Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones - a Lovecraftian Computer RPG

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I got another henchman named Billy Crumb who thinks it's OK to wear a hat over his hood. Come on, man. Not sure how I didn't get this guy before.

Where'd you meet him? Spanish guy was the only permanent hireling I found.
I'll have to be on the lookout for him if I play again to see exactly when he shows up, but he was on the street, near the warehouse when I went back to Arkham to get my tramp stamp from Krogh to get into the theater. I had already dismissed the Spanish guy because he just slows down the tedious final battle. Anyway, I saw a dude I hadn't seen before and talked to him and he acted like he was a fan of mine and wanted to come with me.

He doesn't require payment, but he's even worse than the Spanish dude, since he only has a scalpel. He does seem to switch to masks you wear instead of always using the black mask that the Spanish dude wears if you put on any mask. I tried with the gas mask and the cultist mask. He sadly loses the hat in the gas mask though.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'll have to be on the lookout for him if I play again to see exactly when he shows up, but he was on the street, near the warehouse when I went back to Arkham to get my tramp stamp from Krogh to get into the theater. I had already dismissed the Spanish guy because he just slows down the tedious final battle. Anyway, I saw a dude I hadn't seen before and talked to him and he acted like he was a fan of mine and wanted to come with me.

He doesn't require payment, but he's even worse than the Spanish dude, since he only has a scalpel. He does seem to switch to masks you wear instead of always using the black mask that the Spanish dude wears if you put on any mask. I tried with the gas mask and the cultist mask. He sadly loses the hat in the gas mask though.

Yeah makes sense that a guy you pay will be better than a guy you don't pay.

I also forgot that you can get a hireling in the final area, but eh, that hardly counts since it's minutes away from the end.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
I also forgot that you can get a hireling in the final area, but eh, that hardly counts since it's minutes away from the end.
You mean that dude in Nithon? That's about how shitty Billy Crumb is. Having a dude on your team that late in the game stabbing enemies one time each turn for 3 damage just makes me lose IRL sanity.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
I ran out of bullets with every gun on every character so he fit my party perfectly, a bunch of untrained people swinging at migos

Sloul

Savant
Roguey this is Billy, the crazy guy who fallows you at the beginning of the game. Only it seems Dickie managed to keep him alive far into the game. Which is possible by not visiting pawn shop - which is somewhat easy if you play a melee guy and picked up a lantern, and some fuel, before Billy joins -.

Last edited:

Stakhanov

Augur
Billy Crumb is a
schizophrenic hallucination who dies if you take him into the pawnshop, dropping an artifact. You can also just tell him to piss off or shoot him

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I had a dude with me to the Warehouse. He flipped his shit and got killed by the ghouls or whatever. As soon as he saw them, the game went into cut scene mode and they fucked him up.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Roguey this is Billy, the crazy guy who fallows you at the beginning of the game. Only it seems Dickie managed to keep him alive far into the game. Which is possible by not visiting pawn shop - which is somewhat easy if you play a melee guy and picked up a lantern, and some fuel, before Billy joins -.
Really? I had never seen him before. I guess I just didn't notice him until the end of my 4th playthrough. That makes a lot more sense if he's from early in the game.

Edit: Oh, I see now. I think he only shows up if you don't have the Spaniard, and I've always had him with me the whole game.

Last edited:
I did it, I won! I may never have scored with my fleshy body, but my mind is scoring beyond the stars in what is surely the greatest victory of all for a depraved occultist!

6B43AC37619C57A1C3171C15FE28045AA9EDB60E

I'm enjoying how the extreme shit ramps up in Stygian, too. They're doing a nice job with that. Obviously haven't played Sunken City since it's Epic (Currently, and I can't be bothered to summon it from the astral plane) but this dumps on Focus Home Interactive's recent Call of Cthulhu really soundly despite the shoestring budget. Still a lot of areas that could be improved but it's exceeding my expectations for how much I'm enjoying the setting and story. Since they're getting shit on in the user reviews for the stability (With good reason) I don't know if they're going to keep working on patching it up into a stable point much less make a sequel, but fun stuff.

Stakhanov

Augur
I did it, I won! I may never have scored with my fleshy body, but my mind is scoring beyond the stars in what is surely the greatest victory of all for a depraved occultist!

I'm enjoying how the extreme shit ramps up in Stygian, too. They're doing a nice job with that. Obviously haven't played Sunken City since it's Epic (Currently, and I can't be bothered to summon it from the astral plane) but this dumps on Focus Home Interactive's recent Call of Cthulhu really soundly despite the shoestring budget. Still a lot of areas that could be improved but it's exceeding my expectations for how much I'm enjoying the setting and story. Since they're getting shit on in the user reviews for the stability (With good reason) I don't know if they're going to keep working on patching it up into a stable point much less make a sequel, but fun stuff.

They're working on a patch that will be released at the start of November. They've hinted quite a few times they have plans for Stygian (whether it's in the form of a sequel or maybe DLC additions). After having done most of the heavy lifting, it'd seem kinda silly just to drop it, although obviously the sales and reviews aren't pretty right now.

Damn, bugged out in the Sleeper Beneath battle and had to end the process. Getting pretty tough to press on from here, the sanity hits are nuts and even the damage is getting gnarly since those critters do damage over time. Though next time I attempt it I won't use the Pazuzu spell since all that managed to do was infect my undead bro and beat the shit out of him. Hireling's completely snapped too since I can't prop him up with whiskey like everyone else.

From what I can tell I have to move the PC on to the dig locations and dig out the Sleeper, but once I got there it wasn't giving me access to the dig action. So I tried to open my inventory to see if I could put a shovel in my hands (If that's necessary) and that's where I got hosed. PC failed a sanity check and skipped his turn while I pressed I to bring up the inventory, and the "Do you want to spend 5AP to open your inventory?" screen got stuck there and prevented any other button presses or actions. None of my companions can apparently dig.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Yea, if you had only 5 ap, turn goes to your companion. You need shovel or that ray thingie in the hands.

Yea, if you had only 5 ap, turn goes to your companion. You need shovel or that ray thingie in the hands.
Noted, I'll make sure I've got my shovel in-hand next time I go there. Also sorta wish I had a bunch more laudanum shots made but I suspect I'm nearing the end given how the game's beating on me so I think I'm probably SOL on restocking.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Noted, I'll make sure I've got my shovel in-hand next time I go there. Also sorta wish I had a bunch more laudanum shots made but I suspect I'm nearing the end given how the game's beating on me so I think I'm probably SOL on restocking.
Soldier on!
You will have a fast way through the Blasted street when you kill that "angel". Indeed, the end is near, but you still need those laudanum shots and ferocity or two.

V_K

Arcane
If you didn't notice, you can camp in hermaphrodite's house. Not sure if you have to do his/her quest first for the campfire to appear, I only noticed it after.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
If you didn't notice, you can camp in hermaphrodite's house. Not sure if you have to do his/her quest first for the campfire to appear, I only noticed it after.
You can camp even without talking with it.

Soldier on!
Soldiered on and game wrapped up! Fun stuff, though the bugginess ramped up again in the end. Had to quit and restart the game 3-4 times in that final stretch. I of course did what any occultist should and that was a satisfying dissatisfying ending. Was pretty low level (7 I want to say, by the end? Maybe 6) but I was also pretty light on combat so maybe that made a difference. Like I didn't snoop around Wax Face's lair other than finding the passage in for the magician. Never even saw Wax Face, in fact.

Yup, I noticed. Slept there 2-3 times since I was well stocked on rations and camping supplies but not well stocked on drugs.

V_K

Arcane
I of course did what any occultist should and that was a satisfying dissatisfying ending.
Oh, if you were playing an occultist, you could have an easier time with the Sleeper - the Spit spell works on him without having to dig it out.
Was pretty low level (7 I want to say, by the end? Maybe 6)
That's more or less the standard. The achievement for reaching level 10 is cheekily called "Not in this game".
Never even saw Wax Face, in fact.
You did, when you first went to the French hill, you saw him entering the club and killing a guy on his way.

Oh, if you were playing an occultist, you could have an easier time with the Sleeper - the Spit spell works on him without having to dig it out.
Oh, shit. That would've been nice. In the end it might've been easier to bum-rush it and deal with the 3 goons in there since the enemies spawning in don't attack you once you're past the barrier. You get zapped by the Sleeper as you're uncovering it but spitting once a turn while dealing with the spawns might've been worse. Maybe. Maybe not with high spell power though.

And that was Wax Face!? Shit, I thought it was a random mobster.

I don't think that you can. Wax Face's basement has endless waves of enemies.
That's a bummer to hear. I was hoping if you played a criminal you'd actually get Wax Face quests and solutions to quests. With them being essentially the law and everyone being terrified of them I thought you'd have relatively smooth sailing for a lot of stuff in-town.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Buffed AOE spit? I think it is bug. Spectres in Keelan encounter are immune to physical damage and could not be targeted by spells, but AOE spit works fine on them. There is probably similar thing with a Sleeper.

V_K

Arcane
Buffed AOE spit? I think it is bug. Spectres in Keelan encounter are immune to physical damage and could not be targeted by spells, but AOE spit works fine on them. There is probably similar thing with a Sleeper.
Can't check anymore. I'm pretty sure I targeted the mound itself. The Steam guide says that a regular Spit works if you only dig out one section of him, so there's that.
IIRC, I couldn't get any spells to work on the Spectres in my playthrough, but I don't remember if I had enhanced spells at that point.
If it's a bug, then the enhanced Host of Loa should be the spell of choice for that encounter (once it gets fixed) - you get a shitload of AP and immunity to Sleeper's attacks, should be enough to make short work of him.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I tested infrared goggles on ghouls, they remove "blinded" debuff from your character and your character only. Darkness sanity loss is not present, I think. All these thingies and stuffies in the dark are not active. Sounds logical, but it makes these goggles pretty useless.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
If you play again, you'll know to bring lots of drugs to the boss every fight. Remember you can use them before combat starts. When you got 20 AP and go first every turn, nothing can stop you. My Explorer/Big Game Hunter was able to empty the bulldog pistol every turn (with snapshot for 3 AP shots) when he was on Coca Vin Marie, Powdered Cocaine, Ferocity, and Ampheta-Man. The game is so short that being addicted to analgesics, tobacco, alcohol, AND cocaine isn't even a big deal.

For some reason, I did feel bad turning my dog into a junkie though.

ZiJmj9d.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom