Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Disco Elysium: Welcome to Revachol

Codex Year of the Donut
Communists sure are a lot better at marketing than Microsoft owned studios.
reminder that disco hipsterium isn't even in the top 75 wishlisted games on Steam and it releases in a few days.

ShadowSpectre

Arbiter
luj1 That's from the game's Steam page:

Unprecedented freedom of choice. Intimidate, sweet-talk, resort to violence, write poetry, sing karaoke, dance like a beast or solve the meaning of life. Disco Elysium is the most faithful representation of desktop role playing ever attempted in video games.

Non-shilling consensus is Disco Pretentious.

Tort law only requires a matter of reasonableness and duty of care. Very bold claims; I expect to be able to solve the meaning of life or else.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
What I don't get is what is so pretentious about it?

Don't you understand? People feel this game is smarter than they ever be.
It's typical hate and envy that incapable, untalented feels toward talented, rich in intellect, soul man.
They immadiately hate that artstyle, which is done thousand times better then typical "game art" on every level - from conceptual to execution.

Other game developers will hate ZA\UM, while they will be smilling to their faces, behind their backs they will harm them in every way, you will see this.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Everyone is trying HARD to portray Disco as the next Planescape Torment or something. Notice it's not the game or its devs who're doing it.

You're not reading the same self-hype I am. See Fairfax's posts in this thread.

You are one of the few posters who liked Numanuma but at the same time one of the few posters who comes out against Hipster Delirium. Seems odd to call one pretentious while saying the other was alright. Maybe it was the alright kind of pretentious.

I suppose it is true that McComb is not as clever or as good a writer as he thinks he is. However, ToN did entertain me. Aside from the overwriting and Tybir, I did not feel annoyed while reading.

Awakened_Yeti

Arcane
Developer
Everyone arguing in this thread is a fag.

chosen.png

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
You're not reading the same self-hype I am. See Fairfax's posts in this thread.

And..? You do realize that every developer promotes his own game. Which (according to you) means that every game, ever, is inherently pretentious. Including PoE and Numenera and other crap you liked.

People feel this game is smarter than they'll ever be.

Pretty much. Mediocrity hates excellence.

The fact of the matter is, artistically and conceptually this game is above the comprehension level of the average poster; he is pulling the pretentious card cause he doesn't get it.

Prime Junta

However, ToN did entertain me. Aside from the overwriting and Tybir, I did not feel annoyed while reading.

Do you sometimes look for anything more than entertainment / not being annoyed in writing?

Do you have any thoughts regarding pretentiousness and making a game around “What does one life matter?”

Is this any different from building a game around “What can change the nature of a man?”

Discuss why or why not. TIA

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
tbh I wish more games were "pretentious" in this manner rather than pedestrian, assuming it's ever genuinely the case and not just a knee-jerk manner of trying to dismiss something that's shooting for the stars and doing it in style

I'm not detecting any air of pretend, the game seems to be an earnest labour of love and inspiration, it wears it on its sleeve, revels in it

being "inspired by" PST (an actual game!) is its saving grace, it's a recognition of some of the best vidya making tradition, and it was the more difficult route to take to deliver the game - were there legitimate claim to it being pretentious, it would "play" like KRZ aka not a game but some fucking bullshit with the nerve to think its shit is hot enough to suffer through without giving me any input FUCK YOU FUCK YOU

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Do you sometimes look for anything more than entertainment / not being annoyed in writing?

No. That is, I don't specifically seek out fiction with a particular message. I got into stuff like Candide and No Exit because they seemed amusing, not because I wanted a thesis about the nature of humanity.

Do you have any thoughts regarding pretentiousness and making a game around “What does one life matter?”

ToN could have done well enough without having that question directly posed to you really. McComb punching above his weight.

Is this any different from building a game around “What can change the nature of a man?”

This question is important to Ravel and The Transcendent One, not necessarily to whoever's playing it. Planescape Torment certainly has pretentious fans, but the work itself is not pretentious. Reading any given Avellone interview makes it clear that he's one of the least pretentious persons around. Kurvitz is the opposite; he oozes it.

Prime Junta

In my view PS:T is not pretentious whereas T:ToN is. There are a bunch of reasons, but the main one is that “What can change the nature of a man” is an interesting question whereas “What does one life matter” is not.

The former recommends all kinds of possible answers: death? love? betrayal? regret? amnesia? acute brain damage? nothing? Examining each of these to eventually settle on one, or none, or transcend the question as TNO does is a worthwhile activity.

The potential answers to the latter however are just dull: a lot? a little? not at all? matter to whom? Consequently T:ToN’s writing becomes pretentious twaddle, whereas PS:T’s does not.

Since you were unable to provide a coherent answer, are conflating authors with their works, and dodged a part of the question, I’m going to have to conclude that you’re simply not very good at judging whether a work is any good or not. Thank you for taking the time to answer.

Deleted Member 22431

And..? You do realize that every developer promotes his own game. Which (according to you) means that every game, ever, is inherently pretentious. Including PoE and Numenera and other crap you liked.

There is a difference between promotion and bragging. It is already hard enough to please and deal with criticisms when you are humble. DE developers are vomiting hubris all over the place and everything they said will come back to them. If you think you can make outlandish and pretentious remarks and we should expect to treat this as normal you are delusional. it will affect the reception of the game. It is already affecting my perception now while we speak. These stupid comparisons with PS:T already put me off.

Deleted Member 22431

Codexers don’t enjoy cRPGs. They enjoy bitching about cRPGs. The PoE curse is lifted. From now, instead of discussing the merits (or lack thereof) of a failed BG clone, we will discuss a hipster text-adventure communist game. The pretentious storyfags of the codex will all flock in defense of this turgid prose and we will bash them mercilessly. It will be glorious.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
The former but relatively the latter since it's a 500 gb SSD. I have fewer than 100 gigs left, I suppose if I don't upgrade in the near-future I'll have to uninstall some of those 30 gig games.
It's moments like this that remind me to be thankful for not being born in America.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Last edited:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You have to remember to divorce the author from the work. For instance, to dismay of many Codexers, Polanski's movies are not full of underage rape, nor is everyone obese in Lotro movies.

It could well be that the authors are pretentious*, while the Disco Elysium game isn't.

(*)
If you read the dev blog, you can confirm this, or at least they come out as annoying cunts

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom