Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Beamdog working on a new D&D CRPG (cancelled)

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'll buy the game provided they can explain to me what a Beamdog is. A dog that shoots laser beams from its ass? A dog with a beaming smile?

I think Trent Oster said in an interview that Beamdog was inspired by "where people go to get their games" in the sense that people would just torrent their games, or grab and download them from GOG & Steam. So he wanted "Great Games: Easy" or something like that.

I suppose he knew his games would be shit, and he was subconciously telling people to just pirate them.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Still you sorely need the vital updates, and even then they don't seem to be able to figure out the game's they created 20 years ago, because they keep coming... -_-

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I guess their new RPG thing is going into production? Several new job postings, especially artists: https://www.beamdog.com/careers/

And also narrative designer:

NARRATIVE DESIGNER

Beamdog, the company behind the Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment, and Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Editions, is looking for a Narrative Designer to join our fast growing team!

Reporting to the Design Manager, the Writer will help us craft compelling, immersive narrative content for our upcoming titles. They will collaborate with the Project Leads and the art team to help drive the vision and aesthetic forwards.

Responsibilities:
  • Collaborate with other writers, designers, artists, and Project Leadership to develop compelling story content that matches the project’s tone and creative vision.
  • Write combat barks and quest banter that fits with the creative direction of the game.
  • Write and maintain any text needed for character bios, write lore for objects, locations, items, etc.
  • Support all team members with high-quality collaboration
  • Support and contribute to the iteration process.
  • Assist, when required, with any marketing/PR initiatives that require writing.
  • Assist the Project leadership with any needs related to writing and narrative.
Requirements:
  • A good understanding of basic game-design fundamentals and principles.
  • Able to craft a clear, coherent and engaging story.
  • Strong understanding of branching narratives.
  • Demonstrate an ability to create an emotional response in characters and players within the context of game narrative.
  • Understanding of scripting languages such as Unreal Blueprint.
  • Both willingness to receive and provide constructive critical feedback.
  • Understanding of editing standards and experience editing both creative and technical documents.
  • Displays excellent written and verbal communication skills.
  • Able to collaborate across disciplines and respond to feedback/notes in a mature and timely manner.
  • Strong research, analytical, and problem-solving skills to help creative teams navigate game and project technical/resource limitations.
  • Able and willing to iterate and juggle multiple project requirements.
  • The ideal candidate will have shipped at least one title on PC and/or console.
Bonus points:
  • Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in related English, Creative Writing, Theatre, or Film.
  • Previous professional experience as a writer in the game or entertainment industry.
  • Experience with JIRA, Perforce, and other project management tools.
  • Interest in tabletop roleplaying, especially as a GM/DM
  • Experience in theatre sports/improv.

Postings for artists have preferences to AAA experiences.

I wonder if this will be a resurgence of the weird western game. It looks like their original IP after all.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
NARRATIVE DESIGNER

company behind the Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment, and Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Editions, is looking for a Narrative Designer to join our fast growing team!.

86023f6990444fb3c3a36f3615481961.png

Deleted Member 16721

Trent said that Beamdog's relationship with Wizards of the Coast is really good, and eventually Beamdog was going to do a 5th Edition D&D game, a new game, with WotC's support. I still expect that to happen (hopefully it will) but right now they are working on that Axis & Allies game. Would be awesome if they somehow updated the Infinity Engine and cranked out games in that engine with depth like the original IE games. One can dream, I guess...

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Well they're using Unreal Engine 4 for their next RPG. I'd guess that RPG also will be turn-based (well, unless they're going for some AA+ level.)

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Trent said that Beamdog's relationship with Wizards of the Coast is really good, and eventually Beamdog was going to do a 5th Edition D&D game, a new game, with WotC's support. I still expect that to happen (hopefully it will) but right now they are working on that Axis & Allies game. Would be awesome if they somehow updated the Infinity Engine and cranked out games in that engine with depth like the original IE games. One can dream, I guess...

What you mean like Aurora? Electron? Eclipse?

The Infinity Engine has been updated.. several times.

Deleted Member 16721

Siege of Dragonspear was good bro, especially if you played through BG1 first and went right into it (SCS optional, whatever.)

Tom Selleck

Arcane
Yeah man, I liked it a lot, I especially loved the parts where it wasn't good at all and the story and writing sucked balls and how the whole thing was an exercise in creative bankruptcy and desperation and the video game equivalent of some dude named Darren your mom started dating trying to replace your cool soldier GSG-9 dad who died in combat by buying you a dollar store knockoff transformable robot that breaks in the package

7.5/10

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Gaider briefly mentioned his Beamdog project in PAX AUS talk, as many have guessed it was canceled because they couldn't secure the funding:

Washed away by the Tides.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Curious that nobody would sponsor it. Publishers sponsor all kinds of garbage, why not this one?

Also, why didn't they try kickstarter?

Weird.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Trent said that Beamdog's relationship with Wizards of the Coast is really good,

Small wonder as WOTC has never done anything meaningful with DnD. The exception may be 5th Edition from a sales viewpoint, but many will say that it has been dumbed down.

3rd Edition was pretty good but it built heavily upon the last stages of AD&D, and it quickly turned into a massive money grab, with all the different books, the OGL, and 3.5 (which proves original 3rd was a bit flawed).

Still from a setting viewpoint 3rd was a big letdown, the only original setting from that era is... Eberron, and it's not really the best DnD has to offer.

All in all in 20 years we haven't gotten a really good DnD videogame, unlike in the 90s, and we've got WOTC to blame.

Cael

Arcane
Trent said that Beamdog's relationship with Wizards of the Coast is really good,

Small wonder as WOTC has never done anything meaningful with DnD. The exception may be 5th Edition from a sales viewpoint, but many will say that it has been dumbed down.

3rd Edition was pretty good but it built heavily upon the last stages of AD&D, and it quickly turned into a massive money grab, with all the different books, the OGL, and 3.5 (which proves original 3rd was a bit flawed).

Still from a setting viewpoint 3rd was a big letdown, the only original setting from that era is... Eberron, and it's not really the best DnD has to offer.

All in all in 20 years we haven't gotten a really good DnD videogame, unlike in the 90s, and we've got WOTC to blame.
Reminder: Woke of the coast was very proud to announce the first ever in tabletop card gaming: Blatantly in-your-face male homosexual couple in MTG.

DnD after 3.5 under woke of the coast was doomed to fail. It never stood a chance.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Gaider briefly mentioned his Beamdog project in PAX AUS talk, as many have guessed it was canceled because they couldn't secure the funding:

Washed away by the Tides.

Also confirmed by Trent Oster in latest Matt Chat.

He says Hasbro was against doing a crowdfunding campaign.

Deleted Member 16721

Well, there was Dungeons & Dragons: Tactics for the PSP, but I kind of understand why you would overlook it.

61%2BZxDpO4AL.jpg

Very underrated. It's got combat deeper than ToEE, believe it or not. The only problem was it was too easy. Later levels became a chore because nothing posed a risk to your overpowered party. It even has choice and consequence in it, with different outcomes. And it has a storyline based on your alignment. Very cool game.

Theldaran

Liturgist

Well, there was Dungeons & Dragons: Tactics for the PSP, but I kind of understand why you would overlook it.

61%2BZxDpO4AL.jpg

No, I know of that game, but somehow, I'm too lazy to emulate it. Now I'm waiting for the likes of Black Geyser, Realms Beyond, Solasta and Encased, they look promising even if they're indie through and through.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom