center and I was wondering about the final tally for those missions.

Chapter 4 and 5 main missions have about 55-60 enemies. The game does internally track the stats you're asking for, but without a lot of assembly coding, there's no way of displaying specific characters' kills per mission.

I can manually tally them for you if you like, but that might be a while since I'd have to check hundreds of screenshots ;)

No need

Endemic

Arcane
Update 78: Chapter 6 - On the Front Lines (part 6)

Percy targets the axe soldier, but only hits with one of his two dire thunder strikes.

part12wk4v.jpg

The nearby spearman strikes Volo, leaving him at 50% hp. Sherlock gets lucky and inflicts an injury:

part2xik5k.jpg

Czene attacks the now defenceless axeman, but inflicts scratch damage. Volo goes for the cripple but no dice.

Meanwhile, Christine dodges a spear charge and counterattacks. I have her switch to a weaker arrow to facilitate capturing her attacker, which works:

part3glj45.jpg

Outnumbering the enemy forces for the time being gives me initiative, so I decide to let Enid have a try at finishing off the unarmed soldier.

part4a7k2w.jpg

Thanks to paragon, this nets her 42 xp. Elbert re-positions to cover the southwestern bridge. My overconfidence is punished by the overwatch archer moving to fire on Enid.

part5oikly.jpg

Another civilian NPC escapes. Ward is tasked to keep Enid safe:

part6qjk70.jpg

Reese captures the wounded spearman.

part7c9ku3.jpg

Hmm, we might be seeing more of him after the mission...

Dean moves to support Elbert's defense of the bridge. On turn 14, Theodore and Minas arrive:

part8ssj4o.jpg

part97lkxf.jpg

Theodore: .....If they do not resist us, then we will have no need to fight them, yes? That should suffice for our mission. Come, let us be off.

Minas: ...Yes.

Theodore is one tough cookie:

part10f8j11.jpg

part11kqj91.jpg

Minas has a crossbow with elemental arrows loaded.

part12hzj3x.jpg

She also has supporter, of course.

Sherlock's accuracy is still a bit shaky, so only one of his double-shot arrows hits the target. The latter strikes at Percy, who I immediately move out of range of the bowman.

part13lgkz1.jpg

Owen steps in to heal.

part14askdm.jpg

Ward blocks the arrow intended for Enid. She crits on her move:

part15hkk78.jpg

I try injuring the now isolated spearman, without success. Theodore and Minas stay out of range, so I opt for a defensive formation behind the bridge:

part16nnjre.jpg

As turn 15 begins, I take a chance and order Enid to attack. The gamble pays off.

part17hbkga.jpg

That's a pretty impressive level-up.

part186yk7s.jpg

Owen heals Volo, while Theodore aims his lance charge at Ward:

part196tktj.jpg

The latter blocks with his shield, but still takes some damage. Despite consecutive attacks from Reese, Dean and Christine, Theodore's armour and shield prove quite resilient.

part2094jj7.jpg

Next turn, better equipped Imperial troops join the battle, approaching from all directions.

part21r4j5t.jpg

part222jkmr.jpg

part239hkzb.jpg

The crossbowmen in particular look threatening with their multishot weapons:

part24gojqa.jpg

I'm going to need crits or Percy's thunder magic to deal with these two. Deathmatching with Volo would be too risky.

part25mak5l.jpg

After he is struck by Dean again, Theodore opts to use a vulnerary. Reese takes the opportunity to capture Minas with the net he was provided.

part2691kxx.jpg

part27pokgj.jpg

Endemic

Arcane
Update 79: Chapter 6 - On the Front Lines (part 7)

Ward uses the wind spear to dispatch a crossbowman in one hit:

part1l4k6w.jpg

As Reese and company continue to fight at the southwestern bridge, it's time for Enid to evacuate.

part20ckuf.jpg

Owen's leveling up fast.

part3z6jhs.jpg

Christine rides to the north, preparing for a hit-and-run attack on the incoming Imperial foot soldiers. Elbert carries out the same to the east. Esteban and Czene are ordered to retreat towards the escape point.

On turn 17, Reese chases Theodore:

part4ouk3s.jpg

Sherlock shifts over to help Elbert, who is taking ranged fire.

part5hmkot.jpg

The armour knights come into range, so Percy casts thunder at one of them.

part6hijp8.jpg

Ward puts an end to Theodore's participation in the battle.

part72ajh6.jpg

Elbert gets another kill, but breaks a longsword in the process:

part88hjo1.jpg

He's met the level requirement for promotion; just needs the weapon skills at 20 now.

part9ynk2v.jpg

Imperial forces continue to arrive in the vicinity on turn 18.

part101rjdk.jpg

The raze monk and guardian are serious threats:

part11ivkv9.jpg

part120djys.jpg

The trio of mercenaries in the southwest will be difficult to hit with their high speed.

part1301ks8.jpg

In the east, mounted knights are moving in.

part14a1j9f.jpg

Christine goes first, taking out the enemy she attacked last turn.

part15s8kg1.jpg

Reese falls back slightly for healing:

part16zhk5l.jpg

Percy and Ward make use of magic damage to fell the first armour knight.

part17dnj09.jpg

Volo kills the other with his rapier.

part18p0jxp.jpg

Sherlock hits both times with double-shot. His longbow breaks, but it does lead to a level-up:

part19fyjyh.jpg

part20z8j57.jpg

Dean uses desperation with his broadaxe to cut down the knight who crossed the bridge.

part21v8jpq.jpg

Elbert switches to another sword to eliminate a spearman.

part22x9kiq.jpg

The cavalry opt to hang back instead of attacking. On the following turn, Reese uses Gram to notch up another kill:

part236sk4v.jpg

Owen brings Dean back up to full hp, so the latter can attack the raze monk. He falls just short.

part24gvjc9.jpg

Christine remedies that.

part259mkjv.jpg

Just a point of crossbow skill for level 6.

part265pkpx.jpg

Elbert uses up a concoction to heal, since Owen has to leave.

The Imperial commander joins the battle personally, along with additional troops on turn 20:

part27qlkt1.jpg

Nice beard there, Ortmann.

part28wrjaz.jpg

Can I defeat him and still escape in time? We'll find out soon in the next update. ;)

Endemic

Arcane
Update 80: Chapter 6 - On the Front Lines (part 8)

Reese remarks that time is running short:

part13ajry.jpg

Ortmann is definitely a step up in challenge over Lyarc, and he also has the commander skill.

part2l1k0n.jpg

The two soldiers next to him aren't pushovers either.

part3egkrn.jpg

part4gqjty.jpg

More troops have arrived from the north and east:

part5objob.jpg

part673j85.jpg

Including multishot crossbows.

part7ybj4t.jpg

Volo equips a rapier and miracle charm, then initiates a deathmatch with Ortmann.

part8epkpg.jpg

Hopefully it won't be Volo that dies here. Oh...

part9i3k6l.jpg

Seven hits and no crits with a rapier? The RNG sure had it in for him. To top it off, he is soon overwhelmed:

part10jnje6.jpg

Okay, I'll reload and try a different approach. Elbert moves first this time.

part11a2j7h.jpg

Reese and company soften up Ortmann along with his escort.

part12ufjzd.jpg

On the following turn, the retreat begins. Volo manages to kill Ortmann:

part13rxjns.jpg

Unfortunately, he's correct. I didn't buy Volo an escapestone, so he won't be able to withdraw in time - at 4 hexes per turn he will fall significantly short.

In the ensuing chaos, Sherlock gets hit and his horse is killed.

part14i2jth.jpg

Reese, Ward, Elbert, Sherlock and Volo fail to escape in time.

part15xbja8.jpg

Of course, Reese and\or Ward being left behind is an instant game over. Time to try again...

Volo defeats Ortmann in single combat, but Ward is struck down by the nearby armour knight:

part166ukyy.jpg

At this point I realise the party I brought just isn't up to the task, although my positioning wasn't the best. Having, for example, Sherpa and\or Clifford would have made dealing with the turn 20 enemies a lot easier. A bit more in the way of equipment also makes a big difference - even a few vulneraries may have bought me enough time.

Since I'm not going to replay the whole mission, I'll concede here and flee without fighting Ortmann. As Reese's group falls back, Christine takes aim with her crossbow and cuts down a spearman:

part1729k16.jpg

Sherlock takes a few potshots but doesn't hit his target, and cantos back to the river crossing. Reese kills one of the mercenaries and gains a level.

part18jvjkk.jpg

part19zcj4q.jpg

Owen makes his exit.

part20ank87.jpg

Esteban and Czene make it to the escape point, but wait for their comrades to regroup with them.

part21byk8w.jpg

Christine and Elbert stall the advancing Imperials, gradually retreating. Reese crits enemy infantry with Gram:

part22vkjqd.jpg

This particular knight had a droppable iron spear, which will be useful for training. The enemy force closes into the town centre.

part23z0jqo.jpg

On turn 23, the Sinon Knights begin withdrawing from the area.

part24q0k7p.jpg

As the Imperial troops give chase, Volo and Dean are the last to leave.

part25c3jk5.jpg

However, there is one more problem...

part26t7jxm.jpg

Endemic

Arcane
Update 81: Chapter 6 - On the Front Lines (ending)

part1p8koz.jpg

Seems that he's gotten lost:

part2uwk50.jpg

Esteban: Did I fall too far behind?

An arrow slices through the air nearby. He looks around in confusion.

Esteban: Drat, where did that come from?! Right...? Left...?

A female voice responds from the trees.

Unknown archer: Surrender, and I'll spare your life.

Esteban: ...!

part3a5jx9.jpg

Esteban: ...I won't let myself be captured. You'll have to kill me.

Sophie: ...Drop your bow.

Esteban: ......

Sophie: I said drop it!

Esteban: If you want it... come and take it!

Sophie: Don't move--!

She fires an arrow into Esteban's arm before he can fully turn around.

part4y5kr3.jpg

Esteban: Gah...

Sophie: Your right shoulder's bleeding badly... At this rate, you'll...

Esteban: ...A-Arina...

Sophie: Arina?

Esteban: I promise... I'll come back home...

Sophie: I see... She must be his lover... That's why he was so desperate...

:lol:

Her thoughts are interrupted by a shout.

part5swk2p.jpg

Sophie: The enemy...?! They must be looking for him... I hope this tourniquet works...

She pauses while applying it.

Sophie: I pray you'll make it home to the one waiting for you.

As Sophie slips away into the forest, Esteban regains consciousness:

part66jjkb.jpg

Esteban: Someone's bandaged my arm... With a... lacy handkerchief...? Did a woman do this...?

Ward: Esteban, there you are!

Esteban: General Ward! Why did you come back for me? I must have fallen far behind...

Ward is distinctly unimpressed and responds with a punch.

part7oaj9o.jpg

Ward: Go on, get moving! Lord Reese is waiting! We don't have all day, boy!

Esteban: .....

Some time later, Sophie reports back from her mission:

part8k4jvz.jpg

Luveil: I see... Then there's still room for improvement. But why did you allow the enemy to escape? Explain that to me.

Sophie: ...! Sister, were you spying on me?!

Luveil walks up and delivers a ferocious slap, catching Sophie off-guard.

part9l6kdu.jpg

Luveil: I don't recall ever allowing you to address me as your sister! My family is one of nobles! The House of Harus is compromised of respectable, upstanding citizens! Don't you dare act like you could ever be a part of that, you filthy maid's bastard!

Sophie says nothing, fearful of angering Luveil further.

Luveil: ...Because you cannot be trusted, I sent a subordinate to watch you. Do you have any complaints about my methods?!

Sophie: None... The enemy was a simple mercenary. I did not believe Father would be satisfied, so I let him go.

part10fckvt.jpg

Luveil: Father's experimental bow is complete. All that remains is to prove that it works, and he will be rewarded! Yet it seems that being a guinea pig has proven too difficult for you!

Sophie: .....

Luveil: Father's wanton leniency with you continues to astonish me... That filthy maid tempted Uncle for his money, and yet Father took you in, their shameful spawn! Just remember this, Sophie... You will never be one of us. Father can say what he likes, but I will never acknowledge you!

part113njif.jpg

Well, that was an interesting glimpse into Imperial society. At the same time, another debrief is happening at Roswick's residence:

part12foknz.jpg

Reese: You need not thank me, Your Grace. I simply fulfilled the duty that was required of me. Now then, I beg my leave. Good day, Duke Roswick.

Roswick doesn't reply, seemingly deep in thought as Reese leaves. After returning to his study, he is interrupted by a familiar face.

part13bbkcb.jpg

Roswick turns to greet her.

Roswick: Ah, Enid... How is Catherine? Is she receiving adequate treatment?

Enid: Yes, thanks to Madam Quescria, she is recovering wonderfully. I was told she will be well enough to leave the hospital in 2 or 3 months.

Roswick's expression becomes more pensive as he replies.

Roswick: So many difficult things have come to pass in this family recently... Catherine must be suffering just as much as we are, perhaps even more so...

Enid: Grandfather, there's something I want to ask of you...

Roswick: You are asking it of me? This is quite unexpected. Is there something you want me to buy for you?

part14ywjzi.jpg

Enid: Yes... He scolded me not to ask the impossible of him.

Roswick: A natural reaction... I hear you then asked Vanmilion to put in a good word for you instead.

Enid: Uncle Vanmilion was so furious with me after I asked him... I've never seen him look so frightening in my whole life...

Roswick: Yet you still wish to fight under Lord Reese's command, don't you?

Enid: Yes, I haven't given up!

part15fkj1o.jpg

Roswick: As a soldier of Sinon, you will bear witness to the truth of war.

Enid: Really?! To be honest, I thought you would refuse me in an instant...

Roswick: And if I had refused you? What would you have done then?

Enid: If you had... Maybe I would have given up...

Her insincere answer is met with a hearty laugh.

Roswick: You can't fool me! You wouldn't have been daunted in the least! ...Even if it means entrusting your safety to another, I will accept it. Who knows? Perhaps Lord Reese will make a knight out of you after all. In fact, I hope he does.

He smiles and continues.

Roswick: You are special, Enid. It seems destiny is calling you.

part16igky1.jpg

Roswick: If you have the will and the ability, the Duchy could be rebuilt. Even if there is only a glimmer of hope in this war, I still believe you can do it, Enid.

Enid: Grandfather...

Roswick's change of mind gives me the impression that there's something he is withholding here.

Meanwhile, at Barselphon's residence:

part17u1j0a.jpg

Minas: I would rather you end this now than disgrace me further... Please spare me from the pain of becoming a slave...

Reese: ...Actually, I just want you to answer a few questions of mine. First, tell me about your relationship with a man named Th--

Barselphon enters the room and interjects.

part185gklt.jpg

Minas: ...! Barselphon, why are you here...?

Barselphon: My apologies for the trouble, Lord Reese. As you can see, Lady Minas is still in shock and very confused. I shall do all that I can to calm her back down to her lovely self. I regret that I can only thank you with the gift of these war funds.

Reese: ...but Barselphon, this is a large sum of money!

Barselphon: In comparison to how the two of us have suffered thus far, it is nothing. Thanks to you, Minas and I will finally be able to spend our days together as we always dreamed... at last.

Minas: .....

part19ywkoz.jpg

Well, that is a lot of money. Later that evening, Reese discusses the matter with Tianna...

part20gmkbb.jpg

Reese: All in all, it was quite an interesting experience.

Tianna: .....

Reese: ...Tianna?

Tianna: Lord Reese, don't you think that this all sounds a little too strange?

Reese: Which part?

Tianna: When Minas saw Barselphon again for the first time... Do you suppose she was merely surprised, or was she fearful?

Reese pauses, before a realisation hits him.

Reese: ...No...

His investigation of Barselphon's home turns up nothing.

part21ynk30.jpg

Tianna: Lord Reese, no one is here. They seem to have fled in a rush...

Reese: What about the box... The box that knight dropped?

He discovers a letter inside.

part22z9kxw.jpg

part23ewj8j.jpg

part24qyjba.jpg

Along with something else:

part254tjrw.jpg

Reese: What have I... What have I done...

Tianna: Lord Reese, I will focus all my efforts on searching for Lady Minas. Please try not to torture yourself about this...

Hmm. That Barselphon constructed an elaborate falsehood wasn't too surprising I guess, but the inspiration for his name is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baal-zephon

What's also interesting is Minas's response to being captured. Was she told that the Berwick League takes slaves? Or is it something she expected based on standard Imperial practice?

Next update, we'll be catching up with some familiar faces as well as the new cast. See you there ;)

Endemic

Arcane
Update 82: Chapter 6 - On the Front Lines (ending, continued)

part1rxk91.jpg

part2fak2t.jpg

Danton: That man's been mining mithril since the days when my father ran this atelier. Gonzij must have worked at that mine in Lebron for at least fifty years now... The mine he works in doesn't really specialize in mithril - he's on the hunt for platinum, which is many times rarer than mithril. All the mithril he sells is actually just a byproduct from trying to find platinum in the ore he digs up.

Tianna: Really? So his main focus is platinum?

Danton: Yep, if Gonzij knew that I considered him a big name in the mithril business, he'd likely be none too happy about it!

Tianna: How amusing...

Danton: What's more, that mine hasn't hit any veins of platinum in decades, but he still keeps on digging every day. Even at his age, he's still got a dream he's working toward. Ain't that something?

Tianna: Quite so.

Danton: Fifty years, through wind, rain and snow, he's worked there...and he's still focused on the same goal he's had all that time. What a passion, eh?

Tianna: It is quite inspiring, in its own way. He has unfalteringly worked with love and dedication for his dream.

Danton: Aye, he's a man to be respected... Thanks for delivering the mithril all the way here, Lady Tianna. With this, I'll be able to make Lord Vanmilion his shiny new sword. Here's a reward as thanks for your and Lord Reese's trouble. I know it's not much, but I hope you'll take it.

part36nkzo.jpg

part4sejvr.jpg

Wrapping up the citizen requests, Tianna visits the Kingfisher:

part5j3jd0.jpg

Marybelle: If anyone can do it, Lady Tianna and the Sinon Knights can.

Moniz: My granddaughter's wedding day is coming up soon... Will she make it in time?

part6phjll.jpg

Moniz: I-It's you...!

Tianna: My companions were able to pick up the hairpin and deliver it here. I trust you will be happy with it?

Moniz: O-Of course! With this, I'll be able to give my granddaugher the gift she deserves!

Tianna: I'm glad to hear it. I pray that she has a blessed future.

Moniz: Thank you for caring about an old geezer like me and doing all this... You're a real child of Veria.

Tianna: No, no, all that I did was ask for a favour from my superiors.

Moniz: I must object, good lady! If you hadn't stopped to listen and offer a friendly hand, I never would have gotten my granddaughter's hairpin!

Tianna: Think nothing of it. You can simply pay it forward...

Moniz: No, I want to make it up to you with some kind of reward... Here, take this.

Tianna: A gemstone...? But this is very valuable!

Moniz: Nah, take it! I got it cheap as a favour from a merchant friend of mine. I'd feel awful if I didn't give you something... Especially after you and your friends went through all that for me.

Tianna: All right. Thank you very much.

Moniz: No, thank you! You're the real jewel, Lady Tianna!

part7hcjsb.jpg

Then a quick stop at Erzheimer's to trade him the Scylla orb:

part8k7j10.jpg

part9g8jry.jpg

part10ckj56.jpg

Time to catch up with Adel.

part113ojvs.jpg

:lol: That's some interesting dating advice there Leon.

part12blk7x.jpg

:hahano: Sure, and I can sprout wings to fly, Leon.

Leon: ...What?!

Adel: Why on earth did I listen to you? Why would I say something so stupid to her? She must be disgusted with me...

Leon: ...Still, there's a clear message you can take from all this.

Adel: Really? What's that?

Leon: This just means she never cared about you in the first place. Now that you know that, you can formulate a different plan of attack!

Adel: ...Leon, are you trying to make an even bigger fool out of me? No more plans or tricks. I'm giving up on her.

:(

Leon: C'mon, Adel! You can't give up so easily! Haven't you ever heard the phrase "Nothing ventured, nothing gained"?

part13vokv6.jpg

I like this reference to his combat skill. Though of course, the metaphor flies over Adel's head :)

Adel: I can't be like you, Leon. I can only be myself.

Leon: You'll never get Lumiere to fall for you if you keep being yourself! She's a popular girl in this city. She's got brains, a pretty face, and a damn fine body, if I do say so myself. I hear there are rich boys from all across town lining up to pop the question to her. What have you got that they can't already give her, huh? You couldn't compete with guys like that in a million years! The only way you're gonna get this girl is if you seize the initiative and strike first!

part14lgjn7.jpg

Hey, that's not true. You have vantage, right? Strike first, as Leon put it ;)

Adel: I'm done...I'm through with this, Leon...

part15f3jjl.jpg

Looks like Adel passed out, heh. I guess he can't hold his liqour that well. :P

Leon: Alex, another round! I need a drink after trying to talk some sense into this blockhead...

Alex: Sure thing. What's the deal with Adel?

Leon: He's all by his lonesome tonight, stricken with a broken heart. As my best friend, his joy is my joy, but his sadness is also my sadness...

Alex: ...but you don't look so sad, Leon... In fact, you seem pretty happy about what happened with Adel.

Leon: Hey, not so loud. He's right here, y'know.

Alex: True, but it looks like he's already fallen asleep.

Leon: Oh... Huh. Well, this kind of thing only happens once in a blue moon! This uptight guy, falling in love? The Goddess must be playing some kind of trick on us mere mortals! Heh...heh heh... ...Ahahahahaha!

Alex: .....You feeling all right, Leon? You're acting strange...

Perhaps he needs to sober up a bit... Moving on, time to meet Perceval and see what his deal is:

part16fwk7r.jpg

Reese: What are you doing here? Have you joined the guild?

Perceval: Yes, I plan to live in Navaron for a while, and I need to work if I want to have enough to eat.

Reese: Are you here on some sort of personal business?

Perceval: I'm looking for someone... When I was young, I was separated from my older sister. A seeress from my homeland divined that she had come to a large city in the south, so here I am.

Reese: I see... I would like to help you if I could, but I suppose you're the only one who could recognize her... How long has it been since you last saw your sister?

Perceval: It's been about ten years now. Our village in Leia was burned down soon after the war began. I was six, and she was eight. If I met her today, I don't know if I'd be able to tell it was her...

Reese: You have no other clues? What about her name?

Perceval: I had a bad head injury when I escaped, and I can't remember her name anymore... All I have is this. She gave me this icon when we were running, and that was the last time I saw her.

Ward: Oho! A carving of Saint Leia, if I'm not mistaken. What a finely crafted piece... Certainly the work of an artisan.

Perceval: My father was a wood-carver. He gave that to my sister. If she saw it now, I'm sure that she would still recognise it.

Ward: However, there are countless orphaned young women in Navaron who would be about her age... Finding your sister among them will be no easy task.

Reese: Perceval, I have an idea. My secretary Tianna is well-connected. With her help, you may find your sister sooner than you expect.

Perceval: Thank you very much! In the meantime, I will be working here for quite a while, I imagine. If you're in need of a mage, please consider hiring my services.

Reese: I'm sure that I will. We could always use another mage.

part17cbj2w.jpg

Two more scenes, at the abbey. I'll look at Enid's one first.

part189djzb.jpg

Enid: Yeah, she's been feeling much better. She says that it's all thanks to you, Lord Reese.

Reese: That's not true. It's because of you that your mother and the people of Lebron escaped.

Enid: Um...I talked to my grandfather, and...

Reese: Yes, I heard the news. I must admit, I never expected Duke Roswick himself to ask me!

part19fvk5g.jpg

Heh. Too bad we don't know what exactly Roswick told him about Enid.

Enid: Although I'm still just a learner, so I'm more like a little knightling at this point... but I'm going to be the best woman knight you've ever seen, Lord Reese!

Reese: What?! Ha ha ha ha...!

Enid: Why are you laughing? Lots of famous knights are women!

part206qk14.jpg

Interesting example you bring up, Enid. Unfortunately she's wrong about the "lots" part. I can count them on one hand so far, even if we're being generous and include Ruby.

Reese: It sounded a lot like something my younger sister Lynette would say. Very cute, much like her.

Enid: Your little sister...? Do I resemble her?

Reese: Yes, in a way. She's about your age, too... I can definitely see it. You're similar, but there's something different I can't quite place...

Enid: Hee hee... You're funny, Lord Reese. All I had to do was say a word, and now you're so deep in thought.

Reese: I suppose. I think about her quite often, though I still don't know her all that well. We'd only lived in the same household for about a year before I came here.

Enid: What?! Even though you're siblings?

part21bikd5.jpg

Convenient timing there, Ward. Reese won't have to discuss exactly who Lynette is...

Reese: Oh, thank you, Ward. Enid, please come to the West House as soon as you are prepared. I'll introduce you to everyone.

Enid: Understood, Lord Reese!

Reese: No need to be so tense. You'll adjust to things gradually.

Enid: R-Right... I understand. See you later, Lord Reese...

part22pnkxb.jpg

Ward: In any case, taking her with us may prove to be somewhat burdensome... Let us hope she is a quick learner.

Reese: She is in peculiar circumstances, so I do not blame her for searching out her own path. I think she has the right attitude to become a true knight. If I can, I'd like to help her achieve that, even if it is troublesome.

Ward: This entire situation reminds me of when Lady Lynette asked to become a knight of Sinon... Back then, you refused her outright without a second thought.

Reese: I was still just a child. I didn't understand her feelings, or how much it all meant to her...

Ward: And now, Lord Reese?

Reese: I think it's natural to want to bring justice to your family's enemies... and Lynette's family was killed by the Empire during the invasion.

part239bk8r.jpg

Eh, I think Reese made the right choice. Emotion isn't something you want guiding battlefield decisions. Roswick didn't take the decision of letting Enid join lightly, after all.

Although, someone did make a mod that enables what Reese just mused about, which is hilariously broken:

part24n1km4.jpg

Lynette's a mage, of course ;)

Anyway, let's check in on Daoud.

part25qej1i.jpg

Oh, that was his son we captured during the battle...

part269qj7o.jpg

Luciana: Fear not, Sir Daoud. I will be watching over this boy personally. I am certain he will recover well. Please do not worry...

Daoud: Thank you, Sister Luciana. Please take good care of him...

Luciana: Of course. Leave his treatment to me. I won't let you go through the same sorrow again.

Hmm. That would explain (at least partly) why Daoud was so emotional over Lidran's death, it was like losing another son. Fortunately, at least one of his family survived the Imperial occupation.

Next update, I'll be starting the first side mission and doing some party management. See you there :)

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Update 83: Chapter 6-1 - The Phantom Corps (part 1)

As usual, we can choose which side mission to take on first.

part17gjk7.jpg

part2mhknz.jpg

Reese: Based on the reports of the survivors, that appears to be the case. But in each instance, by the time any reinforcements had arrived to help, the enemy was already gone. Our scouts and rangers have yet to find any traces of enemy activity in the nearby areas, either. The most likely explanation is that the force conducting these raids does not have a fixed base of operations. Evidently, they are extremely mobile and efficient with guerrilla tactics.

Elbert: It sounds rather brutal and simple, but clearly it has been effective at disrupting our supply lines...

Reese: Exactly. Moreover, the effects of these raids are already being felt on the front lines. Even the aristocrats who are normally unconcerned with us lesser folk have begun to worry about it. Measures must be taken to eliminate this threat.

part32fjng.jpg

Reese: Somehow, these raiders have inside knowledge about the layouts of the camps, even the guards' patrols. If we can track down the source they are getting that information from and control it ourselves... then I believe we can turn the tables on the enemy, and ensnare them.

Elbert: Ensnare them?

Reese: That's right. We'll send false reports and details to lure these raiders into a trap. Ordinarily, I might not expect simple tactics like this to work... My hope is that their long string of successes has made them bold and blinded by overconfidence.

Elbert: I see... I think it could work. I doubt a sudden ambush like this would be within their expectations.

Reese: I pray your instincts are right. I want you to organize a team and be ready at a moment's notice.

Elbert: Understood, milord! I'll begin preparations at once.

part44gkah.jpg

This might not be a particularly interesting premise for a mission, but I do like it for a couple of reasons. Firstly because it brings up the subject of military logistics, which is even more important in a setting that lacks powered transport or modern agricultural techniques. After all, an army marches on its stomach. Starving out a defensive position rather than assaulting it would entail less casualties for the Empire as well. Secondly, this is another one of the points in the campaign where Reese is taking the initiative, rather than waiting for orders.

Before I get onto the party management, I'll discuss the new arrivals in a bit more detail, starting with Perceval.

part5ajjnn.jpg

He can be hired as a mercenary at 880 for main missions, which of course is halved for side missions as shown above. Permanent recruitment requires 2 happiness, and is also linked to story events much later in the campaign.

part64qjmb.jpg

Percy specializes in thunder magic; he can also equip wind-based spells but he'll be less accurate with them. As is typical for mages, he has little in the way of survivability. What's less expected is his low speed, not even enough to activate adept - though this might avoid overkill in some situations. Stat growths are on the low side as well, even by Berwick standards. Magic is 12%, speed and hp 25%. Bracketing is quite wide; another point in speed is not guaranteed for some time.

Strong as thunder spells are, these drawbacks can make Percy difficult to utilize to his full potential, necessitating as many stat boosts as possible. A pegasus brace or blessed brace is practically mandatory, along with visiting the Kingfisher to improve hitrates. Promotion requires level 15 and 30 thunder skill - not a trivial task, but the resulting increases to magic and hp are welcome.

part72tkt3.jpg

Mercy can work well in conjunction with the Lightning spell, whereas adept is beneficial against bulkier targets like armour knights and generals. Arrowbane scales with speed, so it isn't all that effective to begin with.

Enid has permanently joined the Sinon Knights, so I'll talk about she has to offer.

part8zfjit.jpg

Her promotion works differently to everyone else; she just needs to reach 5 magic regardless of level, which triggers the promotion event as long as you've progressed to chapter 8. The earliest she can reach the stat threshold is level 6 (with use of the magic potion). The notable promotion bonuses include 2 points to magic, focus chant, and an extremely powerful and accurate fire spell.

It's possible to get unlucky and still have Enid unpromoted when she loses paragon at level 11, due to weak bracketing and magic growth of only 20%. In the meantime, she'll need to be micromanaged carefully to gain the necessary experience, as well as ensuring Perceval survives (since he's the one who teaches her how to use magic).

There's a fair amount of loot to distribute from the battle at Lebron:

part9kkkny.jpg

I'll also drop off the mithril sheets that Czene purchased, and spend the 800 denarii to craft the magic potion (since I already have the materials):

part10osj4t.jpg

Battle Party

Based on what Reese said about the opposition, we're going to need someone to spot hidden units, preferably with high mobility - which is where Larentia (745D) comes in. I'll also hire Perceval (440D) to get him up to level 7 for casting lightning, and Arthur (550D) because he's behind on levels. Dean gets a slot since I've already paid his fee. Enid can come along too given that side missions are safer environments to train her in. Christine can provide ranged support, and Izerna will take care of healing duties.

Perceval takes the last available seat at the Kingfisher, so I can boost his hitrate by 10 (as I did with the party I took for the main mission). Arthur gets a replacement horse:

part11wfjos.jpg

Dire Thunder is too valuable to use on generic enemies, so Percy receives a regular thunder orb. Two vulneraries are also purchased from the temple. Arthur can't use the square shield efficiently yet, so I buy a fresh kiteshield for him.

part12ztjv5.jpg

Elbert gets some fresh spears and pilums, so he won't be in danger of running low any time soon. I threw in a captured shield in his bag as well. Getting to 16 spear skill by the end of the map would be a good benchmark to reach.

part13uxk2g.jpg

Dean keeps the same equipment as before. Given his high skill growth, it won't be long until he has 100% hit rate with most axes.

part1422k4a.jpg

80% to hit isn't too bad, hopefully Percy gets some skill points here. I'll likely be taking him on the next mission as well.

part16t2kox.jpg

I'm intending to preserve Larentia's own equipment for the next chapter, so she'll use a generic spear and shield for now.

part17okjhz.jpg

Arthur's strength seems low right now, but promotion gives +3 and his bracketing is narrow. There's also the second hit from using desperation to factor in.

part185gk31.jpg

I opted to give Enid the eagle brace rather than Perceval, since she has to fight up close and missing an attack would end badly for her.

part19yykdq.jpg

Christine gets the lion's share of my arrow and bow inventory for now. I may swap her out next mission depending on how things go.

part15pokd2.jpg

The usual equipment for Izerna. She has it pretty easy with just spamming heals to promote :P

This small village and surroundings are the site of our next battle:

part20gfks9.jpg

part21oak2k.jpg

William is the leader of the Imperial guerilla force.

part226njs5.jpg

He's well equipped, and boasts an impressive skillset:

part23y8jud.jpg

Attacking from 2 range with bows seems to be the safest choice, but that will give him the opportunity to use the vulneraries, and make it harder to hit him in the first place.

His personal guards will be a threat as well.

part2471kvf.jpg

part250ajmm.jpg

A quick adjustment of positions later, and the Sinon Knights are ready to move out.

part26q7kdd.jpg

I'll begin the mission itself in the next update. Stay tuned :)

Endemic

Arcane
Update 84: Chapter 6-1 - The Phantom Corps (part 2)

part1gjks7.jpg

William: Should be easy pickings. Just operate as usual.

Imperial 13th mercenary: It's a lot easier to fight these guys when they don't know we're coming!

William: Naturally. That's the idea behind the guerrilla tactics we've been using. Why fight a large army head-on when smaller forces such as ourselves can suffice by other means? Although...

Imperial 13th mercenary: Something the matter, sir?

William: A thought just occurred to me... Everything's gone easily today... Even this little farming village didn't up any resistance to us...

Imperial 13th mercenary: We did get the jump on them. They're probably just not used to seeing their enemy up close!

William: ...That may be true, but...something just seems wrong here...

part2aeked.jpg

Elbert: These slippery raiders have been ransacking and destroying our supply camps for months. They're guerrilla fighters, so they'll avoid engaging us in the open. If they get the chance, they'll try to pick us off one by one from afar. Keep your wits about you, and watch your and your comrades' backs!

The Imperials are immediately alerted to our presence:

part3tlkq5.jpg

William: They've found us out... Everyone, take cover! Follow the usual strategy!

Imperial 13th mercenary: Yes sir!

part4lzkn6.jpg

I could just beeline for William and take him out to end the mission, but that would mean less experience for people like Enid.

The enemy is remaining hidden, just as the dialogue indicated. I'll be advancing cautiously.

part596jjm.jpg

As the Sinon Knights move out, a trio of Imperial soldiers appear:

part6mek8d.jpg

The skirmish begins on turn 2 with no damage being inflicted.

part7hpky7.jpg

One of the archers has his bow break, while Elbert strikes down another.

part849jod.jpg

Christine and Larentia take care of the spearman.

part9ziknz.jpg

Enid gets her first kill.

part1049kcn.jpg

Advancing to the edge of the village prompts more resistance:

part115mk5v.jpg

Imperial 13th mercenary: Oh well. Begin the attack!

Larentia scouts for hidden enemies, drawing the attention of two more.

part12grk3q.jpg

Since these soldiers arrived mid-turn, they can't move yet. Elbert inflicts an injury on the crossbowman, allowing Arthur to capture him.

part13nlj09.jpg

The level-up is quite fruitful.

part14m5jpj.jpg

Christine inflicts lethal damage with her crossbow.

part15vpka3.jpg

Enid's sword doesn't meet its target, and she takes a hit from the mercenary in return. Izerna steps in to heal:

part161ejgh.jpg

Perceval's thunderbolt strikes true.

part170mkah.jpg

Advancing through the village causes more of William's soldiers to reveal themselves.

part18zqkpk.jpg

part19zcku3.jpg

part20ehkdx.jpg

Elbert provokes one of the crossbowman, but a spearman charges at him first and breaks his shield.

part2145j6b.jpg

The battle continues, with two bowmen retreating to use vulneraries. Enid cuts down another enemy, with the help of a crit:

part22mekte.jpg

Arthur, Elbert and Dean are attacked but take minimal damage, while Perceval hits a spearman with thunder. Enid thanks him for the assistance and finishes off the weakened enemy.

part23qvjgv.jpg

That takes her to level 3.

part24xtklt.jpg

An archer sends an arrow in Elbert's direction, but is swiftly dispatched afterwards.

part25ytky0.jpg

Christine makes a successful hit-and-run attack.

part26x0j1g.jpg

baud

Arcane
Patron
What's the point of capturing vs killing? I remember that you'd be able to loot crafting material and some weapons, but why for a guy that's carrying just an handful of arrows and a crossbow?

Also what happen if you fall behind in XP, money and loot? The game doesn't slow and you restart or there's some level/difficulty scaling so you can catch up?

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
What's the point of capturing vs killing? I remember that you'd be able to loot crafting material and some weapons, but what's the point for a guy that's carrying just an handful of arrows and a crossbow?

A lot of equipment doesn't drop unless you capture (especially rare stuff like the bolt knife which is only obtainable via capturing), but Imperial soldiers are also worth ransom money.

The bounties pay double if brought in alive, and you sometimes get access to weapons early (like with Seamus having an Estoc in chapter 3).

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Also what happen if you fall behind in XP, money and loot? The game doesn't slow and you restart or there's some level/difficulty scaling so you can catch up?

There aren't any selectable difficulty levels; instead it depends on your playstyle. You can choose to focus only on the primary objective, spend less and do the minimum possible amount of fighting (there are no rout objectives so this is still viable most of the time). Meeting all the ranking requirements for the campaign is significantly harder than just doing the bare minimum to get to the next mission. I'm going for an approach somewhere in the middle of those two extremes.

There are a few difficulty spikes that I know some players had trouble with; Berwick is a game that rewards long-term strategizing and not just short-term tactical skill. That's why I emphasized being careful with money earlier in the LP. If you spent all your money in chapter 4 and left nothing in reserve for chapter 5, you'd be in trouble. At the same time, there are plenty of money sinks for the efficient player (a 100% completionist run mandates a lot of spending).

Endemic

Arcane
Update 85: Chapter 6-1 - The Phantom Corps (part 3)

Elbert uses provoke again and successfully evades:

part1tikjh.jpg

Arthur's sword gives out after one more hit. Good thing he's got spares.

part2udkg4.jpg

Enid says thanks for the assist.

part38cjvt.jpg

Larentia scouts out the lake. Turns out there are marines waiting for us.

part4fmjmg.jpg

One of them is carrying a crafting material:

part5zyky0.jpg

Larentia, Perceval and Enid take care of the closest Imperial before he can get ashore.

part6b5k9r.jpg

Elbert continues to draw attention with provoke, and hands off some pilums to Larentia.

part7u3kec.jpg

More experience for our mage-in-training.

part8r8jef.jpg

Level 4 brings +1 to hp:

part9vnkw9.jpg

Seems these marines weren't expecting us to be well-equipped.

part10lbkmn.jpg

The last of them perishes.

part11bljra.jpg

Elbert's still in the tank role, as the group slowly advances. Larentia and Enid take care of the incoming spearman:

part12m2j42.jpg

Speaking of Enid, she's catching up fast.

part138zkx3.jpg

William's troops have been decimated, he's running out of men to throw at us.

part14ipjpt.jpg

Arthur's shield is knocked out of his hand in the ensuing melee; Christine takes advantage of the mercenaries being distracted to attack with her crossbow.

part15rljz7.jpg

A short while later, Elbert guts the first mercenary with his spear:

part16qlj1x.jpg

Arthur falls back for healing.

part176cj8t.jpg

Izerna receives a point of luck on this level.

part18uvkqq.jpg

Now it's just their commander left.

part19zyjlm.jpg

His overconfidence will soon be his undoing:

part20s3jlj.jpg

However, some cavalry arrives.

part21swkqt.jpg

They stay at the edge of their range, trying to bait us out... so Elbert rides north to intercept one. Next turn, the horseman is no more.

part22mokyx.jpg

With a bit of help, Dean kills the second soon after:

part233zklw.jpg

William tries to flee, using his vulneraries along the way, only slightly prolonging the fight.

part244hkmi.jpg

Larentia gains a level in the process.

part25snjla.jpg

That wraps things up here. In the next update, I'll cover the post-mission cutscenes and another subplot :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom