Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Would you want Tactics to be canon?

Would you want Tactics to be canon?

• Total voters

Lurker47

Savant
In an alternate universe, Fallout somehow lands in the hands of people who legitimately care about world-building. Would you want Tactics (I'd say most people share the same opinions on the status of 2, BoS, 3, NV, and 4 unless you're an absolute purist) to be considered a part of the main game continuity?

Very specific topic but I want to get a broad consensus.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Fallout Tactics had a great engine and brought many good ideas in the gameplay department. As for the setting and story, only Fallout 1 is of consistent high quality.

Lurker47

Savant
In an alternate universe, Fallout somehow lands in the hands of people who legitimately care about world-building. Would you want Tactics (I'd say most people share the same opinions on the status of 2, BoS, 3, NV, and 4 unless you're an absolute purist) to be considered a part of the main game continuity?

Very specific topic but I want to get a broad consensus.
What did I spell incorrectly

deuxhero

Arcane
I'd be fine with the general idea of some Brotherhood members traveling east to locate some important technology they feel the need to control. I'd even accept that they wiped out some raiders and recruited grateful villagers as manpower for searching (but not giving anything more advanced than a slugthrower and basic medical supplies).

howlingFantods

Learned
What did I spell incorrectly

Cannon%2C_Ch%C3%A2teau_du_Haut-Koenigsbourg%2C_France.jpg

Insert Title Here
Tactics had a great atmosphere, looked really good and the equipment progression was nice as well. Major downsides were Vault 0 and some other things not fitting with earlier lore, and the actual combat mechanics feeling shitty, especially if you were familiar with Jagged Alliance 2. Not being able to right click to alternate between movement and shooting was infuriating.

Edit: The writing was still better than anything Bethesda cooked up. Remove some things and I would have been fine with it.

the_shadow

Arcane
The story is Tactics was OK, I guess it doesn't hurt to have another branch of the storyline to build on for future games if the other ones get stale.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sure it looked best of all true Fallouts games (Bethpizda abortions need not to apply), had nice ideas like BoS turning onto Feudal society of powered plate donning Neo Conquistadors leading the army of conscripted peasants, Beast Masters were nice addition and I don't mind the Boss and end opponents being rouge AI. From what I remember the combat was not as great as JA2 was sure but it was still above original Fallout's I wished Exile would licence the Fallout Tactics Engine and assets and use them instead of going onto the bland Unity 3D garbage.

All Tactics needs is a bit of dusting and re-arranging here and there, and it can fit easily within Fallout canon. Lemme remember the issues:

- Canon story issues like "BOS came from Military Vault", "The Master messed with Deathclaws"*, Vault 0 and its not fitting within the Vault experiment, they can easily be dealt with.
- The Aesthetics are not retro enough, not gonna lie.
- All the real-world guns need to go and get name/appearance changes. Its bizarre that a game in the post-apoc future is littered with WWI, WWII and Cold War era weaponry, most of which should't even have existed post-divergence, anyway. I would keep only a few - the M2 Browning, the AK47, the Pancor Jackhammer**, maybe the M1 Garand. Anything else, give it slight art-lifts and a new name.
- Change the Hummer and APC to more Fallout aesthetics and names as well.
- The whole storyline works in the Fallout world. All the groups and factions (Midwestern BOS, Beastlords, Reavers, Gammorin's Army) make sense and work in the Fallout universe.

*this is actually their original origin, but it got changed later on. I think the Fallout walkthrough (written by one of the designers) references it, which is how it got in FOT.
**Because its too damn cool not to and FO universe seems like the universe where the Pancor Jackhammer would get the green light. Desert Eagle is a 70s gun and it still exists despite the divergence.

BoS turning onto Feudal society of powered plate donning Neo Conquistadors leading the army of conscripted peasants

Yeah that was done pretty well. In a way, I feel it shows why the Brotherhood has their strict code and what happens when they start shedding it, first ideologically and then out of desperation during the war. Its pretty clear at the end of the game that even as the Brotherhood is winning the war, its becoming more and more of a brutal dictatorship. Dudes had Internment Camps and Inquisitors by the end. They won a war and saved humanity, but were clearly on the way to become techno-fascists.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom