Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

God of War reboot - now on PC

The irony here is that as Kratos is a Spartan, odds are good that he could be as gay as the sunrise.

sullynathan

Arcane

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Who gives a fckn shit about a guy who is no longer involved. Kratos fcks and kills. Now if only we could get the old Kratos back instead of the PG13 imposter.

And a game that plays like an actual fckn game.

Last edited:

cruel

Cipher
God of War joins PS Now subscription starting October 1st. So it can be playable on PC now, in some way.

Also, PS Now cost dropped from $20 to $10 per month.

sullynathan

Arcane
PS Now streaming really sucks though but at least you can install PS4 games on a PS4. Good luck on using it.

If you're like me, you get one credit card, make multiple PS accounts and use them each to get 1 free week of PS Now. With that, I can play Uncharted 4 and God of War for a while in the future.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Finished it few days ago.
Not a bad game in any means, I enjoyed the puzzling and the extra content besides the main story. Its not even short, probably took me like 25-30 hours to beat and I still had like 5 Valkyres to beat and bunch of rifts to close.
It gets my seal of approval when it comes to cinematic AAA games.

Btw, some of you fuckers mentioned Horizon Zero Dawn as a good game, that shit is like a third person Farcry 3 hoarder only 3 times lamer.
Expected more really with all the hypage but the game puts me to sleep.

sullynathan

Arcane
The game is actually good so far. The combat problems are there the minute combat starts, but it picks up very early as you unlock new moves.

sullynathan

Arcane
Finished it. The game is a pleasant surprise in comparison to all the other god of war games that came before it, yet all the story it tells is very interesting.

The combat isn't bad by any means and is very fun with combat effects that go past just visuals but I can't help but feel like the game builds tension in combat by shoving the camera up your ass. At times it does feel like constanty turning the camera, moving, evading and attacking can be very hectic in the middle of combat at least until you get to a high enough level. It's made even worse with the valkyries that constantly jump off screen right in front of you.

There are only a few stats in the game but only a few are worth it (strength, cooldown and runic), luck is useless because you earn far too many hacksilver, xp and you can sell old gear to earn hacksilver, while defense and vitality was negligible. High level combat boils down to managing and repeatedly using your runic attacks, which look great, but gets repetitive because you're only allowed to equip two at a time and need to go back to the menu to change which ones you want, it constantly has a slow-mo effect everytime you use it, and you have to wait between use. Too many enchantments are relatively the same thing with just a higher power level and stat increase (level 5 enchantment with 6 Runic vs level 7 enchantment with 11 runic).

Unfortunately, once you reach a decent level you start steamrolling all enemies, even the actual final boss. They really can't do much damage to Kratos and die easily.

The Valkyries are the most difficult bosses because they're like enemies from a different type of game. Very quick animations, quick flying, repeatedly getting off screen, etc.

If I were to improve the game, I'd pull the camera back much farther, reduce the amount of troll boss fights/bosses that use troll animations or just turn them to regular enemies like ogres, rework the rpg mechanics for how leveling works and remove the useless stats and enhancements, less emphasis on upgrading gear, removing enemies like revenants and ancients, and a few other things.

cvv would like this type of game.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Sure. I'm planning to buy PS5, my first console ever, because it's supposed to be backwards compatible. Imma get Bloodborne, Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War and possibly Death Stranding and Project Awakening if they're any good.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Not a bad game in any means, I enjoyed the puzzling and the extra content besides the main story. Its not even short, probably took me like 25-30 hours to beat and I still had like 5 Valkyres to beat and bunch of rifts to close.

Btw, some of you fuckers mentioned Horizon Zero Dawn as a good game, that shit is like a third person Farcry 3 hoarder only 3 times lamer.

What diff. did you play GoW?

Btw from what I've seen on Youtube Horizon story seemed less retarded that the usual videogame average. It has a stunning brave empowered female hero but she didn't seem as irritating as the new Lara Croft or the rug munchers that infested the new Uncharted game. And the combat seemed infinitely more interesting than anything Ubisoft has ever produced.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong

What diff. did you play GoW?

Btw from what I've seen on Youtube Horizon story seemed less retarded that the usual videogame average. It has a stunning brave empowered female hero but she didn't seem as irritating as the new Lara Croft or the rug munchers that infested the new Uncharted game. And the combat seemed infinitely more interesting than anything Ubisoft has ever produced.
On Medium. Wasnt hard, only frequent dying was facing valkyres and those are optional.

I played Horizon for 12 hours and couldn't get into it.
The pleasant people in post apoc world and collectathon gameplay bored me to death.
Its like a lamer and longer version of Farcry 3 in third person.

sullynathan

Arcane
Give me god of war specific problems
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All of the Valkyrie and enemy health bars are significantly boosted to the point that they make the battles last longer than they should.

Disappointingly, Spartan Rage does very little damage now regardless of what level you are in comparison to your enemies. It is to the point that you can't even kill regular enemies at times with a full rage bar which in turn means you can't regain much health with spartan rage either. Spartan Rage and all the other cinematic moves should've had invincibility frames after their deactivation. There are far too many times where attacks that linger after you run out of spartan rage and attack kills you because Kratos stops moving for a half a second when he finishes spartan rage.

Atreus is the second thing that's severely nerfed in give me god of war. His arrows and runic attacks now do significantly less damage. They will no longer harm Valkyries or most bosses, and he can no longer knock out Valkyries in the air with arrows, Kratos has to throw his axe at them now.

At first the weapon switching animation doesn't seem to be a problem until you fight a valkyrie who does her flying insta-kill move that can't be blocked nor dodged nor can it be stopped by Atreus arrows and you're standing too far from her. Your only choice is to use a long range runic attack or throw your axe, if your runic attacks are still on cooldown then you're fucked because switching your weapons can at times take too long, before you then have to manually aim and then throw your axe which the insta-kill attack would've already happened by then.

This is more of a general criticism. There are far too many effects on screen at a time. When using Atreus' runic attacks, arrows, Kratos' runic attacks, etc. at once, you get far too many effects on the screen making it nearly impossible to tell what is actually happening on the screen. Worst of all, is when you're fighting an enemy like a valkyrie which will sometimes completely ignore all the stun-effect these attacks do and then attack you when the screen is filled with effects and you can't tell which attack they actually did.

The assisted movement when you glide towards enemies can be really really annoying sometimes when fighting in groups, because the game itself will choose which one of them you will attack, especially when they bunch up and then start moving apart. The game will draw you to one of them without your choosing.

Slow-mo for runic attacks and parrying should've been an toggle in the options menu.

Another really annoying thing is the way that the game limits exploration in NG+. There are elevators and ladders to areas you've previously visited or will visit that you can't use and the game will give you a message that you must progress far enough in the story.

By this point, all the slow scripted climbing & jumping, really long animated fast travel, and large amounts of door opening animations and animations for dropping on the ground but the inability to jump up >30 feet even though Kratos does it all the time in cutscenes started to get to me.

For some odd reason, the freezing then shattering mechanic stopped working altogether, even though I'm two levels above enemies.

Ivan

Arcane
Sharing thoughts from the "Wasting" thread. I've come to really appreciate the combat but feel the runic powers makes the game too easy. I loved the Valkyrie fights and feel like this is the direction I would personally like the game to focus on. I hated the on-rails exploration with slow climbing and invisible walls. I felt that the ARPG elements killed my motivation for exploring and finding chests.

Biggest hopes for sequel: more emphasis on mano-a-mano combat encounters. More free exploration, fewer invisible walls.

Ivan

Arcane
At first the weapon switching animation doesn't seem to be a problem until you fight a valkyrie who does her flying insta-kill move that can't be blocked nor dodged nor can it be stopped by Atreus arrows and you're standing too far from her.
that sounds absolutely infuriating :D

cruel

Cipher
I just found out the guy who wrote Anachronox (and voiced Alex Jacobson) was the writer on this. How the fuck does one fall so low?

Oh yes, he fell so low. From writing a niche RPG nobody cares about to a clear GOTY of 2018, game people are still talking about today. Such a shame.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Just started this. Maybe I'm impatient, but fuck these slow boring emo unskippable cutscenes. Anti fun and pretentious spirit.

Also in the semi-interactive parts, super slow and unresposive animations. Bad way to get you into the mood of action gaming.

We'll see. But I'm very skeptical already about this game.

cruel

Cipher
The most important difference is that GoW is an actual game, with gameplay, and not a horse simulator.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

sullynathan

Arcane
So how did this game wind up getting sucked off more than RDR2? Actually better game? More woke?
God of Wr has a legacy that Red Dead lacks. Even though RDR2 had a much higher metacritic score and generated more sales and revenue than God of War, it seems that a lot of reviewers were touched by the big change in Kratos as a character and God of War as a franchise in terms of lore, game design and story especially the "underdog" story of Sony Santa monica.
Everyone loves the dad & son/sad & kid style story these days (Last of Us, Witcher 3, Bioshock infinite, etc.) and it is central to this games story. In essence, you have to be someone who played the old god of war games and thought they got sstale by their 6th or 7th game while this new one is a very very very big change, almost in a separate genre with Kratos as a constant that has grown while having great production values.

Just started this. Maybe I'm impatient, but fuck these slow boring emo unskippable cutscenes. Anti fun and pretentious spirit.

Also in the semi-interactive parts, super slow and unresposive animations. Bad way to get you into the mood of action gaming.

We'll see. But I'm very skeptical already about this game.
You can skip cutscenes, iirc, only after beating the game once because I skipped cutscenes throughout my second playthrough.

Play the game on action mode if you have a PS4 Pro.

So how did this game wind up getting sucked off more than RDR2? Actually better game? More woke?

It's just like, so impressive man, it's all in one shot...like Birdman.

Even though that isn't an impressive feat in a video game or anything that's computer generated.

Although it was funny to see game journos so eager to suck off this game for that "feat" that none of them seemed to notice God of War breaks its gimmick every time you go into your skills or whatever. It's like the developers either came up with that before thinking of really running with the "one shot" gimmick, or they just couldn't think of a way to work that in even though they did work the shop screens into the "single take."

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom