Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Codex Year of the Donut
They don't, Valve can drop the % while still offering these services. Epic charges 12% and is still able to offer 8+ free games every month.
They could afford to do it with a 0% cut. They're not doing it to make money, they're doing it to strongarm their way into the market and knock out smaller competitors.

passerby

Arcane
They could afford to do it with a 0% cut. They're not doing it to make money, they're doing it to strongarm their way into the market and knock out smaller competitors.
No, they couldn't, the moment they cut into Steam bussines in a noticeable way, Valve will reduce their cut and Epic wll be done. If Epic accumulated a huge loss on the way there it wouldn't be able to recover it.
If they are not delusional, they can at best run it nonprofit, and this what they are doing imo, exclusive deals will pay for themselves eventually and operating profit, that amounts to 5% sales revenue, is being spent on platform development and giveaways.

Valve should step up then.

They're not a charity, so they shouldn't, unless they get convinced that they'll loose their market ( publishers and devs ) if they don't, which seems unlikely.

Last edited:

Tehdagah

Arcane
I have over 15k games on Steam on ignore now(which is apparently roughly half of the entire Steam catalogue.) I'd imagine I'm probably in the top .1% — if not even higher — of most games viewed by users on Steam.
From going through all those games I've realized one thing: Most games are awful. I'm not skipping over your game from a lack of exposure, I'm skipping it because something about it sucks. There is no algorithm in the world that can fix most games being complete shit.
This especially applies to games that possibly don't actually suck but I'm tired of seeing rehashes of. 2D "souls-like", metroidvanias, etc., There's so god damn many of them and they all look bland as hell.
A reminder you don't own any of these games :shittydog:

What % of the pie would I get if I enable the chinese supercorporation to destroy all competition and therefore no longer have a reason to buy games off of competing stores?

THQ Nordic says “absolute majority” of Metro Exodus copies were sold on console
Makes sense, the average EGS user is a Fortnite player, they rather play something like Borderlands 3.

passerby

Arcane
It's a very volatile bussiness, so for 99% devs and smaller/medium publishers, the only thing that matters is the profitability of the games they have currently in production, not what a current "protest" could potentially bring them in the future, if they stay in bussiness that is.

Either, they'll get convinced that going Epic exclusive will all things considered probably increase profitability of the project at hand, or not. Either way companies won't be "protesting" anything.
Eventually for smaller devs, there is also a question of risk management and personal financial security, that may sway them in favor of exclusivity deal.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
46601804.jpg
Habla Ingles por favor

the_shadow

Arcane
They don't 'deserve' your money. Consumers don't 'deserve' their products. It's an exchange of money for goods, if you aren't interested in the product, then don't buy it.

Right, which is why they should stfu when people complain that a product doesn't have the features they hoped it would or otherwise wanted and therefore don't use it.

It's one thing to complain, not buy the product, and then get over it (which is what you're doing). It's quite another to pitch a shit-fit like an entitled two year old and start some sort of public movement, review bomb previous games in the franchise, invent conspiracy theories, claim that you are entitled to make demands of the developers because you're a 'fan', and gloat about how you're going to torrent (ie. steal) the game to get one over the developers. Furthermore, if you're going to complain in public, be prepared for people to respond to your complaints, both negatively and positively. It's important for entitled gamers to keep in mind that opinions are a lot like assholes... everyone has one, and usually they aren't worth much.

I can't understand why, with your winning personality.

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
They don't, Valve can drop the % while still offering these services. Epic charges 12% and is still able to offer 8+ free games every month.
Sure, Valve could run their company at break-even, they could even run it at a loss for absolutely no reason if they wanted to. Valve can do a lot of things. That's not what earning means though.
Also you have to be really naïve (or dishonest) if you think Epic is able to offer all those free games and break-even on 12%, and aren't just loss-leading by taking advantage of their massive Fortnite coffers.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Sure, Valve could run their company at break-even, they could even run it at a loss for absolutely no reason if they wanted to. Valve can do a lot of things. That's not what earning means though.
Or they simply can reduce the % revenue for all games instead of just games that sell 500k+. Do they really need 30% from games that sell 10k units? It would be barely relevant for Valve, but a huge thing for small developers.

Also you have to be really naïve (or dishonest) if you think Epic is able to offer all those free games and break-even on 12%, and aren't just loss-leading by taking advantage of their massive Fortnite coffers.
Not relevant for consumers. Recently Amazon released their subsidized Prime service in my country and it's a much better deal the Netflix.

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
Or they simply can reduce the % revenue for all games instead of just games that sell 500k+. Do they really need 30% from games that sell 10k units? It would be barely relevant for Valve, but a huge thing for small developers.
Relevant enough for them to not change it, as it seems. Also, not relevant for consumers. :^)

Not relevant for consumers. Recently Amazon released their subsidized Prime service in my country and it's a much better deal the Netflix.
As long as you realize that it's unsustainable in the long run then that's fine.

Fishy

Savant
With apologies in advance for the stupid question, what does the Steam LGBTQ themed sale has to do with the discussion?

The Decline

Arcane
With apologies in advance for the stupid question, what does the Steam LGBTQ themed sale has to do with the discussion?
He's pointing out that blatant homophobes would rather use Steam with an LGBTQ themed sale than use Epic's featureless tencent store.
Powerful.

Seems like a plus on Steam's part. They provided a list of homo games for you to put on ignore.

Drakron

Arcane
Seems like a plus on Steam's part. They provided a list of homo games for you to put on ignore.

Not really.
There are Winter Wolves titles there and those are ... well BioWare games as they have dating sims mechanics and because they are BioWare games they have same sex options, basically they dumped games that had similar things as well High School Romance that I think its a VN were the protagonist is male but forced to attend a all-girls school.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
I'm confident Gabe will dedicate a whole sale holiday event for people like me who reject jumped up aberrants on principle and recognise them for the vectors of disease and dysfunction that they are

we could have another Steam Grand Prix but with team normie vs team faggot - the signalling would get hot and heavy in the west, but team normie would have the blessings of Emperor of Jade, Xi Jinping! buy games and exchange tokens for all the pages of "Population Density and Social Pathology" by John Bumpass Calhoun, collect them all and learn about the concept of the "behavioral sink"!

on the last day, win or lose, Gabe, who'd obviously be the patron of team normie, would then thank troons for volunteering to get out of the gene pool and do a special dedication to all the parents who course correct and make the decision for their children!
STEAM! STEAM! STEAM! STEAM! STEAM! :bounce:

Last edited:

Mustawd

There's a strong "anti-SJW" contingent here for whom that's a point unto itself, somehow.

If understand correctly Fishy it shows the two pages from what I assume is a US based webpage and what happens if you view the same page but in China.

In other words, China bans homosexual imagery in that page which shows how wrong people are who rail against free speech. Because it impedes on the very rights they are trying to protect and proselytize.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
If understand correctly Fishy it shows the two pages from what I assume is a US based webpage and what happens if you view the same page but in China.

That would be a good point to make and I would apologize for my assumption, but I only see one image?

Epic turning China cuck is definitely a concern, despite Sweeney's insistence otherwise.

Mustawd

That would be a good point to make and I would apologize for my assumption, but I only see one image?

Epic turning China cuck is definitely a concern, despite Sweeney's insistence otherwise.

Oops, I confused the this with the Blizzard thread. In retrospect, I guess the point was that Epic has lgbt sales or whatever. Personally, I find RPGMAKER game sales much more offensive.

Anyhow, here’s the screenshot I was referring to (see below). Although, it’d be interesting if someone made a comparison between the US and the China EPIC websites.

NO_CHINESE_INFLUENCE_BUY_LOOTBOX.png

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
So lesson to gamers is this - You can have sweat shops, death camps, spy on consumers, and dump a billion gallons of toxic sludge into the ocean. But you better provide us with our fag entertainment or we're protesting!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom