Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Disco Elysium: Welcome to Revachol

Prime Junta

But since we are on it I strongly dislike the movie as well, so fuck you too, you goddamn Lynch nuthugger.

I like a man with opinions. :salute:

Kasparov what's the party line on Lynch anyway? I seem to recall Marat Sar going on about not liking him but maybe I'm just confused.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Lynch is not pretentious in the slightest. He is incredibly self-indulgent to such a degree that he's off-putting to a great many people.

I'm suspecting that Roguey (who loved Numenera, ironically enough) either doesn't know what pretentious means, or simply doesn't get DE.

I agree that Tides of Numenera is pretentious, however it's pretentious in a way that doesn't bother me; I can easily skim past those parts and enjoy it on a surface level. In DE, every screen of dialogue I've seen looks insufferable. The premise is not pretentious, but the execution is.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
But since we are on it I strongly dislike the movie as well, so fuck you too, you goddamn Lynch nuthugger.

Kasparov what's the party line on Lynch anyway? I seem to recall Marat Sar going on about not liking him but maybe I'm just confused.
I don't know about party lines, but I like some of his things a lot. I'm literally about to draw a bath and start reading his biography Room to Dream.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

I don't know about party lines, but I like some of his things a lot. I'm literally about to draw a bath and start reading his biography Room to Dream.

Dat iz ze gud buk!

Latro

Arcane
Lynch is not pretentious in the slightest.
People confuse "pretentious" with "facile", Lynch is always after a very specific atmosphere/expression in his work, even if the idea itself isn't actually that great when you get it. There's a part in an interview where he explains that he doesn't explain the ideas because it takes away from the work, and it's usually because the expression of the idea is more important than the idea itself. He's an audio/visual artist through and through, even to the point where it is a bit superficial.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Lynch is not pretentious in the slightest.
People confuse "pretentious" with "facile", Lynch is always after a very specific atmosphere/expression in his work, even if the idea itself isn't actually that great when you get it. There's a part in an interview where he explains that he doesn't explain the ideas because it takes away from the work, and it's usually because the expression of the idea is more important than the idea itself. He's an audio/visual artist through and through, even to the point where it is a bit superficial.

Also he is TM cultist and TM-inspired insights are not supposed to be explainable for the average retarded viewer.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

When your novel will be published in English?

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Some time next year? I only know that publishing anything takes time and ZA/UM is focusing on getting the game to you guys rn

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
they announced the console version (which would be the complete game, including ep 5) two years ago as "coming early 2018" and nothing has been done.
what was the "major update in 2018?"

Momock

Augur
I've only seen the first 30 minutes of the game (I don't want to spoil myself) and I don't know if it's pretentious or not. I just know that it's genuinely hilarious, totaly my type of humor.

Prime Junta

they announced the console version (which would be the complete game, including ep 5) two years ago as "coming early 2018" and nothing has been done.

Maybe the real Episode 5 was the cop game that we found on the way.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

Maybe the real Episode 5 was the cop game that we found on the way.

tumblr_p34sr0GeIX1s4jp1ro1_1280.png

Uncreation

Savant
The fuck is this shit? "funky-baby holocaust time"?!? Lol, is that even supposed to mean anything? From the description of the city it sounds like it might be an interesting setting. But they just seem to pour empty words over everything in order to make it sound... i don't even know, interesting, deep, sophisticated? Sometimes less is more and a bunch of fancy sounding words thrown in for no good reason can turn something interesting into something pretentious and ridiculous.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The fuck is this shit? "funky-baby holocaust time"?!? Lol, is that even supposed to mean anything? From the description of the city it sounds like it might be an interesting setting. But they just seem to pour empty words over everything in order to make it sound... i don't even know, interesting, deep, sophisticated? Sometimes less is more and a bunch of fancy sounding words thrown in for no good reason can turn something interesting into something pretentious and ridiculous.

It makes sense in context

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

shut up you popamole decline jewish whoredrob

Uncreation

Savant

shut up you popamole decline jewish whoredrob

Goose

Learned
This game isn't gonna be what you think it is, and all the shills on this forum are ridiculous. I can only assume most are Resetera moles or Communist sympathisers from Eastern Europe. This is Torment: Tides of Numenera pt2 for multiple reasons. Whether the studio is from California or Estonia the subject matter is exactly the same.

I got banned from another forum just for talking about the the game itself. Now try to imagine getting banned for talking about the stupid shit Drow say in Baldur's Gate.

I'm not sure why you put racial theory in your game as a concept if it's so verboten to discuss, or why you have Fascism.

I've watched the whole game, and since I can't spoil it, I'll just say there are several uppity NPCs who do a whole lot of preaching and most responses end up being variations of "Yes, Ma'am".

You play a depressed drug addict loser who gets made fun of by everyone and has wild fever dreams of starting a Communist revolution. It's basically made for ResetEra.

The guys from Chapo Trap House are voice actors for fuck sake, that should tell you everything you need to know.

It's also way more linear than I thought it would be.

Last edited:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

You got any of that bathwater for sale? Asking for a friend whose identity I will not disclose, but he's a commie from the same country as me and knows computer programming pretty well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom