Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Stop tempting my sci-fi addicted ass to buy walking sim Tacoma.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://af.gog.com/news/join_us_in_support_of_the_international_day_against_drm?as=1649904300

JOIN US IN SUPPORT OF THE INTERNATIONAL DAY AGAINST DRM

This year, join us on October 12th for the International Day Against DRM, as we help spread knowledge and information about the benefits of DRM-free games, movies, and other forms of media.

Organized by the Free Software Foundation and spread through its Defective by Design campaign, the International Day Against DRM’s mission is to one day eliminate DRM restrictions as a threat to privacy, freedom, and innovation in media. This year’s object focuses on how restrictive digital rights can hinder access to textbooks and academic publications. Obviously, these ideals hit extremely close to our gaming hearts.

GOG.COM is the place where all your games are DRM-free, meaning you can store and enjoy the games that you bought without the need to constantly stay online and repeatedly prove your ownership. This is one of the core pillars we built our service around 11 years ago and continue to maintain today.

We deeply believe in giving gamers the freedom of choice. We understand that some gamers may prefer to rent or stream their games and that’s totally fine! We simply believe in allowing gamers to choose how they consume their media - whether it’s renting, streaming, or owning their games DRM-free.

Both solutions have their benefits, but owning your games without restrictions means having the ability to backup your games, access them offline, and easily preserve a piece of gaming heritage for future generations. You can read more about the benefits of DRM-free media on our FCK DRM page and make sure to visit the Defective by Design page to learn more about their cause, as well.

What is your experience with DRM in various media? Are GOG.COM and similar DRM-free storefronts your only source of games or do you get them on other platforms as well? Let us know in the comments!

Heh, GOG is participating it as FCK DRM, instead of just GOG.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I think this year's theme and focus is a pretty good one. Even though there are resources to find all kinds of academic texts and publications for free, it's the institutionalized restriction of these that irks me quite a bit.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/gog-galaxy-20-wants-to-be-the-one-client-to-rule-them-all/

GOG Galaxy 2.0 wants to be the one client to rule them all
Can GOG Galaxy unify PC gaming’s messy collection of platforms?

Though Steam is still the dominant retail force in PC gaming, the scene is starting to fragment. EA has Origin, Ubisoft has Uplay, Microsoft has an arcane catacomb of systems that loosely resembles a storefront, and with the arrival of the Epic Games Store we’re opening more launchers than ever. At PC Gamer our taskbars are busy with quick-launch icons for different clients, and it’s enough to make us keen for the PC gaming equivalent of a universal remote—one client to rule them all. This is the problem that GOG have set out to solve with GOG Galaxy 2.0.

“We took a look at a couple of popular titles,” says designer Piotr Karwowski. “Fortnite, PUBG, Apex Legends, Overwatch, Rainbow Six: Siege, Destiny, Sea of Thieves, League of Legends, Dota, World of Tanks. We picked the ones that we believe are big, popular, there’s no scientific method behind this. We checked if you need a launcher to play those – and by the way this is not the most evil example you can find, actually we realised that for just those ten games you need eight different clients.

“I’m pretty sure that there are games where you need two different clients, because you buy a game on a platform and the platform opens the client.” GOG Galaxy 2.0 has been in development for two years, and hopes to serve as a master client that lets you quickly launch any game on your PC irrespective of the platform the game is tethered to. I watch as Karwowski signs into Battle.Net using Galaxy 2.0.

With the aid of his Blizzard Authenticator, the integration verifies in seconds and the Galaxy 2.0 library populates with Karwowski’s Blizzard games. It’s impressive, and if you buy new games in Battle.net, they appear automatically in your Galaxy 2.0 library too. The platform is syncing with all of your clients whenever you log in.

“This app should be really fast,” says Karwowski. “Using this app when it comes to browsing, launching, should be the fastest experience you will get across all the apps because why else would you use it? We think it should be the best experience you can get when it comes to managing your library.”

Unified front
Removing client permissions from Galaxy 2.0 is just as easy. The client immediately stops syncing. “There’s one more thing which we did which I think should be a standard when it comes to any apps or platforms that amass user data.

“If you disconnect from GOG Galaxy all of your data you’ve imported into Galaxy will be removed from our servers as well. It’s one-click import and one-click remove.”

Once you’ve built your cohesive library, you can launch those games directly without logging into further programs. In the demo I’m shown, GOG launches a game in seconds without any intermediary steps.

If you have ever forgotten a game existed because it’s tucked away in Origin, Galaxy will be of obvious benefit, but there are also powerful sorting tools and your library can be tweaked to your needs. You can sort games by genre tags, or series tags that can pull up, for example, every Assassin’s Creed game you own. Fancy playing a shooter? Sort the library by games with the uninstalled tag, and the FPS tag, and take your pick. GOG has anticipated that Galaxy’s library could contain a thousand or more games for avid hobbyists, so the search and filter functions are extensive and heavily customisable.

This does require some admin on the user’s part, and I look forward to the UI being refined over time. Galaxy can pull a lot of information about your games when you link it to a client, but if you want naming conventions to sync up across your library, or want to create precise tags, you have to do a bit of organisational work. Galaxy also keeps track of game stats like ‘time played’ and lets you compare stats with other players in your friends list.

For GOG, social features are almost as important as providing a unified game library. “In the early days we had this one sentence that stayed in our head like an earworm that wouldn’t let go: all the games and friends in one place,” says Karwowski. “That means GOG Galaxy 2.0 will import the games from different PC platforms with activities, achievements, and stats.”

Social space
Eventually GOG wants to provide a unified friends list that let you chat with a cross platform version of your friends list. GOG also hopes that plugins will give it new functionality. Karwowski gives the example of a plugin that might let you stream Xbox games to a Mac or PC.

Galaxy 2.0 has identified an area of friction for those of us with games scattered across various services. It’s already promising more features than the Epic Game Store which, as I write this, still doesn’t even let you type in the name of a game to search your library. It’s also a prescient move at a time when the big platform players like Microsoft are looking to adopt a ‘play anything, anywhere’ service for the next generation of games they publish.

GOG Galaxy 2.0 might be about to run headfirst into new forms of game distribution, most notably subscription services and, further down the line, streaming services. The notion of a mega-client that houses downloadable games may, in time, become obsolete. Until then, Galaxy 2.0 should solve a lot of annoying PC gaming problems. The service is in closed beta testing, but you can sign up at gogalaxy.com.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Sasuga, GOG.
AC9q5st.png

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
You get discounts for being subscribed to the newsletter? I've been subscribed for like ever and haven't received any. Not that I open the e-mails.

Tom Selleck

Arcane
Also, does anyone know how to actually see either the DLC or the 'extras' from GOG 2.0? At a glance, I don't know how to tell if I have a particular DLC or expansion or if I have any like, soundtracks for a game

Dux

Arcane
For those of you using the beta: is there any rough estimate on when GOG Galaxy 2.0 will be released to the public? End of year?

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
What's up with this avalanche of sales? GOG used to do a weekly sale and maybe a few titles for a weekend sale. Now they also do midweek sales, publisher sales, AND event (cons and pre-order hype) sales. I'd gladly trade in these sales for a wider scope of classic releases.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Every time I see new post on GoG thread I get my hope up that I will see announcement for a release of a good old strategy game, only to be disappointed every time.

Dux

Arcane
Agreed, even though by now the GOG library is so extensive that it is really only a handful of (actual good old) games that I feel are still missing.

Head over to myabandonware.com and have a look at the DOS and the Windows sections. There are literally hundreds of good old games currently stuck in limbo. Although "good" is subjective, I guess.

Here are some games I personally find interesting and they're just a few:

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/blood-magic-48g
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/secret-weapons-of-the-luftwaffe-1xo
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/guilty-23q
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/marco-polo-49z
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/discworld-noir-48j

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom