Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

abija

Prophet
20 fps is more than fine when you turn with a gamepad.

Achilles

Arcane
:lol: , are you not aware that ps3 already launched at price 599$ ? This is nothing new.

You don't listen to what they say, you judge yourself by the specs, and we already know 100% that PS5 will have a 7nm, Zen 2, 8 core / 16 thread cpu, which is a high end cpu.

The PS3 launching at $599 is what gave that generation to Microsoft. You are crazy if you think that they will do the same again. As for the CPU, you can't determine whether or not it will be high end by its core and threads. Jaguar had 8 cores and it was weaker than Intel's dual core Pentium line. You really have no idea what you're talking about and the only explanation I can think of for your insistence on embarrassing yourself is that you're 12 years old.

The new consoles will obliterate current generation PC gaming. Here's why.

Consoles always offered APIs that are "close to the metal". You have direct memory and hardware access, you can control how everything is done from start to finish. That's why console ports always have higher hardware requirements on PC than the hardware the consoles have. Even with Vulkan and DX12 the PC will never get the same level of optimization due to several factors. You can optimize only to an extent due to the number of graphic cards available. For example, if you push a Radeon 570 to its limit, all your work might have no effect on any GeForce or other Radeons with a different arch revision. So what do you do? You optimize as much as you feel is necessary for all architectures.

Additionally, the code for console has to be verified by Microsoft and Sony before it is allowed to be published. On PC, the programmers code however they want and just release it and then GPU manufacturers fix their errors with drivers, which often replace the developers' shader code on the fly with the manufacturer's own. There was an article a few years ago by someone who worked with a driver team at either Nvidia or AMD and he said the way developers code their games is so messy and full of simple errors, we will always see "game ready" drivers which will attempt to fix all this. Ever wondered why GPU drivers have such huge installers? That's because they contain code for hundreds, maybe thousand games.

If that ain't enough, programmers are not used to coding for the PC with the same mindset they have with consoles. For some reason, they failed to embrace Vulkan and DirectX12, even with all their similarities with the console APIs. We often get DX12 renderers which offer worse performance than DX11. Somehow it's better for them to re-do the renderer with DX11 for PC instead of modifying the Xbox's DX12 one.

The hardware used in the new consoles will be well ahead of what we have available on PC today. So the PS5 is confirmed to have RT capability - do you actually think the RT cores will offer the same performance a mid-end GPU for PC does today? The thing releases next year, it will likely have hardware similar to yet unreleased PC GPUs. It will have a performance level of a next generation RTX card. With all the above in mind, with close to the metal APIs and stuff, the games that will use ray tracing will be coded with ray tracing in mind - maybe not the very first releases, but they will come within months. Today, we've got a "normal" game engine with ray tracing added as an aftertought. We could compare it to, for example, Telejano engine port for Quake. It used all the things we've had in Doom 3, but added to an engine that never supported it. It looked pretty, but its performance was shit. Now if you create your code and assets with RT in mind right from the start, it will be a different story than it is today, with games like Control struggling to perform well. Until that happens, though, we will see RTX 3000 graphic cards out there and even AMD will release a Radeon with specific RT capabilities.

The current gen consoles use a Jaguar CPU by AMD. It's a processor similar to Intel's Atom - low performance, low power. Pretty much the only difference to "normal" PC models is it's an 8 core. Now imagine changing your Atom based netbook to a modern Ryzen based laptop. It will rip your head off. Even if its clock won't be high, it will be a modified Zen 2 architecture which is so good, a 6 core desktop Ryzen 3600 performs better than an 8 core Ryzen 2700.

The new consoles will have last year's mid range hardware and they will perform exactly as such. We've had a whole generation of x86 consoles and every myth about their supposed massive performance gains over PC hardware has been completely and thoroughly debunked. There are literally hundreds of videos proving so. Previous consoles had different architectures and publishers typically squeezed out a turd of a PC port that ran terribly, which created the myth of consoles performing much better than PCs. One generation of x86 hardware conclusively proved otherwise.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The PS3 launching at $599 is what gave that generation to Microsoft. You are crazy if you think that they will do the same again. As for the CPU, you can't determine whether or not it will be high end by its core and threads. Jaguar had 8 cores and it was weaker than Intel's dual core Pentium line. You really have no idea what you're talking about and the only explanation I can think of for your insistence on embarrassing yourself is that you're 12 years old.

Yeah, even if they do two models with one at $599 and the other a little lower, I still think it would be crazy.

Tehdagah

Arcane

Yeah, even if they do two models with one at $599 and the other a little lower, I still think it would be crazy.
They did, the PS3 had a "cheap" version priced at $500.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
btw it was confirmed by Sony that devkit design is real and it's what the devs have, it's beefy like that because the heat needs to get out, which means it will be STRONK

82218921.jpg

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
btw it was confirmed by Sony that devkit design is real and it's what the devs have, it's beefy like that because the heat needs to get out, which means it will be STRONK

82218921.jpg
I've seen people complain about this design, but I actually like it a lot. It has that futuristic feel to it, like something out of Star Trek. If it will be something like this, I won't complain.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

82218921.jpg
I've seen people complain about this design, but I actually like it a lot. It has that futuristic feel to it, like something out of Star Trek. If it will be something like this, I won't complain.

It probably look slightly different, but the size will remain because of the specs.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
The new consoles will have last year's mid range hardware and they will perform exactly as such.

BS, the cpu is on ryzen 3600 level and gpu on RTX 2080, it has this years high end hardware.
A year from now this still will be relevant.

Apart from you I base my assumptions on facts that are known already instead of pulling them out of your arse.

soulburner

Cipher
The PS5 and the new Xbox will not have last or even current generation CPU/GPU that could be analogous to a PC one. Both consoles will use custom chips, which means the CPU, which is based on the 7nm Zen 2 rchitecture, will not be directly comparable to a Ryzen 3600 or a 3700. The same with the GPU - it might be similar to the Radeon 5700, using RDNA architecture, but have a different number of shader processors and/or work at a different frequency. Due to the unified architecture, the CPU and GPU will communicate in a slightly different way that graphic cards in PC, too - both CPU & GPU share the memory, they might share the same memory controller, have a shared cache and shit like that, which substantially reduce all kinds of latencies.

The PC will have to do some catching up after the new consoles release. However, with Intel entering the GPU market, I suspect the prices will become sane again and upgrading will not be as damaging to the home budget.

I will stay on my toaster laptop with an eGPU for at least two CPU and GPU generations before I upgrade anything. And no, I will not be buying any console. I might be a potato, but I'm not a peasant.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
7nm Zen 2 rchitecture

Zen 2 IS Ryzen 3xxx and Zen 2 is confirmed for PS5 so essentialy PS5 will have 100% a ryzen 3xxx, the only difference with PS5 is that it will have lower clocks, starting from 3ghz.

Agreed on GPU.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
That RTX 2080 level performance PS5 has been debunked as false.

Makabb, your uneducated speculation is making you look like a desperate buffoon. I'm sure Sony will reveal the SoC specs sometime next year, and I'd wager this ain't gonna be a TFLOPS war anymore like previously.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb, your uneducated speculation is making you look like a desperate buffoon. I'm sure Sony will reveal the SoC specs sometime next year, and I'd wager this ain't gonna be a TFLOPS war anymore like previously.

wrong !

"Oberon A0.
Gen2 : GFXCLK = 2.000GHz
Gen1 : GFXCLK = 0.911Ghz
Gen0 : GFXCLK = 0.800Ghz

This equates to 9.2 TF on the RDNA architecture. Or roughly 14 TF on the GCN Architecture aka over double the power of the X1X. Almost RTX2080 power."

https://wccftech.com/playstation-5-powerful-rtx-2080/

Achilles

Arcane
I remember the lead up to this generation's reveal. People were saying that because Unreal Engine's Elemental demo ran on a PC with three Nvidia 680s on SLI the Playstation 4 would be as powerful as that system. Good times.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

wrong !

"Oberon A0.

This equates to 9.2 TF on the RDNA architecture. Or roughly 14 TF on the GCN Architecture aka over double the power of the X1X. Almost RTX2080 power."

wrong !

Newest rumors say 7 TFLOPS.

bam dum dish!

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

wrong !

"Oberon A0.

wrong !

Newest rumors say 7 TFLOPS.

bam dum dish!

It's not a rumour, this leaker also said (as you can see on the site) that ps5 will have a 7nm zen 2 and ray tracing, which sony confirmed last week, so 14 tf is also true.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Morgoth you brainiac Amd will use new microarchitecture called RDNA which is made also for new consoles (both sony and microsoft) that's why the new consoles will have such good gpus.

RDNA + 7nm = powerfull gpu that is cheap enough for console.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Morgoth you brainiac Amd will use new microarchitecture called RDNA which is made also for new consoles (both sony and microsoft) that's why the new consoles will have such good gpus.

RDNA + 7nm = powerfull gpu that is cheap enough for console.

Do you know how much heat a RX 5700XT @2GHz currently emits, let alone how much power it draws? Hint: Too much for a small-cased console. And that's just the GPU alone.

Also don't forget these Devkits always operate at higher clocks than final products.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Do you know how much heat a RX 5700XT @2GHz currently emits, let alone how much power it draws? Hint: Too much for a small-cased console. And that's just the GPU alone.

Also don't forget these Devkits always operate at higher clocks than final products.

PS5 will have a custom made one + they have a year of improvements

Achilles

Arcane

PS5 will have a custom made one + they have a year of improvements

They won't have a year of improvements. In order for mass production to start the hardware has to be finalized well in advance of the console's launch, up to a year before.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom