Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones - a Lovecraftian Computer RPG

Deleted Member 16721

tl;dr is it worth it? Combat screens look silly, but overall graphics is interesting, and I also read somewhere that it "feels like Torment more than Numenera"
I

Yes, it's a good game. Worth playing for sure.

it has bugs
Hoo boy, does it ever. Played roughly 3 hours this evening (Went through a bank, went on a whole bunch of sidequesting and am trailing a killer which may or may not be a sidequest given how long it's going) and I've already had a number of outright game crashes and oddities like icons of inventory items disappearing and getting completely stuck trying to interact with an object at one point. Other than that though, mostly having a good time. I've got complaints (COMBAT SPEED, combat in general (Feels like it either needs more crunch or less of it. Where it's at now is too time consuming to be quick to get through and too simple to have much tacticool depth), research being tied to resting (I've got like 5 fucking things to research and as far as I can tell each rest at the bar is expensive and camping supplies aren't much cheaper. Having more things to research than limited resting allows would be cool if not for the fact that health/sanity regen also uses that precious time and you get next to no hints (Other than spells) what your research will uncover anyway, so it could be useless to you), and a lot of general interface clunk) but it's fun. Thus far having no combat skills hasn't been a terrible hindrance even though that ghoul in the post office was alarming, and I wish I got more use out of the occult skill like in the hotel.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
tl;dr is it worth it? Combat screens look silly, but overall graphics is interesting, and I also read somewhere that it "feels like Torment more than Numenera"
I

Ok, I'll give it a try. Just bought Alan Moore's graphic novel "Providence" which is awesome and thought that Stygian would be relevant to the flow.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I

Ok, I'll give it a try. Just bought Alan Moore's graphic novel "Providence" which is awesome and thought that Stygian would be relevant to the flow.

kFwPAJA.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
research being tied to resting (I've got like 5 fucking things to research and as far as I can tell each rest at the bar is expensive and camping supplies aren't much cheaper. Having more things to research than limited resting allows would be cool if not for the fact that health/sanity regen also uses that precious time and you get next to no hints (Other than spells) what your research will uncover anyway, so it could be useless to you),

The Key Merchant can identify the benefits of items for you. Resting also restores health and sanity, so you're not losing out on anything but money by doing it. Eventually you'll hit a point where you'll have a ton of Cigs and you'll be able to buy all the camping supplies you can.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Where do you get a motorcycle helmet? There are two items you can craft with them, but I don't recall ever seeing one. One of the things you can craft from it says it lets you see in the dark, but I don't recall there being any darkness except in the warehouse and in the basement where you find the hidden wall path. This makes me think it is something that would be available early in the game.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The pawnshop has all sorts of headgear.
Yep, I definitely saw a motorcycle helmet at Honest Bill's.
Really? I've never seen one there. I've heard the shop inventory changes sometimes, so maybe I just didn't go when it was there. I just checked with two characters, and I didn't see it. Is it random or shows up after some event?
It could be related to progression but I'm not sure what exactly triggers it. By the time I reached Blasted Street it was there.

e: Now that I think about... At that point in the game you don't even need a lantern anymore. :lol:

Last edited:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Where do you get a motorcycle helmet? There are two items you can craft with them, but I don't recall ever seeing one. One of the things you can craft from it says it lets you see in the dark, but I don't recall there being any darkness except in the warehouse and in the basement where you find the hidden wall path. This makes me think it is something that would be available early in the game.
They wanted to make much bigger game, it shows. For example, you can find scroll of Hand of Nerghal in the Witch House.
But you can't rest anywhere until you finish game. So it is useless.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
I tried to make a table of Perks and Abilities, but I gave up. Is there any way to post tables here? In case anyone cares, here's what I got so far in list form. One interesting thing I realized is that not all perks with a "I" have a "II" and not all perks with a "II" are preceded by a perk with a "I" in the name.

• Agile Brawler: Level 3, Athletics 2; +1 to Melee Accuracy and Melee Critical Success Chance
  • Alertness I: Level 2; +1 to Reaction
  • Alertness II: Level 4, Senses 6; +2 to Reaction
  • Alertness III: Level 6, Senses 7; +3 to Reaction
  • Backstabber I: Level 6, Stealth 5; Improved damage on rear attacks
  • Better Criticals I: Level 3; +2% to Critical Success Chance
  • Better Criticals II: Level 5; +3% to Critical Success Chance
  • Better Criticals III: Level 7; +4% to Critical Success Chance
  • Clarity I: Level 3; +2 to Maximum Sanity
  • Clarity II: Level 5; +4 to Maximum Sanity
  • Clarity III: Level 7; +6 to Maximum Sanity
  • Cold Blooded: Level 3; Increased panic resistance
  • Cold Blooded II: Level 5, Will 6; Increased panic resistance
  • Cold Blooded III: Level 7, Will 6; Increased panic resistance
  • Controlled Mind: Level 4, Psychology 3; Reaction +2, Critical Failure Chance -1
  • Cool-headed: Level 5; If current Sanity < 1/2 of maximum, gain 1 Mental Resistance
  • Die Hard: Level 5; If current Health < 1/2 of maximum, gain 1 Damage Resistance
  • Dodger I: Level 2; +1 to Physical Defense
  • Dodger II: Level 4, Agility 6; +2 to Physical Defense
  • Dodger III: Level 6, Agility 7; +3 to Physical Defense
  • Faithful: Level 5, Divine; Supernatural Defense increases by 2 if a Divine character has at least one holy item in inventory.
  • Gunslinger: Level 4, Firearms 3; +1 Accuracy and +1 Damage with pistols
  • Haggler: Level 2; Better prices from vendors
  • Haggler II: Level 4, Speechcraft 4; Better prices from vendors
  • Haggler III: Level 6, Speechcraft 5; Better prices from vendors
  • Heavy Hitter: Level 3; +3 to Melee Critical Success Chance
  • Heavy Hitter II: Level 5, Physique 7; +4 to Melee Critical Success Chance
  • Heavy Hitter III: Level 7, Physique 8; +5 to Melee Critical Success Chance
  • Hoarder: Level 5; If a jewelry is equipped, Mental Resistance +1
  • Innate Power I: Level 2; +1 Spellcraft
  • Innate Power II: Level 4, Occult 4; +2 Spellcraft
  • Innate Power III: Level 6, Occult 5; +3 Spellcraft
  • Luck of the Totem: Level 3; In an artifact is equipped, Critical Failure Chance -1
  • Medic I: Level 2; Improved Health Gain from Medical Items
  • Medic II: Level 4, Medicine 4; Improved Health Gain from Medical Items
  • Medic III: Level 6, Medicine 5; Improved Health Gain from Medical Items
  • Medical Inquirer: Level 3, Medicine 2; +2 to Medical Research
  • Occult Scholar: Level 3, Occult 2; +1 to Occult Research
  • Scientific Inquirer: Level 2, Science 2; +2 to Scientific Research
  • Seasoned Thief: Level 6, Stealth 5; +1 to Lockpick and Spot, -1 to Critical Failure Chance
  • Shadow: Level 2, Stealth 2; Wearing a mask increases Stealth Value by 1 point
  • Shadow Followed: Level 5, Occult 4; +1 to Stealth Value and Reaction
  • Slaughterous: Level 5, Melee 4; When using Heavy Bladed and Heavy Blunt weapons, gain 2-3 Melee Damage Bonus.
  • Sniper: Level 3; +3 Ranged Critical Success Chance
  • Sniper II: Level 5, Senses 7; +4 Ranged Critical Success Chance
  • Sniper III: Level 7, Senses 8; +5 Ranged Critical Success Chance
  • Stabber I: Level 4, Agility 6; Equipping a light bladed weapon increases Reaction by 2 points
  • Supernatural Resilience I: Level 2; +1 to Supernatural Defense
  • Tough I: Level 2; +2 to Maximum Health
  • Tough II: Level 5; +4 to Maximum Health
  • Tough III: Level 7; +6 to Maximum Health
  • Traveller: Level 4, Survival 3; Increased travel speed
  • Aimed Shot: Level 5, Firearms 4; Increases Ranged Attack by 3 with pistols and rifles (Requires 2 extra Action Points)
  • Cleave: Level 7, Melee 6; Strikes adjacent enemies in the three connected hexes in front of the character. (Requires 2 extra Action Points and a heavy bladed melee weapon)
  • Concussive Blow: Level 2, Melee 3; Enemies struck by Concussive Blow receive a -1 penalty to all combat rolls for a turn (Requires 2 extra Action Points)
  • Lacerate: Level 5, Melee 4; Enemies struck by Lacerate have a higher chance of bleeding. (Requires 1 extra Action Point and a medium bladed weapon)
  • Quick Stab: Level 3, Melee 2; A quick stab that costs 1 less Action Point at the expense of a -2 Attack penalty. Graze percentage is also lowered by 10%
  • Shocking Blow: Level 5, Melee 4; Enemies struck by Shocking Blow receive a -5 penalty to their Reaction rolls for 2 turns (Requires 2 extra Action Points and a medium blunt weapon)
  • Snapshot: Level 3, Firearms 2; A faster pistol attack that costs 1 less Action Point at the expense of a small shooting penalty
  • Stagger: Level 7, Melee 6; Enemies struck by Stagger are knocked down and take 1-4 more damage. (Requires 1 extra Action Points and a heavy blunt weapon)
  • Stopping Power: Level 7, Melee 6; Enemies struck by Stopping Power lose 4 Action Points. (Requires 2 extra Action Points and a shotgun)

Sloul

Savant
So many useless abilities and perks though. Quick Stab and Snap Shots are everything you need if you've got any interest in combat.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
So many useless abilities and perks though. Quick Stab and Snap Shots are everything you need if you've got any interest in combat.
Yeah, I can't imagine spending three perks to get Haggler III at level 6 for a 20% total discount on buying stuff.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
Better criticals and maybe an ability of your choice and research, nothing else is worth it

The Key Merchant can identify the benefits of items for you. Resting also restores health and sanity, so you're not losing out on anything but money by doing it. Eventually you'll hit a point where you'll have a ton of Cigs and you'll be able to buy all the camping supplies you can.
I did notice the merchant, but currently cigs are fairly precious to me. Splashed on some standard adventuring gear of rope/grappling hook/lantern/prybar/etc so now I'm back down to double digits after paying my mercenary and resting. I thought there was something weird going on with the resting, too. I guess the healing is optional bonus healing and not the only healing you get out of it, since the outsider was beat to hell and I had the two of us give him healing and it said one of us healed him, the other healed for 0, and he was at full life at the end of it.

One interesting thing I realized is that not all perks with a "I" have a "II" and not all perks with a "II" are preceded by a perk with a "I" in the name.
I noticed the tooltips for prerequisites aren't always accurate, too. Occult Scholar needed 3 or 4 points in occult before I could take it, IIRC. Actually it might've been 4 since I've been leveling occult every time, started at 2, and it has a character level requirement of 3 and I couldn't take it until I had spent my skill point in occult that level.

Sloul

Savant
Yes, you recover health and sanity naturally when you sleep, it's based on your stats I think. Also medicine gets you a natural health recovery (at least stated as such during loading screen).

vota DC

Augur
Yeah, I can't imagine spending three perks to get Haggler III at level 6 for a 20% total discount on buying stuff.
Also heavy hitter 1 + Better critical 1 is better than heavy hitter 1 + heavy hitter 2

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
One interesting thing I realized is that not all perks with a "I" have a "II" and not all perks with a "II" are preceded by a perk with a "I" in the name.
I noticed the tooltips for prerequisites aren't always accurate, too. Occult Scholar needed 3 or 4 points in occult before I could take it, IIRC. Actually it might've been 4 since I've been leveling occult every time, started at 2, and it has a character level requirement of 3 and I couldn't take it until I had spent my skill point in occult that level.
If that's true, it's possible some of what I wrote is wrong, then. I just set all my stats to 10, so I definitely didn't verify the values are what they say they are.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Also heavy hitter 1 + Better critical 1 is better than heavy hitter 1 + heavy hitter 2
I'm pretty sure the feats stack, so Heavy Hitter I (+3%) and Heavy Hitter II (4%) give a total of +7%.

GandGolf

Augur
I tried to make a table of Perks and Abilities, but I gave up. Is there any way to post tables here? In case anyone cares, here's what I got so far in list form. One interesting thing I realized is that not all perks with a "I" have a "II" and not all perks with a "II" are preceded by a perk with a "I" in the name.

• Agile Brawler: Level 3, Athletics 2; +1 to Melee Accuracy and Melee Critical Success Chance
  • Alertness I: Level 2; +1 to Reaction
  • Alertness II: Level 4, Senses 6; +2 to Reaction
  • Alertness III: Level 6, Senses 7; +3 to Reaction
  • Backstabber I: Level 6, Stealth 5; Improved damage on rear attacks
  • Better Criticals I: Level 3; +2% to Critical Success Chance
  • Better Criticals II: Level 5; +3% to Critical Success Chance
  • Better Criticals III: Level 7; +4% to Critical Success Chance
  • Clarity I: Level 3; +2 to Maximum Sanity
  • Clarity II: Level 5; +4 to Maximum Sanity
  • Clarity III: Level 7; +6 to Maximum Sanity
  • Cold Blooded: Level 3; Increased panic resistance
  • Cold Blooded II: Level 5, Will 6; Increased panic resistance
  • Cold Blooded III: Level 7, Will 6; Increased panic resistance
  • Controlled Mind: Level 4, Psychology 3; Reaction +2, Critical Failure Chance -1
  • Cool-headed: Level 5; If current Sanity < 1/2 of maximum, gain 1 Mental Resistance
  • Die Hard: Level 5; If current Health < 1/2 of maximum, gain 1 Damage Resistance
  • Dodger I: Level 2; +1 to Physical Defense
  • Dodger II: Level 4, Agility 6; +2 to Physical Defense
  • Dodger III: Level 6, Agility 7; +3 to Physical Defense
  • Faithful: Level 5, Divine; Supernatural Defense increases by 2 if a Divine character has at least one holy item in inventory.
  • Gunslinger: Level 4, Firearms 3; +1 Accuracy and +1 Damage with pistols
  • Haggler: Level 2; Better prices from vendors
  • Haggler II: Level 4, Speechcraft 4; Better prices from vendors
  • Haggler III: Level 6, Speechcraft 5; Better prices from vendors
  • Heavy Hitter: Level 3; +3 to Melee Critical Success Chance
  • Heavy Hitter II: Level 5, Physique 7; +4 to Melee Critical Success Chance
  • Heavy Hitter III: Level 7, Physique 8; +5 to Melee Critical Success Chance
  • Hoarder: Level 5; If a jewelry is equipped, Mental Resistance +1
  • Innate Power I: Level 2; +1 Spellcraft
  • Innate Power II: Level 4, Occult 4; +2 Spellcraft
  • Innate Power III: Level 6, Occult 5; +3 Spellcraft
  • Luck of the Totem: Level 3; In an artifact is equipped, Critical Failure Chance -1
  • Medic I: Level 2; Improved Health Gain from Medical Items
  • Medic II: Level 4, Medicine 4; Improved Health Gain from Medical Items
  • Medic III: Level 6, Medicine 5; Improved Health Gain from Medical Items
  • Medical Inquirer: Level 3, Medicine 2; +2 to Medical Research
  • Occult Scholar: Level 3, Occult 2; +1 to Occult Research
  • Scientific Inquirer: Level 2, Science 2; +2 to Scientific Research
  • Seasoned Thief: Level 6, Stealth 5; +1 to Lockpick and Spot, -1 to Critical Failure Chance
  • Shadow: Level 2, Stealth 2; Wearing a mask increases Stealth Value by 1 point
  • Shadow Followed: Level 5, Occult 4; +1 to Stealth Value and Reaction
  • Slaughterous: Level 5, Melee 4; When using Heavy Bladed and Heavy Blunt weapons, gain 2-3 Melee Damage Bonus.
  • Sniper: Level 3; +3 Ranged Critical Success Chance
  • Sniper II: Level 5, Senses 7; +4 Ranged Critical Success Chance
  • Sniper III: Level 7, Senses 8; +5 Ranged Critical Success Chance
  • Stabber I: Level 4, Agility 6; Equipping a light bladed weapon increases Reaction by 2 points
  • Supernatural Resilience I: Level 2; +1 to Supernatural Defense
  • Tough I: Level 2; +2 to Maximum Health
  • Tough II: Level 5; +4 to Maximum Health
  • Tough III: Level 7; +6 to Maximum Health
  • Traveller: Level 4, Survival 3; Increased travel speed
  • Aimed Shot: Level 5, Firearms 4; Increases Ranged Attack by 3 with pistols and rifles (Requires 2 extra Action Points)
  • Cleave: Level 7, Melee 6; Strikes adjacent enemies in the three connected hexes in front of the character. (Requires 2 extra Action Points and a heavy bladed melee weapon)
  • Concussive Blow: Level 2, Melee 3; Enemies struck by Concussive Blow receive a -1 penalty to all combat rolls for a turn (Requires 2 extra Action Points)
  • Lacerate: Level 5, Melee 4; Enemies struck by Lacerate have a higher chance of bleeding. (Requires 1 extra Action Point and a medium bladed weapon)
  • Quick Stab: Level 3, Melee 2; A quick stab that costs 1 less Action Point at the expense of a -2 Attack penalty. Graze percentage is also lowered by 10%
  • Shocking Blow: Level 5, Melee 4; Enemies struck by Shocking Blow receive a -5 penalty to their Reaction rolls for 2 turns (Requires 2 extra Action Points and a medium blunt weapon)
  • Snapshot: Level 3, Firearms 2; A faster pistol attack that costs 1 less Action Point at the expense of a small shooting penalty
  • Stagger: Level 7, Melee 6; Enemies struck by Stagger are knocked down and take 1-4 more damage. (Requires 1 extra Action Points and a heavy blunt weapon)
  • Stopping Power: Level 7, Melee 6; Enemies struck by Stopping Power lose 4 Action Points. (Requires 2 extra Action Points and a shotgun)

The wiki page at:
https://stygian.gamepedia.com/Perks
also list:

Scholar of the Esoteric:
Increases Occult research value by 3

and

Keeper of the essence
Gain a small chance to preserve a used occult essence

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Ok started a new playthrough and i fucked it up right after the post office fight, but i noticed something peculiar - this time around i always combat looted the corpses, each and every one (except the last one ofc) and im pretty sure you get more loot that way. As in, WAY more loot.
For example, in my first playthrough i completed the bank with the usual loot of cigs, random garbage and the occasional key for sale. But now, in my 2nd run, i am swimming in shit including a couple of essences looted from the bodies of crazies.
Both times i exterminated all of the foes, never did progressive escape, my ocd will not allow it.

Anyone else noticed this?

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
Ok started a new playthrough and i fucked it up right after the post office fight, but i noticed something peculiar - this time around i always combat looted the corpses, each and every one (except the last one ofc) and im pretty sure you get more loot that way. As in, WAY more loot.
For example, in my first playthrough i completed the bank with the usual loot of cigs, random garbage and the occasional key for sale. But now, in my 2nd run, i am swimming in shit including a couple of essences looted from the bodies of crazies.
Both times i exterminated all of the foes, never did progressive escape, my ocd will not allow it.

Sometimes sometimes not, it was inconsistent, for example I'd loot some cigs off random encounters with lunatics but when it ended I got no loot, meaning I probably looted everything they had

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet

Sometimes sometimes not, it was inconsistent, for example I'd loot some cigs off random encounters with lunatics but when it ended I got no loot, meaning I probably looted everything they had

Same here, but try to experiment - seems that manually looting each corpse before completely wiping out the enemy yields more loot overall.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom