Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Decadence is the best CRPG of the past 15 years

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
Are you implying aod has deep combat mechanics other than max your stats

In wasteland you can use cover and positioning to make up for a lack of combat skill, in aod you literally just get raped and no amount of positioning or tactics can save you, it's on the level of jrpgs in combat depth

Every no name beggar fucktard and bandit has 10 in weapon skill dodge and critical strike, somehow vendors never restock so if you used your bolas or bombs to beat the arena grand champ who uses cheat codes to get multiple turns guess what you're shit out of luck, throwing doesn't do shit, you're expected to just max one thing like a retard

Try winning all fights with 0 def or 0 offense (or both) without tactics or positioning.
it simply wont happen is the point

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

In wasteland you can use cover and positioning to make up for a lack of combat skill, in aod you literally just get raped and no amount of positioning or tactics can save you, it's on the level of jrpgs in combat depth

Every no name beggar fucktard and bandit has 10 in weapon skill dodge and critical strike, somehow vendors never restock so if you used your bolas or bombs to beat the arena grand champ who uses cheat codes to get multiple turns guess what you're shit out of luck, throwing doesn't do shit, you're expected to just max one thing like a retard

Positioning matters a lot in AoD’s combat, though. If you’re a blocker fighting a dodger, you can fuck up your enemy’s dodge chance by luring them next to a wall or pushing them into a corner, or even another enemy. This is very helpful, especially when playing as a hybrid character. Maybe you just don’t know how all the mechanics work. Random bandits don’t have 10 points in their weapon and defense skills. If they did, they’d obliterate even pure combat characters for the bulk of the game.

If you need more bombs, you can make them if you put enough points into alchemy. Or you could just not participate in difficult optional fights like the arena champion and save your bombs for the main quest. But if you could buy infinite bombs and bolas, the game would be way too easy. You’re supposed to get slaughtered if you try to fight often with a weak build. The game is very up front about that.

The big difference between Wasteland 2 and AoD is that Wasteland 2’s combat is piss easy. Even with a pure combat build in AoD, you can’t steamroll everything—plenty of fights require thought.

You go from bitching about how the enemies rape you in AoD to cavalierly saying it’s a cakewalk when you create the right build, but it sounds like you haven’t really figured out how the system works.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter

Positioning matters a lot in AoD’s combat, though. If you’re a blocker fighting a dodger, you can fuck up your enemy’s dodge chance by luring them next to a wall or pushing them into a corner, or even another enemy. This is very helpful, especially when playing as a hybrid character. Maybe you just don’t know how all the mechanics work. Random bandits don’t have 10 points in their weapon and defense skills. If they did, they’d obliterate even pure combat characters for the bulk of the game.

If you need more bombs, you can make them if you put enough points into alchemy. Or you could just not participate in difficult optional fights like the arena champion and save your bombs for the main quest. But if you could buy infinite bombs and bolas, the game would be way too easy. You’re supposed to get slaughtered if you try to fight often with a weak build. The game is very up front about that.

The big difference between Wasteland 2 and AoD is that Wasteland 2’s combat is piss easy. Even with a pure combat build in AoD, you can’t steamroll everything—plenty of fights require thought.

You go from bitching about how the enemies rape you in AoD to cavalierly saying it’s a cakewalk when you create the right build, but it sounds like you haven’t really figured out how the system works.
the level of positioning and tactics required is miniscule, the tactics are, do you have any bombs left, do you have your sword skill high enough to barely survive killing 10 dudes, did you get the lucky roll required to kill the tough one, I beat the game with a 7 sword 7 block character with 7 in alchemy, and a few points here and there, a way to balance the fact that bombs or bolas are op, is dont make them so fucking op and make them rely on the throwing skill, and let vendors restock them

so maybe that guy that threw that bola at you needed a higher throwing skill and cant critical strike you 3 times in a turn with his perfect accuracy and 10 in every stat

and by the way I killed almost everything I possibly could in the game on a drifter playthrough

Darth Canoli

Arcane
The big difference between Wasteland 2 and AoD is that Wasteland 2’s combat is piss easy.

When did you last play Wasteland 2 ?
There's a lot of enemies that can obliterate you, in the Red skorpions area, for example, also, the first time you meet giant octopods (or do they have 6 legs only, i'm not sure), your first cultists too and their grenades and suicide bombers.
The first cyborgs you meet can also be quite brutal, i remember a possible ambush by rat-men or something where they surround you from behind cover and it can turn into a slaughter (and then you reload and ambush them instead and it's still dangerous) and so on ...

Also the old merchant in his farm in the second area, if you piff him off, he'd obliterate you* (edit: my bad, i remember he's using the most powerful rocket launcher, party wipe)
My bigger disappointment, combat wise was the giant scorpion, i wish he was a challenge.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane

the level of positioning and tactics required is miniscule, the tactics are, do you have any bombs left, do you have your sword skill high enough to barely survive killing 10 dudes, did you get the lucky roll required to kill the tough one, I beat the game with a 7 sword 7 block character with 7 in alchemy, and a few points here and there, a way to balance the fact that bombs or bolas are op, is dont make them so fucking op and make them rely on the throwing skill, and let vendors restock them

so maybe that guy that threw that bola at you needed a higher throwing skill and cant critical strike you 3 times in a turn with his perfect accuracy and 10 in every stat

and by the way I killed almost everything I possibly could in the game on a drifter playthrough

What attributes?

That's almost a full combat char, not sure what you're complaining about, if you say you had to use consumables liberally.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Every no name beggar fucktard and bandit has 10 in weapon skill dodge and critical strike...

Most enemies have 7-8 in their physical stats. 9 is reserved for exceptional fighters. For example:

Dellar - STR 8, DEX 8, CON 7, PER 8, sword 6, dodge 6, critical strike 5.
Esbenus (the raiders leader) - STR 8, DEX 6, CON 8, PER 8, sword 4, block 4, critical strike 2.
The arena champion - STR 8, DEX 9, CON 9, PER 8, sword 8, dodge 8, critical strike 8
The prospector near the library - STR 6, DEX 8, CON 6, PER 7, axe 4, dodge 2, critical strike 1
Miltiades' thug (the axeman) - STR 7, DEX 8, CON 7, PER 6, axe 5, block 4, critical strike 2

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The big difference between Wasteland 2 and AoD is that Wasteland 2’s combat is piss easy.

When did you last play Wasteland 2 ?
There's a lot of enemies that can obliterate you, in the Red skorpions area, for example, also, the first time you meet giant octopods (or do they have 6 legs only, i'm not sure), your first cultists too and their grenades and suicide bombers.
The first cyborgs you meet can also be quite brutal, i remember a possible ambush by rat-men or something where they surround you from behind cover and it can turn into a slaughter (and then you reload and ambush them instead and it's still dangerous) and so on ...

Also the old merchant in his farm in the second area, if you piff him off, he'd obliterate you* (edit: my bad, i remember he's using the most powerful rocket launcher, party wipe)
My bigger disappointment, combat wise was the giant scorpion, i wish he was a challenge.

Not long after the director’s cut came out. I don’t remember needing to use much in the way of tactics. There were some difficulty spikes when you faced higher level enemies before you could upgrade your equipment, but it didn’t take that much imagination to handle the combat. I remember forcing myself not to use assault rifles to maintain some semblance of challenge.

It just seems insane to hold up Wasteland 2 as an example of good combat versus Age of Decadence.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
the game is all dice rolls, there are almost no tactics you can use to make your chances better, based on the fact your most effective combat method is melee, your position boils down to get close, I had 8s in almost everything combat, as well as int, 6 strength, 4 personality, with the amount of times every enemy critted me it lead me to assume every enemy in the game had 10 in every combat stat

especially with swords, I used quick attacks to proc bleed and poison, my accuracy seemed to be shit compared to every enemy in the game despite raising swords pretty much at every opportunity, and I used high accuracy swords, I wasted a few points in throwing maybe 1 and some crafting, and not enough lore for everything but for alot of things, I think I got to 5

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
Every no name beggar fucktard and bandit has 10 in weapon skill dodge and critical strike...

Most enemies have 7-8 in their physical stats. 9 is reserved for exceptional fighters. For example:

Dellar - STR 8, DEX 8, CON 7, PER 8, sword 6, dodge 6, critical strike 5.
Esbenus (the raiders leader) - STR 8, DEX 6, CON 8, PER 8, sword 4, block 4, critical strike 2.
The arena champion - STR 8, DEX 9, CON 9, PER 8, sword 8, dodge 8, critical strike 8
The prospector near the library - STR 6, DEX 8, CON 6, PER 7, axe 4, dodge 2, critical strike 1
Miltiades' thug (the axeman) - STR 7, DEX 8, CON 7, PER 6, axe 5, block 4, critical strike 2
that kind of blows my mind, the champ crit me with every other throwing chakra, so I just assumed he had cheats, you did give him an extra turn if you tried to make him come to you though

Vault Dweller

Developer
No cheats, all enemies use the same system as the player. The extra turn thing is just bad design on our part. The sequence is determined by DEX, PER, and weapon skill (in this order). If you initiate combat, you go first even if you should have gone second. Essentially you switch the sequence within the first turn. So if normally the sequence should be: enemy, you; enemy, you; enemy, you; etc, it becomes you, enemy for the first turn and then goes back to what it should have been (enemy, you), thus creating a very real looking illusion of an extra turn: you, enemy; enemy, you; enemy, you, etc.

As for tactics, positioning does matter but choosing the right gear (armor, weapon type within your weapon class) and attack type matters a lot more.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
Positioning matters a lot in AoD’s combat, though.
Don’t feed the troll.
On the list of things that matter it's very low and almost the last thing, as you'll need to be in melee range to kill anyone, and will usually be inevitably surrounded, of course some fights positioning matters, like the bar in the desert city where you fight 3 theives, you obviously hide behind the bar and fight them 1 at a time because it's a 1 tile space, but in most fights it's just, hey let's hope my block skill holds up against this homeless man and hope he doesn't crit me 3 times in a row

Vault Dweller

Developer

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It's like a Kotaku reviewer from 2015 just woke up from his cryo sleep. :lol:

Let me get you up to speed: AoD is a cult hit, Telltale "games" went under and Orange Man BAD is POTUS.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
It's like a Kotaku reviewer from 2015 just woke up from cryo his sleep. :lol:

Let me get you up to speed: AoD is a cult hit, Telltale "games" went under and Orange Man BAD is POTUS.
Are you seriously going to argue that melee combat is the peak of tactics in rpg gaming, please fuck off retard

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Retard who can't make an argument needs to rate posts because he's incapable of logic

Your shit "argument" has already been made and refuted a gazillion times on this very forum. Use the search function, newfag. I don't owe you a wall of text nor will I self quote to save you the trouble.

In the meantime, enjoy your butthurt ratings. :positive:

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
Retard who can't make an argument needs to rate posts because he's incapable of logic

Your shit "argument" has already been made and refuted a gazillion times on this very forum. Use the search function, newfag. I don't owe you a wall of text nor will I self quote to save you the trouble.

In the meantime, enjoy your butthurt ratings. :positive:
I won, you lost, it was an easy win

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom