Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

2house2fly

Magister
An AD&D fanatic gronard and medieval fantasy fanboy was teaching a class on Bioware, known action-adventure studio

”Before the class begins, you must get on your knees and worship Bioware and accept that it was the best rpg developer world has ever known, even greater than Troika!”

At this moment, a brave, innovative, pro-crowdfunding Ars Magica game master who played 1500 hours of Pillars of Eternity and understood the necessity of streamlining and fully supported all design decisions made by Josh Sawyer to eliminate prebuffing stood up and held up a copy of BG2.

”What is this, pinhead?”

The arrogant professor smirked quite Jewishly and smugly replied “The best RPG ever made, you stupid larper”

”Wrong. It doesn't even have C&C. If it was the best, as you say, RPG… then it should have been balanced”

The professor was visibly shaken, and dropped his chalk and copy of D&D 2nd edition. He stormed out of the room crying those kensai-mage crocodile tears. The same tears kensai-mages cry for the “itemisation” (who today have such selection that most own 23 unique swords) when they jealously try to claw justly earned auto-attacks from the deserving martial classes. There is no doubt that at this point our professor, Edwin, wished he had learned another ruleset and become more than a nostalgiafag. He wished so much that he had an in-game gamepedia, but he himself had petitioned against them!

The students applauded and all registered as fig backers that day and accepted Feargus Urquhart as their lord and savior. An eagle named “Obsidian” flew into the room and perched atop director's board and shed a tear on the chalk. The pillars of Eternity gameguide was read several times, and Tim Cain himself showed up and announced a new IP.

The professor lost his tenure and was fired the next day. He died of The Awakening and was tossed into the In-Between for all eternity.

Watcher of Caed Nua.
can tell anyone what me is problem is? i just went and then they saw what they do it happened when, what mean does that? Game wont fucking save now.
It was funny to see these two posts on the same page. One a well-done reworking of a popular meme, the other the result of typing "can" into talktotransformer.

So no ultimate edition for PC?

Also, how do you guys think a third PoE game would pan out storywise? The second game's ending is pretty definitive imo, with not much being left untouched. They'll probably have to do something entirely new with it it, IF there'll ever be a third game.
Based on the content added in the 5.0 patch, I would expect the plot of a third game to revolve around the construction of the "new Wheel" possibly in Rekke's formerly-isolated homeland Yezuha, and a power struggle among the gods- as predicted by both Woedica and Eothas. If they're in Yezuha then they could have another setup of multiple factions establishing outposts, each wanting to make the new Wheel in their image, with possibly multiple endings depending on which god/faction you aid to victory.

Why Yezuha? That's for the writers to figure out, but the Forgotten Sanctum has a lore book suggesting it was cut off from the rest of the world for some specific reason. They could also go with the Living Lands, whose world biodiversity and weirdness makes it a good candidate a) for a setting where interesting things can happen, b) a good in-story site for a machine which will harness and direct life force, the implication being that the Living Lands have life force to spare.

The Forgotten Sanctum also contains a hint that a single person serves as a "seed" for the creation of a god, which could also be a suggestion of an ending where the Watcher is ascended to godhood, possibly becoming the new God Of The Wheel or something like that. I hate that idea, but it does have a ring of "end of trilogy" to it

Nines_Anarch

Learned
It's infurating that competition between Larian-Obsidian-Inxile ended up being entirely about production values.
Larian clearly won the "fun game" competition, even on the Codex.
Won over what? it is 32th in last popularity poll and megathread separated in 2017 after release is embarrassingly short for a game of this caliber.
Quite a surprising with all rants about TB supremacy being trendy on Codex this season.

What about Owlcat Games? It's the dev company that has more potential as of now. The revelation of past year.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
I have no idea what any of this stuff means but here's another Josh post.

https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/18...e-possible-to-ask-for-some-more-details#notes

Would it be possible to ask for some more details on how Ordhjóma works? I’m ridiculously curious about the grammar (does it have cases? What’s the sentence structure?...), any rules for arriving at Ordhjóma words from the “parent languages”... (Also, how do you feel about people trying to come up with names etc. that fit the rules of your conlangs?)

I think that Alex Scokel wound up developing Ordhjóma more than I did, but I believe it is an inflected language (like Icelandic and also like Old English, which is the basis for Eld Aedyran).

My process for generating words is relatively simple and lazy. If there are multiple languages that serve as the inspiration for the constructed language, I look up how each of those languages represents the word in question. I eliminate options that are contemporary / not etymologically “pure”. E.g., German takes various loanwords from French (like Trikot from the French tricot for a sports jersey), but I wouldn’t use a French loanword in German as the basis for a German-inspired conlang word.

I take the words that are left and I try combining elements from each word to create a new word. E.g. the word for (male) horse in French is cheval, in Italian cavallo, and in Occitan caval. To make the Vailian word for horse, I might try:

chaval
chevallo
chavallo

Or I might start changing letters.

cievallo
chiavallo
chavalle

When I have a few options I like, I search for them on google and in dictionaries to make sure I’m not actually “making up” a word that already exists – which can be difficult sometimes, especially if the word is very short.

I also double check whatever our existing grammar/gender rules are to ensure the endings don’t break the standard (usually – sometimes languages break their own “rules”, e.g. el idioma).

Probably the easiest place to see my process for this is in Pallegina’s rant in Neketaka. Warning: profanity follows!

Vu maddicche postenago! Buffan vi! Cues es malgro me fulpa med tuor! Peri chue na cracuna ve engeri! Vu tros men merla!

You damned idiot! Fuck yourself! This is all your fault anyway! I hope a kraken swallows you! You piece of shit!

vu = you = tu/vous, but obviously she’s being “informal” here

postenago = carrot, but colloquially “idiot”. i think i saw something about cabbage or potato being a colloquially slur in one of the 10,000 different Italian regional dialects. I don’t think there’s any actual etymology here. I just made up an Italianish word and said, “Yeah, that’s carrot.”

maddicche = damned (as an adjective with masculine ending modifying postenago). We already had “maddiccho” (damn! as an outburst). I think I saw “dannato” and mixed it with “maledizione”. Then I (much later) made an adjective form.

buffan - Italian has an astounding number of ways to tell someone to fuck off or go fuck themselves. I think I took this from vuffanculo (”go do it/fuck yourself in the ass”), snipped off the “culo”, and added the b from the french baiser, which, as many French students will tell you with embarrassment, is “kiss” as a noun, but “fuck” as a verb.

vi = reflexive imperative form of vu. When someone says “fuck yourself”, it has to be short and to the point. As in most Romance languages, the imperative verb comes first, followed by the subject.

And so on down the line. With some of these, the inspiration is more obvious than others. The important thing to me is that it captures the spirit of a dominantly Italian, but also French- and Occitan-inspired language without directly using words wholesale.

For Ordhjóma, I’d look at Icelandic, Faroese, and maybe Norwegian. To separate it from Old English (and, by extension, Eld Aedyran), I’d look up Old English words to avoid using them in case there’s overlap. That can help distinguish the languages.

Last edited by a moderator:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I appreciate the passion he has for constructed languages. It's a pity everything came out looking like either Welsh or Italian.

Atchodas

Augur
Lol if this turd spent half of that time and energy polishing the combat pillows would be much better game, all the made up Italian words don't matter for shit if characters can't follow orders in rtwp combat because of retarded pathfinding and not even melees like in PoE1 in derpfire even ranged characters are incapable of taking a step forward to cast a spell and god forbid initial target moves out of range then your char just gets stuck there like a retard, but hey palleginas dialogue is what matters :negative: I honestly wonder if this cuck actually plays his own games I mean no sane developer could be happy with the way pillars combat and especially pathfinding works

Elex

Arbiter
Lol if this turd spent half of that time and energy polishing the combat pillows would be much better game, all the made up Italian words don't matter for shit if characters can't follow orders in rtwp combat because of retarded pathfinding and not even melees like in PoE1 in derpfire even ranged characters are incapable of taking a step forward to cast a spell and god forbid initial target moves out of range then your char just gets stuck there like a retard, but hey palleginas dialogue is what matters :negative: I honestly wonder if this cuck actually plays his own games I mean no sane developer could be happy with the way pillars combat and especially pathfinding works
yeah the problem of this game is pathfinder.

Vatnik Wumao
I appreciate the passion he has for constructed languages. It's a pity everything came out looking like either Welsh or Italian.
Sawyer ain't no Tolkien. All his (pseudo)linguistic wankery ends up being an extra annoyance for the player and adds nothing of value to the setting, being of an amateurish homebrew quality.

asterix

Educated
Time spent undoing the work of others is time well spent.

Fair. I suppose I just had a knee-jerk reaction from seeing "Obsidian" and "actual effort" in the same sentence.

Sawyer ain't no Tolkien. All his (pseudo)linguistic wankery ends up being an extra annoyance for the player and adds nothing of value to the setting, being of an amateurish homebrew quality.

How dare you? Were you not impressed by the faux-Italian, and faux-Welsh, and...

Josh Sawyer said:
My process for generating words is relatively simple and lazy.

Oh, nevermind.

Gibson

Learned
after i finish underrail one day (this year hopefully) I'll need a break from TB and go with rtwp.
Deadfire is on sale @ GOG.com (27€ for the whole shebang-a-bang) - you think it worthy of this price? it sounds pretty fair priced as long as i finish at least once.
have they cleaned up the lore-dump and other bloat and streamlined it or rather is it smoother to play than PoE1? or should i rather wait for the price drop of PF:K?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's only worth playing if you like its ...peculiar brand of RTwP or mangled TB.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's worth playing if you like RTwP but don't mind a weird ruleset and an equally weird setting

after i finish underrail one day (this year hopefully) I'll need a break from TB and go with rtwp.
Deadfire is on sale @ GOG.com (27€ for the whole shebang-a-bang) - you think it worthy of this price? it sounds pretty fair priced as long as i finish at least once.
have they cleaned up the lore-dump and other bloat and streamlined it or rather is it smoother to play than PoE1? or should i rather wait for the price drop of PF:K?
Deadfire has, in my honest opinion, the best RTwP implementation in an RPG.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Deadfire has, in my honest opinion, the best RTwP implementation in an RPG.
That's like winning the special olympics.

Gibson

Learned
It's worth playing if you like RTwP but don't mind a weird ruleset and an equally weird setting

I don't mind the rtwp (underrail is proving to be quite a tb bite to chew through so a change in pace will be welcomed at the end) and I didn't find it particularly bad in PoE1 but the game itself (not just the lore-dumps) felt just so fucking bloated that i didn't have the strength to plow through it.

have they drastically changed the ruleset compared to PoE1?

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I tried 3 times to start a TB playthrough and 3 times I gave up almost immediately. Combat is so slow, chances are you'll die of old age before leaving the tutorial island. Only a literal autist high as a kite on speed could enjoy this shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom