Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
73961f8440572f5cf97b3e1debcfc8cb.png

Hellion

Arcane
On my 2nd playthrough so far it's taken me about 20 hours just to reach Day 3. So it's a combination of factors - reading speed, stuff I originally missed for some reason or other, stuff I purposely didn't pursue due to my character build or self-imposed RP/LARPing reasons (like not selecting certain dialogue options, or not pursuing a task that required points in a skill I didn't want to invest into - this CAN be circumvented some times by equiping clothes with the proper bonuses or using drugs/alcohol, but I opted not to)...

So it will probably take a lot more than 30 hours this time. But the 90+ prediction for a completionist playthrough still seems a bit high - unless we count the hours put into ALL the accumulated playthroughs one would/should make in order to experience everything (tasks, dialogues, inner monologues, thoughts, skill combinations etc etc), in which case we might be reaching or even surpassing that number.

I also tried to experiment by loitering on purpose and spent the entire day 3 reading books, playing board games or just browsing through stores, and a day went past just like that. So it turns out that my original six-day playthrough is not really fixed (as in, after Day 6 the game ends no matter what) - I ended up involuntarily "rushing" it, of sorts, after all.

Last edited:

bataille

Arcane
Indeed, I feel that save scumming, meta-gamey cloth-swapping or OOC actions may severely affect replayability. I really hope people don't spoil it for themselves by grinding an improbable skill check, robbing a dead man of his boots as a sensitive character, or occasionally swapping to an adidas track suit for some sweet phys bonuses as an academically inclined detective.

vota DC

Augur
Indeed, I feel that save scumming, meta-gamey cloth-swapping or OOC actions may severely affect replayability. I really hope people don't spoil it for themselves by grinding an improbable skill check, robbing a dead man of his boots as a sensitive character, or occasionally swapping to an adidas track suit for some sweet phys bonuses as an academically inclined detective.
The sensitive robber Is out of character but the academic that put away heel shoes to put something more confortable to climb make sense.

Hellion

Arcane
Heh, another tiny instance of how character builds affect dialogue during tasks.

During my 1st playthrough I played mostly with focus on Intellect, and during a Task someone asks you to help by moving certain water containers around. Immediately your Intellect skills monologue starts "complaining": "WHAT A MENIAL TASK, THIS IS SO BENEATH YOU, YOU ARE A SCHOLAR, YOU ARE BETTER THAN THAT" etc, and if I remember correctly you even have the option to express that objection.

In this playthrough I put focus on Motorics/Physique, and during the same part of this Task a Motorics skill monologue simply says "You like moving things around and organizing them, it really calms you" and you proceed to rearrange the containers.

Last edited:
Insert Title Here
Has the game been translated to any other languages? Looks like it would be an absolutely gargantuan task fit only for a true professional with mastery of both languages. The heavy use of word play alone would make things very difficult.

Prime Junta

Yeah this games begs for you to larp the bejeezus out of it.

(Minmaxing is fun too though but in a different way.)

Terenty

Liturgist

Savescuming is indeed not cool in a game that accounts for fails, but preparing yourself for a skill check is an intended gameplay loop by the devs, i.e. taking drugs, swaping clothes etc

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

So we shouldn't play it like it's an RPG?

i'm poor and a member of a marginalised community

is it morally permissible for me to pirate this game according to communist ideology?
Being mentally ill doesn't magically turn you into a member of an exploited class, comrade. So - no, it's not. It does, however, entitle you to free haloperidol and chlorpromazine, and also free psychiatric care!
nJ3hcOs.jpg

Last edited:
it literally did tho

i went from male bzns heir to tranny wageslave
But if you were born into a bourgeois social origin, you're still out of luck, sorry. You'll never be a true member of a proletariat, and even if became a wageslave, you'll only become a "служащий", not a "пролетарий". If your job isn't manual labour, of course. And being a "служащий" also won't entitle you to anything, much less free shit. Most you can try is to become is a "пролетарий умственного труда", but it's a hard and perilous road.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom