Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Dorateen

Arcane
I just now found out this exists from someone calling it the possible heir apparent to ToEE.

Knights of the Chalice 2 and Realms Beyond will be closer to ToEE, as they are using the 3.5 OGL.

Solasta is a 5th edition turn-based role-playing game, with more of a focus on exploration, integrating levels of height and depth and lighting sensitivity into the gameplay mechanics.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Hm? Dragons are awesome though and they are misused in RPGs.

On Skyrim for eg, they are more akin to wryven(bestial) than to true Dragons and even on D&D/Pathfinder, Dragons are far weaker than what they should be. If in 5 years, an sorcerer with an small portion of draconic bloodline managed to go from tworing few magic missiles per day to stop time,shape the reality with wish, an ancient dragon should be much more strong. Should be capable of obliterating armies of humans, casts ancient spells that nobody knows, automatically empower/maximize/extend any spell of his element(silver - cold, red - fire for eg), have servants and allies from other worlds, etc. Remember, Dragons often have superhuman STR/INT(above 20), they should be more epic, not gigant dumb lizards like they are in most games.

PS : Dragons are one of the coolest fantasy creatures. Just like Jet aircrafts since Me 262 are one of the coolest military eqquipment.

Knights of the Chalice 2 and Realms Beyond will be closer to ToEE, as they are usinge the 3.5 OGL.

Solasta is a 5th edition turn-based role-playing game, with more of a focus on exploration, integrating levels of height and depth and lighting sensitivity into the gameplay mechanics.

Yes, but when i played the solasta demo, i was with strong ToEE feelings.

Gibson

Learned
by that logic Dragon Age Inquisition and Skyrim are good games.
Skyrim can be heavily modded into something much better. I had 57 mods

I mean, I can't disagree with you on that...but a piece of shit car can be modded into a great race car if you put on new engine, new gearbox, new exhaust,...change everything but the hull, but that's not really the same original car now, is it?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I mean, I can't disagree with you on that...but a piece of shit car can be modded into a great race car if you put on new engine, new gearbox, new exhaust,...change everything but the hull, but that's not really the same original car now, is it?

Yes, you are right. Skyrim is an awful game and a good "modding platform". This is why i knew that Fallout 76 will be awful(always online = no modding) but din't expected the insane failure.

------------------------------------------

As for those who thinks that high level D&D is awful, 5e reduced a lot the power creep, Sorcerers at lv 20 can cast only one tier 9 and 8 spell and only two tier 6/7. On 3.5e, with high CHA, they could cast Stop Time or Wish 6+ times in the row. Warlocks that regain spells via short rest can only regain spells up to tier 5. Unfortnetly monsters had his power reduced too. A Lich that was immune to cold/necrotic in previous editions is just "resistant" now https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Lich#content

This stats looks too weak for a necromancer that managed to defeat death itself and turned himself into an undead abomination. Even if a "lv 20 mod" comes to Solasta like existed to ToEE, solo the game will be much harder than ToEE...

Ysaye

Arbiter
I just now found out this exists from someone calling it the possible heir apparent to ToEE.

Knights of the Chalice 2 and Realms Beyond will be closer to ToEE, as they are usinge the 3.5 OGL.

Hard to tell exactly at this stage but it looks like Solasta will be more dungeon crawler with fairly linear pathways more rather than free exploration (not that I have an issue with that).
Solasta crew are obviously going for things like graphics, voice-acting and vertical combat etc
that is compromises to a degree the number of mechanics they can introduce (somewhat limited mix of classes and archetypes, level limits etc.) which they can introduce in a reasonable timeframe. Again though I have no issue.

Realms Beyond is the one with an overworld map and in some sense reminded more of RoA, although I am increasingly thinking that RB will never get finished.

I think all three look like they will implement true-ish pen and paper mechanics and they will all be turned based but obviously Knights of the Chalice 2 is heavily invested in that feeling exactly as per pen and paper over many other aspects; it has that as a different appeal angle, which is great.

Alex

Arcane
I thought 5th edition had a very limited power curve, IE leveling doesn't really do a whole lot for you? At least that's what I've been told, never tried it myself.

Leveling matters but not like 3.5e, where a lv 20 Wizard can kill an army of 20 mid level wizards in a single round with a tier 9 spells. For eg, spells like Wail of the Banshee are no longer available on 5e and Finger of Death is no longer OHK on failed save. Horrid Wilting no longer deals Caster level * D8 damage and now deals 12d8 damage and fireball deals 8d6 damage, instead of CL*d6.

The decline is real. Poor D&D, what have they done to you?

Edit:

SRD said:
7th-level necromancy

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 60 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous

You send negative energy coursing through a creature that you can see within range, causing it searing pain. The target must make a Constitution saving throw. It takes 7d8 + 30 necrotic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

A humanoid killed by this spell rises at the start of your next turn as a zombie that is permanently under your command, following your verbal orders to the best of its ability.

This is a 7th level spell and it can't even kill without bypassing HP? I mean, really, necromancers can't even weave instant death spells anymore? Who thought that was a good idea?

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
This is a 7th level spell and it can't even kill without bypassing HP? I mean, really, necromancers can't even weave instant death spells anymore? Who thought that was a good idea?

Note that a lv lv 20 sorcerer(supposed to have more spells than wizards) can only casts 2 lv 7 spell / day. 5e reduced the power creep on high level play but also killed certain ways of playing the game(necromancer for eg) and made legendary creatures such as liches and dragons very weak and boring.

Finger of Death on 3.5e fells like an spell made to "purge" enemy life, so you can purge the life of the target, but the target can try to resist(fortitude save) and you can't purge the life of things without life such as undeads and construcsts. On 5e is just an damaging spell.

Other spell who was ruined IMO was Flesh to Stone ( https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Flesh%20to%20Stone# Why? Duration: Concentration Up to 1 minute... That is ridiculous. They already implemented legendary resistances to avoid someone OHKilling a adult dragon on a failed save and having around 80% of killing him... They could have reduced the power creep without running some playstyles.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Flesh to Stone change is not even that bad, you don't need to memorize Stone to Flesh to get their gear later :D

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Flesh to Stone change is not even that bad, you don't need to memorize Stone to Flesh to get their gear later :D

Memorization is for nerds.

Jokes aside, if you can only cast one or at best two(WIZ/SOR lv19~20) tier 6 spells / long rest(WLK only regain spells up to 5 in short rest and SORC can only spend sorcery point to get spells up to tier 5), having to use two tier 6 spells will be so awful that nobody will use this spell...

Alex

Arcane

Note that a lv lv 20 sorcerer(supposed to have more spells than wizards) can only casts 2 lv 7 spell / day. 5e reduced the power creep on high level play but also killed certain ways of playing the game(necromancer for eg) and made legendary creatures such as liches and dragons very weak and boring.

Finger of Death on 3.5e fells like an spell made to "purge" enemy life, so you can purge the life of the target, but the target can try to resist(fortitude save) and you can't purge the life of things without life such as undeads and construcsts. On 5e is just an damaging spell.

Other spell who was ruined IMO was Flesh to Stone ( https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Flesh%20to%20Stone# Why? Duration: Concentration Up to 1 minute... That is ridiculous. They already implemented legendary resistances to avoid someone OHKilling a adult dragon on a failed save and having around 80% of killing him... They could have reduced the power creep without running some playstyles.

To be honest, I can understand not wanting to have spells where the point is just to roll a die to see if you die. I think the problem could be countered by having saves be actual actions rather than just a die roll. For instance, if you want to resist a mind control spell, you need to do something. Do you dodge the spell? That would only work if the spell is some kind of ray or something. Do you try to close your eyes so you don't look into the wizard's hypnotic eyes? Do you try to resist the command to kill you friends by the power of the bond you formed with them? Maybe the power of greed instead? You've never done anything for free, you are not about to start now. I wouldn't expect something like this from 5e, though.

But removing the mechanic of save or die for a simple hp damage is just stupid. The whole point of spells like this was to have a different alternative to draining a creature's hp. If you don't want to do that, you should have just removed the spell entirely.

V_K

Arcane
The whole point of spells like this was to have a different alternative to draining a creature's hp.
My understanding, from the description, is that the point is not just to drain hp, but to immediately raise the killed creature as a zombie.

Alex

Arcane
The whole point of spells like this was to have a different alternative to draining a creature's hp.
My understanding, from the description, is that the point is not just to drain hp, but to immediately raise the killed creature as a zombie.

Yeah, sorry, I meant the point the spell had in previous editions, not in 5e where it is clearly something else entirely.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Flesh to stone becomes permanent after 1 minute, so you can still use it to turn your enemies into statues.

Codex Year of the Donut
Flesh to stone becomes permanent after 1 minute, so you can still use it to turn your enemies into statues.
Excellent way to get lewd garden statues for your home without paying exorbitant prices for gnomish works

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
But removing the mechanic of save or die for a simple hp damage is just stupid. The whole point of spells like this was to have a different alternative to draining a creature's hp. If you don't want to do that, you should have just removed the spell entirely.

On Pathfinder 1e, they removed OHK but made finger of Death deal an immense damage. 10*CL. So, the spell is not OHK but will OHKill most creatures. But since there are legendary resistances in 5e, even if this spells are OHK, you will not end up a high CR encounter in a single spell. High level spells(6~9) on 3.5e felt too powerful, on 5e, felt too "normal"...

Yes, but 3 saves ". If it successfully saves against this spell three times, the spell ends." , you no longer can insta petrify a sneaky rogue who wanna kill your cleric, nor petrify creatures white witch style...

High level magic on 3.5e is very godlike. Like overlord.

Last edited:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

Yes, but 3 saves ". If it successfully saves against this spell three times, the spell ends." , you no longer can insta petrify a sneaky rogue who wanna kill your cleric, nor petrify creatures white witch style...
Much more balanced, and more fun for the targeted player that way.

Alex

Arcane
Yay, you get to roll 3 times instead of once.

The problem here is that what is lacking is an actual interaction instead of a dice roll. Rolling against petrification could involve pointing a mirror to the wizard that is trying to petrify you with his gaze, or cutting off the limb that started to turn to stone, or making a prayer to your deity that would entail in doing it a service later on, or trying a counter spell before it is too late, or whatever. Saving throws were always bad in D&D because they are so abstract, but early editions at least gave a whole lot of interesting spells, abilities and opportunities to know how to prepare. New D&D seems to keep what is bad and remove what was good.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
save or suck has always been a shit design

Better than a generic mmo style temp "debuff" on cooldown... Also, if you are adventuring in a medusa cave or fighting an lich, you should have protection vs this type of spells. If you failed your save and din't have stone to flesh/deathward scrolls is your own fault for being unprepared. Nobody should engage in a combat vs a legendary creature without careful planning.

Protection from OHK spell = tier 4 (deathward)
Most common OHK spell = tier 7/8(finger of death)
Most powerful OHK spell = tier 9(wail of the banshee)

You can spend a tier 4 spell to become immune to a tier 7/8/9 spell. Note that some enemies rely on save or else spells to be terrifying enemies like Beholders.

edit : Modules such as tomb of horrors rely a lot on save or else traps.

Last edited:

Elex

Arbiter
I thought 5th edition had a very limited power curve, IE leveling doesn't really do a whole lot for you? At least that's what I've been told, never tried it myself.

Leveling matters but not like 3.5e, where a lv 20 Wizard can kill an army of 20 mid level wizards in a single round with a tier 9 spells. For eg, spells like Wail of the Banshee are no longer available on 5e and Finger of Death is no longer OHK on failed save. Horrid Wilting no longer deals Caster level * D8 damage and now deals 12d8 damage and fireball deals 8d6 damage, instead of CL*d6.

The decline is real. Poor D&D, what have they done to you?

Edit:

SRD said:
7th-level necromancy

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 60 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous

You send negative energy coursing through a creature that you can see within range, causing it searing pain. The target must make a Constitution saving throw. It takes 7d8 + 30 necrotic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

A humanoid killed by this spell rises at the start of your next turn as a zombie that is permanently under your command, following your verbal orders to the best of its ability.

7d8+30! you have idea how much hp monster have? 5e have low low numbers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom