Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones - a Lovecraftian Computer RPG

Yosharian

Arcane
Roguey do you see some of the push-back against Stygian (for example, the warehouse and lantern segment) as reflective of a modern cadre of game players who are unused to games and UI that don’t hold their hands? I’m reading your back and forth with Yosh-whatever and trying to imagine them playing Fallout 1 in 1997, or Baldur’s Gate in ‘98, and I do not see the problem solving / think outside the quest-compass mentality that was the assumed baseline player competence in the late 90s.
Yeah, these guys would flip their lids at the logic required of you in the average 90s adventure game.
Everyone flipped their lids at the logic required by games like Secret of Monkey Island, regardless of whether they were playing in back in the 90s (I was eight at the time and found it difficult but fascinating) or playing it five years ago.

Reminiscing about the often utterly retarded backwards logic of 90s point'n'click games as if they were a good thing is peak fucking autism. Those games were great, and they have a lot to teach modern developers, but let's not fucking pretend their gameplay was always good because a lot of the time it was absolute shite.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here

Yosharian

Arcane
Here's a cheat guide on Steam that mentions add_item and charactereditor console commands. The character editor lets you modify stats and skills. You can't add perks, but you can modify the stats and skills of companions.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1884076796

This finally allowed me to get past the game breaking bug where Mr Wheat never gave me poison
I can finally progress with the game. yay

Thanks
It's almost like a working, player-accessible console that lets you add items and modify npcs/pcs is a useful addition to an RPG

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Here's a cheat guide on Steam that mentions add_item and charactereditor console commands. The character editor lets you modify stats and skills. You can't add perks, but you can modify the stats and skills of companions.

This finally allowed me to get past the game breaking bug where Mr Wheat never gave me poison

Thanks

Glad you got it, but I did try to help you directly a couple days ago.
so nobody has experienced the same game breaking dead end bug that I had? Where Wheat never gives you the poison, and it's too late to fight the mob there, making it impossible to progress past the distillery?
If you haven't quit already, and you're not above cheating, you could try using a cheat code to add the poison to your inventory. Just use the tilde key and type
add_item mr_wheats_poison
and hit enter.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Tutorials
Who the fuck needs them?
The disabling of the combat loot system that creates movement difficulties for the players
Oh, I see. Better remove something than fix it. Just add Shift-click to loot. Scrawled
When you just click - you move on this corpse. When you shift-click - you loot it. I think you wanted to make click to move, right click (with a radial menu) to loot, but could not make it? You could add "loot" ability to combat menu of the character itself.

Picked this up. Playing an old depraved occultist with occult maxed, investigation maxed, and 1 point in speech and 2 in medicine (Though since I seem to get 2 skills on level I'll probably just keep occult and investigation maxed). Not sure how well it'll pan out for me relying on magic in this setting (I'd assume poorly) but we shall see. Recruited some greasy dude that's gay for pay and some bandaged Perfectly Reasonable Man. Despite depraved occultist giving me sex appeal and even having a point in speech, when confronted with a starlet buying me a drink in the bar I wasn't presented with the option to say "Hey, behbeh". Here lies Cow the Arcane, he never scored.

222px-Butt-head_BevisandButtHead.png

Child of Malkav

Erudite
The best kind of darkness was in DkS 1, catacombs area. I mean, you go in there, it's dark. Period. You can see nothing except for the items and good luck getting them.
You either needed a lantern or a glowing worm-hat thingy whatever it's called.
You go there the first time, you know you need a light source so you go back. Although there were players who soldiered on. I don't even....

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
The best kind of darkness was in DkS 1, catacombs area. I mean, you go in there, it's dark. Period. You can see nothing except for the items and good luck getting them.
You go there the first time, you know you need a light source so you go back. Although there were players who soldiered on. I don't even....
If you can see the item then you don't need a light to pick it up

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here

Thanks

Glad you got it, but I did try to help you directly a couple days ago.

Yeah i didn't see that. I gave up after asking for several days.. Good thing I ran into the solution randomly on a steam forum.

thanks though

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The Tomb of the Giants, reached by passing through the Catacombs, is the area in Dark Souls that is exceptionally dark, such that the player will likely need either a skull lantern, the sunlight maggot, or the cast light spell in order to proceed. Fortunately, the skull lantern is a possible drop from the necromancers found in the Catacombs, and, even if you didn't obtain one, you can also find one in the Tomb of the Giants
in the pit that Patches kicks you into, which isn't far into that level.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
although a simple 'It's too dark to see here..' prompt wouldn't go amiss
But there is a prompt. When you lose sanity because of darkness, it says "Pitch black" or something like that.
the sanity loss is pretty clear indication too. . . .
The sanity loss is only in the slightly darker room, then once you get to the ghoul room you don't get sanity loss, so a player could enterpret that as a one time thing just like many other experiences of sanity loss in the game

You still failed to explain why a clearly visible object needed a lantern to be looted

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Because it's a game.

If you get so hung up on some inoffensive thing like this, it just shows you're just another retarded newfag. Not even needed to bring old games here, probably Underrail would make your head explode.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
Because it's a game.

If you get so hung up on some inoffensive thing like this, it just shows you're just another retarded newfag. Not even needed to bring old games here, probably Underrail would make your head explode.
I beat underrail and it never required me to use a lanturn to loot an object in a slightly dark room, and it had many dark rooms

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
My agenda is against shitty tedious game design, your arguments are weak, because it's a game it should have shit design

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
My agenda is against shitty tedious game design, your arguments are weak, because it's a game it should have shit design

oh, i understand. it's just that your autistic repeating of yourself for several days now has become even more tedious than anything in this game
You're defending something that's shit, so I'm just going to keep making you look like a fool

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
As a side note I think the roleplaying in this game is done really well, you aren't punished for making a hybrid character, even 1 point in survival is really useful

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
tl;dr is it worth it? Combat screens look silly, but overall graphics is interesting, and I also read somewhere that it "feels like Torment more than Numenera"

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
the roleplaying is great, it has bugs, and it has a dark room that you cant loot a clearly visible box in, but aside from that it's really good, albeit short

come up with an argument or else you dont matter

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom