Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

razvedchiki

Erudite
Please. You can do that with any class. If you can't hit the broadside of the barn with a full BAB class don't blame Val and I don't even know what you're doing with Amiri, but mercs are the last item on the list of things that'll help you. You're barking up the wrong tree and wasting time that would be better spent learning how to play better.

Whats wrong with tanking and dps at the same time?

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Please. You can do that with any class. If you can't hit the broadside of the barn with a full BAB class don't blame Val and I don't even know what you're doing with Amiri, but mercs are the last item on the list of things that'll help you. You're barking up the wrong tree and wasting time that would be better spent learning how to play better.

Whats wrong with tanking and dps at the same time?

Ranged toons get a lot more full attacks in because they don't have to move as much, as you can see in that screenshot. Slayers want full attacks so they can take advantage of sneaks and Studied Target (better to-hit on iteratives than other classes). Also Monk tanks want Wing while Slayers want to Dual-Wield or use Combat Style feats to go big and Whale on shit two-handed.

All Slayer abilities are Offensive, with the exception of the Dodge you get from Vanguard. Somehow I have difficulty seeing you playing a Vanguard.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I usually play with companions but use Respec mod to customize them a bit, when I want to try new builds and archetypes. I do not change their stats much, only move Valerie's and Amiri's human +2 bonus from CON to STR.

I did enough runs with all of them vanilla when game was to unstable to mod or I was playing on beta builds.

Val indeed would miss a barn early game, if equipped with Tower Shield and using Fighting defensively without Crane Style. -6 malus will ruin anybody on low level. And, judging by the Steam forum, it is exactly how majority of the players use her because "tank".
Taking monk dip for Crane and ditching a door helps her greatly. And Outflank on level 5 easily compensates low-ish STR.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I usually play with companions but use Respec mod to customize them a bit, when I want to try new builds and archetypes. I do not change their stats much, only move Valerie's and Amiri's human +2 bonus from CON to STR.

I did enough runs with all of them vanilla when game was to unstable to mod or I was playing on beta builds.

Val indeed would miss a barn in early game, if equipped with Tower Shield and using Fighting defensively without Crane Style. -6 malus will ruin anybody on low level. And, judging by the Steam forum, it is exactly how majority of the players use her because "tank".
Taking monk dip for Crane and ditching a door helps her greatly. And Outflank on level 5 easily compensates low-ish STR.

That does work, especially since good Towers don't show up until midgame at the earliest. Other way to go is Bard with Tower. -2 isn't that big a deal after early game. TSS 9 doesn't suck either.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
GUISE DO YOU USE CUSTOM COMPANIONS?
Why? What's wrong with the story companions?

Most of them have shit builds
Dunno. I disagree. I think they're pretty good. Just give Val a shield until she can properly wield that massive tower shield of hers. Enlarge Amiri, or throw her a reach weapon, and keep her away from the front lines. Once you get past the rough early game, the companions start to become real useful.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Why? What's wrong with the story companions?

valerie cant hit the side of a barn and amiri cant tank even if her life depends on it.

everyone else is excellent,tristian for healing/linzi for buffing/ekundayo for machine gunning/jubilost for force nades etc.
Noo don't use Amiri to off tank. That's not a very good way to use her. Amiri is a fragile DPS, and requires some micromanaging to make full use of. You can 1)Enlarge her so she attacks from range. 2)Throw her a reach weapon, so she attacks from ranged. 3)Have tank always go first to get aggro. Then micromanage Amiri to flank the squishes.

I don't believe Valerie is supposed to be hitting anything for the early game. Just give her a small-medium shield. Once she reaches a certain level in her TSS class, she should be able to wield that massive shield of hers without penalty.

I don't like Tristian, Harrim is better.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
harrim cant tank and his heals are far inferior than tristians.
:O
*AHEM*
I RESPECTFULLY DISAGREE!
Give Harrim a fauchard, or longspear, get outflank. Later throw a +4 or +6 belt to qualify him for combat reflexes. Then watch as he becomes useful by procing outflank. There are other ways to build him too. In my last Unfair Playthrough, I built him as a mystic theurge, I ended up liking it a lot! He got access to so many buffs and spells! You can also build him as a full cleric with one level dip into fighter, but that doesn't sound very exciting..

Also Harrim or Tristian shouldn't be on front lines tanking...

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron

Val indeed would miss a barn early game, if equipped with Tower Shield and using Fighting defensively without Crane Style. -6 malus will ruin anybody on low level. And, judging by the Steam forum, it is exactly how majority of the players use her because "tank".
>And, judging by the Steam forum, it is exactly how majority of the players use her because "tank"
Steam forums is filled with dum dums. To this day there are still threads on steam about how difficult the swarms are. I wouldn't listen to that lot.

razvedchiki

Erudite
*AHEM*
I RESPECTFULLY DISAGREE!
Give Harrim a fauchard, or longspear, get outflank. Later throw a +4 or +6 belt to qualify him for combat reflexes. Then watch as he becomes useful by procing outflank. There are other ways to build him too. In my last Unfair Playthrough, I built him as a mystic theurge, I ended up liking it a lot! He got access to so many buffs and spells! You can also build him as a full cleric with one level dip into fighter, but that doesn't sound very exciting..

I play with closer to tabletop mod which makes outflank more difficult to enable( you have to be behind a mob while someone else is infront of it).

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
*AHEM*
I RESPECTFULLY DISAGREE!

I play with closer to tabletop mod which makes outflank more difficult to enable( you have to be behind a mob while someone else is infront of it).
Ooooh. That doesn't sound very fun...

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Valerie is a fantastic tank until the touch attacks come in. And those are so late that you shouldn't care. Valerie has 40 unbuffed AC at level 10 if you make her a defender. She has fantastic HP so she can stand while being hit, and hit you will be.
Agreed. TSS also gives some bonuses to touch AC. Have no idea if the bonus is significant, but it's still pretty good.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
by the way what weapon you give to valerie people?mace?warhammer?
Bastard sword. There are some good bastard swords in the game.
Longsword. Perfection is nice for tanking.
Actually early on you might use a kukuri instead - you get a Keen one early and you can trigger Outflank more. In fact you also get a Keen longsword (but it has a narrower crit range).

Or a Kinetic Blade...

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Because he's a sturdy, armored dwarf, I've used Harrim on my first playtrough. But on my second I decided to give Tristan a chance and oh boy, the game became a whole lot easier due to his Touch of Good plus superior heals.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
harrim cant tank and his heals are far inferior than tristians.

Well, Harrim can tank. Like in old MMORPG joke, anybody can tank only question is how long. For my difficulty + party composition he is more of the liability in melee, even with reach.

But I tend to run 2 pet + 2 melees + Summons so slow and a bit vulnerable on Hard/Unfair cleric does not fit well, and I like my clerics more focused on the casting with high WIS. I also often use cleric as my main perception char, with Skill Focus/Alertness/Persuasive and this takes up a lot of early feats that melee Harrim can not afford.

Last edited:

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
by the way what weapon you give to valerie people?mace?warhammer?
Bastard sword. There are some good bastard swords in the game.
Longsword. Perfection is nice for tanking.
Actually early on you might use a kukuri instead - you get a Keen one early and you can trigger Outflank more. In fact you also get a Keen longsword (but it has a narrower crit range).

Or a Kinetic Blade...
Oh right, I forgot about that one. Don't you get that much later into the game? Besides Bastards Swords are more plentiful than Long Swords, if I remember right.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom